[Beta Update] - 540411

• Developer

Changes:

• Resurrecting using a Life Giving Amulet no longer spawns a skeleton (ALL).
  • Bundles can no longer be placed in the Teleportato container (ALL).
  • The pig shop Swinesbury Mineral Exchange now has a more expensive crafting recipe (HAM).

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes Shipwrecked compatible worlds crashing on load (SW).
  • Fixes Living Artifact not improving Wagstaff's eyesight (HAM).
  • Water Beefalos and Beefalos will correctly give up on their target after not hitting them for a while (ALL).
  • Fixes a non-looping Tar Extractor animation (SW, HAM).
  • World jumping will no longer regenerate sub-worlds of other maps (SW, HAM).
    • E.g.: Perform a world jump (using the Teleportato) on Shipwrecked will not regenerate the caves and ruins, only the volcano.

View full update

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 1

Oof. Fixing the caves and ruins being reset independent of the RoG world is a huge hit to some people. It was obviously an over sight to begin with but that sounds more controversial than even the pinecone fix. People who like making permanent bases in those areas though will be happy however, so it does fix that issue specifically.

I very much appreciate single player updates but there are a couple of wasp nests that you're poking at. I don't particularly care, bugs are bugs no matter how much emotion you put into them.  But if it came to finding a middle ground then the long term solutions could be balanced vanilla "replacements" to these bugs. Kind of like how we got lamp posts in trade for no infinite lantern bug, same result but you made the player work for that level of  power and deph instead of abusing a bug.

In the end it's your guy's game design over everything else, I just know some people aren't going to like these fixes either so backlash is to be expected. I'm just grateful this decade old piece of art still gets attention with likely no profit incentive.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, DiogoW said:
  • Resurrecting using a Life Giving Amulet no longer spawns a skeleton (ALL).
  • Bundles can no longer be placed in the Teleportato container (ALL).
  • World jumping will no longer regenerate sub-worlds of other maps (SW, HAM).
    • E.g.: Perform a world jump (using the Teleportato) on Shipwrecked will not regenerate the caves and ruins, only the volcano.

why?

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Oof. Fixing the caves and ruins being reset is a huge hit to some people. I'm sure I can get over it but that sounds more controversial than even the pinecone fix. 

There's definitely gonna be a bit of an outcry, but I guess I'll get my first opinion in there as a long time player (8 years, been playing since pre-SW) and say this is a HUGE boon for megabasing even if it doesnt appear that way. We just went from having 3 worlds to build in, to... counts the amount of ruins/caves in a world... a whopping 10!! Previously you couldn't build in the caves, ruins, nor the volcano, because world hopping in any world, even Hamlet, would instantly cause all of your sublevels to be cleared out. Now you can build any cave-based farms you want for slurtles, big tentacles, cave worms and etc, along with whatever cool decor you can think of with the huge set piece that is the volcano! I've always had plans in my head for a total overhaul of the volcano to resemble all the games' different biomes, but now that's finally possible without giving up ruins items forever, cause it won't regenerate when I world hop in RoG. This is a great change!!

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Oof. Fixing the caves and ruins being reset is a huge hit to some people. It was obviously an over sight to begin with but that sounds more controversial than even the pinecone fix. 

totally. If fixing good things that should have been mechanics like creating skeletons when dying or reseting layers without the need of destroying the rest of the world is what they aim for this patch i rather prefer if they forgot about DS with all the bugs...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Plus there is other ways to obtain thulecite and ruin gems outside of just raiding the ruins still. The slot machine will give you plenty of thulecite gear to deconstruct and such + you can world hop in hamlet for thule gear in those secret rooms if you really are desperate. You can renew the ruins gems too via x mark the spots and some other stuff like tumbleweeds (even though don't count on tumbleweeds for this)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sylvia wander o said:

There's definitely gonna be a bit of an outcry, but I guess I'll get my first opinion in there as a long time player (8 years, been playing since pre-SW) and say this is a HUGE boon for megabasing even if it doesnt appear that way. We just went from having 3 worlds to build in, to... counts the amount of ruins/caves in a world... a whopping 10!! Previously you couldn't build in the caves, ruins, nor the volcano, because world hopping in any world, even Hamlet, would instantly cause all of your sublevels to be cleared out. Now you can build any cave-based farms you want for slurtles, big tentacles, cave worms and etc, along with whatever cool decor you can think of with the huge set piece that is the volcano! I've always had plans in my head for a total overhaul of the volcano to resemble all the games' different biomes, but now that's finally possible without giving up ruins items forever, cause it won't regenerate when I world hop in RoG. This is a great change!!

or not because now if you want more volcano or ruins resources you need to destroy that entire world so you are limited to build in hamlet

2 minutes ago, Atsumame said:

Plus there is other ways to obtain thulecite and ruin gems outside of just raiding the ruins still. The slot machine will give you plenty of thulecite gear to deconstruct and such + you can world hop in hamlet for thule gear in those secret rooms if you really are desperate. You can renew the ruins gems too via x mark the spots and some other stuff like tumbleweeds (even though don't count on tumbleweeds for this)

all these methods are beyond boring and grindy...

• Like 1

Perhaps there can be a way to regenerate each sub world seperately. I can understand both sides and while I lean towards the bug finally being fixed, it would be great to have a way to regenerate the sub worlds separately, then both sides are happy. Though I do not have any ideas on how this should/could be reasonably implemented.

• Like 11

as much as i have internal resistance to the idea, being able to build in the volcano is so exciting. I really like that place, place and i'm so happy to finally be able to do stuff there, even if it means i don't have access to x or y resource mine.

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Though I do not have any ideas on how this should/could be reasonably implemented

It must be time for a cave teleportato !! :victorious:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

Perhaps there can be a way to regenerate each sub world seperately. I can understand both sides and while I lean towards the bug finally being fixed, it would be great to have a way to regenerate the sub worlds separately, then both sides are happy. Though I do not have any ideas on how this should/could be reasonably implemented.

For the ruins, a structure could be used that would take 1 of each gem that would then set the ruins to be set to restart a few minutes afterwords
For the volcano, you snackerfice several dragoon hearts/high quality food items and then the volcano eruputs more then usual, reseting them after a 10 day cooling period

For the pig ruins, idk
Tbh, I'm happy for having the bug removed. I really like basing in the volcano because it allows me to avoid most of the common issues of the seasons, but it always felt like there was a sword handing over my head for doing so because it meant that I could no longer reset any of the world or else all that progress there is also gone.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

totally. If fixing good things that should have been mechanics like creating skeletons when dying or reseting layers without the need of destroying the rest of the world is what they aim for this patch i rather prefer if they forgot about DS with all the bugs...

If you really want skeletons what's wrong with meat effigies or life flowers?

37 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

or not because now if you want more volcano or ruins resources you need to destroy that entire world so you are limited to build in hamlet

all these methods are beyond boring and grindy...

What I do to avoid running out of thulecite without world hopping is set the cave/ruin size to 450, so they’re the same size a a “huge” surface world. Caves use the “tiny” size by default, which is only 250. You can set “Tiny=450” in forest_map.lua. You can even set the max world size to be even bigger if you want, I usually play with 650.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiogoW said:

World jumping will no longer regenerate sub-worlds of other maps (SW, HAM).

I do really appreciate this bug fix, not only for the chance at building a super cool base in the caves or Volcano, but also now it feels as if the loot obtained from the ruins and volcano comes with a realistic sacrifice attributed to it. I feel like just getting "free" extra thulecite after you jumped worlds on a different DLC just feels a bit off in my opinion, now you will actually have to make the choice of which world to jump and the choices that come with it.

5 minutes ago, Pumking7 said:

I do really appreciate this bug fix, not only for the chance at building a super cool base in the caves or Volcano, but also now it feels as if the loot obtained from the ruins and volcano comes with a realistic sacrifice attributed to it. I feel like just getting "free" extra thulecite after you jumped worlds on a different DLC just feels a bit off in my opinion, now you will actually have to make the choice of which world to jump and the choices that come with it.

It only really concerns thulecite, since the obsidian boulders are programed to respawn afaik. Not many people know about this, probably because the volcano kept regenning and such

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Big Ups 1

25 minutes ago, Pumking7 said:

Well it wasn't free, you had to sacrifice the entire surface world of a DLC including bases you had there. Without any out any of the tweaks from DST that made ruins gear more renewable/sustainable, it does leave a giant hole in the way some people played.

I think DS had more ruins than DST to begin with due to having 3 separate ruins per slot, but you go through that all eventually when it comes to mega bases or long term survival.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Well it wasn't free, you had to sacrifice the entire surface world of a DLC including bases you had there. Without any out any of the tweaks from DST that made ruins gear more renewable/sustainable, it does leave a giant hole in the way some people played.

I think DS had more ruins than DST to begin with due to having 3 separate ruins per slot, but you go through that all eventually when it comes to mega bases or long term survival.

I do see now how it can be limiting to some players to not have the possibility to gather ruins gear again in their megabase world, and to reset their RoG world would be to reset their long term Megabase. I realized that even with all the loot such items that can last a little while, some others like houndius shootius coming from the ruins, and how annoying it would be if I couldn't get another houndius in worlds.

Hopefully they can circumvent this by adding new ways of obtaining this loot, such as oddities emporium, or even reworking world jumping since it is a very old system.

Edited by Pumking7
  • Like 1