New Server Lobby and Networking Beta! - 536845

• Developer

Happy New Year!

We hope you all a good holiday season. I certainly ate a little too much :)

Today we've got a new beta for you to check out. Most of the changes involved are the technical things in the backend and with the game's networking, and we'd love some assistance testing them and letting us know what you think!

You can learn how to opt into the beta branch here.

Changes

• Migrated to our new lobby services. This should not affect player experience. New lobby listings can now be seen at (https://lobby-v2-cdn.klei.com/{aws_region}-{platform}.json.gz)
  • Server listings are now downloaded in parallel to speed up the server browser.
  • Improved synchronization between client and server when using client prediction.
  • Changes were made to Steam Workshop handling for mods.
    • Please report anything going wrong with mods downloading, updating, or deleting with the associated log files.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed Frogs not going to sleep at night if they have no home to return to.
  • Fixed Hot Rod's Driving Gloves having missing colouration.
  • Fixed Willow’s Magmatic having stray art around the hair.
  • Fixed a typo in the overheating overlay making it appear less often than intended during Summer.

Notes to Modders

• Particle Emitters have been changed to crash less when having unexpected input but will log errors repeatedly instead. Please keep this in mind when testing emitters and fix up any logs you see to make particles visually work on clients.
  • R26_LOBBY_NETWORKQOL added in case there are breaking changes or added features.

View full update

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

Ooooo, always excited for back-end updates!

Also: https://lobby-v2-cdn.klei.com

Gives (so do the specific lobbies - but I'm guess what they are labeled from the old url).

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>3YW91AVVP6JB04TJ</RequestId>
<HostId>
sOlGTZWnw6jafFYoU0YsVC2nrOfOgLX9KJ9vYZM1XMa9gel2zOLP7DcfWb63vQKTLaesDETNf58=
</HostId>
</Error>

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

12 minutes ago, X-lem said:

Gives (so do the specific lobbies - but I'm guess what they are labeled from the old url).

<Error>
<HostId>
</HostId>
</Error>

The specific lobbies seem to be working for me.

• Sanity 1

• Developer
28 minutes ago, X-lem said:

<Error>
<HostId>
</HostId>
</Error>

We don't need to have public listing access to that folder so it's been hidden now, but you can see the available regions here https://lobby-v2-cdn.klei.com/regioncapabilities-v2.json

And here are the currently supported platforms.

Steam
PSN
Rail
XBone
Switch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It appears the more erratic chopping and mining speed has gone back to regular speed when using hold-mouse-click on any resource, like using spacebar. Is this a side-effect with the new synchronization? 

Edited by PunkShark
  • Like 2

Out of curiosity, will these improve any connections between different continents? My fiancee is in AUS while i'm in the US, and it's nearly unplayable on each other's latencies. I'm on console so that probably doesn't help, but i figured i'd ask

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PunkShark said:

It appears the more erratic chopping and mining speed has gone back to regular speed when using hold-mouse-click on any resource, like using spacebar. Is this a side-effect with the new synchronization? 

They've done it intentionally.

1 hour ago, PunkShark said:

There's "two" hold-mouse-click implementations, (You could hold chop/mine actions even before the update where you could hold-repeat actions for everything), unintentionally the newer system overwrote the first one, and they've now made chop/mine/attack/hammer actions ignore the 2nd system in favor of the old one before that update. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hornete said:

There's "two" hold-mouse-click implementations, (You could hold chop/mine actions even before the update where you could hold-repeat actions for everything), unintentionally the newer system overwrote the first one, and they've now made chop/mine/attack/hammer actions ignore the 2nd system in favor of the old one before that update. Hope that makes sense.

That is... a bit saddening i will say. Cause that means the ol' "efficient" way is back to finger workouts: the spam clicking (or using mods). I suppose a soul for a soul for better synchronization which is much smoother 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Finally hope this update fixes the old "???" ping prediction failure that "killed" a lot of personal and dedicated servers, relegating them to the bottom of listings even though their actual connectivity with players was good. Ty!

ikr ? Even opening UDP 11000 and 11001 make the ping go "???" half of the time, I am so tired of this bug

• Like 3

• Developer
2 hours ago, Juanasdf said:

I'm not home yet to try this beta yet but... what do these mean? Explain like I'm 5.

And, are all current regions (South america, us-west, etc) going to be added later in the beta?

We don't have any short term plans to add the lobby to other regions, but the new lobby services is using a bunch of new server configuration work we've been doing, so adding new regions in the future won't be too difficult.

• Like 1

• Developer
1 minute ago, Juanasdf said:

And that means no more Klei pubs on those regions unless there are plans to put em back up?

The public game servers are hosted through a different setup than our backend services so these new regions/setup shouldn't affect anything with the game servers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • GL Happy 1

20 hours ago, Hornete said:

unintentionally the newer system overwrote the first one

I haven't had time to check it out for myself but I assume not being able to speed preform actions is going to be fixed by this wording, or am I misreading this?

12 hours ago, PeterA said:

我们没有任何将大厅添加到其他地区的短期计划,但新的大厅服务正在使用我们一直在做的一系列新的服务器配置工作,因此将来添加新区域不会太困难。

Can you tell us if the update contains some basic information that can support cross platform games? In the past, it was said that there was a huge amount of work and there was not enough conditions. It might not be able to achieve it, so it didn't matter if she hadn't prepared to make this function.
All in all, as long as the server can browse faster, it will be great. In the past, sometimes it will load for a long time, or it will always be a blank page. You have to exit and open it from the new page.

Ok I tested it. Browsing game now MUCH better, it works instantly, all filters show what is needed right after clicking.

Lag prediction... In solo caveless world it works. Works great, it really feels like alone game. But if ping is hight (100 and more) it didn't work. You literally can't hit butterfly. Kiting is impossible.

Also I should mention that my pc is really garbage and I have average internet connection

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1