[Game Update] - Hot Shots 535720 & 535842

7 hours ago, pether said:

Some of the most popular mods are those who add nothing but skins, or useless buildings that do nothing but looking nice: "More Marble Sculptures", "Decor Pack I", "True Tiles", "Dupes Engineering", "Signs, Tags and Ribbons".

I'm talking about paid skins. If they're free, I'm totally ok with this.

skins actually being a part of the game is a huge qol improvement for updates - Not having your skins break on game update.

Also they are pretty much free since you mainly obtain them via free drops or these klei coins, the latter can often be acquired via free codes that get shared by the devs

I started a new Save to play with the Hermit and to my Surprise there was Neutronium and ice spawning on Top of the No Build Zone of the Oil Asteroid. I hope i do not have to remove this with sandbox tools because i am also doing an Achievement Run. I found a recent reddit post with the same Issue for some reason i can not take Screenshots anymore  :

Edited by Nuclearpower

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do I have to start a new save to have the mysterious hermit story trait or can I add him to my current save (if I can, how) and perhaps find him in one of the unexplored regions/asteroids in my current save?

52 minutes ago, CaraZank said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but do I have to start a new save to have the mysterious hermit story trait or can I add him to my current save (if I can, how) and perhaps find him in one of the unexplored regions/asteroids in my current save?

You have to start a new game for the new story trait.  Everything else should be usable in a current save.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, goboking said:

You have to start a new game for the new story trait.  Everything else should be usable in a current save.

If that's the case, then perhaps If I may ask for a future feature from the Devs (since I believe there will be more story traits added to the game, there are probably more players like me who like to stick to their solo colony and develop it further instead of starting over frequently), could these be implemented into the game in such a way that they could either be added to your starting asteroid somehow (Maybe like a small unexplored expansion to your starting asteroid by adding just enough extra tiles to include the new feature) or perhaps by adding these new story traits to the yet unexplored asteroids, which would add even more incentive to the asteroid hopping aspect of the game?

It's a little bit of a killjoy if I feel like whenever there's going to be new content added to the game, that'll also mean I'll have to abandon my colony and start from scratch (Besides, my suggestion would have zero impact on people who like to start new colonies frequently, as they can still do so at their convenience).

Thanks in any case! ^^

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaraZank said:

can I add him to my current save (if I can, how)

Yes you can, however that involves using debug mode (disables steam achievments):

be in debug mode, hit backspace to open the debug menu, under "paste template" select the template  /Base Game/storytraits/lonelyminion and place it into the world.

This will create the shipping container poi of the story trait at your chosen location

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SGT_Imalas said:

Yes you can, however that involves using debug mode (disables steam achievments):

be in debug mode, hit backspace to open the debug menu, under "paste template" select the template  /Base Game/storytraits/lonelyminion and place it into the world.

This will create the shipping container poi of the story trait at your chosen location

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. My 4566 cycle game! To restart again!

Okay. Enough crying. Farewell old base. Time to restart from scratch and use all the new stuff. Fortunately new CPU will help speed things up.

Edited by nyonyonyo

6 hours ago, CaraZank said:

could these be implemented into the game in such a way that they could either be added to your starting asteroid somehow (Maybe like a small unexplored expansion to your starting asteroid by adding just enough extra tiles to include the new feature) or perhaps by adding these new story traits to the yet unexplored asteroids, which would add even more incentive to the asteroid hopping aspect of the game?

The thing is, story traits until now are more useful early game. Adding one on a 1000 cycles base doesn't really add much more (apart from "seeing" what's it about).
For example:

Spoiler

Activating the Flux-o-matic "early" (around cycle 200) to turn all dreckos to glossy dreckos without needing to groom them first (actually I'm not sure if the glossy morph needs to be discovered first in order for the building to work. I had a lucky wild glossy in one chlorine pocket  of the map before using the Flux-o-matic)

Jorge is a good dupe (+4 to everything and +7 to some skills) that will help the colony "early", the earliest you can cook on a gas range for him "early"

Somnium synthesizer could be a somewhat later in the game building (I haven't used it yet) because you need enough dupes sleeping in order to activate it.

At least that's my view of the story traits so far.

But I don't know the future. Maybe there will be a story trait that actually needs a 1000 cycles base to be activated so it would make sense to discover it in an existing base.
I can't wait to see what else is in the works for future updates :D

Flux-o-matic - has the function of transforming critters into the "closest" morph; I found it weak, it has a recharge time, and before using it you need to give it 5 types of critters for it to analyze, can it be used in a good way? yes, but nothing amazing, it's basically a free morph, it would be interesting IF it had a unique morph

Somnium synthesizer - this one is truly the "op after suffering a lot wearing the sleepwear and delivering the required amount of analysis it requires (which will definitely take at least a few cycles depending on your base)" to then give an incredible bonus to dupes and stress reduction, but remember to feed it with oxygen

Hermit - very laborious to release, you need good food, 1 of 5 from a list he has, plus other minor things, to release a dupe that is very powerful depending on your base level and a giant storage, but that's about it , I expected more from his house, it's just a giant storage bin, it takes up basically the same space as would hold the same amount of storage bin, you can't move it, you can't build new ones, it's literally just a box of large, static storage bin wherever the game wants to spawn

in general they are good things and that will give more life to the game, and apparently they plan to bring more and that I imagine there will be so many that they will have to be random in the generation of the world

thanks klei

• Big Ups 1

Sometimes attacking Creatures gets stuck even on Yellow Alert...kinda sucks doing Carnivore....until i open the assignments Tab of the Creature then it gets unstuck. Never had this before.

Edit : They seem to get stuck with grooming from time to time too... i do not use critter related Mods.

I tried to make a Log but this functionality is also broken atm... really weird. But Not a Problem :) just an inconvinience i am almost done with Carnivore.

Edited by Nuclearpower
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 6:04 AM, Duck986 said:

>Skins

>In a singleplayer game

I suppose DST showed itself as a good source of income, eh? I mean, in multiplayer you can at least show off with your skins in front of others...

P.S.: Yes, I saw that "primary method of getting skins will be timed drops", but I also remember devs mentioning "we decided to make skins so we can make ONI updates free for everyone", so hmmm, pretty sus.

idk you but i like skins for my own pleasure not to flex in front of others...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lavaimp said:

Question!! For the timed drops, is it linked to your account itself? if so how does it record it? is it based on time passed irl, or is it on a set schedule?

I believe it would be similar to DST drops. It will directly link to your steam account. (not sure about other platform)

Some general feedback:

Very enjoying the direction these updates / this expansion is going, in particular that each update seems to add optional depth to an existing gameplay element.

Whilst I get that the monetisation strategy around a free-to-own series of DLCs is going to be outside of an upfront cost, the cosmetic microtransactions being brought into the game make me a little twitchy (twitch drops pun not intended) about things going down monetisation pathways and reprioritisation that have turned me off from games in the past.
I think that the cosmetic appearances for buildings and dupes is a harmless place to implement it that adds a good of personalisation, and that it might be worth considering allowing some of the basic appearances to be earnable in game.

Just feedback for your sentiment analysis etc :)

(1371.5 hours since Aug '19 for reference, since my level of engagement in the game isn't reflected by my post count)

12 hours ago, Ctri said:

Whilst I get that the monetisation strategy around a free-to-own series of DLCs is going to be outside of an upfront cost, the cosmetic microtransactions being brought into the game make me a little twitchy (twitch drops pun not intended) about things going down monetisation pathways and reprioritisation that have turned me off from games in the past.
I think that the cosmetic appearances for buildings and dupes is a harmless place to implement it that adds a good of personalisation, and that it might be worth considering allowing some of the basic appearances to be earnable in game.

Do keep in mind that klei has added a skin system just like this one before, in Don't Starve Together, and there, you could earn every single skin. decently easily, too.

• Like 3

Do keep in mind that klei has added a skin system just like this one before, in Don't Starve Together, and there, you could earn every single skin. decently easily, too.

That's encouraging/reassuring to know, thanks :)

On 12/19/2022 at 2:56 PM, Primalflower said:

I like the skins system in DST, but I do need to add the caveat that not ALL the skins are available via free drops.  There are special classes of skins that are only available through other actions.  For example, the loyalty skins from playing beta or the skin codes that come when you purchase certain merchandise like the crabbit plush from the klei store.

All the regular skins can be gotten by playing the game normally though.

Edit: I actually have a skin in DST that I got for owning Oxygen not Included.

Edited by fluxpinner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1