Alright let’s get this out the way first- I know that adding a tutorial to DST is a heated Topic but I’m starting to feel like the game REALLY and I mean REALLY needs one..

The Tutorial would cover how to use your characters abilities/craftables so you don’t have to look things up on a Wikipedia page to find out Wtf they do.

It would be no different from the tutorial of Apex Legends, or the Shooting Range where you can practice a character & their Abilities, Multiversus has the lab that lets you view every characters move set, Gotham Knights has the training room-

Then there’s DST which is a jumbled mess of figure it out for yourself or read a guide on the internet.

To clarify even though Wickerbottoms refresh was awhile back- I am JUST NOW creating and using all of her books, well I still need to make two or three more to complete the full collection.

But what the game does NOT tell me is what the difference between the books are, or what they do, or for that matter- What the heck a Fiery pen even is!

Then it occurred to me that this is the experience all my friends are getting when I buy this game for them, they don’t know how to assemble a Gym to stay mighty as Wolfgang, they don’t know which dumbells to craft for best uses.. they have no idea what any of Wendy’s Elixers do…

Maybe it’s time Klei changes that and gives at the very least a Character tutorial guide, because when people understand the in’s and outs of their characters abilities: They tend to have more fun playing the game.

This is a legitimate concern of mine, and I KNOW it’s going to be a highly heated topic, but it’s something I felt needed to be discussed, when I forget/need to know something about the game I look it up on the Wiki.. But why can’t this information be covered and easy to understand within the actual game?

13 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

you're supposed to figure it out and remember.
that's literally part of the fun.

I mean, are you really though? The rework announcement/patch notes always go into detail of what they do.

The game already has tons of helpful loading screen tips, and now food recipe guides.

Knowing how to actually PLAY as your character would be the next best logical step.

30 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean, are you really though? The rework announcement/patch notes always go into detail of what they do.

The game already has tons of helpful loading screen tips, and now food recipe guides.

They only hint what you could do or what is new, they don't make you play through an ingame explanation of what it is. Players can simply search what things ingame do but that's really on them and DST does mostly a good job at giving the players enough information of what things do.

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

mean, are you really though? The rework announcement/patch notes always go into detail of what they do.

No they don't. They vary between incomplete summaries to completely omitting information. 

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Knowing how to actually PLAY as your character would be the next best logical step.

Every confusion listed in your post is easily answered by simply making the item. 

24 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Ah yes, the "**** around and find out", the "you woke up in a strange land and don't know what's going on", the "die over and over again until you learn how not to" game needs a TUTORIAL.

When Wickerbottom has a literal book library and can’t tell the difference between what the point of Lux Aterna & Redux Lux Aterna is.. maybe perhaps it’s time the game actually has a Tutorial.

And I’m not just talking about my personal frustrations and needing to look up what they do Online.. I also realize this is the experience my noob friends are getting!

They have no idea what any of WX78’s Modules are, What Wendys potions do, certain parts of the game should NOT be figure it out for Yourself.

A Willow player should know things like their immune to fire damage so they should be assigned the role of running around putting out smoldering objects, or that Bernie is triggered by High/Low Sanity levels.

This would make playing with other players a far more enjoyable experience if people knew how to actually be “helpful” with their character perks.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

When Wickerbottom has a literal book library and can’t tell the difference between what the point of Lux Aterna & Redux Lux Aterna is.. maybe perhaps it’s time the game actually has a Tutorial.

And I’m not just talking about my personal frustrations and needing to look up what they do Online.. I also realize this is the experience my noob friends are getting!

They have no idea what any of WX78’s Modules are, What Wendys potions do, certain parts of the game should NOT be figure it out for Yourself.

A Willow player should know things like their immune to fire damage so they should be assigned the role of running around putting out smoldering objects, or that Bernie is triggered by High/Low Sanity levels.

This would make playing with other players a far more enjoyable experience if people knew how to actually be “helpful” with their character perks.

My guy, the fun is in finding out. If you can't be bothered to try things out yourself to check, or even read the descriptions in the crafting menu that's on you.

Maybe not tutorial, but a welcoming tip?Simple introduction like "you better find light and food before night", but more fancy than this.

Also there are loading screen tips. If we only could decide when they are read or when to skip to another one, then probably would be more functional than now (sometimes they are gone before I could read half of sentence).

10 minutes ago, Notecja said:

Maybe not tutorial, but a welcoming tip?Simple introduction like "you better find light and food before night", but more fancy than this.

Maybe having the Mocking Birds appear on the Florid Postern and be the replacement for Maxwell/Wolly the Parrot/Maxameleon whenever someone creates/joins a new world. Similar to this idea by @CodexCorporis

The tutorial I’m purposing isn’t to teach the players how to live in the world, it’s to give them a run down of what their playable character is capable of.

As someone who bought Wurt and then created her Royal Tapestry and elected a Merm King I was disappointed to find out that by having a King, your Entire normally highly aggressive army becomes passive.

These aren’t the kind of things you want to find out through experimentation & Gameplay.

Almost every other video game gives the player a brief rundown of how to use their characters abilities. (Klei has a compendium they just need to add the characters animated shorts and a Tutorial on how to play them you can start from here)

If I have the resources to craft 3 different Wickerbottom Books, but only have enough Papyrus to craft one of them: I feel like it’s kind of important to know which book to choose to craft.

But then again.. I also play in Solo worlds by myself and can Roll the server back as many times as I want to to craft the other books and find out what they do.

I have 4 hours played I think, got tired of having to have a video tutorial up on my phone while I side by side played the game with the video. I did get better with the video and had actual stuff but kept dying, then I got tired of having to pause the game while getting info on the video and Google, my game was mostly paused while I got info. I'd rather play a game for a while first before needing to look up information about mid to late game. 

23 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

I kinda want the game to atleast introduce kiting in some way.

I suppose new players could just observe other players or even just pigmen.

I literally learned kiting (enemies to other players/into traps) believe it or not from playing Wendy in Solo DS, you needed to lure enemy mobs TO Abigail before she would attack them. As far as dodge (kiting) I learned THAT from observing a Clockwork Knight trying to attack me, they do one slow headbutt attack then move away from you and attempt another.

3 hours ago, Jetlagpotion said:

I have 4 hours played I think, got tired of having to have a video tutorial up on my phone while I side by side played the game with the video. I did get better with the video and had actual stuff but kept dying, then I got tired of having to pause the game while getting info on the video and Google, my game was mostly paused while I got info. I'd rather play a game for a while first before needing to look up information about mid to late game. 

Having to pause my game more often then I want to is part of the reason I made this thread, I shouldn’t need to pause the game look at wickers 17 craftable books then watch some online video to figure out which of those books will be helpful for me.

Spoiler

Klei also has something very screwed up with the new CRAFT UI, I’ve actually managed to get LOST scrolling through this thing because I press the “Research at” button near a crafting station like Tackle Recipticale but- for some highly annoying reason it doesn’t even immediately pull up the things I can craft while using this crafting station…

So long story short, I then have to pause the game AGAIN and resort to figuring out where the heck the tab of stuff I’m supposed to be able to craft standing near this research station went.

Its completely unrelated to wanting a character abilities tutorial, But it’s an issue that’s hindering my enjoyment of the game, I use to know EXACTLY what I could craft while pressing the craft at button near a crafting structure- but NOW the game gets lost in its own craft menus somewhere completely unrelated to the STRUCTURE IM STANDING BESIDE WANTING TO CRAFT DIRECTLY FROM.

Spoiler is a bit off topic but I figured I’d bring awareness of this to Klei’s attention now, since there’s still a third QoL planned in this years content roadmap, and it’s annoying & interrupts my gameplay.

I feel like a character tutorial wouldn’t hurt the game, and would in fact help noob players better understand how to use their characters abilities to be useful.

Klei hosts their Rhymes with Play streams where they talk about & play the character in depth.. so really, what’s the harm in adding a tutorial for how to play them?

On 11/19/2022 at 7:00 AM, BezKa said:

My guy, the fun is in finding out. If you can't be bothered to try things out yourself to check, or even read the descriptions in the crafting menu that's on you.

I kind of agree with mike on this one very few if any players ever actually find out things in this game organically it's either learned from the internet or other people the game isn't very good at conveying what needs to be done to improve beyond the obvious and has a ton of beginner's traps that artificially inflate the learning process there's a difference between handholding giving the basics.

Part of the fun is to make mistakes and try again. Also over the year im have see player teaching to new player. For example remeber the reap what you saw beta, litteraly no one knew how to grow up a potato. It was really fun reaserch the new sistem and exchange info and tips whit other player back then, and even today is great to show a new player the ropes of how to make a efficient potato-carrot-corn farm. 

12 minutes ago, jtubio88 said:

Part of the fun is to make mistakes and try again. Also over the year im have see player teaching to new player. For example remeber the reap what you saw beta, litteraly no one knew how to grow up a potato. It was really fun reaserch the new sistem and exchange info and tips whit other player back then, and even today is great to show a new player the ropes of how to make a efficient potato-carrot-corn farm. 

This is kind of the point though most people don't learn things on their own they look to someone who knows it already or datamined the info or even turn to mods that show them the idea isn't really to walk them through every mechanic either.

When I began I didn't figure things out on my own I would read the update notes coming out at the time cause back then you'd see posters like this.

Spoiler

1967465403_A_Winters_Tale.thumb.jpg.5918d5b5d0f1e2490591da325a2bb4d5.jpg

Update videos or posters always had clues/tips for those who would go and look for them but it was all external from the game.

I don't understand why people still think that struggling to even understand the game is still part of the experience when tooltips are now part of the loading screen.

It was fine when don't starve was a smaller game with growing community where everyone was still pretty clueless but now we're pretty far into this so it's better to give an easier time for newcomers to get acclimated.

6 hours ago, Jetlagpotion said:

if with 4h you are already watching tutorials and actually are tired watching them i have the feeling that you dont like the surival genre

this game is like a puzzle that you have to learn by your own

atleast is what gives the most fun, just beating it like a generic rpg or adventure game makes it boring and easy

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei also has something very screwed up with the new CRAFT UI, I’ve actually managed to get LOST scrolling through this thing because I press the “Research at” button near a crafting station like Tackle Recipticale but- for some highly annoying reason it doesn’t even immediately pull up the things I can craft while using this crafting station…

So long story short, I then have to pause the game AGAIN and resort to figuring out where the heck the tab of stuff I’m supposed to be able to craft standing near this research station went.

Its completely unrelated to wanting a character abilities tutorial, But it’s an issue that’s hindering my enjoyment of the game, I use to know EXACTLY what I could craft while pressing the craft at button near a crafting structure- but NOW the game gets lost in its own craft menus somewhere completely unrelated to the STRUCTURE IM STANDING BESIDE WANTING TO CRAFT DIRECTLY FROM.

preciselly the menu is way clear than it was with the previous menu... way less scrolling, less time wasted, better organization (no more food related items hidden in the structure tab and making really clear what items are for winter/summer/spring instead of searching throw survival and clothing tabs), more recipes at simple sight, quick tab so newbies waste less time searching for common crafts, etc

you just need to get use to it so imagine a noob needing to get use to the old menu, what a nightmere with the ammount of recipes we have now

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

preciselly the menu is way clear than it was with the previous menu... way less scrolling, less time wasted, better organization (no more food related items hidden in the structure tab and making really clear what items are for winter/summer/spring instead of searching throw survival and clothing tabs), more recipes at simple sight, quick tab so newbies waste less time searching for common crafts, etc

you just need to get use to it so imagine a noob needing to get use to the old menu, what a nightmere with the ammount of recipes we have now

No.. the Menu is actually WORSE now and I absolutely hate it.. but instead of me just saying that- Allow me to Show you my problem.
4CD4EA17-11A9-4347-B415-8B2036B4933E.gif.407ab69f3f7322a87855ba93c69a2fe3.gif

No.. the Menu is actually WORSE now and I absolutely hate it.. but instead of me just saying that- Allow me to Show you my problem.
4CD4EA17-11A9-4347-B415-8B2036B4933E.gif.407ab69f3f7322a87855ba93c69a2fe3.gif

Is it the fact that most research tables now have that prompt to open the tab now?

I got a love hate relationship with it it's annoying when navigating a cluttered base but has its uses with the niche research tabs like celestial altar and ruins station.

I just want more controller tweaks

2 hours ago, Just-guy said:

I don't get the problem.

The problem is that pressing A to research at these crafting stations should have taken me to what was craftable from each of those stations. However: as you can see in the gif, it keeps opening in an area that has nothing to do with the things I’m trying to craft from those stations.

Anyway back to the main topic, I think characters should have a tutorial on how to use their abilities, it would be a massive help in coop game sessions for example for the noob wicker to know reading the everything encyclopedia near other players unlocks crafts they normally would need to research first.

The problem is that pressing A to research at these crafting stations should have taken me to what was craftable from each of those stations. However: as you can see in the gif, it keeps opening in an area that has nothing to do with the things I’m trying to craft from those stations.

post it in the bug tracker

Archived