Hostile flare changes

Gamers: Should the hostile flare be buffed to be able to spawn in other enemies/bosses like spawning bearger in autumn? 

Currently the issue with the hostile flare is that it has 3 total purposes: Spawning deerclops, Teleporting mactusk, and forcing a monkey raid. Two thirds of those are useless outside of winter, so I think Hostile flare needs some uses outside of just that season. 

I also think the hostile flare should be able to force other events, like maybe spawning in a hunt monster (Koalaphant, Varg, Ewecus, maybe a volt goat in the oasis during spring) but starting out with forcing bearger to spawn in autumn alone would make the item a lot more interesting. 

I think this is the opposite of what should happen. Instead of extending its game breaking overpoweredness to every season, the op part should just be removed. I think it was added as a bandaid fix for monkey raids but for some reason they didn't want it to only do one thing so they slapped some unnecessary stuff on.

Yeah that stuff for the Ewecus would be great, too many times Klaus satisfy the demand with Steel Wool before I ever encounter one, if we want to make that simple to filter which encounter we get (in case more stuff is considered like Bearger summon but I’ve got no strong opinion for that), then that could happen while a suspicious dirt is currently tracked only.

I think hostile flare should attract hostile creatures (deerclops, monkey raids and macktusk perfectly suits the hostile thing), but bearger is not that hostile against the player at first, since sometimes it doesnt attack, but if you have honey in the inv, it will try to kill you on sight, however, it would be perfectly understandable that bearger smelled the gloomer goop when the hostile flare exploded and came to see what's up with the smell of 'food'.

anyway, I think it is a good idea, but i think hostile flare should penalize more the player, how can the hostile flare penalize more the player? i dont know, maybe spawing something along with bearger? (and make bearger aggro on you when its spawns?)

Just now, loopuleasa said:

Hostile flares are one of the most poorly designed items in the game.

Would've been fine if it just lured mctusks or some other niche and small uses.

But... spawning a new deerclops?? what.

we have 2 flares, one of them attracts enemies and the other no cuz potato

The weird about hostile flares is that the deerclops that spawns affects the spawn timer.

Basically means you can control whenever clops show up, and, well, just leave it/kill it, and you have a winter free of clops.

I like clops actively going for you and your structures, but now when you can control when and where to spawn it, it removes what makes clops scary.

hostile flare is definitely a band aid for pirate raid problem, and deerclops/mctusk summoning is just some toppings. Like the OP post, make it summon more hostile creatures and I am content with it.

I guess.

It is more than fair to have Deerclops to spawn from the flares, playing with friends had that big annoying period of times where you needed to spend the first years equipping everyone with Eyebrellas before getting to make use of them in turrets and that wasn't thrilling in any way, it's always crossing fingers of getting more of them in Klaus Stash, there aren't that many other items in these loot that was as important due to the crazy time limit and utility behind the eyeballs. So having the Deerclops to spawn on command, meaning you've gotta have it killed anyway so it's your decision is enough justification to let it happen the same way you can do multiple Celestial Champions to offer crowns to everyone and let you have maybe a few lamps filled. Honestly I'm the first to advocate the game being harder but DST need to be uncompromising in other ways than blocking something like this boss loot for a multiplayer game for the sake of it, in singleplayer I wouldn't be that much affected by it so I'll be using them only when I feel the need.

I wish it didn't spawn the deerclops but rather a raid boss. I imagine some kind of eyeless monstrosity that attached deepclops eyeballs to its hands or other unorthodox places to be able to see. It would drop 2 eyeballs but it would be much harder than the Deerclops. 

I don't like that the flare turned one of few creatures that are able to ambush you into the farmable mob. 

6 hours ago, ADM said:

It is more than fair to have Deerclops to spawn from the flares, playing with friends had that big annoying period of times where you needed to spend the first years equipping everyone with Eyebrellas before getting to make use of them in turrets and that wasn't thrilling in any way

That's still such an artificial way to handle that.

You might as well c_spawn eyebrellas for everyone if that is an issue.

Back in my days we crafted normal umbrellas for my team, and they were supposed to like them.

9 hours ago, ADM said:

It is more than fair to have Deerclops to spawn from the flares, playing with friends had that big annoying period of times where you needed to spend the first years equipping everyone with Eyebrellas before getting to make use of them in turrets and that wasn't thrilling in any way, it's always crossing fingers of getting more of them in Klaus Stash, there aren't that many other items in these loot that was as important due to the crazy time limit and utility behind the eyeballs. So having the Deerclops to spawn on command, meaning you've gotta have it killed anyway so it's your decision is enough justification to let it happen the same way you can do multiple Celestial Champions to offer crowns to everyone and let you have maybe a few lamps filled. Honestly I'm the first to advocate the game being harder but DST need to be uncompromising in other ways than blocking something like this boss loot for a multiplayer game for the sake of it, in singleplayer I wouldn't be that much affected by it so I'll be using them only when I feel the need.

If you think everyone having easy access to rare and powerful items is "more than fair" then why don't you just use console to spawn everyone a dc eye when you kill him, spawn everyone a stack of jellybeans and bundling wrap bps when you kill her, and spawn everyone a krampus sack when you kill him? Why even have so much gear for rain and heat when the eyebrella makes most of them irrelevant and is now just as easy to get?

3 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

That's still such an artificial way to handle that.

You might as well c_spawn eyebrellas for everyone if that is an issue.

Back in my days we crafted normal umbrellas for my team, and they were supposed to like them.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

If you think everyone having easy access to rare and powerful items is "more than fair" then why don't you just use console to spawn everyone a dc eye when you kill him, spawn everyone a stack of jellybeans and bundling wrap bps when you kill her, and spawn everyone a krampus sack when you kill him? Why even have so much gear for rain and heat when the eyebrella makes most of them irrelevant and is now just as easy to get?

... I don't get the reaction, I play by the rules of the game the way there's distributed and understood by common senses, and been doing that since the game was just a world generated with biome balls, had no spoilage and food wouldn't stack as far as I remember it, so with all the distance I have with the game I can build my reasoning of how much I will be alright or not with an existing feature and an update change. That's why I'm not gonna use the console or make mods for every things that would sound funnier to me in one way. And well, if the rules now allow something that I think suits me and all of my friends better, then well I'm just happy with it even if we dealt with that for X years, if not, well I'll be suggesting and discussing stuff instead of pushing assumptions on people, I feel a little sorry for you guys if such a preference makes you bounce out of your chair.

1 hour ago, ADM said:

... I don't get the reaction, I play by the rules of the game the way there's distributed and understood by common senses, and been doing that since the game was just a world generated with biome balls, had no spoilage and food wouldn't stack as far as I remember it, so with all the distance I have with the game I can build my reasoning of how much I will be alright or not with an existing feature and an update change. That's why I'm not gonna use the console or make mods for every things that would sound funnier to me in one way. And well, if the rules now allow something that I think suits me and all of my friends better, then well I'm just happy with it even if we dealt with that for X years, if not, well I'll be suggesting and discussing stuff instead of pushing assumptions on people, I feel a little sorry for you guys if such a preference makes you bounce out of your chair.

Well, we are discussing it since it appeared. We don't like it. Because it does disregard all the rules that were laid down before, and it's not like there weren't bad things in the game that got removed. Rules can change, sure, and you might feel fine with that, but there's clearly a lot of people who do not.

Using a flare to spawn a boss and using console to spawn it's drop are comparable because they are born of the same need- to get a time, season locked item in quantity that is unnatural for the established rules. As I said in threads before, i don't even like the McTusk coming over. We ask why don't you just use commands if you think it's fine to just get a bunch of eyeballs because we want people to see the problem- you're not supposed to have that many, the way you're getting them is irrelevant. Klaus dropping one is fair since it's not guaranteed and it's a much more difficult boss than Clops.

And people asking for even more bosses/mobs with unique spawning mechanics to get boiled down to "flare go boom" sounds like nobody here actually wants to play the game, just get drops, get bored, restart world, repeat.

Thankfully, it appears no more mobs or bosses will be added to the flare so I can rest easy.

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

Using a flare to spawn a boss and using console to spawn it's drop are comparable because they are born of the same need- to get a time, season locked item in quantity that is unnatural for the established rules. As I said in threads before, i don't even like the McTusk coming over. We ask why don't you just use commands if you think it's fine to just get a bunch of eyeballs because we want people to see the problem- you're not supposed to have that many, the way you're getting them is irrelevant. Klaus dropping one is fair since it's not guaranteed and it's a much more difficult boss than Clops.

You do realize it has only a 60% chance of happening?

Comparing this to console commands is absolutely stupid because it can only be used in winter (for the useful stuff) and has a 60% chance of spawning something which might be what you want.

Also it's use case is nothing to complain about. Deerclops is not some big bad sacred boss he's a punching bag. and solo players never need to kill them more than once a year in the first place if they use their eyebrella correctly, there should be no complaints about a team server not wanting to wait 3 in game years just to try to get everyone an eyebrella. It also helps make houndius shootius more obtainable since now you don't have to make a choice between a single houndius and an eyebrella.

43 minutes ago, Dextops said:

Deerclops is not some big bad sacred boss he's a punching bag

For you and other people who played DST for a thousand hours. For new players, he's the first formidable force they have to deal with. The main difficulty of Deerclops isn't even his attack. It's that he can catch you off guard, but the flare completely removes it. 

11 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

For you and other people who played DST for a thousand hours. For new players, he's the first formidable force they have to deal with. The main difficulty of Deerclops isn't even his attack. It's that he can catch you off guard, but the flare completely removes it. 

except nobody gets caught by deerclops by surprise

hostile flare is a cool item used by experienced players to skip the most boring task in the game that is waiting, boy sure do i love waiting a year to get another eye, truly the peak of game inmersion

1 minute ago, maxwell_winters said:

It doesn’t. It doesn’t at all

1. A new player as you describe would not use a hostile flare

2. deerclops’ “surprise” works only the first time, every time after a noob would know “grow plus character saying text equals deerclops is about to come”

2 minutes ago, maxwell_winters said:

Knowing that it's more beneficial to have this effect then. If new players knew that the Hostile Flair (spoiler alert, they likely don't and that's one thing loading tips would be welcome to let know) could be a trick around Deerclops to lure them away and being able to try out later, I'd personally consider it would be an innovative play more than the mandatory waiting it out as you could dodge the fight pretty much the same, or well, die, if you aren't aware of anything, just with this being here it offers alternatives to whoever is aware of it. :)

5 minutes ago, Dextops said:

2. deerclops’ “surprise” works only the first time, every time after a noob would know “grow plus character saying text equals deerclops is about to come”

Getting growls warning that give you a few minutes to prepare ≠ taking as long as you want to prepare, choosing a good place to fight and launching a flare. 

Archived