Maxwell Rework Speculation

Now that it's almost confirmed that Sir Carter will be our next rework, I'd really love to hear what you guys want/think he'll get. 

Personally I'd really love him to feel more like a nobleman, more reliant on puppets, stronger in combat, with more shadow magic. 

But again, that's just me, I want to hear your opinions.

I want him to have more control over his puppets. 

i think it would be reasonable for a puppet master to have the most control over his minions. 

also more types of puppets in general and some kind of buff to duelists(hope they won't be left completely untouched). 

some different kind of shadow magic could also be nice, just as long as it doesn't become the main focus of his character. (i mean, i understand that Maxwell canonicly sucks at using the codex, but come on, no way he only knows how to make puppets)

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

I want his animated short to be just 10 hours of ragtime while he sits on the throne.

I'm actually disappointed to see that the only 10 hours of ragtime videos have just a static image of Wilson.

Jokes aside, I want his animated short to be at least 5 minutes, or even 10. As for the rework, I'm actually fine with anything as long as Maxwell becomes one of the stronger survivors or he gets to interact a lot more with magic stuff/nightmare fuel. He deserves that as the previous king.

Edit: If you are reading this Klei, and if you are planning on making a short that shows the events that happened to Maxwell and Charlie when they got abducted, PLEASE use the choir parts of the Ancient Guardian/Shadow Pieces theme to represent the Shadows. I can already see the Shadows surrounding the couple like hooligans as the choir chants.

Shadow magic galore.

He is the warlock of dst after all. Id also like see some shadow magic synergy like Wanda got but not in the same way (like additional effects instead of just number changes).

I played around with an idea where Maxwell feeds his codex umbra shadow fuel to make it stronger. In return for more powerful perks he also becomes more frail.

Like after x amount of fuel fed the book follows Maxwell with shadow legs and the puppets are tethered to the book instead of him. He could dismiss the book and the puppets would keep working around the book. 

In exchange, if the book takes damage Maxwell takes that damage instead as piercing damage. Just an example, haven't really thought too much about it.

I really hope he'll get powerful shadow magic powers. And I hope it won't be fully focused on the puppets. We have enough follower characters. Maxwell can't do so much more with Codex Umbra. I'll be very disappointed if the whole rework is just "Increased the health of Shadow Duelists. Improved the AI of Shadow Workers."

I'd like to get higher sanity regen back, so he'll be able to use magic with lesser punishment as he used to. Besides, he's a gatherer and characters with only gathering perks suck. 

Unpopular opinion but I already know tons of the story of how Maxwell kidnaps people and strikes a deal to get them into the constant, I also already know the story of his stage magician act and shadows pulling him and Charlie into his magic hat, I ALSO know how he was crushed under a train and seemingly had to make this same “Deal with the Devil” to grant Wolfgang super strength to save him. And how poor Wilson travels through 5 Randomly generated worlds of Torture to eventually forgive and trade places with a throne trapped Maxwell.

But what I DON’T know is where was Charlie during this time? Why if she could freely walk about like she just Waltz right up to Wilson and free’s him in DSTs starting animation why didn’t SHE free Maxwell? And what makes her so special anyway??? Both Maxwell AND Wilson were trapped on this Throne Chair forced to listen to Ragtime music, meanwhile Charlie can roam all over the constant leaving the Chair doing Whatever.

Lastly, even though Maxwell was bound to this Chair, He still appears as a Demonic Shadow or well err this-

2F3D9DAB-B209-4B81-92D8-406278221BAB.thumb.jpeg.dbfa38a6c69a45b97f330ecab24e153e.jpeg

Theres also the product description for the original DS:

DCAF7C72-27D3-4C1B-AC34-381E8E5E7A0B.thumb.png.2d331478f0a302ec61464e189dbf9f1e.png

Trapped by a “Demon”??

But then Wickerbottom has THIS LINE in DST-

118E5221-A091-4375-BE8E-51205CD03116.thumb.png.42de2472e469207f09387370ba459506.png

So Klei.. uhh what exactly happened?

We have no IN BETWEEN STORY for the events of the Original game to how he ends up portrayed in DST and that is exactly what I want Maxwell lore to reveal.

Other things worthy of mentioning: How he comes across the Codex Umbra, How he goes from being a Demon, to a “quite sweet boy”..

I do have ONE Theory that can clear all of this up but if my theory is correct- it could be considered a massive spoiler.

Spoiler

Maxwell, Wilson & Charlie have now officially sat on the Nightmare Throne, and Maxwell and Charlie BOTH have been represented as “Wigging Out” between Human & Demonic forms..

118527EB-26C1-4662-8A42-16ACF0362C9F.jpeg.76dc8af4e437a6356a90d798ad4fe62e.jpeg

So it’s possible anyone who sits in this chair is possessed by a demon who takes control over their body and can cast illusions/alter their appearance which also would end up explaining..

722943D1-A2D7-4058-BE06-780E08A26382.png.65cb93745ccdaebe7d29c92595c97ccf.png

That’s right.. SHADOW WILSON IS REAL!

Unfortunately I highly doubt Maxwells 2-3 minute animated short is going to cover all the heavy lore mysteries I would love answers for.

it would likely require a 2-3 hour movie to tie together all the questions we have.

I want him to be hard to survive as and hard to use, but extremely powerful. The type of character that a new player would brush off as worthless but is actually one of the best. That's what I imagine when I think of Maxwell. I don't think it's going to happen, though. Klei really listens to community feedback and everyone always spams "spending 3 nightmare fuel to get several chests full of boards is a scam, please let me put the shadows away for free instead of punching them" every time someone brings up the rework (but for some reason nobody has any issue with Woodie's idols being consumed on use, even though they're miles worse than Maxwell's gatherers).

22 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I want him to be hard to survive as and hard to use, but extremely powerful. The type of character that a new player would brush off as worthless but is actually one of the best. That's what I imagine when I think of Maxwell. I don't think it's going to happen, though. Klei really listens to community feedback and everyone always spams "spending 3 nightmare fuel to get several chests full of boards is a scam, please let me put the shadows away for free instead of punching them" every time someone brings up the rework (but for some reason nobody has any issue with Woodie's idols being consumed on use, even though they're miles worse than Maxwell's gatherers).

I think Maxwell as a gatherer was a mistake to begin with

I would love if his short was the story of his reign, and that he'd narrate it like he did for Webber and Wortox's shorts.

ESPECIALLY if the final shot pans up from to book to his face and we finally see him speak in canon.

9 hours ago, peternrdstrm said:

I think Maxwell as a gatherer was a mistake to begin with

Maxwell being able to gather things is fine. It becomes a problem when that's the only thing he can do. His fighter minions is what SHOULD sell him. Thing is, they're useless. Their AI are dumb as rocks.

1 hour ago, Terra_Zina said:

His fighter minions is what SHOULD sell him.

As someone who enjoys Maxwell a lot, I would hate if Shadow Duelists were to be made the thing to "sell" him. I don't think either gathering or combat should be his "selling" things.

Think it'd be cool to see the Codex Umbra get some uses that don't correlate to minions, as cool as minions are I want Maxwell to expand away from them in his rework(I'd still like to see one or two more minions though, just not as the focus)

7 minutes ago, Hornete said:

As someone who enjoys Maxwell a lot, I would hate if Shadow Duelists were to be made the thing to "sell" him. I don't think either gathering or combat should be his "selling" things.

Think it'd be cool to see the Codex Umbra get some uses that don't correlate to minions, as cool as minions are I want Maxwell to expand away from them in his rework(I'd still like to see one or two more minions though, just not as the focus)

Maxwell is the former shadow king but all he can do now is to summon few gatherers and bodyguards with the AI of pigs? yeesh, give that man a rework. 

I am Maxwell main since he was ever introduced as playable character, and its not the actual perks that picked my intrested, its the Maxwells whole dark magic magician persona. He is so complex and portrayed as all powerful shadow king yet only on paper.

Even Wanda, the not shadow based character perform with shadow based items better than Maxwell!

I really hope Klei will give my boy some love. He have so much potentional in his rework... 

There's a lot of gatherers in the game already i.e the Canadian bro and the smelly fish but only 1 glass Cannon i.e the time B word. So my suggestion is to turn him into a glass Cannon with satisfying combat like Wanda. They got the formula right with Wanda, they might be able to replicate it to the williamest of all the carters

When I first started playing I saw Maxwell and he looked menacing as in like a Jojo reference menacing. So I think klei should make him a menace to society bro as the TikTok ppl would say

So my suggestion is to give him a "shadow form" like in the wickerbottom trailer where he can switch between his normal form and shadow form.

His gameplay changes dramatically from a support role (idk what specific support role) to a combat role with high risk, high return i.e 75 HP but has satisfying combat (like Wanda) 

His minions will also switch from support to combat mode when he switched. In his combat mode, his shadows will turn from maxwell looking shadows to actual nightmare creatures i.e terror beak, crawler, shadow hound?, Davy Jones, and all the shadows I forgot to mention. 

Maybe he can use nightmare fuel as the ultimate currency? Kinda like how Wortox uses souls? Idk

Idk what his support form should do tho but I don't want it to be a gatherer anymore lol.

3 hours ago, Terra_Zina said:

His fighter minions is what SHOULD sell him.

I'm sorry but this is incredibly boring. There are so much potential for the most powerful shadow magic user among the survivors. But you want another character whose main appeal is to summon things that fight for you. Why not just play Wendy?

28 minutes ago, Phen said:

So my suggestion is to turn him into a glass Cannon with satisfying combat like Wanda.

agree. Was the original concept in DS,having a better wilson but weaker

but i dont like the idea of having the shadow form, that was a power given by the throne (edit: and i just realized that the minions are already a representation of that) he doesn't have much power as seen in the comics (maybe wortox could help him a little with the codex even if that interaction doesnt fit both characters).

3 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

agree. Was the original concept in DS,having a better wilson but weaker

but i dont like the idea of having the shadow form, that was a power given by the throne (edit: and i just realized that the minions are already a representation of that) he doesn't have much power as seen in the comics (maybe wortox could help him a little with the codex even if that interaction doesnt fit both characters).

You're right. Wortox knows how to "use" the codex umbra. 

I think something like that happened in the Wolfgang rework? Can't remember clearly but I think waxwell taught wolfgang new tricks hence Wolfgang rework. So Wortox teaches waxwell new trick = waxwell rework¿?????¿ Question mark

But again Wortox doesn't share his secrets (I think) e.g he knows something about what's coming in the future and doesn't want to "spoil the surprise". It's a quote from idk where tho 

If there's a character that specializes in magic it ought to be the literal magician who exploited it with his infinite ego, I never got the whole shadow puppet idea other than it being in character to make others do work for him, there's surely more than one spell in that book yes? It's such a pivotal object in the story that Maxwell apparently doesn't even have a true grasp on yet.

OG Maxwell was literally 75 hp with 20+ min sanity and the starting gear, codex didn't even exist. He wasn't the best to begin with, but he could whip out a shadow manipulator within the first couple days due to starting with a purple gem. Starting with night armor and a dark sword makes getting to that point trivial and it didn't drain his sanity. Furthermore, he could brush off the sanity drain from magic items and other insane sceneries which felt right. Also comically viable during spring since he could be literally soaked and not have sanity drained because the man was just that dapper. His book and shadows got tacked on later but their AI was pretty awful and they only harvest resources when you would, painfully slow.

DST gave him a role in multiplayer by making his shadows useful but it never fit IMO, and nerfing his dapperness to tam level made his niche with magic less effective. That just made him a huge liability with the low health when there are others characters for farming and followers. His magic kit from DS is gone completely besides the book and fuel.  Lean towards magic, please! Why is the former king of the world and amazing stage magician just known for gathering resources? 

3 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

I'm sorry but this is incredibly boring. There are so much potential for the most powerful shadow magic user among the survivors. But you want another character whose main appeal is to summon things that fight for you. Why not just play Wendy?

What if the summons themselves don't do damage but instead help him in other ways? Like when Davy Jones shits on ur boat and stuff or the nightmare hands putting out ur fire. Idk how that will work against mobs tho lol.

7 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Snip

You described all my issues with him. He used to be a strong sorcerer with additional gathering perks. But DST focused on the wrong aspect and turned him into a gatherer (not even the best one in the game) with completely negligible sanity perk. This all feels out of character. 

On 8/5/2022 at 10:05 PM, Mike23Ua said:

118E5221-A091-4375-BE8E-51205CD03116.thumb.png.42de2472e469207f09387370ba459506.png

So Klei.. uhh what exactly happened?

We have no IN BETWEEN STORY for the events of the Original game to how he ends up portrayed in DST and that is exactly what I want Maxwell lore to reveal.

Other things worthy of mentioning: How he comes across the Codex Umbra, How he goes from being a Demon, to a “quite sweet boy”..

You'd think the characters would warm up to Maxwell after being forced to cooperate with him on level ground... right? That's probably the reason why they updated the maxwell statue lines in DST

Archived