If Klei is ever going to change something about the ocean, what would you like to see?

As said, in the title, if klei added something to the ocean, what would you like to see? 

I'd personally like to see small islands, filled with smaller things. 

Like an island with a skeleton on it, with a broken or burnt structure surrounded by sharks. 

I want an Ice Biome. It is winter there permanently. Autumn and Spring it acts like normal winter. Winter is extra cold (more ice, really -60 degrees about the level of Crab King) Summer is akin to Winter when the snow on the ground fades away. Small island filled with Pengulls and Ice as well as a few unique resources. I just adore the cold weather and Ice so having something permanent would make me happy. Would be cool if there was a permanent Walrus encampment. This would tie in with the "Where did they go" quote many people have of the Walrus only showing up in the winter.

Maybe have a duality thing with Ice Biome on one side and a Fiery Biome on the other. There you can make a Mega Fire Staff and Mega Ice Staff that works similar to how the Gem Deers work on the Klaus fight. Point is, I want a cold cold cold icy biome.

17 minutes ago, Evelo said:

Snip

Imagine an iceberg you sail into, a darkness over you boat as you sails stop working, but with streaming blue lights from the sun shining through the ice above you, when your boat hits a shifting ice floe, a constant wetness dripping onto your character unless it's winter, when the ice fully freezes over, you venture further into the cave, icicles sticking up out of the ground and the deeper you go, you find pools filled with liquid nitrogen, only being able to stand it with the best insulation, and when you finally bear past these trials you find a staircase that teleports you to the top of the iceberg. 

I made a massive thread about this- but between DS, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, and now also DST there is a TON of content, mobs, resources, biomes, weather effects etc that can really help freshen out the ocean of DST.

Now please do note that when I say “Ocean” I mean both land and water biomes.

Because while Shipwrecked at first glance looks like a DLC that takes place entirely on the Oceans, in actuality you sail around from land biome to land biome gathering resources and food and supply’s for boat repairs.

I guess there is no harm in resharing all the things I and other community members have suggested- so here’s a huge list of things I would like to see.

Remember this will include both Sea and Islands out in the Sea content suggestions.

This will be a long post.. so you might wanna grab a soda and a snack.

first up these guys-

5564F832-B51D-45A8-B38F-340A41E4A86A.thumb.jpeg.45eaf5ee60eeb90020eb327649a55ce6.jpeg

These “Magma Golems” were part of DSTs Forge event, a mode I never got to ever play- But these Vignettes are in the game as a painful reminder of content that I did not get to experience. Putting a Shipwrecked style “Volcanic Biome” out in the ocean somewhere where these guys “Erupt” from the ground and attack could be pretty cool.. found on this same Shipwrecked volcanic biome would be Magmatic Spiders like Webbers skin set Immune to fire damage.

0B1D9AF0-DC15-4F44-8668-D4BF84F64983.png.61bb9b5e072d081d853fbfb05d5f131d.png

Jellyfish, because the ocean has them.. they’re fun to attack and electrocute yourself (could be useful to WX78 charging) they can even lose their charge after jolting you and a Wickerbottom using End is Nigh can recharge them- they will light up and glow while carrying charge.

99A9F1B4-24AD-407A-9336-328C482777F8.gif.3dd3af1b5ce0a1a8fac05b30bcc2dda2.gif

Snakes- Shipwrecked and Hamlet BOTH have Them.. and the cool thing about snakes is some of them (like water moccasin) can Swim.. making them both a land AND Ocean mob. 

Here is a slightly recolored version I call them “skinless snakes”

AA00AA32-6DD0-4AB8-B7EF-05D1BAFEE07C.thumb.jpeg.55059f6665caf149a52b3ad291fcdd18.jpeg

Within the same snake species are the Snotters Snake-Otters. Found in Klei’s unimplemented mobs.

46647DE5-E719-4D25-AF3C-534F3556DFB9.thumb.jpeg.4b9ecac56f0d266dedff87bebf907bff.jpeg

Continuing with the Unimplemented Mobs- here’s a Water Lotus/Shadow Creature thing..

5B11AFC1-3C2E-4085-9760-C5D2B136F3F3.thumb.png.ad6f638a55b64fc05f8ec19b8f7067ce.png

This was supposed to be part of the Water Logged update but was cut due to time restraints.

EDA8667B-2FD4-40C6-88CA-07DF9C314639.thumb.jpeg.f2c4921c30700cd2f4cd308a20b473e7.jpeg

Another mob from Hamlet- Frogs that can actually Swim so again.. they would make for a great mob On land and on the ocean- maybe DONT let these fall during frog rain (or if you do make it optional?) I picture these spawning from things like Monkey tail bushes floating out at sea or whatever.

161EC9E2-6731-4604-BF58-D100BCDEC129.thumb.jpeg.00f0d442d55265595d28a16190e481cb.jpeg

I would love to see this guy scooping up fish in the waters or landing on little “perch’s” out in the water like a long log, or a coral reef Etc, they can even sometimes fail to catch their dinner so it falls out their mouth and lands on the deck of your boat/nearby shore/boat dock flipping and flopping for a second.

73D8D453-C711-4018-A6A4-0AC3A665AFF0.thumb.png.08f3de7f4688e61f4c0044d510cb390c.png

Coral Reefs & very small one or two Palmcone tree islands- perhaps with Anenemy, Shellbells etc from DST on them?

Other noteable features-

Icy Glacier biome with Ice mobs (Monkeys that throw Snowballs??) melting ice glaciers, Pengull/MacTusk camps.

Desert Temple Ruins- Hamlet style jungly ruins with desert sandstorms and quick sand.

Dolphin, StinkRays, Electric Eel.

Some kind of sunken boat watery grave/biome.

Based on how Wagstaff is opening portals out there I expect to see some pretty weird and random biomes from now on, logic doesn't seem to matter much anymore as they are otherworldly portals. I have no idea what it could be though

1 hour ago, Ardcrumb said:

Imagine an iceberg you sail into, a darkness over you boat as you sails stop working, but with streaming blue lights from the sun shining through the ice above you, when your boat hits a shifting ice floe, a constant wetness dripping onto your character unless it's winter, when the ice fully freezes over, you venture further into the cave, icicles sticking up out of the ground and the deeper you go, you find pools filled with liquid nitrogen, only being able to stand it with the best insulation, and when you finally bear past these trials you find a staircase that teleports you to the top of the iceberg. 

My god that sounds like an amazing addition to the Caves biome that is only accessible via ocean.

3 hours ago, xhyom said:

Based on how Wagstaff is opening portals out there I expect to see some pretty weird and random biomes from now on, logic doesn't seem to matter much anymore as they are otherworldly portals. I have no idea what it could be though

Tell me about it. We have no clue what Klei would be planning with Wagstaff.

9 hours ago, Evelo said:

Would be cool if there was a permanent Walrus encampment. This would tie in with the "Where did they go" quote many people have of the Walrus only showing up in the winter.

Yes! 

not only will this help to get walking canes for people on big servers, it will make Wanda be able to set up her backtrack clocks way earlier into the game(maybe make those Walruses an actual threat though, so that it takes at least some preparation and skill to get those sweet tusks) 

More biomes and more mobs. Maybe even more islands. Ocean is way too empty and boring right now it needs something new. And I would like to see some kind of ancient civilization like in the ruins with a new craft station so ocean exploration would be more rewarding.

Definitely better mobility across the entire map for boats.

Either through SW-style warping edges/bermuda triangles or cutting the mainland in at least two or some other way like high/low tide areas that are both sailable and walkable depending on time of day. 

Right now it feels more practical to have several boats scattered all over the map and crossing through the continent on foot to get to the next boat instead of trying to sail around the entire mainland.. which is unfortunate if uve put a lot of work into making a special ‘main’ boat. 

Can find the nearest fish and island equipment,

telescope

Trawl (even if expensive)

Remove the banana milkshake (too cheap and efficient)

fish farm

Ocean storm

Whale tide

More precious marine collections (now the sea has nothing but stones and kelp)

Ocean recipes

Bigger ocean and bigger ship (nothing is more interesting than defeating sea monsters on a big ship)

Shallow sea, middle sea and deep sea (each region has a unique style)

Drifting objects (these objects drifting down from the island will indicate the direction and type of the nearest Island)

Archived