Good time for a big food update?

We’ve been sorely needing new recipes since the farm update, and with greater accessibility to fish farming, this seems like a perfect time to do so. I’d love to see more viable fish recipes and recipes that use more specific crop types.

I want to be more hyped to fish and farm, Klei!

2 minutes ago, KM_Harrowick said:

I would honestly love to see the return of all the Gorge cookware, the oven, the hanging crockpot, and the grill. There would be so, so so many possibilities for recipes. :eek2: 

That would be nice, too. They wouldn’t even have to be as intricate as the gorge versions. Just more structures that you can insert ingredients into and press cook

16 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

That would be nice, too. They wouldn’t even have to be as intricate as the gorge versions. Just more structures that you can insert ingredients into and press cook

Yeah!! A simplified version of those structures would open a whole world of possibilities, maybe one recipe using the same ingredients would result in different dishes depending on the station?

To be fair there are already quite a lot of fish recipes, and really good ones you could definitively take care of any of your stat from.
As for the veggies, there's a lot too, that have been here for a longer time than the fish ones but not gonna lie most of them suck. If you want good crop recipes, the best is to tie them with something extra such as Leafy Meat recipes, or some old classic like spamming Dragon Pies, but from other specific crops only there isn't that much good one if not eventually for some sanity with asparagus, tomatoes and onions, just yeah the most isn't super good for nutritive values and eating the veggies right away is an actual valuable choice in the cases they fit you.

I think it's obvious that the game state has so many food options that are very valuable and require really little effort on the continuity of the production that hunger is frankly just not a problem, and I'm not asking for it to change as for difficulty, that would annoy everyone as always when there's a change of this sort, but the production method in term of efficiency / care could be implemented to most plants other than crops (berries / twigs / grass / etc) to make this sort of Reap What You Saw rework (of its own) to make things better, and at least more entertaining to work with than plant, poop, pick.
Really many things could be changed as for plant renewability, season interactions, think of reworking and add over extra components to make it interesting. I'm gonna mention a forbidden word but disease could be a thing again if it was en-ti-re-ly redone in a fun way of new cons and eventual pros anyone with a bit of imagination could build a concept around. I'm totally aware the previous system was nothing good.

So yeah that would be what I rework the first, just base plants, but I'd never be against a rework of cooking and such things, I'll just be observing as for what come first and hope that's done right for the most, the devs gained experience as for how to make the game mechanisms better and I sure hope they try out dusting some parts of it that aren't as fun as they could be when you look at it in depth.

There's a wonderful mod that's called "Heap of Foods" It adds all Gorge, Shipwrecked, and Hamlet dishes and implements them into crockpot recipes. It also adds several other new farm crops, aloe which can be turned into healing salves, and wheat for flour. I also appreciate the add of texture to the world, as each biome has it's own native crop (swamps: turnips, forest: sweet potatoes, savannah: wheat).

Also this mod is compatible with "Craft Pot" mod (the one that tells you what your dish will be as you fill it up) which I cannot recommend enough.

And if you find this makes the game too easy, try it with "Uncompromising Mode"!

Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 2.13.27 PM.png

14 hours ago, ADM said:

To be fair there are already quite a lot of fish recipes, and really good ones you could definitively take care of any of your stat from.
As for the veggies, there's a lot too, that have been here for a longer time than the fish ones but not gonna lie most of them suck. If you want good crop recipes, the best is to tie them with something extra such as Leafy Meat recipes, or some old classic like spamming Dragon Pies, but from other specific crops only there isn't that much good one if not eventually for some sanity with asparagus, tomatoes and onions, just yeah the most isn't super good for nutritive values and eating the veggies right away is an actual valuable choice in the cases they fit you.

I think it's obvious that the game state has so many food options that are very valuable and require really little effort on the continuity of the production that hunger is frankly just not a problem, and I'm not asking for it to change as for difficulty, that would annoy everyone as always when there's a change of this sort, but the production method in term of efficiency / care could be implemented to most plants other than crops (berries / twigs / grass / etc) to make this sort of Reap What You Saw rework (of its own) to make things better, and at least more entertaining to work with than plant, poop, pick.
Really many things could be changed as for plant renewability, season interactions, think of reworking and add over extra components to make it interesting. I'm gonna mention a forbidden word but disease could be a thing again if it was en-ti-re-ly redone in a fun way of new cons and eventual pros anyone with a bit of imagination could build a concept around. I'm totally aware the previous system was nothing good.

So yeah that would be what I rework the first, just base plants, but I'd never be against a rework of cooking and such things, I'll just be observing as for what come first and hope that's done right for the most, the devs gained experience as for how to make the game mechanisms better and I sure hope they try out dusting some parts of it that aren't as fun as they could be when you look at it in depth.

My problem is that I have little incentive to bother with any of that. Fish recipes tend to not offer a lot of hunger stat, and they all have very fast spoilage rates. Having recipes that require specific crops isn't a buff to farming (unless you just play Warly and need the variety), but as it stands right now, 70% of the time I'm just making honey hams, and 20% of the time I'm making bacon and eggs.

I'd definitely enjoy better cookware that we could use. Cooking more food in one go than entering each crockpot all the time.

Maybe cooking up to 4 same meals per cooking station would be nice and non time consuming. Could have similar to gorge mechanism to when it steams it's ready and when it smokes you burnt the food. Paying attention would make it rewarding.

I'd rather existing recipes get rebalanced before adding new recipes. Puffed Potato souffle still has the stats of its Shipwrecked counterpart despite the fact that Sweet Potatoes where closer to carrots in the DLC, plus eggs litterally growing on trees. And 90% of existing fish recipes are either worthless, don't actually take fish, or need so little fish that they can just be made with freshwater fishing

25 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

A big cave update is more needed.

More biomes, mechanics, enemies.

Better cave generation. Minecarts could be a new transport option.

Food updates should be the easiest thing to do. Can tweak the stats of existing foods, and even just introducing one new recipe per month would be huge for players. The game is called Don't Starve, but food and cooking is one of the more neglected content aspects of the game.

23 hours ago, KM_Harrowick said:

I would honestly love to see the return of all the Gorge cookware, the oven, the hanging crockpot, and the grill. There would be so, so so many possibilities for recipes. :eek2: 

Exactly what i think! Farming is more complex now, but cooking is still toooooooooooo simple

On 7/20/2022 at 5:15 PM, cybers2001 said:

Sure, but how well does cooked bacon and eggs keep in your fridge after 15 days?

Bacon is salted and smoked. Don't know how well eggs hold up with just a sprinkle of salt..

I've said it before but adding in all the gorge cookware, ingredients and recipes would create a much more dynamic and fun cooking experience. I want to add the tree's, tapers, wheat, grinding mill that can only grind wheat so it doesn't step on Warly's toes, add salmon to some of the ponds. Etc. I'd tie some creative new recipes to Warly since he is a chef. Sooooo much potential. I even like the idea of adding silver plates/bowls to buff a dishes stats in a unique way.

i would kinda love an entire food rebalance as an update, changing stats around of basically every food so that things are more balanced

Tho, on everything other than paper, this sounds very difficult, and would probably get a LOT of backlash no matter how much they buff stuff just because their favorite food gives 10 less health

Would be interesting if Klei keeps stats on food popularity. They could adjust both drop rate of ingredients in addition to direct adjustments to food stats.

I also want to see more options for food preservation. Like alternate ways to store cooked foods. Bundling wrap already trivializes food preservation, but is a tedious gameplay loop. One way would be to introduce salt shakers like from the Gorge. Salt is now a bit less painful to farm, but nobody uses salt spice as is. Turn them into something that lets you refresh spoilage.

An update adding all the gorge food into the base game as well as some of the advanced gorge cooking mechanics maybe with a new better cooking station than the crockpot which can yield multiple of the recipe would be great.

3 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

Would be interesting if Klei keeps stats on food popularity. They could adjust both drop rate of ingredients in addition to direct adjustments to food stats.

That is 100% not the way to balance food. Most players unironically eat meatballs. 

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

That is 100% not the way to balance food. Most players unironically eat meatballs. 

How do you come to that conclusion? Abuseable easy recipe with high hunger stat is popular among newer players, therefore its balanced?

I wouldnt mind unironically nerfing meatballs, tbh. :wilsoalmostangelic:

Archived