Good time for a big food update?

1 hour ago, cybers2001 said:

How do you come to that conclusion? Abuseable easy recipe with high hunger stat is popular among newer players, therefore its balanced?

I wouldnt mind unironically nerfing meatballs, tbh. :wilsoalmostangelic:

Are you also for nerfing the damage of the spear? Better weapons deal 75-100% more damage than it and only noobs use it for long, but it is possible to play the game without making anything better than a spear. Screw those noobs, an I right? Get outta my uncompromising game! Just die already! 

57 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

But they already did... Since terraria crossover you can't cook meatballs with morsel + 3 ice...

ye thats it lol.

Still, though. 1 morsel + 3 berries having almost as much hunger as 1 large meat, 2 drumsticks and a berry still seems a bit too good.

1 minute ago, cybers2001 said:

Still, though. 1 morsel + 3 berries having almost as much hunger as 1 large meat, 2 drumsticks and a berry still seems a bit too good.

1 morsel and 3 berries is 50 hunger. You are wasting time cooking in the crock pot and lowering the health you'll receive in exchange for getting a single berry worth of hunger. Also, morsels are harder to get than meat and if you do that same thing with meat you gain 0 hunger. 

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Are you also for nerfing the damage of the spear? Better weapons deal 75-100% more damage than it and only noobs use it for long, but it is possible to play the game without making anything better than a spear. Screw those noobs, an I right? Get outta my uncompromising game! Just die already! 

I'm not going to engage in a pointless hypothetical conversation without even having access to any stats whatsoever. If you can show me the data that suggests starvation is the biggest skill ceiling players experience from this game then you can make a case.

Just now, cybers2001 said:

I'm not going to engage in a pointless hypothetical conversation without even having access to any stats whatsoever. If you can show me the data that suggests starvation is the biggest skill ceiling players experience from this game then you can make a case.

Literally wtf are you talking about? Why are you talking about what the biggest skill ceiling is? 

34 minutes ago, cybers2001 said:

You jumped into an open-ended conversation about food balance to weirdly defend your precious meatballs, dude.

I never even eat meatballs. I said they're a bad food that's mostly used by noobs. Can you make a single comment that isn't just off topic ad hominem? 

2 hours ago, cybers2001 said:

How do you come to that conclusion? Abuseable easy recipe with high hunger stat is popular among newer players, therefore its balanced?

I wouldnt mind unironically nerfing meatballs, tbh. :wilsoalmostangelic:

The existence of such simple recipe is necessary to encourage players in exploring cooking. The fact that they have went far enough to understand how to build a crockpot, instead of simply cooking everything they find over fire, should not be a punishment. Do you think people enjoy the game because it treats them like crap? No, it's because their efforts are rewarded for growing and understanding the world more.

As Cheggf has pointed out, the net hunger increase is not huge mostly compared to eating the cooked ingredients. Most commonly though, new players get a lot of monster meats instead of morsels or pig meats, so meatballs are a great safety net for starters. As the players have learned their new comfort food to rely for the time being, they are given a chance to explore other mechanics and dangers.

Constantly worrying about hunger and getting punished just because you're reliant on a simple popular thing would just cause many players to quit out of frustration from doing zero progress. Good luck telling those people to "get good" when there will be only 13 people left playing the game.

Guys, relax. I don't really care about meatballs. I also never said we should straight nerf everything. The whole point of a "balance" update is to just adapt the meta to the new content that is being offered. This means simultaneously buffing some things while nerfing others.

Can we stop derailing the topic now, please?

Very well.
I would love for some of the existing foods to receive extra love. Fruit Medley, for example, is pretty expensive to 'cook', yet it doesn't bring much to the table. Perhaps dishes like that one could either use some stat rebalancing, or cause some interesting effects.

Maybe in addition to "Lowers temperature by 15 degrees", it could also provide a temporary insulation boost? Perhaps an icy drink could give you a small chunk of heat resistance for 1 minute, but at the same time cause you to unfreeze slower. Stuff that isn't big enough to eclipse over Warly, but not small enough that you don't even think about the effect's existence.

A lot of foods do provide warming or cooling effects, though they seem largely unnoticed by players. Especially with how a lot of warming foods, like honey hams, lose the effect quickly if you cook it and toss it in an ice box.

Archived