[Game Update] - 514299

It's not my intention to sound combative so I apologize if it comes off that way. 

Although, what's the point of getting the Monkey Queen to remove the curse (or the curse in general for that matter) if you can just remove your inventory and suicide to be rid of it? Wouldn't that be pretty counter-intuitive for a curse? 

I don't blame Klei, I know that they ultimately do what they believe is best for the game, I'm just bummed that a lot of the challenge point of this update is able to be largely ignored. 

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 3

4 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

It's not my intention to sound combative so I apologize if it comes off that way. 

Although, what's the point of getting the Monkey Queen to remove the curse (or the curse in general for that matter) if you can just remove your inventory and suicide to be rid of it? Wouldn't that be pretty counter-intuitive for a curse? 

I don't blame Klei, I know that they ultimately do what they believe is best for the game, I'm just bummed that a lot of the challenge point of this update is able to be largely ignored. 

lolol hows it going everybody my names wilson and this is my pile of 6000 cursed trinkets

5 minutes ago, Rafi. said:

We had a new sea threat with cool rewards, and a super cool mechanic that made us actually keep using the sea after getting every exclusive resources from it or makes you embrace it. Now it just feels way more bland.

1 hour ago, Rafi. said:

First it was the raids that got tuned down, now the curse. From Moon Quay to Mid Quay update.

I don't understand, do you intend to die and drop the cursed trinkets all over the world and then just permanently never approach that area again...? This feels like an overreaction. The change doesn't make the curse any more bland or curing it to be any less necessary, killing yourself to get rid of the trinkets isn't a way to deal with the curse in the same way that letting hounds kill you and never visiting that part of the map isn't a way to deal with hounds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

I don't understand, do you intend to die and drop the cursed trinkets all over the world and then just permanently never approach that area again...? This feels like an overreaction. The change doesn't make the curse any more bland or curing it to be any less necessary, killing yourself to get rid of the trinkets isn't a way to deal with the curse in the same way that letting hounds kill you and never visiting that part of the map isn't a way to deal with hounds.

You have multiple ways to die and make your items vanish. The most common one being the eye plants. Just drop an amulet not too far away, die on your plants. And it's done. That saves you the need of a trip to the Moon Quay, and getting bananas. So, basically a real good amount of time. I don't even know why you would compare it to killing yourself on hounds attack, there's no advantages dying cause of them but whatever. It felt nice to go to the Moon Quay and making another part of the world important for your "survival routine" in the game. Which now isn't really the case. Hope you'll understand my point of view on the thing !

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

do you intend to die and drop the cursed trinkets all over the world and then just permanently never approach that area again...?

That's actually a very viable way to get rid of the curse now though, and it takes up very little space to do so. Place your inventory in a chest, go to a specific section of the map, and eat some redcaps. Boom. No more curse. I could definitely see myself making a designated "DO NOT ENTER" area just for this.

Amulets, effigies, even telltale hearts and portal are easy to revive at. There's no consequence to getting cursed now, in fact, you can make it someone else's problem if you wanted to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

That's actually a very viable way to get rid of the curse now though, and it takes up very little space to do so. Place your inventory in a chest, go to a specific section of the map, and eat some redcaps. Boom. No more curse. I could definitely see myself making a designated "DO NOT ENTER" area just for this.

Amulets, effigies, even telltale hearts and portal are easy to revive at. There's no consequence to getting cursed now, in fact, you can make it someone else's problem if you wanted to.

Yeah at this point they should just make it so that when a player “dies” as Wonkey they just return to human form Alive and the curse is fully removed… that or make the trinkets persist to stay with the player even as a ghost. :wilson_evil:

Edited by Mike23Ua

i think you all are kidding yourselves if you think that dying and then permanently never going to whatever piece of land has the cursed trinkets on it is something that is preferable or good to do. Its a frustrating display of "well, i could technically do that on paper, so X threat is meaningless now, actually!"

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Rafi. said:

You have multiple ways to die and make your items vanish. The most common one being the eye plants. Just drop an amulet not too far away, die on your plants. And it's done. That saves you the need of a trip to the Moon Quay, and getting bananas. So, basically a real good amount of time. I don't even know why you would compare it to killing yourself on hounds attack, there's no advantages dying cause of them but whatever. It felt nice to go to the Moon Quay and making another part of the world important for your "survival routine" in the game. Which now isn't really the case. Hope you'll understand my point of view on the thing !

Since I don't think carrying Trinkets when dead will come back as it was too buggy, I think the best way to solve this problem could be by improving Quay's trades giving the player a reason to visit the Moon Quay Island, similar how one goes to visit Pearl for her items.

23 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

i think you all are kidding yourselves if you think that dying and then permanently never going to whatever piece of land has the cursed trinkets on it is something that is preferable or good to do. Its a frustrating display of "well, i could technically do that on paper, so X threat is meaningless now, actually!"

So your telling me I can’t build an area in my base with fences and then fences on the inside of those same fences far enough away that cursed trinkets can’t “fly back” to a player- and have that be a designated dying area where you can go to drop your cursed trinkets off?

2F607875-5413-4A90-B985-5A4C45FE0295.thumb.jpeg.3a362350b0cf71dfc82734a1d8cfe224.jpeg

I wonder exactly how many cursed trinkets I can actually gather and then dump off in this new trinket fence field before it crashes the game for everyone on the server.. :wilson_evil:

Edited by Mike23Ua

28 minutes ago, Rafi. said:

You have multiple ways to die and make your items vanish. The most common one being the eye plants. Just drop an amulet not too far away, die on your plants. And it's done.

This seems bugged and I'm gonna report it. The lureplants simply instantly delete the cursed trinkets rather than having to digest them, so I don't imagine they're intended to eat them at all.

1 hour ago, Rafi. said:

We had a new sea threat with cool rewards, and a super cool mechanic that made us actually keep using the sea after getting every exclusive resources from it or makes you embrace it. Now it just feels way more bland.

Yea even the curse mechanic is kind of worthless now considering now it's undone at the cost of a spider gland or a red gem. I don't think I've ever had such a mood whiplash for a update.

17 minutes ago, Primalflower said:

Thing is why does it even have to be on land? you can suicide on a boat just fine no? It's just denial if you think people aren't going to do this even more so with how annoyed some people have been about the curse mechanic in general.

Edited by Mysterious box
  • Like 2

So when Wonkey dies, the accursed trinkets all drop and your character appears as a normal ghost, rendering Wonkey ghosts unused. So no more Wonkey ghosts? Another thing is that you can now remove the curse by dying to a krampus/eyeplant and let the mob steal all the trinkets. Are these features intentional?

Edited by thewalkingcamel
  • Wavey 1

13 hours ago, Baark0 said:

i give it a day before this animation is photshopped with that one photo of a gun pointing at the camera

You must have missed my post on the previous page.

1 minute ago, Just-guy said:

Since I don't think carrying Trinkets when dead will come back as it was too buggy, I think the best way to solve this problem could be by improving Quay's trades giving the player a reason to visit the Moon Quay Island, similar how one goes to visit Pearl for her items.

The thing is, with Pearl, you don't have any reason to go beside fishing stuff. Which is fine, I love fishing, that's great and all. But the thing is, with the monkeys, the trinkets aren't only about Wonkey, when it comes to gameplay, there was a very cool thing going on with the raids. You defeated it but the monkeys still haven't said their last words kinda thing. Now it's just like "Yeah, I can go kill myself after doing that treasure map, no big deal, I won't loose a full day getting bananas and going to the Moon Quay."

If we get a little retweak to monkey raids spawnrate I would love to have the threat that we first saw during the beta. A otherwordly threat that comes messing with us on the sea and make us go deep into their territory to undo their mischief. I understand that it was buggy, but honestly, it was such a cool feature that I'm sure it would be worth it to work on that.

11 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

This seems bugged and I'm gonna report it. The lureplants simply instantly delete the cursed trinkets rather than having to digest them, so I don't imagine they're intended to eat them at all.

Go ahead, report it. That solution only comes to play during and after the first spring. I have multiple ways of getting rid of them during the first autumn on any server without more than basic resources, and I only thought about it for like 5 minutes. Imagine what other people could find to get rid of them like it was nothing. The way it was before was for me, the greatest way to makes it feel like a curse and an actual change when it comes to different type of threats.

13 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Yea even the curse mechanic is kind of worthless now considering now it's undone at the cost of a spider gland or a red gem. I don't think I've ever had such a mood whiplash for a update.

Thing is why does it even have to be on land? you can suicide on a boat just fine no? It's just denial if you think people aren't going to do this even more so with how annoyed some people have been about the curse mechanic in general.

You literally don’t even need a boat.. just a small garden in your base where necklaces go with a square of walls between you and the necklaces attachment radius.

Also Klei if I somehow gather 2000 of these and leave them right at the spawn… how does that effect players joining in?

I don't want to have an argument about the pirate raids, i've said my piece on it, they sucked in actual gameplay both in frequency and in how they actually feel to combat and the devs seem to agree on both fronts. When it comes to the cursed trinkets I'll repeat that it is very silly to imagine someone... dying over and over to x or y thing in order to avoid such a thing, when contextualized with the people arguing this point's vehement adoration of the survival/challenge aspect of this video game, I strongly disagree with the notion that this is something that people dying over and over periodically in order to deal with accursed trinkets is something that will be done over... anything else.

Edited by Primalflower
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

You literally don’t even need a boat.. just a small garden in your base where necklaces go with a square of walls between you and the necklaces attachment radius.

Also Klei if I somehow gather 2000 of these and leave them right at the spawn… how does that effect players joining in?

I know but my point is for 8 grass, 2 twigs, and 1 log you can drop the trinkets where they'll never be seen again unless you intentionally go to a spot in our vast empty sea to pick them up for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

I don't want to have an argument about the pirate raids, i've said my piece on it, they sucked in actual gameplay both in frequency and in how they actually feel to combat and the devs seem to agree on both fronts. When it comes to the cursed trinkets I'll repeat that it is very silly to imagine someone... dying over and over to x or y thing in order to avoid such a thing, when contextualized with the people arguing this point's vehement adoration of the survival/challenge aspect of this video game, I strongly disagree with the notion that this is something that people will do over... anything else.

You heavily underestimate the power of greifing.. and now that you can just leave these trinkets laying around- Klei’s going to have that happen at such an alarming rate they may actually need to shut the games servers down for 3 weeks to clean up the mess.

Ive seen such mistakes happen with other games/franchises and sadly it’s not that uncommon amongst the gaming industry.

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

When it comes to the cursed trinkets I'll repeat that it is very silly to imagine someone... dying over and over to x or y thing in order to avoid such a thing, when contextualized with the people arguing this point's vehement adoration of the survival/challenge aspect of this video game, I strongly disagree with the notion that this is something that people dying over and over periodically in order to deal with accursed trinkets is something that will be done over... anything else.

it's really silly. like, if the idea is that the curse needs to be an intense threat or hazard to your survival... why is it completely fine to "solve" that via killing yourself? makes me think of when i was new to the game and would base at the portal and revive myself over and over anytime i starved or died to anything. if making this threat trivial involves dying, then like... the threat just killed you, you just effectively "lost" to it, your survival was ended.

• Like 1