Crab King  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Will crab king be reworked in the near future

• Yes
    • No

I used to say that klei will most likely never revisit previous content, in particular, bad bosses, but then they reworked ag.

Since then ive been questioning myself if klei would ever change the other hated boss of the game, when i asked people, i got mixed answers, from "most likely" to "ancient guardian was just a particular case"

what do you think

I wouldn't say near future, but I'm sure we will get a Crab King rework eventually. I just hope that they tweak the stat gains per gem instead of a full rework though. The boss is actually quite fun to fight if you can pull it off without using ice staves, but the buffed freeze range and intensity, the lowered casting time, and the number of claws spawned are enough to make rowing around Crab King an unreasonably demanding strategy. I even doubt it is possible to fight the pearled Crab King as any character other than Wolfgang, which is a huge shame.

1 hour ago, jan Mele said:

AG was way worse than crab king is now

No, he absolutely was not.

Ancient Guardian was never a fun fight, but it wasn't a difficult one either. It was just a slog. You had like 3+ ways to cheese him though, which meant you could reap its rewards without suffering through some yawn-inducing gameplay.

Crab King is not a fun fight either, but it's also a very difficult that punishes even the smallest mistakes by sinking your boat and teleporting you to the nearest shore with half your items gone, while also having way worse loot than the Guardian. On top of that, it completely squanders the make-your-own-boss concept by having most the buffs you can give him so ridiculously strong that there is effectively only one way to actually do the fight. (And it takes some pretty intense multitasking to pull off solo.)

And, for those of you who don't remember, the Crab King beta was a complete joke. We got a badly designed boss, then we had one of the few semi-bearable ways of fighting that badly designed boss removed, then the badly designed boss was buffed to hell and back and finally, only 1 week after the beta started, the devs went like "Are we out of touch? No, it's the players who are wrong" and moved it to live branch.

I can't say if it will or will not happen, but I will say I want it to.

It took me so long to kill CK, and it was anti-climactic because I beat CC first try only taking a few hits for the entire fight.

The boss required for CC is harder than CC to the point where the two are not even comparable in the slightest, in my experience.

I like Fuelweaver bc while it's difficult, the fight is pretty intuitive and you can learn from your failed attempts and hopefully adapt to the fight to have better chances next attempt, while Crab King is a pure game of reflexes, resources, precision, inventory management, and game knowledge. The fights usually end in "you weren't fast/precise enough", not "you made a mistake and failed to adapt" which imo is not fun for a PVE game, and I think many people would agree on that, but I can't speak for everyone I guess.

I hope if they do it doesn’t take a whole update. Don’t get me wrong, I’m constantly impressed by how Klei has kept the game enjoyable and relatively fresh through monthly updates over the years, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tired of all the rework updates. Everyone is saying to rework this and that but as it stands, we haven’t gotten any actual new content for a long time now.

The CK rework can literally be some changes in the values of the gem buffs, and maybe a new item (i.e. rain flute) and I don’t think that warrants a whole update.

I know that the updates are free and I shouldn’t complain or whatever, but this is just my opinion.

Klei’s big announcement is later today so maybe it’ll include something big for DST, who knows.

50 minutes ago, deemo_ said:

I hope if they do it doesn’t take a whole update. Don’t get me wrong, I’m constantly impressed by how Klei has kept the game enjoyable and relatively fresh through monthly updates over the years, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tired of all the rework updates. Everyone is saying to rework this and that but as it stands, we haven’t gotten any actual new content for a long time now.

The CK rework can literally be some changes in the values of the gem buffs, and maybe a new item (i.e. rain flute) and I don’t think that warrants a whole update.

I know that the updates are free and I shouldn’t complain or whatever, but this is just my opinion.

Klei’s big announcement is later today so maybe it’ll include something big for DST, who knows.

well, when they reworked ag they didnt titled it "the ancient guardian rework update"

if they ever rework ck (unlikely) it would be in a qol

crab king is in my opinion one of main things that ruin whole concept of exploring content all by yourself, im not even talking about whole thing of putting gems and completing pearl's tasks, you can guess it by listening to her dialogues and other things, but fact that fight is even possible to complete even with multiple people by guessing that you need only purple gems is horrible, just imagine, you are a new player and you don't watch guides or check community at all, trying to play game by discovering everything by yourself, you manage to get to crab king, get yourself some healing, armour, weapon, activate him with blue gems(because of how cheap they are) and get destroyed for not searching for guides, even if you play multiplayer with people who don't watch for guides too it doesn't become any easier
yes we do have fuelweaver, but 1:he's very endgame boss and on completely other level than crab king, 2:possible to beat with mutliple people without searching for guides, fuelweaver is really designed for a multiplayer, where people will kill woven shadows by themselves, nightmare amulets are left from clearing atrium, sanity is what you probably will take in caves fight, crab king is straight up punishing for not spoilering game to yourself

On 6/2/2022 at 9:25 PM, Eughstein said:

crab king is in my opinion one of main things that ruin whole concept of exploring content all by yourself, im not even talking about whole thing of putting gems and completing pearl's tasks, you can guess it by listening to her dialogues and other things, but fact that fight is even possible to complete even with multiple people by guessing that you need only purple gems is horrible, just imagine, you are a new player and you don't watch guides or check community at all, trying to play game by discovering everything by yourself, you manage to get to crab king, get yourself some healing, armour, weapon, activate him with blue gems(because of how cheap they are) and get destroyed for not searching for guides, even if you play multiplayer with people who don't watch for guides too it doesn't become any easier
yes we do have fuelweaver, but 1:he's very endgame boss and on completely other level than crab king, 2:possible to beat with mutliple people without searching for guides, fuelweaver is really designed for a multiplayer, where people will kill woven shadows by themselves, nightmare amulets are left from clearing atrium, sanity is what you probably will take in caves fight, crab king is straight up punishing for not spoilering game to yourself

As I'm reading you, I now remember my fight, I mean, my attempt. The only thing I had in mind, that I spoiled to myself, is that I had to freeze him once i'd see bubbles, in order to avoid sinkholes on my boat. And things about putting the right gems, but I wasn't sure.

I was well prepared, so let's go then ! Full of blue gems ! 

I tried. And I understood. The worst is that I couldn't change the gems (can we ?). I thought I was stuck and I saw the bees strat, and that's what I did. Was long but was happy then.

I don't know why they did it this way. Maybe putting only pearl's pearl would be enough, because it's hard enough to obtain it without spoils.

We need an excel board to see the consequences of every single gem we put in there. So I'm for a litlle rework.

But this Crab king necessary spoil is not a new thing to this game. The entire game is a nightmare to complete without spoils. You mentionned the fuelweaver fight, but everything you do to get this fight is hard to discover by yourself.

Comeback to statues on full moon. Giant tentacles: if you're unlucky and not discover the atrium one, you can conclude that it's only shortcuts, useless, so you maybe won't try the others, or you won't count them on the map...

This game is the only media where I don't mind spoil myself. And I hate spoilers, I hate spoilers, I hate spoilers. Movies, books, video games, anniversaries, everything in life that could bring surprises. But this game ? Weird, but I'm fascinated even with spoils.

21 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

I actually enjoy ck solo, tho I do think that the claws have too much health and their damage is too high and that his healing while pearled should still be cancellable consistently by 1 player

What gems you put for your fight ? Purple ? Did you spoil yourself in order to ? I wish I put purple gems when I tried, but I put blue. So when it was done, when i saw this blue nghtmare, I was happy to know that one fight was enough. Not like the fuelweaver, where you can have very useful items.

20 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

What gems you put for your fight ? Purple ? Did you spoil yourself in order to ? I wish I put purple gems when I tried, but I put blue. So when it was done, when i saw this blue nghtmare, I was happy to know that one fight was enough.

fyi you can combine gem colors, you don't need to use all purple/blue/whatever

my gem combinations depend on the strategy I use

1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

fyi you can combine gem colors, you don't need to use all purple/blue/whatever

my gem combinations depend on the strategy I use

I know we can mix them. I was still on my response above and this spoil problem. I could ask you if you checked guides.

But if you made some fights, did you try full blue ? The range of his freeze is so big, you need so much of your ice staff to freeze him, I knew it would be impossible.... is it ? that's why I suggest purple, because it seems the easier, but not sure.

What is your combination if you want an easy fight ?

7 hours ago, Moonatik said:

I know we can mix them. I was still on my response above and this spoil problem. I could ask you if you checked guides.

But if you made some fights, did you try full blue ? The range of his freeze is so big, you need so much of your ice staff to freeze him, I knew it would be impossible.... is it ? that's why I suggest purple, because it seems the easier, but not sure.

What is your combination if you want an easy fight ?

all ck strats I use I figured out on my own, it's not hard to test boss fights on pc, I could only see that being a problem on console but rollbacks can be used in that case as well so it's not completely off the table

up to 3 red gems pretty much do nothing if unpearled, if pearled then avoid adding red gems entirely

blue should only be used if your strategy isn't to cancel attacks with ice staves; up to 5 blue gems (or pearl + 2 blues) have a short enough attack range to let you dodge the freeze even if you don't destroy the ring of sea stacks

up to 5 yellows (or pearl +2 yellows) is perfectly fine to play against, more than that might feel overly punishing but can be played around if you know what to expect

if pearled I avoid adding green gems entirely but without the pearl you can add a single one (does nothing) or add 2-3 which force the hexagonal pattern of claws to show up if your strategy relies on it

with and without the pearl you can add 2 orange gems with absolutely no effect on the amount of hits necessary to interrupt the heals, great filler gem since I never use orange gems for anything else

ofc purples are better than all the other ones simply because there's never any strategy in which you want to let yourself get hit by geysers (unless you bring a few extra boats and a lot of dps) and that's kind of a design problem but other gem combinations are still good to know

It seems that Klei leave cheeses unfixed for those bosses that they want to rework in future. Look at AG and bee queen, AG's pillar cheese was kept all the time until the rework, meanwhile all bee queen cheeses are getting fixed when Klei notice them. So, maybe, just maybe Klei will rework crab king in future similarly to AG, because they still didn't do anything with bee cheese even though adding some pinch melee attack for crab king that only works on mobs wouldn't be hard to do. 

Archived