Failed Survivors Notebooks

Spawn & contents of notebook corpses  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which info should the notebooks contain, basics (hounds etc.) or advanced info (fuelweaver etc.)?

• Both, basics and advanced info
    • Only basics
    • Only advanced information
  2. 2. Should notebook corpses all guaranteedly spawn in the world?

• No, they should randomly spawn like all other corpses
    • Yes, they should all be guaranteed

The game isn't exactly newbie friendly if we exclude internet tutorials on it, especially some stuff like ancient fuelweaver questline, mooncaller event, crab king fight etc. which are really not intuitive.

So, I suggest adding new skeletons/boons/"failed survivors" corpses, which would contain not only some items, but also new special item, notebook with written tips or information in it.

Players can read notebooks, similarly to cookbook, opening new GUI, expect the GUI will be much simpler and it will be just text on papyrus or paper background. This way newbies can learn without using internet guides, by using in-game ways of learning.

I'm leaving exact contents of notebooks up to developers or people who will read the thread, but the main theme of them would be telling newbies the basics like, crockpot values, preparation for hound raids, preparing for winter etc.

Notebook corpses will also appear in less accessible places like ruins, and those ones will contain more complicated information, like doing fuelweaver questline, and a notebook corpse on lunar island would, as example, contain information about putting starcaller's staff into the moonstone to start the ritual.

Cookbook already shows you crockpot information, dying to a hound waves shows you it exists and the new craft UI makes preparing for them easier than ever, preparing for winter is also easier than ever since you just click on the winter picture and see what's inside, fuelweaver questline is admittedly not explained to my knowledge and could be explained better but it's not this super mandatory thing and from what I've seen even with people aware of it they frequently don't since it's tedious to set up. 

Why would notebooks exist for content that didn't exist before the current set of survivors like the moon falling? 

I absolutely adore the idea of notebooks, they could hint towards certain bosses and could reward new player's exploration with information from these notebooks. Though personally I think it should be notes and not entire notebooks.

I also want to add that with notes a failed survivor won't be necessary since you could always say the note caught wind and flew away. It would also feel better if you just stumbled on 1 lone note in the middle of the caves. It would feel so much more mysterious rather then adding a spooky skeleton next to it for the 100th time.

I kinda like the idea, but a notebook doesn't feel super unique. Big chunks of text to explain lore in exposition dumps or effectively fancily-worded wiki articles are also kinda annoying to sift through in games, at least for me.

But this is a good topic to discuss and think further on. I support the idea.

I like the mystery, I think this sort of spoils it. I don't typically play any video games aside from first person shooters. I think Diablo II may be the only exception to that.

The only reason that I continued playing this game after I died during the first night was because I was curious... what just happened? DST is now tied for my most favorite game ever (with the original Half-life). 

16 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Cookbook already shows you crockpot information, dying to a hound waves shows you it exists and the new craft UI makes preparing for them easier than ever, preparing for winter is also easier than ever since you just click on the winter picture and see what's inside, fuelweaver questline is admittedly not explained to my knowledge and could be explained better but it's not this super mandatory thing and from what I've seen even with people aware of it they frequently don't since it's tedious to set up. 

Why would notebooks exist for content that didn't exist before the current set of survivors like the moon falling? 

Cookbook doesn't show you values of ingredients or required values or items for a dish to be cooked, only previous recipes that worked for you, if you even managed to cook a specific dish out of experimenting in first place. I said hound waves preparation, so, tips on how to deal with them, as example, not just that "they exist". Winter: fair, probably. If not all people fight fuelweaver, it doesn't mean that there's no point in telling information about killing fuelweaver.

Because, if I'm not wrong, the thing with survivors getting reborn after they die wasn't deleted from the lore, and so previous lives of survivors left those corpses with notes/notebooks. Also because it's not only for lore, but also for gameplay (about the moon information in notebooks).

Also, honestly, are you on this forum just to annoy people and criticize their ideas only? In pretty much all recent forum threads that I've checked you didn't comment anything or you did comment something negative and/or aggressive, one of the two, usually the second.

18 hours ago, Cheggf said:

There is one guaranteed boon on the moon island so there was someone before the player. 

Archived