Things that (i think) need to be buffed

Hello, while everyone else talks about how one thing is more op than another, i want to talk about how some things in dst are just useless, but can be changed in a better way.

1:Blue Amulet and Night Light, these 2 magic tab items both got sad fate of just being outshined by their better and cheaper alternatives.Night Light was added back in insanity update, it main's feature was a light source that doesn't get removed by shadow hands (that still actually happens when fully fueled), currently we have star caller's staff, moon caller's staff, scaled furnace and just other cheaper light sources.Even as a decoration, Night Light works only a single day at a cost of 3 nightmare fuels, i think that if Klei buffed Night Light's working time for 10 days or so and made it immune to shadow hands for all time Night Light would be a better structure.As for Blue Amulet, just like with Night Light it should have extended work time and have stronger freezing effect, 6 minutes is less than a day of a gem(that you could use for something better) to give you heat protection and small freezing effect to enemies when they attack you.

2: Useless weapons and armour.In dst we have a lot of different types of weapons and armour, some of them gets used more some are less, but there are a specific group of them that doesn't get use almost at all.Fire staff, Tail o' Three Cats, Darts and Scalemail.Fire staff is too expensive to use it on normal enemies and works too bad against bosses, Darts are just expensive, Whip requires you to get multiple resources that's drop is pure rng and deals less damage than a cheaper spear, and  Scalemail is horrible in all ways, expensive, gives only 70% protection and burns enemies that attack you.Fire staff can be buffed by just extending time enemies burn from it, Darts would be waay better if reeds were just removed from craft and tube was separate item like Walter's slingshot, Whip just needs better stats in terms of damage and durability, and Scalemail should be completely deleted from the game.

3:Thick fur being uselles, yes, i know that there are some epic crafts like Hibearnation Vest and insulation pack, but they simply don't have any use in late game, Vest simply isn't used in winter at all because of Beefalo hat and thermal stone doing better, Pack just gets replaced by Krampus sack because of more slots.All other materials dropped from bosses get at least some use even in late game(Houndius, Weather Pain, Scaled Chest, Lamps and so on), but bearger's fur just becomes uselles completely and just stacks more and more filling chests, even at least as some sort of decoration thick fur would be way more useful than it is now.

And that's pretty much it.

43 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

Blue Amulet

A single blue gem to keep you cool through several summers is insanely cheap. Use it to cool you then wear insulating clothes to keep that coolness.

Fire staff,

Useful in several situations like Bee queen and toadstool.

Darts

Darts are really overpowered, the only thing keeping them in check is their difficulty to obtain. If you mass them, typically done by being Wickerbottom, you can basically turn combat off.

Scalemail

I saw somebody use it against bee queen with good success.

3:Thick fur being uselles, yes, i know that there are some epic crafts like Hibearnation Vest and insulation pack, but they simply don't have any use in late game,

Nothing has any use in late game.

Vest simply isn't used in winter at all because of Beefalo hat and thermal stone doing better

Thermal stone is like 2/3 as good as the vest but doesn't slow hunger or stack with clothes. The vest slows hunger and stacks with clothes allowing you to make it like 3x as good as a stone.

Pack just gets replaced by Krampus sack because of more slots.

Krampus Sack doesn't slow spoilage and is such a hassle to get that the time it saves probably won't make up for the time it took to get it.

Blue amulet is very cheap as a way to lower your temperature. As a way to freeze attackers it's honestly a meme.

I think tail o' three cats isn't meant to be used for damage. The only buff I'd want to see is just make the loud snap have a 100% chance to happen. That way it'd be a great de-aggro tool.

Hibearnation vest is far from useless. Beefalo hat + thermal stone doesn't give you sanity to offset dusk/night sanity drain, doesn't allow you to wear enlightened crown and stay warm for long at the same time, plus it stacks with hibearnation vest, which means you can go out in cold for much longer than with beefalo hat alone. The change I'd love to see for hibearnation vest is just make the durability longer than 7 days.

Darts are complicated. Without a Wickerbottom the only darts that can be reasonably mass-produced are electric darts and even then, I feel bad about actually using them. Actually, with changes to hound attacks (they come much less frequently at default settings), even with Wickerbottom, blow darts would be kinda hard to mass-produce now, hounds teeth of all things would be a limiting factor. Day 500+ in my world and I only have like 3 stacks of hounds teeth in my chest, you'd have to either build a varg farm or farm mactusks at every opportunity now.

Agree on fire staff, it's essentially just a long-range torch. The only things that push it and scalemail back is the loot turning to ash and fire doing poor damage. Perhaps fire isn't meant to be used for damage, but instead its main purpose is to make mobs panic? That's very effective against some mobs, mainly bishops.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Useful in several situations like Bee queen and toadstool.

How is a fire staff good for either of these?

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

saw somebody use it against bee queen with good success.

I can't imagine scalemail being any good against beequeen unless you want to set your whole world on fire. Also panflutes/ speed boost are easier to get and more effective imo, but I'd like to hear how scalemail can be used effectively.

4 hours ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

I can't imagine scalemail being any good against beequeen unless you want to set your whole world on fire.

This is actually a strategy, and an interesting one. The fact is that the drop from the queen bee doesn't burn if she died from fire, whereas her henchbees, setting themselves on fire, begin to panic, and don't attack as often and constantly. Also, the fire effect can be combined with a flingomatic to also freeze the boss. Of course, it's important to calculate the amount of armor and heal here, and a certain skill is needed, but I saw videos where this strategy was successfully used, and I myself was able to reduce the queen's health by at least two-thirds when I tried to test it, and I should note that it dropped very quickly. As for the fact that it sets the environment on fire, a large hive is usually located in a spacious clearing where there is nothing but flowers and other hives. They are easy to clear so that nothing is damaged. With all that said, it's still a very niche use that I learned about quite recently, and I support the idea that this armor can get a buff.

As for the whip, I have a mod that slightly expands its range so that it can reach the birds. And that's enough to make it valuable to me, even with its small damage. But using it for more contests stun would also be interesting.

11 hours ago, Eughstein said:

As for Blue Amulet, just like with Night Light it should have extended work time and have stronger freezing effect, 6 minutes is less than a day of a gem(that you could use for something better) to give you heat protection and small freezing effect to enemies when they attack you.

the defensive freeze perk should be buffed for sure but the durability when wearing it is fine because you arent suppose to wear it the whole time, you wear summer protection and when you start overheating you wear the amulet for few seconds to cool down. I won't mind a buff but people miss understood a lot this item

11 hours ago, Eughstein said:

Fire staff is too expensive to use it on normal enemies and works too bad against bosses

how is 1 red gem and 2 nf expensive? the problem with using them against regular mobs is that they only work for crowd control, to scare them since regular mobs receive little damage but against bosses are the best use because deal 80 dsmage per use so 20×80 for the cost of 1 red gem :/

again, wont care a buff but seems like you dont understand the item (no offense)

12 hours ago, Eughstein said:

3:Thick fur being uselles, yes, i know that there are some epic crafts like Hibearnation Vest and insulation pack, but they simply don't have any use in late game, Vest simply isn't used in winter at all because of Beefalo hat and thermal stone doing better, Pack just gets replaced by Krampus sack because of more slots.All other materials dropped from bosses get at least some use even in late game(Houndius, Weather Pain, Scaled Chest, Lamps and so on), but bearger's fur just becomes uselles completely and just stacks more and more filling chests, even at least as some sort of decoration thick fur would be way more useful than it is now.

Thick fur should let you craft the Beard hair Rug turf from Hamlet. Just rename it to something like Thick fur rug and then we have a cool fully black tile in the game

2 minutes ago, Ornge said:

Thick fur should let you craft the Beard hair Rug turf from Hamlet. Just rename it to something like Thick fur rug and then we have a cool fully black tile in the game

+10% speed buff of beard growing when standig on it

21 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I saw somebody use it against bee queen with good success.

I just have to point out that that video was misleading. I've tried out the method myself after watching it. It's the other items that were used in the fight that contributed to the success.

The blue amulet sounds like a good alternative when you don't have a thermal stone + a bunch of nitre/a moon caller staff in your inventory.

Insulated pack = inferior version of bundling wrap

Regarding the scalemail, the only time i saw it being used in a serious gameplay was in a Joeschmocoolstuff enraged dragonfly speedrun. But this strat is obsolete as people figured out one could avoid the fire damage by stepping back.

5 hours ago, Waynel said:

The blue amulet sounds like a good alternative when you don't have a thermal stone + a bunch of nitre/a moon caller staff in your inventory.

Why would you want to be tethered to stars from a valuable staff when you can just use like a third of a blue gem to be able to cool off without stopping?

On 5/15/2022 at 6:15 AM, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

How is a fire staff good for either of these?

for bq you are adding damage from a safe distance. You can take the moments where she is surronded by bees to set her in fire while you isolate her. Adds a respetable ammount of damage to make the firsts phase shorter if you dont rely on pan flute spam

for toad is useful because you can add damage while you deal with the spore caps or even set them in fire from distance if for some reason you dont have weather pains

You forgot Maxwell. Hes actually playable but the workers can be  so annoying. They destroy growing trees, MARBLE trees, and its almost impossible to properly controllable rn. But I can tell you this wielding a dark sword as him makes you feel like a God

2 hours ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

You forgot Maxwell. Hes actually playable but the workers can be  so annoying. They destroy growing trees, MARBLE trees, and its almost impossible to properly controllable rn. But I can tell you this wielding a dark sword as him makes you feel like a God

i know about Maxwell and did had experience with him, but i didn't mention him for same reason i didn't mentioned Wickerbottom, we know that they will be buffed in their own reworks

20 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why would you want to be tethered to stars from a valuable staff when you can just use like a third of a blue gem to be able to cool off without stopping?

Waiting 20 seconds under a polar star to let your thermal stone cool down before you continue your journey is no big deal.

It's a valuable staff precisely because it makes your temperature decrease very quickly, and it boasts an insane amount of uses (50, compared to 20 uses for the regular staff).

Totally agree with night light, somewhat agree with chilling amulet, and partially agree with scalemail. I use scalemail with Wanda to kill the enraged Dragonfly, as she can't heal with jellybeans to recover from the fire damage, or after the second/third Dragonfly kill for the same purpose as any other character, just for the convenience. The damage absorbtion being too low hurts though, I wish they reduced durability a bit in exchange for more absorbtion.

The chilling amulet, as others pointed out, is actually quite cheap. My only problem with it is that it really isn't worth over the endothermic fire camp/pit, since there isn't so many stuff that require nitre, and the Moonstaff is obtainable during the mid-game anyways. I don't think increasing the amulet's durability would make it a better option than the others though, a buff that is not too drastic should be enough to give it a niche outside of your base.

15 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

i agree with night light

what if you could give it a shadow atrium to make it burn forever, thad be awesome

Or even the thurible. You basically need 4 thuribles to make the Fuelweaver fight easier, but obtaining the thurible also requires an atrium (which is mass-producable with cheese), a boss fight, and a 20 day cooldown. It would provide infinite light anyways, so this idea seemed like a compromise to me, considering that the item only has two purposes and that it is not mass-producable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a bunch of items that are cool in theory but not really worth the hassle in practice.

Chilled Amulet: I thought it was useless at first, but it's not bad. You basically use it when you're about to overheat, let your temperature drop a bit and then unequip it. You can really extend your trips away from an endothermic fire pit this way, for just some gold and a blue gem.

Night Light: this has to be useless. Literally burning valuable Nightmare fuel while offering no more benefit than a Lantern.

Fire Staff: I don't think it's ever worth it, but it's also hard to revamp. It competes with the cheap Torch so it's really hard to justify making it.

Darts: I actually went and farmed some Electric Darts the other day. Was quite tedious. Multiple swamp clears for two stacks of Reeds each time. Made like 18 Birdcages and put them in the caves. Made a Feather Hat and five Scarecrows. Made a bunch of Bird Traps. Eventually I did get a good amount of yellow feathers, used up a ton of Reeds (again), as well as some gold which I had tons of anyways. Then I swapped to Wolfgang, since he deals 300 damage per Electric dart to the Big Tentacles because they're always wet. So I had the ideal weapon for finding the Atrium. Except after killing five tentacles with no luck I got bored, looked at the map and realized I had already discovered a portion of the Atrium so I could just lazy explorer over there. Was it all worth it? No.

- Scalemail: I was looking for better body armor slot options than expensive Log suits. Eventually I settled on using all my Thulecite and Green gems from my second ruins clear on Suits. Admittedly they're not cheap, but they have no downsides aside from that and they last forever. Scalemail is bad because of the burning effect mainly. Can't use it to defend your base. Requiring 3 pig skins and a log suit is also a chore. That's 12 pig kills or 3 werepig kills, per suit. It's easier to just make 3 log suits and save the scales. It really needs a major buff. Compared to boss items like the Eyebrella, Bundling Wrap, Insulated Pack or Weather Pain, the Scalemail really stinks. You'd need to nerf Scale duplicating though if you were to make it actually worth crafting.

- Thick fur is just amazing, I don't have a Krampus sack but it's a pain to get. Kiting Bearger is actually easy and nets you a fridge backpack, which is way better than a snow Chester (especially as I'm Webber and my spiders' favorite food is Chester). And the hibearnation vest + beefalo hat combo is really strong in winter.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, EighteenXVIII said:

Darts: I actually went and farmed some Electric Darts the other day. Was quite tedious. Multiple swamp clears for two stacks of Reeds each time. Made like 18 Birdcages and put them in the caves. Made a Feather Hat and five Scarecrows. Made a bunch of Bird Traps. Eventually I did get a good amount of yellow feathers, used up a ton of Reeds (again), as well as some gold which I had tons of anyways. Then I swapped to Wolfgang, since he deals 300 damage per Electric dart to the Big Tentacles because they're always wet. So I had the ideal weapon for finding the Atrium. Except after killing five tentacles with no luck I got bored, looked at the map and realized I had already discovered a portion of the Atrium so I could just lazy explorer over there. Was it all worth it? No.

While in your particular case it definitely doesn't sound like all that work was worth it I get really good usage/mileage out of blowdarts.

I use them for phase three of CC because on console that phase of the fight is an actual nightmare and CC just kites the absolute hell out of you if you try to use melee and punishes you while doing so, its brutal. So a few stacks of darts under chili goat jelly effects makes short work of phase 3.

I also use them for Malbatross to re-engage or when its being pesky and flying around everywhere and won't come close.

I use it for various other bosses when I feel like something a little different from straight up melee combat.

On 5/15/2022 at 4:36 AM, Cheggf said:

Darts are really overpowered, the only thing keeping them in check is their difficulty to obtain. If you mass them, typically done by being Wickerbottom, you can basically turn combat off.

I wouldn't call darts overpowered at all, but they definitely shouldn't be buffed. This game just isn't build for long-range combat.

2 hours ago, jan Mele said:

I wouldn't call darts overpowered at all, but they definitely shouldn't be buffed. This game just isn't build for long-range combat.

They have insane DPS with no risk to yourself. If you had infinite of them they would be super busted. They're really hard to obtain a large amount of because of how strong they are.

54 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They have insane DPS with no risk to yourself. If you had infinite of them they would be super busted. They're really hard to obtain a large amount of because of how strong they are.

and that is the thing that makes them extremely niche. Melee will always be better than ranged in most scenarios.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

525 reed, 275 hound teeth and 275 azure feathers to kill dragonfly (or 572 reeds, 286 golden nuggets and and 286 saffron feathers). With gunpowder it is 129 rotten eggs, 129 nitre and 129 charcoal + a pan flute.

Archived