I recently remembered an item called "Pick/Axe". I forgot about it entirely, because it's never used as it's just bad. Wasting thulecite for something like that is not worth it at all.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Pick/Axe perk: make it's work more efficient -> more resources drop than normal.

2. Make it possible to repair it with thulecite fragments, 10% for each maybe?

3. Make it have a chance of shadows destroying something you're chopping/mining in one hit?

I'm not good at balancing, the first one seems good but not good enough for pick/axe to be ever crafted. I don't know how to give it meaningful perks, those are just my small ideas. Anyone have something else?

EDIT: I just saw that I posted this on a wrong part of the site. I can't find any buttons that would delete my post, sorry for the inconvenience.

It's not bad, it's just cumbersome. Gotta lug twigs and gold at a minimum if not the tools themselves just to get a fast working pick\axe. A durability buff or recipe change is all it needs, if that.

The Pick/Axe is in a fine enough spot IMO. Works faster, saves an inventory slot, and only costs 2 Thulecite. Not the best item in the world, But I like to make a couple of them whenever I stop by the ruins. 

IMO, the only buff I could see it "needing" is a further increase to durability. It was already doubled a year or so back, but more couldn't hurt.

the workspeed is barely any better than gold tools and the durability although big, is outdone by a stack of gold and twigs in ur inventory, two materials i have no problems always having on me. 

The axe+pick combo also isnt very useful. Pick+hammer or axe+shovel would be way more useful. 

How about remove the gold tools in the recipe and add living log(s) and an orange gem in addition to the thul and make it more powerful.

Chopped/mined resources could immediately go to ur inventory as an added perk. Although i really would prefer different tool combos like i mentioned above. 

1 hour ago, Reiko24 said:

Make it have a chance of shadows destroying something you're chopping/mining

maybe this one and like, two hitting stuff like the ones from tulecite club. the anothers are way too much :v 

2 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

if you use it as a weapon it will probably outlive you

This is how I use the Pick/Axe. It's a really general weapon for random, everyday fights before you get the Shield of Terror.

10 hours ago, Ohan said:

How about remove the gold tools in the recipe and add living log(s) and an orange gem in addition to the thul and make it more powerful

I beg of you not to make yet another living log/gem recipe out of a perfectly fine and cheap recipe.

Pick/axe/battlespear is in a fine spot imo. Has really nice durability, you can craft it out the very tools you're typically using and makes for a really great secondary weapon so you don't have to deplete your primary dark sword/glass cutter or have a fine weapon to defend yourself with if you lose them. It fares really well as a weapon, competing with shield of terror in lasting long.

The ways it could be better includes making mining deplete less of its durability as it still depletes fast with mining and you are encouraged to use a golden pickaxe whenever you're doing a dedicated mining rather than mining ad hoc. Chopping doesn't feel like that as you can chop enough trees to get a stack or two of wood and you'll only drplete a small amount of its durability but mining rocks or marble bushes for any significant amount of minerals will really use up the tool fast.

If it could also do hammering, it'd be the perfect tool but honestly it's fine where it stands, arguably the most practically useful thing you can craft from a pseudoscience station after Starcaller and Thulecite Crown.

If pick/axe had hammer and shovel functionality, it would be perfect for ruins because of the following reasons:

- there is no more durable variant of hammer than regular one, but there are quite a few broken clockworks and pseudoscience stations, as well as one-time per world but very resource-intensive thulecite wall hammering. Pick/hammer could be such upgrade. Pick/hammer would free more than just 1 slot as well: one won't have to carry all the materials for multiple hammers (grass, twigs, rocks), which is actually 4 freed slots already, provided this multitool could be crafted from common in the ruins materials and would have decent amount of hammer uses.

- pick/shovel functionality would allow to shovel moleworm burrows that tend to accumulate across multiple ruins clearing in long-lasting worlds, and get back all the stolen loot. Axe/shovel combo would work great together as well. Would be cool if that could be repaired with thulecite fragments, but not necessary, especially considering it's durability. Moreover, even then after hammering initial walls one would have to craft thulecite walls and hammer them to convert thulecite into fragments, thus pick/axe would be still tied to pseudoscience station, even if to lower extent (or to dust moth refining process, but that is is even worse as it's tied to specific place as well, requires waiting and is highly rng dependant).

I would like recipe to include only common in the ruins materials and no other tools needed for crafting (especially need to prototype other tools should be removed: golden axe is really out of the way). My preferred recipe would be something like thulecite + nightmare fuel + gold/flint and requiring broken station to craft.

Archived