DST art style is very cute and versatile.

It super cute and really versatile is make chubby character really cute, and you can add more style to it.

Since DST style is very cute but generic you can add so much of your style in to it and make very cute character, I love seeing people add they own spin on DST style since they so much room to expand on.

I always wanted to take a shot at making my own modded character for dst. I always love the style when I first started playing ds during 2013. I would like to create bug a character, mostly likely a spider.

Always thought about making my own spider into a playable character. (I know webber exist, he is one my mains i play as) It give me a excuse to try sketching in dst style

Just now, Dr.Medic said:

i wont say dont starve art style is generic, since when was tim borton generic? or cute for that matter

Look at workshop there a lot of cute characters in it, since Tim burton was popular a lot of people try to imatate that style.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

i wont say dont starve art style is generic, since when was tim borton generic? or cute for that matter

Wdym? Tim Burton styled characters are pretty cute xD

3 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

i dont realy say that these characters are "cute" there mostly generic anime character lookin if thats what you mean whit generic

Cute is in the eye of the beholder. They're small and silly and have quirky, cartoony animations. Some people find that cute. And anime? Only if you reduce anime to like, minimal facial structure and pointy chins.

7 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

And anime?

Toon. Yeah, no clue what Medic is talking about. Both Don't Starve and ONI have a simple upa type of art(Gerald McBoingboing, Mr Magoo). Retro with a German expressionistic flavor for Don't starve. I could see these characters dropped in 1960s advertising than "anime". Unless we're talking about Gegege no Kitaro?

GeGeGe_no_Kitar%C5%8D_manga_1985_edition97f6090e7164fe0c963e4d09006fd84e.jpgkitaro-friends-1024x576.jpg

37 minutes ago, Waoling said:

What?

Beautiful, cool, tasty, funny, grim, playful, nostalgic, awe inspiring, memorable, though provoking, good quality, reassuring, curious, ever changing > cute

1 minute ago, jan Mele said:

Beautiful, cool, tasty, funny, grim, playful, nostalgic, awe inspiring, memorable, though provoking, good quality, reassuring, curious, ever changing > cute

It's still really cute for me.

Maybe the new style whereas the OG one really kept that original Tim Burtonesque feel to it. I won't say that the new style is bad, heck, it's more comprehensible, but at the same time it's been shifted to suit a younger audience setting who like mild fantasy cartoony horror which has left me with a insatiable thirst for asymmetry 

1 hour ago, Auth said:

The fact that the art style has regressed so much that people call it "Cute" now is just a very Ugh feeling

Love it or hate it the art style and general design has gone in a less grim direction and kiel didn't get the best response to when they tried darker approaches like the horror hounds and mutant pengulls. I like both styles tho i do wish they'd give more horrorfiying creatures like the horror hounds too to mix it up.

1 hour ago, Auth said:

The fact that the art style has regressed so much that people call it "Cute" now is just a very Ugh feeling

Regressed?

Have you guys never looked closely at the animations in this game from word go? The running animation alone is hilariously silly. Silly to many people is cute. Quirky to many people is cute.

Do you have any idea how much Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise is sold to women?

I wouldn't say that it's cute, rather the game has a cartoony art style, Ghosts are the classic bedsheet ghosts, the characters have exagerated aspects (just look at Wilson's hair), many mobs and the characters get X's eyes when they die, mobs that are silly portmanteaus of two things and goofy dead animations from bosses like Moose/Goose, Malbatross and the Eye of Terror; the cartoony style is something that has remained on the franchise even after many years.

5 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Love it or hate it the art style and general design has gone in a less grim direction and kiel didn't get the best response to when they tried darker approaches like the horror hounds and mutant pengulls. I like both styles tho i do wish they'd give more horrorfiying creatures like the horror hounds too to mix it up.

The only "bad response" I ever saw was a mod that just made their textures normal. If there was any major backlash it somehow slipped completely underneath my radar. 

5 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Regressed?

Have you guys never looked closely at the animations in this game from word go? The running animation alone is hilariously silly. Silly to many people is cute. Quirky to many people is cute.

Animation style doesn't necessarily mean art style. I mean visually things look a lot fuller, rounder, smoother, more generally "friendly"... and I really don't like that direction.

5 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Do you have any idea how much Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise is sold to women?

My sister's obsessed with it, so I've got a good idea of it. That being said I'm not super sure how it's relevant to what I said...

16 minutes ago, Auth said:

Animation style doesn't necessarily mean art style.

lol, what?

18 minutes ago, Auth said:

My sister's obsessed with it, so I've got a good idea of it. That being said I'm not super sure how it's relevant to what I said...

Can't even hazard a guess?

14 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

lol, what?

You cut out my entire explanation of my point, so I guess we're just caught on a misunderstanding. I mean that I'm fine with animations being silly, hell, the one man band is pretty much there just to look goofy, but I'm talking about the art and visuals themselves when I talk about the art style. The animation of recent trailers is actually really good, but the artwork itself of both in-game content and trailers is something I dislike. So. The way things are animated doesn't necessarily mean the art style, at least, in the context I was using.

17 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Can't even hazard a guess?

Yknow, I guess not.

6 hours ago, ScalesForLife said:

Maybe the new style whereas the OG one really kept that original Tim Burtonesque feel to it. I won't say that the new style is bad, heck, it's more comprehensible, but at the same time it's been shifted to suit a younger audience setting who like mild fantasy cartoony horror which has left me with a insatiable thirst for asymmetry 

If Klei wants to make a kid friendly version of DS/DST then Klei should do that as it’s own separate game that will undergo its very OWN ESRB Rating, rather than trying to change the one that’s already been rated 13+ 

In the Game “It Takes Two” at a certain point of the game you become tiny & Naked Moleworms try to eat you, you will need to crawl through the body of a dead centipede like it’s a tunnel. Not to mention the characters curse several times.

Or Spelunky 2 where you can impale your character on a pit of spikes with pools of blood, sacrifice enemy mobs to the goddess known as Kali and die in many gruesome ways.

Why am I mentioning “It takes two”? and Spelunky 2? Because they share in the same teen rating DST has.

Now because I don’t know how the ESRB rating system fully works I can’t say much else…

But I will say that to hear DSTs Art/Direction being called “Cute” leaves me with a feeling of dread for the franchises inevitable future.

It makes me sad.. honestly it feels quite heartbreaking- DS/DST was never meant to be “Cute”

Archived