Don't Starve Together on Nintendo Switch - Info and FAQs

Thank you, Klei, just picked up a copy. I'm so glad to see the game arrive on Switch and looking forward to the game getting updated to the current version. I am hoping that you'll be able to work on some of the current performance issues; it does seem markedly lower quality compared to the DS port and doesn't have as smooth of a framerate.

I can't believe I finally get to be a controller player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExulTYY said:

i dont have a switch but yay for those who do, now we can all suffer together
except for those people on mobile

edit: klei im so ******* dissapointed in you, from what ive heard this **** is only back on the WEBBER update, the performance is shitter than a toaster and you cant play online without nintendo switch online, you have a billion dollars in the bank yet you cant make a good port. good job klei, good job. and to anyone who defends them, MY ASS their a small little indie company

Oh no its 4 months behind on updates... Clearly you've never had to wait for anything in your life. As a console only player, I need to wait up to several years for stuff like Terraria updates, DLCs to games, and most games to release in general. Performance is really laggy on console too. We need to pay for online on Xbox too by the way. Anyways, you said yourself you don't have a switch, so maybe let the people who have actually played it make the criticisms.

I wish they would try to reduce lag on console but I'm sure if they haven't it's probably because they can't. Switches just aren't as powerful as consoles or computers so it obviously won't be as good.

Anyways I'm sure they'll be fixing it, remember it came out like 3 hours ago. If the this is the type of criticism they are receiving, it won't be improving anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Shopcat 1

12 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

Absolutely absurd to disallow skins in offline mode. Even EA gave up on paranoia when porting battle for neighbourville to switch in favor of a more robust offline mode. 

hasnt it been like this for 7 years and in every console port too...? i dont think its surprising or "absurd"

Just now, meow meow meow said:

hasnt it been like this for 7 years and in every console port too...? i dont think its surprising or "absurd"

One of the notable features of the switch is portability, which is undermined if you need an internet connection.

• Like 7

I have played for about 5 minutes and have encountered the following issues:

- Not on the latest update.

- it is very laggy, the mobs move slowly, the item picking animation feels long, lag compasation is on with no option to turn back and the game interupts my actions(like mining or chopping stuff) out of nowhere.

- the map is very small its almost impossible to see anything ( the DSA map was fine on nintendo switch I don't see what could have went bad there)

- you need nintendo switch online to be able to play the dlc characters ( I know this is intentional but this makes me very mad because I want to play wanda but I don't want to pay 25$ a year just to play my favourite character in don't starve).

- You cannot pause the game and there is barely any settings.

Thats it, I'm shure they are many more issues but in the state that the game is right now I'm not going to play longer to see them, I don't doupt you will fix most of this but it would have been nice if the game wasn't unfinished on release.

Edited by 123478tuhjevadf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it planned to bring LAN play to the switch version? Seems strange that if 4 people with 4 switches and 4 copies of dst want to play together they have to connect online to play instead of having adhoc/LAN play. It says it's there if you're all on the same local network but I'd like to confirm before buying more copies

How will boss hp scaling be handled with only a 4 player cap? Will there be scaling or will switch players just have to deal with tanky bosses?

Why is there no way to pause even if playing solo?

Will anyone on the team be playing the switch version themselves?

I own the game on pc and hope the switch version can be a decent way to portably play DST with family someday and not just a kind of there port that'll be forgotten and the community will just say to instead just buy it on steam deck

Thank you for your continued work on DST and I hope this version sells well!

• Like 1

• Developer
4 minutes ago, Joey9Baka said:

Why is there no way to pause even if playing solo?

Pause is coming soon - it was implemented after the release cutoff so it'll be in a later patch as switch catches up to the other platforms.

5 minutes ago, Joey9Baka said:

I own the game on pc and hope the switch version can be a decent way to portably play DST with family someday and not just a kind of there port that'll be forgotten and the community will just say to instead just buy it on steam deck

The plan is that this is a port that we actively maintain and update alongside the other console ports (though perhaps not quite same day due to the longer lead times for Nintendo).

1 minute ago, LaurenLeo said:

Is it possible for you to merge your Nintendo account with your already existing Keli account?

Coming very soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Love me some DST, so I had to get it on the huge saving, but I ran into a few issues.

The minor part being when browsing games, it lags a lot. Making scrolling through servers real slow.

And I'm not sure of it's just me, but the fighting system seems odd or delayed to where fighting a pigman was very difficult (he was somehow always out of range no matter my timing) then I went to fight a bunch of spiders and my character just started to have some sort of panic attack. He was running left and right extremely fast, and there was no way to come out of it, luckily a distant spider hit me and I got out of the loop.

These seem to be the only issues i ran into so far. I only made it to day 7.

Hopefully time will tell if things will improve. Still love DST!  But I may stick to PC for a few weeks.

Thanks for the port Klei <3

Some people are saying that it's a shame that you need internet to play the game. I thought it was just for skins? Maybe it's just people being overdramatic saying there's no point in playing without skins?

Also for those complaining about paying 25$ a year for online:

Xbox Live Gold subscriptions are $59.99 for 12 months, $24.99 for three months, and $9.99 for one month

It's over double that on Xbox. Massive scam, yes but it's the only way to play online so...

If only I had a computer powerful enough to run DST or Microsoft word... Free online for life!  Ahhhhhhhh... That's the dream!

• Sad 1

• Developer
1 hour ago, Lurabito said:

Does anyone know if there are mods for don’t starve together on Nintendo switch? Because I want to buy it but without combined status and a health bar mod, it isn’t the same. 

No mods, sorry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, Lurabito said:

Does anyone know if there are mods for don’t starve together on Nintendo switch? Because I want to buy it but without combined status and a health bar mod, it isn’t the same. 

How would you download mods onto a switch? Maybe it's possible but seeing as mods are impossible to get on any other console for literally every single game, I highly doubt it. (PS next quality of life update I would looooove some boss healthbars, you could make them toggleable for those who would inevitably complain)

Hi, I bought the game so my daughter and I could play online together on one switch, but I don’t have a Nintendo account, just her, and it won’t let us play together online. When we play any of the other games online, we’ve never had to have both of us have an account, just at least one. Like in mariokart. Is this going to change or is this a Nintendo policy? 

beyond that, we are really enjoying the game!

Hi! I tried pressing + multiple times with a second controller but can't get split screen to work, both in game and during character selection, I made sure to create a 4 player world and that both controllers were recognized on the switch's controllers menu, can someone please let me know what am I doing wrong?

Hey DEV, i was hoping adding touch screen feature for inventory choosing/using/grabbing/moving on nintendo switch since we definitely are not allowed to pause inside online server...

I never played DST on console before, i have no idea how the kitting works on console without struggle to choose healing items....

Edited by hittamm