Don't Starve Together on Nintendo Switch - Info and FAQs

• Developer
17 hours ago, minespatch said:

Give them time, nome saw your post. He's one of the devs.

It's fair for Switch users to be impatient, I just sadly don't have anything interesting to share yet. :wilson_cry:

We're still working on getting the next patch out.

• Like 2
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 3

1 hour ago, nome said:

It's fair for Switch users to be impatient, I just sadly don't have anything interesting to share yet. :wilson_cry:

We're still working on getting the next patch out.

Does the switch have hardware issues that make it harder to get patches out for it?

2 hours ago, nome said:

It's fair for Switch users to be impatient, I just sadly don't have anything interesting to share yet.

All I'm saying is that you read the post. It means that you're acknowledging this and it might takes months but it'll happen. Good luck, guys.

• Like 1

Nothing interesting to say? Just take a look at https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/switch-dont-starve-together/ tons of bugs, most of them related to crashes and lag... Two months since the last patch. Sorry but I can't understand the "nothing interesting to say", what about the state of the next patch, bugs that you are going to fix, estimated release plan... :(

Edited by WazaMonster
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, WazaMonster said:

Nothing interesting to say? Just take a look at https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/switch-dont-starve-together/ tons of bugs, most of them related to crashes and lag... Two months since the last patch. Sorry but I can't understand the "nothing interesting to say", what about the state of the next patch, bugs that you are going to fix, estimated release plan... :(

I would really love a - we identified issues with ______, but we are still working on making it stable. We fixed (lets say) Tragic Torch skin, and equipping it won't crash the game in the next patch.

We understand if you can't know when the patch will come out, but... how's it going at least? Any progress on some of the more pressing matters?

Edited by TechnicolorDatabase

• Developer
3 hours ago, TechnicolorDatabase said:

I would really love a - we identified issues with ______, but we are still working on making it stable. We fixed (lets say) Tragic Torch skin, and equipping it won't crash the game in the next patch.

As I said in a previous post, we ran out of RAM sooner than expected. This manifested as "if you do this and this and this and this and this, the game crashes" bugs - some of the outstanding bugs are existing out-of-memory bugs, but the new content resulted in even more of them because, well, more stuff == more RAM.

A bunch of RAM optimizations have already gone in. My personal favourite example (because it was relatively easy): in DST we preload the sounds into RAM so that they're ready to play at a moment's notice, because the user might have a super-slow hard drive and you don't want your sounds to play 2s after they're supposed to. But on switch it's always an SSD, so we were able to make these on-demand instead, saving a whole bunch of RAM. 

More memory optimizations (MUCH harder ones like a new allocator) are being worked on so we don't get ourselves into the same hole on the next update, while simultaneously the current build (with a bunch of bug fixes, the existing memory optimizations, and about a year of content) is scheduled to enter QA next week. What happens next depends on how QA goes. We haven't been updating people because we don't have any firm news yet.

I hope that clears things up for people!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 3

1 hour ago, nome said:

A bunch of RAM optimizations have already gone in. My personal favourite example (because it was relatively easy): in DST we preload the sounds into RAM so that they're ready to play at a moment's notice, because the user might have a super-slow hard drive and you don't want your sounds to play 2s after they're supposed to. But on switch it's always an SSD, so we were able to make these on-demand instead, saving a whole bunch of RAM. 

Would be pretty neat if pc got these Ram saving changes but understandable if switch port only has these.

1 hour ago, nome said:

As I said in a previous post, we ran out of RAM sooner than expected. This manifested as "if you do this and this and this and this and this, the game crashes" bugs - some of the outstanding bugs are existing out-of-memory bugs, but the new content resulted in even more of them because, well, more stuff == more RAM.

More memory optimizations (MUCH harder ones like a new allocator) are being worked on so we don't get ourselves into the same hole on the next update, while simultaneously the current build (with a bunch of bug fixes, the existing memory optimizations, and about a year of content) is scheduled to enter QA next week. What happens next depends on how QA goes. We haven't been updating people because we don't have any firm news yet.

Thanks, it clears a lot :)

Edited by WazaMonster

4 hours ago, nome said:

That is absolutely wonderful to hear! 

Thank you for the update and describing the current process to us. This clears a lot up and helps us a LOT. 

We appreciate your transparency with the issues, and we hope these optimizations go well in the next QA!!

(It really is a treat not getting vague copy and pastes like what people get from other companies. Keep being awesome!)

Edited by TechnicolorDatabase

2 hours ago, mamre6835 said:

Do you think that this game is worth the price, because i love watching people playing this game, but i have heard of many bugs.

Have you ever played DS/DST? If you havent then the first thing to consider is that the game is hard, it’s going to be complicated and it’s going to frustrate you until you figure things out- these types of games tend to have a very small “niche” audience of people who like them where as: Most people will decide the game isn’t for them and stop playing after trying it.. that’s not BAD.. because no game on the planet should attempt to appeal to everyone- but it does put DS/DST into a position of it needs to appeal to its targeted audience (whomever Klei feels that is.)

Secondly if you decide your into that type of game then DS and DST even before any updates have tons of content to explore and enjoy in them, I have never had so much fun with a 15$ game.. you with get your moneys worth and more.

So the TL:DR- Buy it you won’t be disappointed (unless your one of those who try it then quit because it’s too hard) It has bugs but it’s still worth the price, and Klei does their best to squash them.. (most full price 60-80$ games have more bugs that NEVER get fixed..)

7 hours ago, mamre6835 said:

Do you think that this game is worth the price, because i love watching people playing this game, but i have heard of many bugs.

Although the game has some bugs, it is absolutely worth playing. You have to take your time getting used to it mechanics and you will definitely die a lot, but in the end you will at some point be able to survive. At this point the game is great fun 

• Like 1
  • Health 1

On 7/21/2022 at 9:12 PM, mamre6835 said:

100% - If you can get it on the Computer you'll be a lot better off- it gets updates first, and has great stability and mods. The Switch version will get there, but it'll take a while. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 4:06 PM, nome said:

This is the best I've read on this forum since switch version launch.

Thanks a lot

• Big Ups 1

Twiddling my thumbs hoping we get the update in the next few weeks. Kind of sad that the most game's version is the one literally RIGHT before the changes to boats that made them so fun. With how much my playstyle is centered around the ocean, the Switch version is basically unplayable for me right now.

• Sad Dupe 2

On 8/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, sylvia wander o said:

Twiddling my thumbs hoping we get the update in the next few weeks. Kind of sad that the most game's version is the one literally RIGHT before the changes to boats that made them so fun. With how much my playstyle is centered around the ocean, the Switch version is basically unplayable for me right now.

I understand dude, I'm in the same boat quite literally and metaphorically. 

They shared the current status of the update with us, we're waiting on the quality assurance team - whom will not approve the update if they find issues. They'll notify the team if that happens, the team will fix the bugs, then send it back to QA. 

It's well on its way mate, it is only going to be a bit longer until we get our cake. (A good cake too, not that dubious looking Mushy Cake you get from lunar shrooms - which grants sleep immunity btw)

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 2

Buenas me gustaría preguntar si se va arreglar el problema en Nintendo switch

El problema es el siguiente jugar. En local con un amigo nos bota del juego sale un mensaje ,"se ha generado un error" luego se borrar días uno ya no puedo jugar es imposible se borran días de juegos por favor responderlo antes posible no me gustaría dejar de jugar soy muy fan de todos sus juegos.

3 hours ago, AkiraAdachi said:

Buenas me gustaría preguntar si se va arreglar el problema en Nintendo switch

El problema es el siguiente jugar. En local con un amigo nos bota del juego sale un mensaje ,"se ha generado un error" luego se borrar días uno ya no puedo jugar es imposible se borran días de juegos por favor responderlo antes posible no me gustaría dejar de jugar soy muy fan de todos sus juegos.

Puedes reportar el error donde dice "Bug tracker" y puede que en las futuras actualizaciones arreglen el problema.

12 minutes ago, Gods fiddler said:

idk but my don't starve together was updated some minutes ago 

maybe secret update?

that's what i thought, but i didn't get anything. if you can boot up the game right now what's your title screen look like?

Edited by sylvia wander o