Don't Starve Together on Nintendo Switch - Info and FAQs

On 4/16/2022 at 10:23 AM, Allen04 said:

Same problem here.

Bought the Game to have couch coop with friends and family...

There isnt a User available to start a couch coop.

I bought the game with my main user wich i linked to my Nintendo Account,

I got 2 more local user on my Switch, didnt working and i got my wifes user wich is linked to a different Nintendo account - not working.

Do i have to buy the game a Seconds time to play couch coop?!

Because the deal why i bought DST together was couch coop and i wont buy it twice!

Very disappointed right now, can someone pleased give input about this problem?

I see a bit of conflict here regarding the quality of the game, I'd like anyone coming to read this to know the DST Switch version is actually pretty decent. 

Please read through this if you are considering getting the game.

There are a few issues that need ironing out, oh, for sure. The lag compensation disabling needs fixing, as it adds input lag. 

The game sometimes cant handle Webber and lots of spiders, (might crash, or delete all spider followers upon closing and reopen), and doesn't have much stability for solely offline servers. 

However, the game is clearly well on its way to being great on the Switch.

I can see clearly that many Quality of life enhancments have already been added. There is lots of small things for boating that actually shouldn't be in the game yet, as the waterlogged update isn't out. However the QOL things that come with that update are already present. I could go on about small its and bits, but it makes the game feel like they care. 

Which sucks because the bugs are what everyone cares about, and they do matter, but people seem quick to say this port is bad - which it is not.

The game has great stability regarding beefalo pets, or any other pets.

But it needs a workaround for the Switch's typing system, which freezes and crashes the game if you take too long. 

Let's all remember Nintendo has some 'special' coding, that they never liked sharing openly before the Switch. 

Secondly, Nintendo has a VERY 'special' approval and update process for their games. 

So please be patient with Klei, this port isn't perfect yet. But they only did this port to bring together the community, it wasn't the smoothest launch, and are fighting the beast known as Nintendo at the same time. 

I estimate that in a month (When Nintendo processes Klei's update requests) the game should be a lot more comfortable to play :). This is Klei after all, they are one of the few companies that do put in genuine effort. 

On 4/27/2022 at 2:19 PM, Wasserollum said:

Same problem here.

I got 2 more local user on my Switch, didnt working and i got my wifes user wich is linked to a different Nintendo account - not working.

Because the deal why i bought DST together was couch coop and i wont buy it twice!

I did not have this issue at all, and i played at first - offline co-op with a secondary account with no nintendo account associated to it - then after a few days we linked an account and got it an online membership - I am not using a family membership, each account has a seperate membership status. 

I have seen in the bug reports that family nintendo account have issues for some people on there.

But my wife and I play co op a lot - only crashing if we enter caves or have 17 things happen at once while the game saves. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WazaMonster said:

Any estimated date for the next patch? :wilson_drool:

I heard nintendo patch certification took too long to be accepted, KLEI already said it the new patch already requested to nintendo. It's the godamn Nintendo man....

• Sad Dupe 2

2 hours ago, hittamm said:

I heard nintendo patch certification took too long to be accepted, KLEI already said it the new patch already requested to nintendo. It's the godamn Nintendo man....

I gotta admit although I am a huge Nintendo fan, they have absolutely no idea of how to manage these things

It has been over a Month since DST has released on Switch and Klei still hasn't said anything on updates...

I know Nintendo has bad update processes and all but.... it's starting to feel like they just dumped this game on Switch and walked away...

Klei... can you at least tell us 'something' that tells us you are working on this... Not hearing anything is disheartening to say the very least...

It is getting really frustrating "Just dealing with it" - especially since the crashing happens so often you barely get to play the game.

Imma be honest homies... Klei might not care.... and that sucks ass...

A statement from Klei saying that they are doing something above nothing is required at this point in my opinion....

Edited by TechnicolorDatabase

• Developer
13 minutes ago, TechnicolorDatabase said:

It has been over a Month since DST has released on Switch and Klei still hasn't said anything on updates...

I know Nintendo has bad update processes and all but.... it's starting to feel like they just dumped this game on Switch and walked away...

Klei... can you at least tell us 'something' that tells us you are working on this... Not hearing anything is disheartening to say the very least...

It took us a lot longer than we anticipated to get what was supposed to be a quick turnaround patch out the door. Not Nintendo's fault, all on us. It has been submitted to Nintendo now though. After that we have a content update patch which we're currently hoping to get up to the WX rework with, but details like that are subject to change obviously. 

We definitely care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/16/2022 at 12:33 PM, nome said:

It took us a lot longer than we anticipated to get what was supposed to be a quick turnaround patch out the door. Not Nintendo's fault, all on us. It has been submitted to Nintendo now though. After that we have a content update patch which we're currently hoping to get up to the WX rework with, but details like that are subject to change obviously. 

We definitely care.

This is phenomenal to hear!

I apologize if I seemed a bit emotional in my previous post. I was only really concerned with the silence the community had received on this. 

I just really enjoy the game, and I want to play it. (It is one of the very few games I play at the moment)

Having stuff go wonky or crash entirely created a stockpile of small frustrations, not knowing anything left them with nowhere to go. 

Hearing this is very relieving, thank you!

I am very excited for the patch! 

I have many skins on Don't Starve Together on Steam,

After I bought the switch version of Don't Starve Together, i connected them in MERGE AN ACCOUNT

But I found that the nintendo account I bound is not the one I usually use,

And that account doesn't even have a Nintendo membership,

I would like to know if there is a way to change the account of nintendo.

Just downloaded the new update and I’m very grateful or it. It fixed most gameplay and lag issues but it still plays a little choppy for me. For example, when I want to change camera view with L and R there is a huge fps drop and scrolling through inventory is still pretty slow. This update still did make the game a bit more smoother for me like the movement and better input response. Although  compared to my friends normal Nentindo switch, it seems that the switch lite plays a lot worse. I’ve noticed that on the normal Nentindo switch the game plays relatively smoothly with  only minor frame drops. But for me, the game is still kind of hard to enjoy because the performance isn’t  all the way smooth yet and still pretty choppy. Is there a way you can make the game run better on the switch lite?

:wilson_nerdy:

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 1:05 PM, adoudou said:

I have many skins on Don't Starve Together on Steam,

After I bought the switch version of Don't Starve Together, i connected them in MERGE AN ACCOUNT

But I found that the nintendo account I bound is not the one I usually use,

And that account doesn't even have a Nintendo membership,

I would like to know if there is a way to change the account of nintendo.

I've been posting for a week…

I know it's my mistake, Maybe it's because I'm not sensitive enough to English,

I like Don't Starve very much, I bought both Don't Starve and Don't Starve teoghter versions of steam and swicth.

I really need to link the correct Nintendo account,

For the wrong Nintendo account, I've never played with it - because that Nintendo account don't have a Nintendo membership, 

You can delete its data, or ban it from playing for a while, thats all right, but I really need to link a correct account.

i hope there is a way to change the account, otherwise I really can't play on the switch happily.

• Developer
32 minutes ago, adoudou said:

i hope there is a way to change the account, otherwise I really can't play on the switch happily.

There is not one at this time. That's why we put all the warning text in about making absolutely sure you're linking the right account before you do the link step. We are working on a way of helping people who accidentally merged the wrong accounts but be aware that it won't be a perfect solution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, nome said:

There is not one at this time. That's why we put all the warning text in about making absolutely sure you're linking the right account before you do the link step. We are working on a way of helping people who accidentally merged the wrong accounts but be aware that it won't be a perfect solution.

Thanks Reply,

At least I guess there will be a way in the future,

Im so sorry for my mistake, 

Hope that day will come soon.

On 4/27/2022 at 4:19 PM, Wasserollum said:

Same problem here.

Your console is not the primary console, so the only user with a license to use the game is the user who bought it. To let other user to join split screen both users need to have a license to use the game that means you need to: a) make that console the primary console, or b) buy again the game in the other account, preferably having this other account as principal console.

Note that this is not a Klee issue, this is because of how Nintendo manages the principal and secondary console licence of the games.

• Thanks 1

At this point, I feel their done updating. We have been more than patient considering that the base game keeps updating for other systems with events (cawnivarl) while switch users are in the dust. (Aparently there is a new update after this for non switch users. And a new hot fix update for that update. Nothing for us again)

I'm so disappointed in Klei. They blamed nintendo intially for the update being pushed back. And here were are, months away from release. My game doesn't save, along with many other problems. 

Bad company. I can't believe I considered to buy griftlands on switch. Just to be abandonded on that too. And I know its difficult, but  put more people on the project instead of making a new game and updates and forgetting us switch users.

• Sad Dupe 1

6 hours ago, TashaSalad said:

At this point, I feel their done updating. We have been more than patient considering that the base game keeps updating for other systems with events (cawnivarl) while switch users are in the dust. (Aparently there is a new update after this for non switch users. And a new hot fix update for that update. Nothing for us again)

I'm so disappointed in Klei. They blamed nintendo intially for the update being pushed back. And here were are, months away from release. My game doesn't save, along with many other problems. 

Bad company. I can't believe I considered to buy griftlands on switch. Just to be abandonded on that too. And I know its difficult, but  put more people on the project instead of making a new game and updates and forgetting us switch users.

Agreed with you the game is totally broken and I can't comprehend why Klei just abandoned this game on this platform. It feels really bad.

I wish I could ask for a refund, this is not a final game, its just an alpha version.

• Developer

We're definitely not done with switch! The current update is just stuck in QA.

When we add content to the game it increases the memory footprint, so we need to always be optimizing just to stand still. We knew this from the get-go, but unfortunately it bit us harder than expected with this update so we're having to finish memory optimizations that were planned for later releases before we can get this one out the door.

It's not Nintendo's fault, it's just what happens when you're working on a system with very limited RAM.

I can't make any promises about when each bit of content will make it to you - there's simply too many unknowns. But we're definitely not going to simply abandon the port! We're continuing to work on bringing it up to parity and we hope to have news for you soon.

The next update will NOT bring the game to parity, it's the same update I spoke about earlier (I believe it brings us up to waterlogged?) - once that's back in the QA pipeline we'll immediately start working on the following update which will add even more content (and even more optimizations to go with the content). We'll continue this process until we're caught up, and beyond as new updates come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 3
  • Potato Cup 1

On 6/25/2022 at 3:35 AM, nome said:

We're definitely not done with switch! The current update is just stuck in QA.

When we add content to the game it increases the memory footprint, so we need to always be optimizing just to stand still. We knew this from the get-go, but unfortunately it bit us harder than expected with this update so we're having to finish memory optimizations that were planned for later releases before we can get this one out the door.

It's not Nintendo's fault, it's just what happens when you're working on a system with very limited RAM.

I can't make any promises about when each bit of content will make it to you - there's simply too many unknowns. But we're definitely not going to simply abandon the port! We're continuing to work on bringing it up to parity and we hope to have news for you soon.

The next update will NOT bring the game to parity, it's the same update I spoke about earlier (I believe it brings us up to waterlogged?) - once that's back in the QA pipeline we'll immediately start working on the following update which will add even more content (and even more optimizations to go with the content). We'll continue this process until we're caught up, and beyond as new updates come.

I hope we could get to the wx78 update soon, he's new ability seems very fun to play with.

I also would love to know a set date for the next update.

Unfortunately the last update did not resolve the crashing issues, and I've been unable to play the game in peace.

I also don't want to seem impatient or rude, but I can't play the game yet... I want to - TRUST me - but it's not fun re-doing everything every second day or so. (Sometimes it crashes literally every day for 8 login attempts) I've been thoroughly discouraged from playing DST on switch, and haven't touched it since a week after the first update. (Not like I didn't try)

Can you please give us some updates on a timeframe? Also, if the game will be stable enough to play?

I just want to play the game :( Im not even asking for the new content - I just want it to be stable enough to play.

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 2