Don't Starve Together on Nintendo Switch - Info and FAQs

Don’t Starve Together launches on the Nintendo of America eShop beginning April 12 for $14.99usd and a 60% discount for owners of the original Don’t Starve on Nintendo Switch until April 26th.

Don’t Starve Together will launch on a version of the game from July 2021, just after the Webber refresh and before the Waterlogged update. (It takes a while to get a game on a new platform). 

We will be updating Don’t Starve Together on the Nintendo Switch within the next few weeks to a more recent version of the game and from that point on we will be keeping the game updated together with our other console versions.

Don’t Starve Together: Nintendo Switch Edition FAQ

Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about Don’t Starve Together on the Nintendo Switch.

GENERAL

Do I need to own Don't Starve to play Don't Starve Together?
Don't Starve Together on Nintendo Switch is a stand-alone multiplayer expansion to Don't Starve: Nintendo Switch Edition. This means that Don’t Starve Together is a separate game from Don’t Starve, and you are not required to own one to play the other. 

How many players can join/play on a server? 
We are supporting four-player client hosted servers.

How do I kick/ban players from my hosted server?
In Gameplay, pressing the [R3] button will bring up the Server menu and then the host needs to select "Player Listing", which will bring up a listing of all of the players in the server, along with buttons to allow them to "Kick" or "Ban" each of the individual players.

Do I need a Nintendo Switch Online membership to play online?
Yes, you will need an active Nintendo Switch Online membership to play online with others. If you do not have a Nintendo Switch Online membership account, you can still play the game in offline mode, though without access to your skins, items, etc.

Is crossplay with other platforms available?
At this time, there is no cross-platform play for Don’t Starve Together on any platforms. 

Can I access my purchased/unlocked skins or items when in portable mode?
Yes you will be able to access your items/skins, as long as you are connected to the internet, and logged into your Nintendo Switch Online membership account while playing in portable mode. 

Playing without an internet connection puts the game into “Offline mode”, where items/skins will not be available.

When I buy skins on my Nintendo Switch Online account, are other accounts able to access the items/skins on my console?
In-app purchases are account-bound and are not accessible on, nor tradable to other accounts.

SPLIT SCREEN

Do both players on split screen require a Nintendo Switch Online membership?
If both players wish to play the split-screen game online with other people, they will both need a Nintendo Switch Online account.

Can I play split screen without a Nintendo Switch Online membership?
Yes, the game can be played split-screen in Offline mode.

How do we play in split screen?
Players will need to have 2 controllers configured via the “Controllers” option in the Switch Home Menu. Player 1 then needs to start up the game and advance to the Main Menu. On the Main Menu, Player 2 presses the corresponding button on their controller [+] to join, and then they can play together split-screen in either online or offline worlds.

OTHER

How do I manage my Klei Account on Nintendo Switch?
Head over to accounts.klei.com and use the same Nintendo account that you use to play Don't Starve Together. 

Can I stream or make videos of Don’t Starve Together on Nintendo Switch?
You sure can! We're pretty relaxed when it comes to YouTube and Streaming (Twitch, etc.) permissions. That being said, it would be super cool if things linked to the game page on the eShop but it's not mandatory. 

You will find more info about YouTube and Streaming video stuff in our player creation guidelines.

I found a bug in Don’t Starve Together on Nintendo Switch, can you fix it?
If you think you've found a bug in Don't Starve Together, you should head over to our Bug Tracker and see if anyone else has had an issue like your own. If yes, add to the discussion! If you can't find your issue, add a new one and we'll take a look at it as soon as we can.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Spool 1
  • Big Ups 1

The game is now available on the eShop but we have not confirmed online services. Once online services have been confirmed we will update here. 

Services are now online and players should be able to login to play. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LaurahMcNugget said:

Has anyone actually managed to get into the game? I cannot get past the initial screen where it gives the option to play offline. 

Yep! We can get into the game but only in Offline mode. As of right now we can only play in Offline mode and the only co-op option available is for local play until Joe can announce when the online servers are up.

40 minutes ago, ExulTYY said:

i dont have a switch but yay for those who do, now we can all suffer together
except for those people on mobile

edit: klei im so ******* dissapointed in you, from what ive heard this **** is only back on the WEBBER update, the performance is shitter than a toaster and you cant play online without nintendo switch online, you have a billion dollars in the bank yet you cant make a good port. good job klei, good job. and to anyone who defends them, MY ASS their a small little indie company

"From what ive heard" You dont even have a nintendo switch, just shut up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

First of all, why information about 60% discount if you have Don't Stave Switch Edition wrote only forums, not in trailers, not in eShop, nowhere. I am as first idiot bought game for main account but had original don't starve on second account and now I cant save money. :'(
Secondly, why online services worked with problems at launch. I played in other online games at launch and didnt have same problems on the Nintendo Switch.

5 minutes ago, Ewas_1337 said:

First of all, why information about 60% discount if you have Don't Stave Switch Edition wrote only forums, not in trailers, not in eShop, nowhere. I am as first idiot bought game for main account but had original don't starve on second account and now I cant save money. :'(
Secondly, why online services worked with problems at launch. I played in other online games at launch and didnt have same problems on the Nintendo Switch.

We couldn't confirm the 60% discount early enough to put out the information earlier. This isn't a normal thing and not every platform allows it. 

The online services were broken because of a change requested during lot check (Nintendo certification) that effectively broke online services completely and the game was unable to be played for about 2 hours while it was sorted out. 

Just now, Salty_Trainer said:

How do I connect my existing Klei account with my Nintendo Switch account?

This will be available soon. We're hoping for this week. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ExulTYY said:
  1. i dont have a switch but yay for those who do, now we can all suffer togetherexcept for those people on mobile
  2. edit: klei im so ******* dissapointed in you, from what ive heard this **** is only back on the WEBBER update, the performance is shitter than a toaster and you cant play online without nintendo switch online, you have a billion dollars in the bank yet you cant make a good port

5a5ab3d31d47f_Arielinternalfrustration.png.7c234e5d8c237bccc0568cbd759e9ade.pngQuoi?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JoeW said:

We couldn't confirm the 60% discount early enough to put out the information earlier. This isn't a normal thing and not every platform allows it. 

The online services were broken because of a change requested during lot check (Nintendo certification) that effectively broke online services completely and the game was unable to be played for about 2 hours while it was sorted out. 

This will be available soon. We're hoping for this week. 

Thanks for answers.

• Like 1