Hamlet and shipwrecked in Dst

(Sorry, Google Translator!) Good day to all! (Do not write me about mods to add them to Dst (Tropical experience, Island Adventures) as they do not have Balance for Multiplayer, are unfinished and sometimes work as they should not.) I think a lot of people came up with the idea of shipwrecked and Hamlet appearing in Dont starve together. I think it's a great idea, Lots of content that is only available in single player at the moment, I don't mind going into Solo Dont starve sometimes and playing DLC, but why can't we get them in Multiplayer? The single player game hasn't been getting content updates for a long time, and it's mostly played because of Hamlet and Shipwrecked. I think all these guys are playing because of the DLC  image.png.a3b7c0437c89b2598a8a660f8430e9e1.png

Most new players Dont starve Start Dont starve together without even knowing about DLC content.So why don't we get these DLCs in Multiplayer? Klei already has all the content we need, we just need it in DST. I understand that it's not easy to transfer content from one game to another, since you need to increase the resolution of all textures, heaps of work with code, REBALANCE and REPLICATIONS, each character has a replica of almost every item in the game. But I and most players are willing to pay for the DLC for Dst to make this work worthwhile for Klei.

How are we going to have access to DLC worlds, you ask? For example, remember Hamlet, in the trailer it was clear that in the adventures of Wilson before the events of Dst, he visited the world of Hamlet, and he got there thanks to the Balloon!

image.thumb.png.866ed5eea75615c0cf68e2393007e2ed.png

image.thumb.png.aad347352f3ff122a5759d5b4b053720.png

so the survivors could make a Big Balloon so they could all get to the Hamlet Islands together! The host could just replace the cave server, or the main server with the Hamlet world.What about Shipwrecked? We might get something similar! For example, in the Ocean in the Ordinary World, find a transition (or create) to the Shiwprecked Islands! Thus, we would be able to transfer things and buildings from DLC to the normal world (as in solo Ds) Imagine building huge cities out of Hamlet and planting them with palm trees from Shipwrecked, all with your friends!This way we'll get a LOT of new content, Bosses and a LOT of fun! The main thing is to have a good balance.And perhaps we could get new content related to these DLCs that would be more suitable for the Multiplayer game.And since the developers have updated the crafting menu It would be convenient to move all the content there.

In general, I would really like this to become a reality, because a lot of cool content could get a new life in Dst! 

Let me know what you think about it, I'd love to hear other opinions!

And if Klei is reading this, it would be nice to hear your response! Love you!

We're not getting SW and HAM in DST because Klei only has so much time and they'd rather work on new content than spend a few years trying to port existing content.

This is on top of a host of other issues, such as how incredibly jarring it would be to magically alternate between SW and DST sailing, or how someone would even run all those shards that would be needed to do that, or all the rebalancing that would have to go into making SW and HAM suitable for multiplayer.

14 minutes ago, Mr_potto said:

(Do not write me about mods to add them to Dst (Tropical experience, Island Adventures) as they do not have Balance for Multiplayer,

bruh, one of the klei dev are literally helping with gemcore, and the rest of the creators (small team) are open to suggestions and working hard to patch bugs out. also hamlet is being talked about and has a good chance of being created/ported in the future.

i'm a person that does not like server mods but if its content from don't starve and has the klei devs blessing then its going to be good if you help.

1 minute ago, Mr.Tarunio said:

bruh, one of the klei dev are literally helping with gemcore, and the rest of the creators (small team) are open to suggestions and working hard to patch bugs out. also hamlet is being talked about and has a good chance of being created/ported in the future.

i'm a person that does not like server mods but if its content from don't starve and has the klei devs blessing then its going to be good if you help.

I love these mods, often play with them. But I think If the developers transfer the DLC officially, it will be better.

This has to be the number 1 most requested thing everyone asks for (even I begged for it when I first joined these forums) Klei knows it’s a very in demand request- I’ve even been told that if they could’ve easily ported them over they would’ve already done so.

Thing is.. & what Klei probably needs to think about most is WHY do people want these DLCs compatible with DST?

For me the answers couldn’t be more simple:

1- I recently bought hamlet back in 2019 & have yet to actually spend an extended period of time playing it because it’s SINGLE PLAYER & I can’t use any of the skins I’ve bought/earned over the years so in order to play Hamlet I have to NOT Play DST and thus.. either miss out on playing with Friends & earning skins, OR I don’t play Hamlet, instead continue to play DST with friends and skins- But not get to enjoy the DLC expansion I paid for.

2- The DLC Characters Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler & Wagstaff.

3- the new biomes, mobs, craftables & gameplay mechanics.

for example: if Klei ported over Shipwreckeds palm trees & snakes and Hamlets scorpions and put those into a new distant island somewhere- I wouldn’t want to just play SW/Hamlet but with friends that has NEVER been what I’ve wanted..

And a more accurate term to use would be “DLC COMPATIBILITY” as in: like owning those DLCs in single play DS allows you to add elements from those DLCs in your world.

As far as playing direct ports of SW/Ham? It’s never going to happen so don’t get your hopes up.

52 minutes ago, Mr_potto said:

Island Adventures as they do not have Balance for Multiplayer, are unfinished and sometimes work as they should

Ouch. On the contrary, we at Island Adventures care very much about balancing the SW DLC for multiplayer, and have pretty much all the content except characters finished and ported over. But yes, we do have occasional issues we have to fix.

But back on topic, yes I would like to eventually see some more official implementation of the Shipwrecked or Hamlet DLC into DST, as much of a pipe dream as it is. From what I heard in the past Klei didn't want to port it because it would split the community? But I don't see the harm in making it so people who own these DLCs can generate those worlds, and those without the DLC can still join and play, but can't host their own world, the first example that comes to mind is the Risk of Rain 2: Survivors of the Void DLC where the host can enable this DLC content and drag their friends who don't own it along for the ride.

But on the contrary, I don't see this happening. From the looks of it, Klei's been borrowing bits and bobs from their SW/Ham content and revising it in a new way that fits DST (ex. Warly + Wormwood, sailing rework, crock pot foods, Hamlet's rainforest overlay for mangroves, even a few of Celestial Champion's moves remind me of Hamlet's Iron Hulk, etc.). All the while they're mainly focusing on new content.
So unfortunately, I feel DST as a whole's moved too far in a different direction to consider officially porting SW and Hamlet over in a way that properly fits in with how DST plays today, swapping between two separate sailing mechanics with both RoT and SW would feel super weird I feel.

8 minutes ago, GuyNamedChris said:

Ouch. On the contrary, we at Island Adventures care very much about balancing the SW DLC for multiplayer, and have pretty much all the content except characters finished and ported over. But yes, we do have occasional issues we have to fix.

But back on topic, yes I would like to eventually see some more official implementation of the Shipwrecked or Hamlet DLC into DST, as much of a pipe dream as it is. From what I heard in the past Klei didn't want to port it because it would split the community? But I don't see the harm in making it so people who own these DLCs can generate those worlds, and those without the DLC can still join and play, but can't host their own world, the first example that comes to mind is the Risk of Rain 2: Survivors of the Void DLC where the host can enable this DLC content and drag their friends who don't own it along for the ride.

But on the contrary, I don't see this happening. From the looks of it, Klei's been borrowing bits and bobs from their SW/Ham content and revising it in a new way that fits DST (ex. Warly + Wormwood, sailing rework, crock pot foods, Hamlet's rainforest overlay for mangroves, even a few of Celestial Champion's moves remind me of Hamlet's Iron Hulk, etc.). All the while they're mainly focusing on new content.
So unfortunately, I feel DST as a whole's moved too far in a different direction to consider officially porting SW and Hamlet over in a way that properly fits in with how DST plays today, swapping between two separate sailing mechanics with both RoT and SW would feel super weird I feel.

oh my god I didn't see you just a couple of days ago Updated and finished ALL the content from Sw, last time I didn't see Quacken and Volcano there! Thank you guys!

Do you plan to do Hamlet in the future? Your shipwreck mod works Soooo fine (I checked it before the update with the Quarry and Volcano) I would like to see something similar but with Hamlet.

I'd be more concerned on how they balance it out lore-wise rather than the technical implications, since Island Adventures has essentially shown that multi-shard servers with other content is possible. Lore is not exactly the strong point in SW (and a bit of Hamlet too).

I can only repeat what Chris said about Island Adventures. It's a pretty sick mod, I'm loving it! It's 98% true shipwrecked in DST. Me and my friends were having a blast with it in the past couple days.

That would defeat the purpose of a DLC to have them in the main game, besides it would also defeat their unique atmosphere; Maybe a local multiplayer sort of option for the DLC would be okay, but to have them in DST is a no.

4 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

That would defeat the purpose of a DLC to have them in the main game, besides it would also defeat their unique atmosphere; Maybe a local multiplayer sort of option for the DLC would be okay, but to have them in DST is a no.

Why?

I own every content released for DS/DST.

When you select a world to host in solo DS, you can choose rather that world is a Classic DS world (RoG Disabled) A Reign of Giants World, A Shipwrecked World, or a Hamlet World.

It would work identical to this in DST??

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why?

I own every content released for DS/DST.

When you select a world to host in solo DS, you can choose rather that world is a Classic DS world (RoG Disabled) A Reign of Giants World, A Shipwrecked World, or a Hamlet World.

It would work identical to this in DST??

I mean If you own DST only, and have all content of Hamlet and Shipwrecked, or must of in it, would would you pay again for them to have a solo game of it? Simply adding anything related to these DLC in DST is a self sabotage for Devs.

7 minutes ago, Chesmu said:

I mean If you own DST only, and have all content of Hamlet and Shipwrecked, or must of in it, would would you pay again for them to have a solo game of it? Simply adding anything related to these DLC in DST is a self sabotage for Devs.

Not really, no.. because- It SHOULD work identical to Minecraft DLC, (As in only the host needs to own the DLC but anyone can join and play it with them rather they own or don’t own it themselves.)

The entire reason Return of Them wasn’t a paid DLC expansion (devs even admitted this themselves) is because they did not want to separate their fanbase between who has/doesn’t have DLC’s.

However: If your on PC you can play several mods that add that DLC content I paid for into your DST for Free, rather you own the DLCs or not. 

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not really, no.. because- It SHOULD work identical to Minecraft DLC, (As in only the host needs to own the DLC but anyone can join and play it with them rather they own or don’t own it themselves.)

The entire reason Return of Them wasn’t a paid DLC expansion (devs even admitted this themselves) is because they did not want to separate their fanbase between who has/doesn’t have DLC’s.

However: If your on PC you can play several mods that add that DLC content I paid for into your DST for Free, rather you own the DLCs or not. 

Well there, that means less buyers for for DLC, but it does help the community aspect, so it becomes neutral I think.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:02 AM, Frosty_Mentos said:

Hamlet/SW thread #425

To be fair about that, the biomes, mobs and gameplay mechanics for those DLCs are new and fun content, the DLC’s also brought in more difficulty with things like Poison damage, surprise mob encounters, new weather seasons etc.. 

Just porting over stuff from SW/Ham would make DST a more difficult game- So I can certainly see why a lot of people ask for this all the time..

And that’s probably something Klei should consider as well, we got DST turning into whatever their trying to turn it into Sandbox farming simulator or whatever.. When their most requested thing players ask for is the additional difficulty of the two (in my opinion) significantly Harder than the base game expansions…

Shouldn’t that alone set off a few bells in someone’s head?

The reason why this is such a big issue is because DST keeps getting content updates and it left Don't starve game so far behind, its not just skins but even that is a part of it, whenever i go back to play DS i feel like im missing so much that it just ruins my experience but i put up with it because of the DLCs. DST will keep getting more and more ahead of DS that it won't feel like it is worth playing it.

With the sea content made for DST, you all can be sure that DLCs will never be ported as there would be no point in porting SW when they already made completely different experience and mechanics in DST.

While i can be sure that almost all of us want to see DLCs ported, it won't work on DST because of how many shards you need to run, it would go from anyone being able to run and play to only high end PCs, don't even expect to run it on consoles without some lag with all DLCs and caves.

That's one of the reasons klei decided to just start new sea related content, to satisfy some of the SW players even though not everyone will ever be satisfied unless it is a complete port.

Now when it comes to hamlet, i would like to see is some parts/version of it made for DST, like how we have sea content instead of SW. It will never be a full port but they can pick and choose what can fit in DST and more importantly it needs to be able to run smoothly on the surface world and it won't be a separate shard.

I really think that pigs could have some work done for them, maybe we shouldn't be able to build towns but having some small city in the game with pig king. I think shops would mess with the game too much as they would set value to items, while this could improve DST experience because not everyone can get some item when there is a lot of people on the server it could also make items have less worth or static, so maybe have prices be randomized when generating world within some ranges.

DST could benefit from having some sort of currency that everyone can use.

Also having your own house like in hamlet would be great, especially in multiplayer if for example you can lock it so only you can enter. This could really improve experience of public servers and at least partially stop griefers.

These are just examples but there are many options from hamlet content that could be taken and implemented in DST, to satisfy that itch that we have when we want to play hamlet.

1 hour ago, 1bubbainpa said:

especially hamlet with how shards work.

why? Isn't hamlet just 1 world?

Side note: If Klei were to port hamlet I hope they add all the scrapped content. Looking at the cut content page on the dont starve wiki for hamlet is really sad, there was a cyber pig at one point who looked like he would sell lazer guns or something to be like hamlet ruins gear.

I keep saying this, and until some amazing mod creator actually see it and puts it to the test I will keep saying it..

DST only ever runs two shards: Surface/Caves

These even have very weird sounding names such as Standard Forest, or The Caves..

Why would the game EVER need to run more then two shards? Why not instead we just swap Standard Forest with SW Archipelago & The Caves with Hamlet Temples?

Even in Solo DS if you own the DLCs you can’t play ALL of them at the same time.. you had to PICK to play the game as DS, DS RoG, DS Shipwrecked or DS Hamlet.. and you couldn’t enable Hamlet if SW was on or Vice versa.

I keep hearing so many people say these DLCs won’t ever be compatible with DST because it would undo all the work Klei has put into the current updates to dst.. this is false-

If you want to get technical.. 

Return of Them & Shipwrecked mechanics can co-exist.. by simply having the player choose prior to creating a world if they want that world to generate with Regular default RoT style biomes & content.. or SW version.

I’ll even do you one better than that- Klei could even add in a “Classic” setting as a server shard which reverses all the content updates they have done (reworks, overhauls, sailable sea) and let you play the original Classic version of DST back when it was still just a cardboard cut out sea.

These DLCs don’t have to be wildly thrown into current DST (though there’s many examples where content from those DLCs could be borrowed such as PALM TREES IN THE OASIS BIOME!!) They would probably be handled exactly as they are in Solo DS- As in… each one being a different setting you can toggle prior to world Gen.

Archived