The Walter thread strikes...

Questionably unnecessary poll.  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Walter...my...boy.

• ..my...precious...child.
    • ..you..always..dissapointed....me.

BogusForsakenAsianlion-size_restricted.gif.9e17651f77db1e08d1dd81c042d5057e.gif

The poll literally means nothing.

I wish to discuss Walter since he appears to be on the lower end of appreciated characters like Warly, Winona, and Wurt.

But he's the one that actually interests me for his playstyle and the general opinion on him.

Since I'm not an avid Walter player I'll just speak about what I enjoy about his kit.

Sanity mechanics

Spoiler

Walter is "fearless" because he isn't aware of the actual "danger" he is in until it takes a bite out of him.

I love how this correlates into gameplay with Walter ignoring most sanity draining auras in the game.  Only for him to absolutely lose his mind once he gets hurt, and to keep worrying if he's injured.  It really makes you feel like the kid just got a cold taste of the "reality" he resides in...

His lack of fashion sense though is pretty funny to me, since he doesn't care about appearances everything is strictly for "function"

I miss wearing Tam's and helmets as Walter though. But his boy scout hat is practically essential so body armour and good protection against the elements ends up being far more valuable for maintaining his sanity than any "passive" Regen.

I'm actually a fan of the bunny bedroll, I don't mind sleeping if I see the easy recovery is worth the time.

So the portable bedroll is great to me with its extra usages. And since it acts like a tent I also get to ignore all my teammates getting "mauled" as I sleep in safety.

Pine tree sanity passive, I like it. It's cute, it's just kinda there so I like to decorate my camp with trees as Walter. But it doesn't really make or break anything.

Camp fire stories. I love this small mechanic it's so "useless" and "annoying" but just like passing along "speedy balloons" it still warms my heart atleast you're trying to help and it's the "thought" that matters the most to me.  Plus it's the one of the few easy passive sanity auras Walter can gain, aside from his love of trees.

And it cost nothing but your irl sanity, and maybe ear drums lol.

Sling shot

Spoiler

Ranged tool is cool.

I don't combat with this thing much. But I sure love spamming it and using it to engage.

Everything that's a small mob is gonna get sniped immediately.

Things that run away. No problem.

Freeze rounds for bishops, walrus and uneven fights.

But aside from that I haven't really messed with it all to much. I'd still much rather just use a melee weapon or get a beefalo than try to do long combat with it cause then it wears my patience out.

Not gonna lie though whenever I use it I always just think of this guy.sp2lly7wefg51.png.a9eab5fb31e76e747003eb40857c6282.pngand it puts a smile on my face.

Makes me wish for exploding rounds now.

Or damage over time rounds.

Woby

Spoiler

Woby is a dog. I love dogs...

Woby is like chester... I love chester.

Woby can transform. Wolfgang can transform.... (obligatory Wolfgang reference) I love Wolfgang.

I don't know what to say.... I just like that Walter has woby and vice versa.

Constant companionship, an easy ride for transport, free storage. 

I don't play Walter alot though, and when I do choose him it's probably the most "casual" I ever play.... But I still have alot of fun.

I don't know what "I" would change to make him better but I definitely don't think he's bad.

He is however very punishing imo.

His bee allergy makes no sense to me also as his other downside, and since the damage goes though armor as well it's a big oof.

I very much enjoy his design and how that transitions into his gameplay I think it's very clever and thought out.

That's all. So now I wonder..... Where are all the Walter mains?spongebob-meme-looking-around.thumb.gif.f197ca2b8b9b63aa5e406b6faedd4675.gif

Spoiler

563759250_giphy(2).gif.c9fe496c5c35398a26d20036fd7c6177.gif

4 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Where are all the Walter mains?

hi. : )

I play him but I don't really main anyone, I never liked the idea of playing a single character for all my time so I just bounce around characters.
Anyways I have some problems with Walter uhhh, poop pellets aren't great, because they still trigger 'herd mechanics'(When all mobs of a species aggro on something that attacked one of their kind). I'd really like to use it but in most instances I need it it's when Im dealing with multiples, I'd love to pelt that annoying spider who happened to aggro onto me, and while theyll lose agro, all the other spiders will aggro on to me :/. I played juggling with two grass gators because I just kept shooting one and the other would aggro, shoot again and the original one would aggro. If poop pellets didn't trigger this mechanic I would love it, would especially be interested in using poop pellets to harvest sea weeds during the day without a razor if this was implemented.

Slowdown rounds need a bit more piz-zaz imo. Wanda's quote implies that his slowdown rounds actually mess with the timeline, so hey let's push on that, make the slowdown rounds not only slow mobs, but also slow their attack periods and animations, I did this in a mod just as a quick test and ran through a bit of the game with it and I genuinely loved messing with it a lot, it did throw me off at times because ya don't usually fight slowed down mobs like that.

I think more slingshot ammo would be cool.

I think more scout-type crafts like the tent would be cool too, trap type weapons are a genre of weapon really under-utilised and not talked about at all in DS/T, and traps and scouts kinda go together, so Walter expanding on traps could be pretty neat.

I really enjoyed my time playing Walter.  The sanity mechanic is very fun.  If you're doing well, sanity is no problem at all.  Mess up once and it all changes lol.  It feels very rewarding to kite a boss like Deerclops who would normally bomb anyone's sanity.  Its also very fun to spam his camp fire stories all night whenever anyone else is within ear shot.  When I'm in voice chat I'll relentlessly read them to everyone too.  He's just the right kinda nerdy character.

I moved on mostly because I generally rotate through the cast, often returning to Willow or Wes for a bit before picking a new flavor.  Right now I'm on a pretty big Warly binge.  But I would definitely rate Walter as one of my favorites both for his engaging mechanics and flavor.  If his slingshot were only a bit better... his play style would change enough to make him a real winner for full time play but since I ended up defaulting to standard weapons for most combat while the slingshot just sat there in the inventory... eh...

Anyway I give him a 9/10 for design.  Love him!

8 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Jk right? 

Warly is great, but if I didn't mention him I would be crucified probably...

Spoiler

Also he still part of the "low player use" characters.

Wormwood is there too but eh.... I can't do it all here OHAN.

I need someone else to do it :)

Bruh I added the disappointment part of the poll as a joke and it overtook calling him precious.

Spoiler

300px-Spooky_Skeleton.jpg.cef8e737ad73bfb4c57e31875b4f0c1d.jpg

Walter is cool and I acknowledge his strengths but I don't really play him.

43 minutes ago, Hornete said:

make the slowdown rounds not only slow mobs, but also slow their attack periods and animations, I did this in a mod just as a quick test and ran through a bit of the game with it and I genuinely loved messing with it a lot, it did throw me off at times because ya don't usually fight slowed down mobs like that.

Would be annoying in multiplayer to have somebody keep changing the timings of dodging. I haven't played with it in a mod like you have but I assume if you know how the fights go it would make it harder.

Maybe the slowdown rounds could explode on contact slowing in an AoE so they're good at running away from things like shadow splumonkeys.

Just now, Cheggf said:

Would be annoying in multiplayer to have somebody keep changing the timings of dodging. I haven't played with it in a mod like you have but I assume if you know how the fights go it would make it harder.

If I were to keep going with it, I would have personally added a visual indicator, like the indicators for debuffs in Forge.

12 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Does Walter using his slingshot while someone else is kiting ruin their kite?

I never tried to actively "support" others with it.

It shouldn't, the slingshot doesn't pull aggro if the target is attacking something else.

21 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Where are all the Walter mains?

Present.

And, as opposed to previous posters, am indeed a full-time Walter main now (used to co-main him with Willow, but for the moment Pyro-girl lost her appeal to me in light of what I can generally do via Walter's play-kit). Plus I don't leisurely camp my stories around communal base, shooting butterflies and dance-emoting on Woby beside some flower field as I see most Walter-amateurs out there in pubs spending their short session before an untimely demise over Shadows as it often happens. I nomad, frequently with a "boat-base" for dumping loot and cruise between places in short bursts. Regarding his perks collection I consider Pebbles, Poop pellets, Slow Down Rounds largely ignorable, same as Pioneer Hat, sanity from tree agglomerations, and Campfire stories (outside annoying meme moments, mind you) - efficiency-wise from my nomad play-style perspective at least. Yet I see very useful his fearlessness bon in general dealing with insanity-aura mobs & bosses (if not tanking/being hit repeatedly), cooking food over fire faster and being able to use Willow's Lighter to cook on-the-go. Camper's Tent? Contextually good, but broadly I don't default to the Sleeping mechanic, almost at all. And now the meat of it all: dealing with all bosses via his Marble, Gold, Freeze Pellets and Cursed Rounds. I'm the type of Walter that's patient. Very patient, and even more sneaky. I can Slingshot "walk to death" Klaus from one side of Constant, where his Sack spawns, to the other while it can't do anything in reverse, no armor required, easy Stag Antler in the proverbial bag. A Boat platform, Cursed Rounds, and the story of a dead tier 3 Shadow Knight, no armor required as well (aside dealing with the other 2 lesser counterparts)? Certainly! Ruins rush? Sure, 2 Football Helmets and 1 Marble Suit when facing off Damaged Chess Pieces crowded close-together. Plus Glow Berries (to stack one's armor, durability purpose, and not rely on Lantern). Tank and sank that Sanity away, and Nightmare Fuel will come in droves - just have a quick-swap Log Armor too, early on. Then 2 Thulecite Crowns and 1 Thulecite Suit will sustain my armor needs for long-long time (+ a Lazy Explorer, Lazy Forager, and 1 Starcaller Staff). Coming back from Ruins with 4-5 stacks of Cursed Rounds, and 1 of Frazzled Wires is my default. Want even more Gold? Walter excels at that through simple Birds-and-Krampus farm with penned bait, a Feather Hat, Friendly Scarecrow, and some Boat platform on shore nearby. Self-sustained Gold economy by the grace of Pig King. 30 Marble, 2 Lure Bulbs, 1 use of Lazy Explorer and voila: easy Bone Helm & Armor! Some Marble/Gold rounds, 1 Dark Sword, said Bone Armor (and a Thule Crown), 3 stacks of Gun Powder (from mentioned Krampus Farm plus a Misshapen Bird, Nitre comes even easier if one spends large amounts of time in Caves, as I do), 20 Freeze pellets: hello Enlightened Crown! Toadstool you ask? Got it covered: Fossils, Freeze Rounds, Ham Bat, lots of F-pressing and occasional use of Moon Glass Axes. Bee Queen?! Tamed Beef is your friend, Cursed Rounds as icing on the fight's cake. And so on. I like Walter very much, but probably for all the wrong reasons. He can do a lot in a fun, alternative manner for those who enjoy such shenanigans. Certainly I would fancy if his Slingshot's fire-rate would be slightly increased - not a must, though, in my book. I don't consider him sub-par at all. If anything a niche easy mode in the hands of experienced players. For bulk player-base (newbies/noobs/casuals)? Stay way from him, very likely will be your "6 feet under" ticket. Cheers!

I play dst in good faith so, every now and then i always try to pick a character i don't play much (like Walter). But then in practice, at the character selection screen, I just come to my senses and end up pondering over the awfulness of the slingshot (CUZ ITS SOOO SLOW) and proceed to choose another character.

Well at least that's my experience with Walter.

Give this good boi a chance Klei, please :) Buff the slingshot :).

I'm a wicker main who occasionally plays Wanda and Woodie, but I will be honest and that I've never had more fun then Walter, like c'mon, Klei had no right putting all the funny stuff into Walter, like wth? Sure you can troll a friend by activating a backtrek watch which instead of sending them back to base it sends them to the ruins, or summon a billion tentacles into the base dying in the process, or turning into a goose and doing funny things, but acting like Bear Grylls? Nothing can top that.

Yes I know most of this has nothing to do with Walter themselves but instead the ways one can use a characters perks for comedic purposes, but I play the game for "fun" and Walter; is funni.

16 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

is really fun in multiplayer

i still hope they will change how the slingshot works so the magic rounds arent almost pointless or how the mechanic is basically press F instead of something more interesting

20 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

That's all. So now I wonder..... Where are all the Walter mains?

Hornet and Grim, the are the only Walter mains I know. I used to main him myself but I found it extremely irritating after a while due to his sanity mechanic. Frankly, I'm not good enough to never take damage and thus I decided to just go back to playing characters I can always enjoy like Maxwell

21 hours ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

In past it use to take aggro and indeed disrupt fights in multi if people didn't want Walter to do that, or he did so at the wrong moment. It was changed by a relative recent update (forgot which precise one), and now, if target doesn't lose aggro on its own (by account of other players engaged in combat running too far), you will solely support additional damage without disrupting your fellow party members doing melee.

I've been requesting for most of these changes since his release:

• Add AOE to magic pellets
  • Make poop pellets ignore herd mechanics
  • Increase rate of fire of the slingshot.

Optional changes I've been thinking about:

• New ammo types, like salt rounds that blind enemies temporally.
  • Allow us to add modifiers to rounds, like adding hounds teeth to most damaging rounds for extra damage, or coating them in red cap that adds damage over time to them
  • Allow Walter to have a special RMB shot. Maybe a "well timed shot" that takes much longer to shoot, but deals more damage, has more range and knockbacks the enemies a bit.

You guys got any Walter tips/tricks, I know you could stack the sanity buffs like reading storys/camping tent near the trees

pepples is only good at drawing agro like grass gadors, volt goats, krampus

poop pellets feed them to snardles for slime >>> blow up marble

The slingshot needs a slight buff as a basic spear is cheaper, more overall damage and at a faster rate (faster rate of fire would be nice)

Archived