maxwell rework ideas?

Since Maxwell is with the other survivors for some time now, I think he should have a way to give buffs for the other players, maybe more damage dealt or less taken. Something similar to what happened to Wolfgang in his video. 

• No sanity drain from using magic items.
  • Codex Umbra can manipulate the fabric of the Constant and open wormholes for fast travel.
  • A mechanism that rewards him with high damage to offset his very low max HP.
  • A unique weapon that reflects his mastery over nightmare fuel. And/or better proficiency with a dark sword since that was part of his spawn inventory in DS:A.

You know, abilities that reflect his fantasy of being a shadow magician and former king of the constant, that sorta thing.  

20 minutes ago, Ohan said:
  • No sanity drain from using magic items.
  • Codex Umbra can manipulate the fabric of the Constant and open wormholes for fast travel.
  • A mechanism that rewards him with high damage to offset his very low max HP.
  • A unique weapon that reflects his mastery over nightmare fuel. And/or better proficiency with a dark sword since that was part of his spawn inventory in DS:A.

You know, abilities that reflect his fantasy of being a shadow magician and former king of the constant, that sorta thing.  

Is that sarcasm or you really want Maxwell to be Wanda? 

3 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

i mean, it is kinda sad that wanda came out of nowhere and is somehow stronger whit shadow stuff then the former king himself

Fr fr. Coming up with ideas for Maxwell might take some pages from Wanda but that's fine with me.  They can share traits somewhat and still be different enough.

I think he just needs a buff with his combat summons. Far fetched but I thought it would be cool that he could upgrade his codex at the ancient pseudoscience station which would allow him to craft crawling horrors and terrorbeaks for 5 nightmarefuel that would fight for him. I'll just take any buff to his combat minions.

I also think he just needs more interactions with magic items, specifically dark sword and night armor. Less sanity loss or more durability with them, just something. Killing two birds with one stone, they could make it so that if Maxwell has a dark sword and/or night armor equipped, his shadow minions will gain their damage/armor.

1 hour ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

They can share traits somewhat and still be different enough.

sharing traits or archetypes is fine as long as they’re shaped by a fantasy unique to each character. Like Wurt employs merms to chop trees while Woodie is a werebeaver lumberjack. Both gatherers but extremely different identities. 

with Maxwell/Wanda its the other way around where they r different archetypes but Wanda completely co-opted Maxwell’s identity as a nightmare fuel/shadow magician. And to make matters worse she fulfills that fantasy better than he does. This is unprecedented.

Maxwell is the most iconic character in the game (probably tied with Wilson), he didn’t deserve this :crushed:

how could they give immunity to sanity drain from magic items and better proficiency with a dark sword to anyone other than Maxwell, the magician character who sat on the nightmare throne? Wanda has her time traveling clockmaker identity why did she need this as well? It’s so odd to me. 

they seriously need to blow his refresh out of the water. 

11 minutes ago, Ohan said:

As much as I love Wanda, she makes me scared and happy for Maxwells refresh.

Happy because Klei proved they can do some nuts stuff with good ol shadow magic for a character.

Scared because I dont know if Maxwell will live up to Wanda's design.

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

sharing traits or archetypes is fine as long as they’re shaped by a fantasy unique to each character. Like Wurt employs merms to chop trees while Woodie is a werebeaver lumberjack. Both gatherers but extremely different identities. 

with Maxwell/Wanda its the other way around where they r different archetypes but Wanda completely co-opted Maxwell’s identity as a nightmare fuel/shadow magician. And to make matters worse she fulfills that fantasy better than he does. This is unprecedented.

Maxwell is the most iconic character in the game (probably tied with Wilson), he didn’t deserve this :crushed:

how could they give immunity to sanity drain from magic items and better proficiency with a dark sword to anyone other than Maxwell, the magician character who sat on the nightmare throne? Wanda has her time traveling clockmaker identity why did she need this as well? It’s so odd to me. 

What if they just made Maxwell get everything that Wanda's old age has in regards to magic items, except maybe the damage? That plus his passive sanity gain and his minions would make him a pretty balanced character I'd imagine. Maybe also give the codex some other uses besides being just a crafting station. Maybe some shadow spells or something, I dunno

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

As much as I love Wanda, she makes me scared and happy for Maxwells refresh.

Happy because Klei proved they can do some nuts stuff with good ol shadow magic for a character.

Scared because I dont know if Maxwell will live up to Wanda's design.

right? its so hard to keep the level when they set the bar that high

I'd like if he got a few of Wanda's perks, lost the requirement of having the flint tools for his summons (main problem with duelists is you have to lug around a bunch of rope, twigs, and flint and do 2 craft animations for 1 duelist), could craft without dropping his book, and maybe got 1-4 things he can do other than summon harvesters and duelists.

But most importantly I want him to get a cool summoning animation for using his book instead of the generic work one.

My friend and I discuss ideas for a Maxwell refresh quite a bit and we have a some ideas that we like.

Pros:
1. Maxwell's shadow duelists should be invulnerable to all types of enemies barring Greater Gestalts/Celestial Champion (more on the moon later). To balance this out, Maxwell has to be actively engaged with an enemy for the duelists to attack. If Maxwell goes a certain amount of time without dealing damage they will deaggro and return to Maxwell's side.
2. The Stagehand could be used to buff Maxwell's magic in some way. It could either be a crafting station or give Maxwell a magic buff while nearby.
3. Maxwell needs an overall magic buff, Wes should not be a better spell caster than Maxwell. Maxwell should get a durability buff to Ice/Fire Staff usages and possibly get unique spells that only he can use. For example, with a Fire Staff Maxwell could cast a damaging fireball in addition to the short damage over time you normally get, or his fire only effects enemies and doesn't spread to items/structures (unless actively targeted).
4. Give the poor man his 20 sanity/min regen back. One of his gimmicks in DS was that he had half the health of a normal character but essentially removed the sanity meter. In DST this can be a blessing and a curse, while having high sanity is always nice, it makes it hard to deal with the lunar areas. This leads me into...

Cons:
1. Lunar magic. I'm sure the moon wouldn't play nice with the former "Shadow King". We see in Cyclum  that while Maxwell's ability to control shadow magic is pitiful, he still has shadow magic within him. Greater Gestalts could attack Maxwell by default (but with a FAR smaller aggro range than normal, it's annoying enough to stroll through the grotto as it is). Lunar items could function slightly worse for Maxwell as well, Glass Axes wouldn't be as efficient, Glass Cutters wouldn't have the bonus durability to shadows, etc.
2. 20 sanity/min would make doing lunar activities harder without having shadow followers, it would also make gathering nightmare fuel a bit harder.

Other:
1. All survivors that were brought in by Maxwell gain 5 sanity for punching him when PVP is on (Except for Wes, he's too pure for that).
2. Maxwell can now finish his thoughts and no longer trails off when discussing key lore details (It couldn't be...).

Of course we're not game devs, for all we know some of this could be absolutely game breaking somehow. But Maxwell is just such a cool character conceptually and lorewise, it's saddening to see his current state in DST. Hopefully the refresh delivers some much needed love to our love deprived egomaniac.
Oh and don't get us started on the refresh trailer oh my GOD there's so much they could do there. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

What if they just made Maxwell get everything that Wanda's old age has in regards to magic items

This feels like a must. Maxwell deserves to have this or some similarly powerful magic tab related perk.. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

except maybe the damage?

I still think it suits Maxwell more to be better at using a dark sword since he spawns with one in DSA and his duelists carry them. Besides this perk is completely wasted on Wanda anyway. With the way they tuned Alarming clock there’s zero reason to use dark swords as wanda other than as a challenge since the AC is unquestionably the best weapon in the game. 

that being said, i agree it would be more interesting to focus Maxwell’s shadowy combat prowess into his duelists since his puppets are what make him unique. Besides unless they go completely bonkers he will never be able to compete with Wanda carrying an AC when it comes to direct combat. His combat power should be expressed through actually good duelists. 

6 minutes ago, Ohan said:

This feels like a must. Maxwell deserves to have this or some similarly powerful magic tab related perk.. 

I still think it suits Maxwell more to be better at using a dark sword since he spawns with one in DSA and his duelists carry them. Besides this perk is completely wasted on Wanda anyway. With the way they tuned Alarming clock there’s zero reason to use dark swords as wanda other than as a challenge since the AC is unquestionably the best weapon in the game. 

that being said, i agree it would be more interesting to focus Maxwell’s shadowy combat prowess into his duelists since his puppets are what make him unique. Besides unless they go completely bonkers he will never be able to compete with Wanda carrying an AC when it comes to direct combat. His combat power should be expressed through actually good duelists. 

What if Maxwell got his minion ability from the forge in some way when using a dark sword? Tweak the numbers and maybe allow it to happen more frequently since is melee damage.

maxwell can have different perks than wanda and still being a cool shadow master character.

Why limiting shadow magic to max? we have seen that klei can create a cool character which uses shadow magic in her weapon, reduced sanity drain from using magic and time traveling perks while max can get better summoning, things like magic being more effective (instead of getting the same reduced sanity drain as wanda which isnt need since he has sanity reg) or any other cool shadow related stuff

I like some of the suggestions here for better combat ability, although i feel like we should try for a different combat angle than a straight damage boost. Perhaps give him a %chance to spawn shadow tentacles/minions when attacking anything, stacking with the thulecite club. 

I'd also like to see some QoL improvements for his codex. It feels awkward to have a crafting station in your inventory that you have to drop on the ground. I always lose my books because i made puppets and forgot to pick it up. Maybe make it equippable instead? 

Also, would be cool if they added more synergy between max/wicker/wanda. Like max being able to use the alarming clock, or "saving" the last read nearby wicker book that he can recast from his codex.

12 minutes ago, shiguld said:

I'd also like to see some QoL improvements for his codex. It feels awkward to have a crafting station in your inventory that you have to drop on the ground. I always lose my books because i made puppets and forgot to pick it up. Maybe make it equippable instead? 

I expect them to give it the Wes & Pile O' Balloons treatment, where the Codex will be a crafting ingredient in all his recipes, but not actually consume the item upon crafting. Without it, the only thing that Maxwell is able to craft from that tab is the Codex itself.

instead of swords his fighter shadows just punch people like really fast, and im just throwing out ideas here, but maybe they could say a voice line each time they punch, and maybe they could taunt enemies by saying things like "you're walking towards me? approach me as you wish"

Archived