Should wanda be nerfed?

Should wanda be nerfed?  

265 members have voted

1. 1. After all this time, do you think wanda should be nerfed?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have Wanda
    • Wanda should be buffed

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/22/22 at 05:22 PM

all what people talk about is damage, like all the time, more damage = OP, and people love to ignore everything else she has

step back watch for easy kite
wormhole on the go
team wormhole on the go
a resurrection tool that never breaks if used like telltale heart, even on other wandas
dies whit the inventory on
if wanda is resurected whit a heart, she will not have black hp or time like the other characters
resurrect others whit watch dont make them have black hp

so in total i would say maybe some sort of nerf?

26 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Too late now.

To think this is already the ‘nerfed’ iteration after they released her with alarming clock hitting for ridiculous damage on 0% fuel lol..

Empty alarming clocks deal same damage as tail o' three cats but also infinite, so it's not really that big nerf lol

I would say she is probably the strongest character by quite a lot right now, but I don't think she should be nerfed because her kit right now is interesting and fun to play. The glass cannon style of fighting is interesting and all of the watches are all cool; even if she is over tuned I'm of the opinion removing features from her would just make the game less exciting to play.  

I would put yes, but I'ma go with no. Even tho Wanda be double dipping.

The other characters should be changed and buffed so that what they bring to their gameplay feels as unique and game changing as Wanda's. 

They also used alot of leway and went wild with creativity for her time related persona perks they should do the same with everyone else.

Kinda like how Walter has alot of small things related to his boy scout background.

Every other characters should get traits that alters the way they see/approach things.

No, is not the case, not all characters need to be equal in mechanical power. Or overall. Plus she's not "OP" how many like to exaggerate, since she has her cons and even on pubs with advanced users I see Wandas kicking the bucket left and right all time. Not anyone micromanages and maximizes all, in ideal environment conditions, for everything to be smoothly-smooth and wreak havoc as old form max-dmg (plus Night Armor protection-level). If anything, characters on which consensus is "they're weak/not-fun to play" should be buffed on various general/specific-utility fronts.

Yes and no.

I like Wanda's fast travel perk, it is extremely convenient and personally my favorite perk because it allows you to be everywhere at once and all the convenience of a base at all times (though limited). Maybe extend the length of the cooldown to 1 and a half days? But I think that would make it more annoying then anything else.

I want to nerf ageless watches, make it that your first use of a ageless watch gives you back 8 years and if you use another ageless watch before the one before it cools down it will give back 1 less age.

Finally I want Wanda to be affected by be resurrected by a telltale heart or florid postern like every other survivor. Not fair your average Wilson gets a max hp loss while Wanda can walk off being crushed by boulders.

I don't know how you would nerf the alarming clock. On one hand, I love it! On the other, it's a bit powerful. I prefer it not being touched, in fact I kind of wished every character had their own unique weapon (wigfrid has one already).

It is kind of insane that Wanda is able to be revived with never any health penalties, but aside that I think she's fine. I've seen good Wanda players accidentally bite the dust due to her glass cannon nature so at least she's working as intended.

Problem with Wanda is that she's kinda overtuned but you can't really scale anything back without making it just making her less fun. In my (probably terrible) opinion, other players should be able to use the rift watch but have it cost like 1/2 their sanity (so it can only be used when above 50%). Which at the very least could make Wanda more of a teamplayer connecting the map for everyone instead of everyone needing to beg her to go anywhere fast

27 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Yes and no.

I like Wanda's fast travel perk, it is extremely convenient and personally my favorite perk because it allows you to be everywhere at once and all the convenience of a base at all times (though limited). Maybe extend the length of the cooldown to 1 and a half days? But I think that would make it more annoying then anything else.

I want to nerf ageless watches, make it that your first use of a ageless watch gives you back 8 years and if you use another ageless watch before the one before it cools down it will give back 1 less age.

Finally I want Wanda to be affected by be resurrected by a telltale heart or florid postern like every other survivor. Not fair your average Wilson gets a max hp loss while Wanda can walk off being crushed by boulders.

I don't know how you would nerf the alarming clock. On one hand, I love it! On the other, it's a bit powerful. I prefer it not being touched, in fact I kind of wished every character had their own unique weapon (wigfrid has one already).

Wanda does not have a health Bar, her Health is quite literally TIME.

And I am 150% sure that Klei is very much aware of that..

She also can’t Rewind her TIME when she is taking Damage over TIME, so just add more TIME based damage attacks for some enemies (Spider Warriors deal Poison DOT in the Shipwrecked DLC, there’s a Treeguards called a POISONOUS Bichnutter that does not actually inflict Poison yet..)

They also have Catcoons programmed to Steal her Watches if she drops them on the ground (something you’ll never do… ) so Klei should just make them pounce her face like they do Wortox & run off with one of her clocks needing to be chased down & killed in TIME before you die..

My answer is Yes: She needs a Nerf..

But make it entirely based on TIME and have nothing Whatsoever to do with Health Core.

I also want a Nerf to Wendy: I feel like every time Abigail Dies Wendy should need atleast 1 Mourning Glory to apply to her flower so that people can’t just continually summon Abigail’s ghost over and over again until something they want Dead is Dead. I would EVEN advocate to have her extra damage tied to needing to put morning glory into the Sisturn instead of Flower Petals.

The character based on interactions with spooky ghost should be rewarded for more interactions with Spooky Ghosts.. Duh.

Plus: Maybe if these changes Did happen people would finally shut the heck up about Wendy/Wanda = OP.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wanda does not have a health Bar, her Health is quite literally TIME.

And in 150% sure that Klei is very much aware of that..

She also can’t Rewind her TIME when she is taking Damage over TIME, so just add more TIME based damage attacks for some enemies (Spider Warriors deal Poison DOT in the Shipwrecked DLC, there’s a Treeguards called a POISONOUS Bichnutter that does not actually inflict Poison yet..)

They also have Catcoons programmed to Steal her Watches if she drops them on the ground (something you’ll never do… ) so Klei should just make them pounce her face like they do Wortox & run off with one of her clocks needing to be chased down & killed in TIME before you die..

My answer is Yes: She needs a Nerf..

But make it entirely based on TIME and have nothing Whatsoever to do with Health Core.

I also want a Nerf to Wendy: I feel like every time Abigail Dies Wendy should need atleast 1 Mourning Glory to apply to her flower so that people can’t just continually summon Abigail’s ghost over and over again until something they want Dead is Dead. I would EVEN advocate to have her extra damage tied to needing to put morning glory into the Sisturn instead of Flower Petals.

The character based on interactions with spooky ghost should be rewarded for more interactions with Spooky Ghosts.. Duh.

Plus: Maybe if these changes Did happen people would finally shut the heck up about Wendy/Wanda = OP.

I like the Wendy change, would make abagail dying a problem (but not too much if you are prepared).

And why are poisonous birchnuts called poisonous brichnuts but aren't actually poisonous? Probably cause it sounds cool. The name that is.

29 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Ageless watches are already (1) very expensive and (2) difficult to use many of all at once.  Compare that to healing with food as anyone but Wormwood (and to a lesser degree Wurt as she doesn’t have that many options, although she has trailmix and butter muffins which are good).

In order to heal Wanda completely you either have to: (1) wear a lot of watches, taking up inventory space; or (2) have chests full of watches, effectively making them stationary—and expensive—healing stations.

4 minutes ago, abrocator said:

Ageless watches are already (1) very expensive and (2) difficult to use many of all at once.  Compare that to healing with food as anyone but Wormwood (and to a lesser degree Wurt as she doesn’t have that many options, although she has trailmix and butter muffins which are good).

In order to heal Wanda completely you either have to: (1) wear a lot of watches, taking up inventory space; or (2) have chests full of watches, effectively making them stationary—and expensive—healing stations.

You don't really need that many watches, the most I've ever needed is 4. That and this won't cause Wanda to not heal whatsoever, just reduce healing watch spam.

Long post guy is here, buckle up. This time I'm hiding half of the post though, so also feel free to not buckle up.

I fail to understand how character nerfs help towards the experience of DST, or what kind of a "balance" people are referring to when they are speaking of a character being overpowered. Can someone please explain how this should work in DST? I'm serious.

Spoiler

I've played multiple genres of games and even have actively supported bans and major tweaks in competitive ones, including those that I managed to climb up to the leaderboard or those that I only casually played. I'm well aware how the balance of a competitive game works, and I'm also well aware how the lack of one can disturb player experience. What aspects in DST disturb the player experience so much that the answer is a nerf?

Like okay, Wickerbottom's books existed way before the RWYS update, so changing a mechanic that directly affected one of her perks would need addressing sooner or later. Am I sad that she received a nerf? Yes, maybe not that much, but still more than a little. Did it drastically change how Wickerbottom was played before? Not really, and on the plus side, the update made the nerf somewhat trivial, so there isn't much reason to complain.

And conversely, one could argue that Applied Hogriculture's impact would be trivial too, but Klei took the path that encouraged more interaction with the new game mechanics, so I respect the nerf although it was fundamentally unnecessary. The purpose was to improve the overall experience and to promote the new mechanics, and it worked especially well for the latter.

So how is this kind of balancing applicable to character nerfs where the main reason is them being "overpowered"? The removal of Wolfgang's speed bonus, for example, is a nerf that a lot less people would complain about if it happened with the launch of DST, just like Maxwell's sanity gain and starting items in DS and DST. It wouldn't affect the player experience at all, because there was (technically) no experience to begin with.

The reworking of Wolfgang's mightiness, on the other hand, changed his whole playstyle. The new mightiness is a buff in the long run, but it heavily affects his early game, where he is encouraged to avoid combat until the player feels safe to utilize his perks. The whole playstyle shifted from risk taking into safe playing. This might have "balanced" his interaction with the team (to which I don't agree, but let's stay on topic), but Wolfgang's own playstyle wasn't rebalanced, it was simply changed to a different one.

In the end, whether you like Wolfgang's rework or not, players who previously played Wolfgang were not only denied the experience they got from him, they also got left with a character that received a nerf for the sake of nerfing. So, what did it cost for those players who enjoy the new Wolfgang? The experience of those who enjoyed the old Wolfgang. I'm not trying to provoke or insult people that enjoy playing as him, I'm honestly glad for you if you enjoy the rework. But this is sadly the case, and I wish other ways were considered to prevent this.

The point I'm trying to make is that character nerfs in a game like DST will cost some players the experience they get from the game, and rebalances come with the risk of sudden changes that will disappoint some players, especially if those rebalances are designed to affect one aspect more than the others.

So again, if the player experience is the most important thing in a game, why remove perks/features from a character, or why nerf them? Why can't every character receive something that makes them both strong and fun to play, and why can't some characters be stronger than others? Why can't some characters excel in rushing certain objectives, and why can't certain characters excel in their combat abilities? Why can't a single character be good in all these aspects, or why can't every character except Wes be uniquely good in all these aspects? I seriously need a detailed explanation.

So a definitive, bold and italic no to the poll from me, not just for Wanda, for any character nerfs in the future too. If a character is too strong for the mechanics of the game, than the game should be tweaked accordingly, and a character nerf should be the last answer on the list. And if you don't feel the thrill while playing Wanda, you are either a god gamer (in that case, congratulations) or simply don't find her playstyle interesting enough. If, however, you are enjoying playing as Wanda and still want her to be nerfed, then please chill. You are supposed to enjoy a video game, and you can create your own challenges for yourself.

5 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

You don't really need that many watches, the most I've ever needed is 4. That and this won't cause Wanda to not heal whatsoever, just reduce healing watch spam.

In that case you are talking about a total age healing nerf of 6 years, or 15 HP.  Which seems so small that it seems that you don’t think she should be nerfed much.

She's a high-skill character, naturally she's going to be stronger than most other characters when used "properly". Truth is she's not easy to play. Strong for veterans, but anyone else would have a tremendously hard time managing her age, crafting her equipment, and fighting properly in her old form with the Alarming Clock. "High skill" should equal "high reward" if you play well.

Archived