What were the best character reworks

What were the best character reworks?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the character reworks did you like the most?

• Webber
    • Wendy
    • Wes
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wigfrid
    • Woodie
    • Warly
    • Winona
  2. 2. Why did you like that one the best?

• It helped improve the character overall
    • I like the lore
    • I just don't really care about the other ones

I was just curious about the community's opinions.

If there is no poll then I probably messed something up. 

As well as the first question I think it would also be interesting to hear some about some of the funniest/stupidest things things that have happened in your Don't Starve worlds. 

:)

Why does this thread not let you pick multiple choices? All of the Reworks have been good (even the one I hated at first: Wigfrids..)

Im not a huge Fan of Wigfrids Rework because I felt like the character designed to be a fighter should’ve had more fighting capabilities: I was under the impression that she was Lured into the Constant with promises to live out her Fantasy of being a Mighty Viking: Therefore I expected more Viking like abilities from her.. but what I did not realize (at that time) was maybe her deal with Maxwell wasn’t to be a better Viking.. maybe her Deal was to be able to return to her former career as a Stage Performance Singer.

Since I’ve come to accept this: I’ve started not to dislike Wigfrids Rework as much- Still a little upset that Wolfgang gets to throw dumbells, Woodie gets to charge forward like a football player, but Wigfrid did not get a spear throw or forward jab.. but I mean.. Meh:

Out of ALL the Reworks hers was & continues to be.. the one that disappointed me the most.

As far as Favorites go:

Wendy, Willow, Webber, Wes, Winona, Wolfgang (yes in that order)

Least favorites: 

Wigfrid, Warly, 

Yet to be Seen: 
Wickerbottom, Wilson, Maxwell, WX78

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why does this thread not let you pick multiple choices? All of the Reworks have been good (even the one I hated at first: Wigfrids..)

Im not a huge Fan of Wigfrids Rework because I felt like the character designed to be a fighter should’ve had more fighting capabilities: I was under the impression that she was Lured into the Constant with promises to live out her Fantasy of being a Mighty Viking: Therefore I expected more Viking like abilities from her.. but what I did not realize (at that time) was maybe her deal with Maxwell wasn’t to be a better Viking.. maybe her Deal was to be able to return to her former career as a Stage Performance Singer.

Since I’ve come to accept this: I’ve started not to dislike Wigfrids Rework as much- Still a little upset that Wolfgang gets to throw dumbells, Woodie gets to charge forward like a football player, but Wigfrid did not get a spear throw or forward jab.. but I mean.. Meh:

Out of ALL the Reworks hers was & continues to be.. the one that disappointed me the most.

As far as Favorites go:

Wendy, Willow, Webber, Wes, Winona, Wolfgang (yes in that order)

Least favorites: 

Wigfrid, Warly, 

Yet to be Seen: 
Wickerbottom, Wilson, Maxwell, WX78

I'm not sure how to make it so you can pick multiple of them at the same time. If I knew how to I would. 

I chose Woodie. Jesus Goose skipping across the water at Mach 2 looking for Lunar never gets old to me. 

Wendy has had a more drastic Rework helping her. Wolfgang one hurting him, Woodie was given a decent new set of toys to play with and I actually liked them all.

I'd say Warly, since he was looked at as one of the more worse picks back in Shipwrecked.
His rework for the intro to DST really helped breathe some new life into him and gave him more utility outside of just "can cook food on-the-go". His spices and special dishes are great. :encouragement: And his video made us all cry, don't deny it.

Hm, too bad it wasn't multiple choice...  but sometimes that's good - force people to nail down their absolute opinion.

The Willow rework was the best for me.  She got her fire immunity back, which was always a sore void in her kit since it was first taken out.  Getting giant bernie gives me strong Calvin and Hobbes vibes while playing.  I've played Willow a lot since I first started playing DS, before RoG was even added.  If Willow wasn't in the game I doubt I would have even tried it.  For a long time Willow felt a bit nerfed in DST, and she had some odd mechanics that never really felt at home...  The rework brought her back to where she should be and even added to her a bit.

I don't care that she isn't the most OP character in the game, I don't want her to be.  I think having characters at different power points is good for the game.  What I do care about is sound thematics and mechanics, and she has both.

This isn't to say there aren't things I could complain about, but if Klei doesn't change a thing about Willow I'll still be happy and buying every Willow skin they release and I'll always come back to my fire girl <3 

------------------------------------

I wanna give honorable mention to Wendy who's rework was basically some smoothing of her kit yet pushed her to be one of the strongest characters in the game.  I had friends who tried DST with me, and liked Wendy, but because it was so difficult to manage her flower and Abigail, dropped it all and moved on.  If they tried it again now I'm sure they would have a better experience, although idk if they'd come back to try it again.

Unfortunately I haven't touched Wes since his rework.  idk why, I just haven't had the urge :\ sry buddy.

I tried Winona a lot since her rework and dang, the girl is just too annoying to actually play.  The hunger penalty for crafting hits hard early game when you're crafting more intermittently, and the double crafting time is a huge penalty if you're caught needing to craft a weapon in a pinch.  She doesn't do anything to compensate you for your troubles until you've farmed up 500+ rocks either, just a nerfed Wilson with a dream I guess...  idk -_- she needs some love :\ 

Wait.. the guy with Wes as his PfP has not yet played Reworked Wes? I ranked him at 4 in my top favorite reworks features that weren’t even part of Webbers Rework bumped him above Wes (Nurse Spiders & Water Spiders)

Im hopeful Klei will continue this trend with future content updates, and not just with Spiders.. if A new Bermuda Triangle biome is added I’d want to see Wendy interact in new ways with shipwrecked restless souls.. if a new Heavy Item is added to the game I want to see Wolfgang Carrying it with Ease,  maybe even being able to use it in some way like maybe as a weapon or a makeshift bridge.. I can just picture Wolfgang for example carrying a large Driftwood log on his shoulder and then tossing it over a gap in a cave for him and his buddies to cross.

But for you to NOT have played Wes since his fun new balloon crafts? Aw man shame.

(just the new shapes to purely decorative balloons alone was worth it.)

Warly rework (or introduction?) for the rich possibilities that it has given teamplay and solo with character switches.  I still don’t like him as a person though.  A character whose downside is that they turn their nose up at repetitive food ingestion is really silly in a survival game.  (And before you mention Wigfrid: she has to stay in character in order to keep her fighting buffs.  Becoming a herbivore would break that illusion, apparently.)

55 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wait.. the guy with Wes as his PfP has not yet played Reworked Wes?

idk man, having powers is a thing I didn't expect Wes to ever do.  Its complicated.

Anyway while I identify with Wes the most, I desire Willow the most and its my mo to play characters I desire, not characters I am.  Character choices in games are never about representing myself in the game, I'd say its more like I'm on a date with them.  Warly looking pretty cute lately too <3 

41 minutes ago, abrocator said:

A character whose downside is that they turn their nose up at repetitive food ingestion is really silly in a survival game.

I think it forces him to lean into heavy dishes more, so he can just loop like meaty stew, bacon and eggs, turkey dinner, repeat.  Thematically it kinda breaks the intent b/c his "picky eating" turns into eating a small list of BIG dishes rather than encouraging variety.  I know in SW he had a bonus hunger he would get from eating any crock pot dish, and people have mentioned giving that back to him here.  It would be cool if he got a decent flat bonus rather than a percent though - a percent bonus would just reinforce eating the biggest dishes around, where a flat bonus might encourage eating a variety of smaller dishes.  He also needs a cook book update that better takes advantage of the farmed goods.  Gardening with Warly is pretty essential since you need peppers, dragon fruits, and asparagus but then you have so many carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes left over O_O not to mention all of the other crops that are literally as good as rot since they aren't useful for any specific dish, and he can't eat them raw...

Trying to stay as unbiased as possible, I still can't think of a reason for anyone but Warly. He went from a character who was just a whiny little picky man to someone with what are imo the best upsides and the harshest downsides. He is extremely viable and not just a weird challenge character that he once was, even though his challenging side got more challenging.

1 hour ago, GuyNamedChris said:

I'd say Warly, since he was looked at as one of the more worse picks back in Shipwrecked.
His rework for the intro to DST really helped breathe some new life into him and gave him more utility outside of just "can cook food on-the-go". His spices and special dishes are great. :encouragement: And his video made us all cry, don't deny it.

Hey weren't you the person who got a pigman named after them?

Also yeah Warly's animation was pretty sad. I thought his rework made him pretty useful when it comes to gathering resources and fighting some of the tougher bosses. 

19 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

Wolfgang's rework was best at breaking my heart.

You really didn't like it huh?

Reworks strictly, Warly aside, I actually want to say either Wes or Wigfrids.
Wigfrid was a small change to let her have some more teamplay, take or leave it I don't mind it. It's cute.

Wes actually made him fun to play somehow and brought in some very in-character "Your friends thrive at your expense" perks where he absolutely needed. Loved Wes' rework so much.

I'm surprised Warly is among the highest. One would think a praised rework would make him garner a larger active fanbase but from what I'm seeing he's basically a swap character for long term worlds.

I'm mostly a pub player where it rarely lasts long yet I enjoy warly there since that is his weak point.. well the first season at least until there can be a handful of garlic to be made.

I still like Warly's rework the most nonetheless, the increased flavor (heh), and having that power fantasy of being a chef that can dole out very strong effects to everyone, with actual downsides to compensate.

I wish every character had the same ratio of upside:downside as Warly. This is why I hate Wendy's rework. So much upside, for what, a 0.75% damage modifier that is easily negated? Now that's disproportionate. 

Alright for real now. Chose warly because I like how selfless his abilities are and the on the go crockpot. This doesn't just include the spices I find fish cordon bleu and glow berry mousse to be excellent for assisting your friends or babying new players. 

He works great alone and even better together.

His downside is unique but manageable. ( Some complain that you could just eat til full just to avoid the picky eater but that still involves waiting out 2 days time is a HUGE asset ) you still have to know more recipes than usual if you want to fill your sanity and hp more efficiently and faster.

Kinda wish he had something unique to himself though.  The crockpot and spices are nice but they exist "outside" of warly's own stats. His chef pack exist..... But that's pretty much it about that thing tho lol.

Archived