What you think about biomes reworks?

1 hour ago, leonidas_iv said:

I'm particularly tired of the same “forest” and other biomes since 2013, what do you think about future rework in the biomes?
We haven't had any changes on the continent in a long time... The last one was at A New Reign, right?

I'd wholly welcome some permanent additions to the biomes that make them unique from one another. The forests don't really feel like forests once all the trees are gone and all the spider nests have been moved...

It'd be cool to have terraria levels of depth to biomes, maybe the biomes could even change after moonstorm. Probably not gonna happen for a while since 1. klei probably has a plan of what they're gonna do with the game for the foreseeable future, and 2. klei needs to fill out the ocean if they dont have a plan

I like how biomes are but they do tend to get too calm over time, maybe having each one being different not only in mobs and resources but also maybe get an unique small mechanic to differentiate them you know something attractive to each one, althoug that may also be difficult because of how turf works I guess.

Giving diversity to all the different biomes to add more content and yearly experiences would be amazing. As it stands you could quite literally go Hundreds of days and only set foot in a biome Once. In my Woodie playthrough, I'm on day 500+ and still haven't fully mapped out the land yet because I have everything I need.

One thing I would like to add though, I'm not advocating for more boss fights and craftables, I'm talking about different mechanics, layouts, minigames, and much more. What separates the one rockyland biome from the other one you have? Perhaps a portal to a stone maze minigame where you have to find your way out while being chased down. Maybe you go Beefalo spotting in a savannah biome to find different variations for a mysterious stranger that's researching beefalo or something. Something away from the "eat, fight, go through the seasons, repeat" cycle.

neccesary. We have like 3 forest biomes that only change in things that doesnt matter (like having a forgoten beef herd or a piggy village)

things like the new terraria set piece or what they did with the grotto are the way to go. If we compare the new biomes with the older ones we can see that klei is able to do better and funnier things

also i dont understand why they dont add a bunch of set piece in some QoL patch since is easier than adding new stuff and adds a lot of variety when we create worlds and makes the gameplay richer

19 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

im not so sure about this, i mean, what would you change to "green grass land"? just ad more enemys in there at day 100? 

Considering you can now toggle on/off/more/less of every feature in the entire game just about? Basically- Yes..

And new Weather, and New things that happen- But all of course completely able to be switched off if your not up for it.

I would personally love to see DST get the same kind of big biome changes as Minecraft’s Caves & Cliffs Part 2-

(Go goggle the Before & After of that.)

On 12/7/2021 at 3:45 PM, Dr.Medic said:

im not so sure about this, i mean, what would you change to "green grass land"? just ad more enemys in there at day 100? 

or resources that grows in certain seasons, or even birds that can only found in some biomes. Or some kind of corruption that you should clean before eat the whole biome... dst mechanics open a lot of possibilities

isnt like all the biomes should be as populated as the waterlogged but neither we should have 3 savanas, 3 dark forest, 2 decidious, 2 meteor fields, 2 rocky biomes.... there is many biomes that are only a mix of other biomes that makes the concept of "random generated worlds" kinda bland when it could have more replayability

edit: I also never understood why there is the same temperature in the oasis than in a rocky biome

having biomes with perma frost or perma high temperatures can make every trip to these biomes interesting

Biome reworks is not something that klei will likely focus on if they are really gonna do more ocean content, which by the way the have not said anything about it, so maybe we can expect no more ocean content at all.

I like the idea of biome refresh but i would prioritize the ocean first. 

25 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Biome reworks is not something that klei will likely focus on if they are really gonna do more ocean content, which by the way the have not said anything about it, so maybe we can expect no more ocean content at all.

Well if they rework the biomes they could also change how each biome could interact with the ocean you now like maybe some have beaches some could be more like a amphibious biome like the swamp (I really like that idea), some could get flooded in spring, etc.

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

also i dont understand why they dont add a bunch of set piece in some QoL patch since is easier than adding nee stuff and adds a lot of variety when we create worlds and makes the gameplay richer

I would REALLY like more setpiaces in the game

1 hour ago, IanKSB91 said:

Well if they rework the biomes they could also change how each biome could interact with the ocean you now like maybe some have beaches some could be more like a amphibious biome like the swamp (I really like that idea), some could get flooded in spring, etc.

With the addition of water tiles, swamps can actually have real ponds. There are so many unique additional possibilities.

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

there is many biomes that are only a mix of other biomes that makes the concept of "random generated worlds" kinda bland when i could have more replayability

I don't particularly consider the generation random. They are basically certain predefined biomes that are chosen in the generation. Setpiaces could add a lot more variety to the game, as you said earlier.

2 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

I hope they would periodically switch the updates between ocean, land and caves. The ocean already has something to offer (obviously not enough), but land is where most players spend most of their time (and usually build their bases) and caves are just not worth exploring at all - the only thing is finding ruins, grotto & archives and maybe toadstool setpieces.

2 hours ago, IanKSB91 said:

This.

I think the ocean and caves need to be improved first before land content is prioritized tbh. Land doesn’t need any more content to attract players to it rn since it’s the easiest of the 3 to be in; you need to have a reason to take a trip to the ocean or caves, and both areas don’t have enough reasons to stay that outweigh their negatives.

Am I the only one who plays this game who absolutely HATES how all my problems can literally be solved by walking in a straight line far enough away from whatever’s attacking, I mean even gathering resources is just a simple casual stroll through flat empty biomes that are all conveniently connected to each other...

Its gotten tired Klei, it worked in 2013- but you are one year away from celebrating 10 years of the Dont Starve Franchise- I was hopeful HUGE changes would accompany this 10 year celebration, things like new weather, islands with their own unique biomes, mobs, weather etc.. Elevated foundations of land so we can take our game to literal new heights..

TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY and your a little less then about 14 months removed from it..

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Am I the only one who plays this game who absolutely HATES how all my problems can literally be solved by walking in a straight line far enough away from whatever’s attacking, I mean even gathering resources is just a simple casual stroll through flat empty biomes that are all conveniently connected to each other...

Its gotten tired Klei, it worked in 2013- but you are one year away from celebrating 10 years of the Dont Starve Franchise- I was hopeful HUGE changes would accompany this 10 year celebration, things like new weather, islands with their own unique biomes, mobs, weather etc.. Elevated foundations of land so we can take our game to literal new heights..

TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY and your a little less then about 14 months removed from it..

Elevated terrain could work, but haven't they said already that they tried it and they didn't like it?

I would like more "random" biomes. I find it boring, when I enter forest and already "know" there will be mandrakes, or pig king, or glommer... or I enter quarry and well... most interesting things around quarry are just rocks. More set pieces, or return some rare ones from past...

11 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

The one thing I don't want is to wait for 3 in game years to get a certain item because of bad luck or slow changes over time. Not to say I don't like these ideas, I think they're really good. 

I feel like Klei should “re-evaluate” how they handle new content- I mean I’ve been in the Moonstorm two times in someone else’s world, I have never been in one in my own world because the amount of time it takes to reach that stage of the game is literally 6+ hours long.. I personally enjoy content I can experience in short bursts, get to enjoying immediately without having to wait for a specific time of year to roll around to gather a resource to finish a quest that helps finish another quest..

I feel like Moonstorm could’ve just as easily been a new (completely optional) weather effect you can toggle on/off in world Gen setting & I could’ve experienced that content more often without all the build up to get to it.

I bring this up because any “Gets more difficult as the days progress up” type through the ages content- will take literal 10+ hours to experience, when that’s not the way it should be- you should have options to experience that content sooner: Maybe by being able to choose in those same settings how often, what year, etc X Event or X Mob spawns- I don’t want to sit on DST repeating the same old tasks over and over and over again to get to the point of the game that feels “New” to me.

Personally I would’ve loved a world Gen option where Lunar & the Mainland are Reversed- As in The Main area is the small one and Lunar is 95% of the game world.

The TL:DR- if new content is to be added, don’t make it a repetitive grind to get to & enjoy.

Archived