What you think about biomes reworks?

53 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

I struggle to imagine what an interesting biome is. 

For me, there is no such thing as "interesting" biome in DST - it's always a scale from least to most.

That said, my preference would be a biome that is harder to navigate through. The newest biome - waterlogged is a prime example of this. It's not like the biome couldn't be reduced to: "What is there? Only this this and that, happens if this and this happens if that.". But i can call it more interesting than a forest for example.

There is 1 biome that comes to mind that actually is interesting to me: Hamlet's jungle biome. It is kind of scary because of reduced visibility, I was never sure which vines are spiky, and I was afraid of the spider monkeys. Another reason, why it is interesting is the entrance to Hamlet's version of ruins. Also, there is the variant with unbreathable gas.

Also, for example in forest or grassland, or savannah, there are not many different mechanics. But in the newest Lunar biomes - 1 and island and 2 underground (grotto and archives) all have different mechanics from the rest.

TLDR;

These things make biomes more interesting for me:

• plenty new mechanics
  • harder maneuverability / reduced senses / different weather
  • distinct setpieces, mobs, items that you could find nowhere else (until moved at least)

13 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

The one thing I don't want is to wait for 3 in game years to get a certain item because of bad luck or slow changes over time. Not to say I don't like these ideas, I think they're really good. 

they can add it to the world setting so it starts earlier or later

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they can add it to the world setting so it starts earlier or later

Thank You- finally someone catches onto what I’ve been saying all this time, let us choose to interact with new content faster or later.. just like if Klei adds a Hardcore Mode to the game that adds a ton of new crazy features, mobs, weather patterns etc- I don’t want to spend 20+ real hours getting to that New Game + instead: I would prefer being able to optionally enjoy that content by toggling it on/off rather I did X thing in the game to reach that point or not.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Thank You- finally someone catches onto what I’ve been saying all this time, let us choose to interact with new content faster or later.. just like if Klei adds a Hardcore Mode to the game that adds a ton of new crazy features, mobs, weather patterns etc- I don’t want to spend 20+ real hours getting to that New Game + instead: I would prefer being able to optionally enjoy that content by toggling it on/off rather I did X thing in the game to reach that point or not.

that doesnt means that they should add things that only very few player will enjoy just because "you can turn it off"

37 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that doesnt means that they should add things that only very few player will enjoy just because "you can turn it off"

More like “turn it on..” with Off being the default.

When Horror Hounds and Horror Penguins were added the forums went into an uptight uproar about it, instead of removing them altogether: Klei instead added an option to turn them off.

Now imagine if they were Off by Default and able to be toggled on later- 

Same as any newer mob, weather effect, harder content etc.. 

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve been in the Moonstorm two times in someone else’s world, I have never been in one in my own world because the amount of time it takes to reach that stage of the game is literally 6+ hours long..

i finish all quest line for summoning CC about 150-ish day or in my 2nd year .. 6 hours? (45days) dang thats legit run to able do storm in less than a year ...

also for a biome change can we just get a simple change for now ? make the biome generate on random order ... i saw a lot of biome in boring order all the time .. like when u see pig king u might connected to df desert  or find moon table forest .. the oasis on the edge of map , connected to spider quarry and killer bees biom .... its somehow just so predictable 

I would greatly love a “randomize everything” button- maybe hound mounds could be in a swampy biome for once, maybe Angry Bee Hives can be down inside Caves.. I know it sounds like a mod:

But when I bought DS/DST I bought them because it said in the description: “Explore randomly generated worlds where everything hates you & wants you to die”

For awhile it truly felt like that, but then biomes and what could be found in them biomes became predictable I learned not to look for the Panflute or Glommers Statue in the Swamp.. always follow the Paths to find Pig King, etc… What I would love more then anything in the world is a more randomized experience.

Thats what sold me on the franchise in the first place.. Klei should double down on that- especially now that world Gen options exist in greater capacity then they ever have before..

Refreshing the old biomes with new content is great- but it doesn’t solve the problem of being able to become Familiar with what spawns in the biome… 

A truly randomized world: Would.

On 12/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, Leonidas IV said:

I'm particularly tired of the same “forest” and other biomes since 2013, what do you think about future rework in the biomes?
We haven't had any changes on the continent in a long time... The last one was at A New Reign, right?

This is one of the times I'd like them to just port/rework preexisting content to DST, seriously these guys are sitting on a gold mine of content. For example:

Savanna could easily receive old beefalo, dung piles, tall grass, dung beetles and possibly weevoles too. It wouldn't be very hard to explain why they exist, Hamlet is canonically above the constant, just make it that some creatures wondered here similar to pigs or that charlie did something to make them fall. And old beefalo are just that... old beefalo, they're in the gorge but I doubt that it's exclusive to that world, just make them rarer than normal since they're an age beefalo aren't meant to reach. Not to mention things like spider monkeys (the splumonkey beta design) could be in the caves and when the nightmare phase hits they become spider gorillas (the current used spider monkey design), vampire bats could be added to the caves or even be a hound wave variant for when someones in the caves, mandrake hills for the forest (although make them rare-ish) for another way to get living logs, fishermerms for the swamp, scorpions for the desert, etc etc.

I can see why someone wouldn't want more ported content, but even then similar made content would fit fine like how the Waterlogged biome is literally just Shipwrecks mangrove biome.

At first I was against the idea of adding new content to the starting area of the game because my friends who are trying to learn the game already struggle doing so as is.. But then when Klei added the QoL change to the game that lets me exit my world at any time and toggle on/off certain aspects of that world I suddenly realized they could go crazy adding new content (maybe have some of it off by default the player can opt to toggle on) 

The way I CURRENTLY play DST is that I have to exit my worlds and change certain aspects of my world to make the session enjoyable based upon WHO I’m playing with at the time- For example I have a friend who just likes a casual easy going experience.. so I need to turn off every season except Autumn, remove hound waves, sanity monsters and night time so that friend can play and slowly learn things, but on the opposite side of the spectrum: I have friends who want to be brutally punished around every corner so- things like no butterflies, low flowers, more wildfires, slow regrowth, no Ice, Long Summers, more hound waves etc get flipped on.

The TL:DR of that is I already have tools at my disposal to modify the game to be as easy or as hard as I feel like playing it at the time.

And updating old biomes with new content would be no different, I would absolutely love to see them add Shipwrecked & Hamlet Biomes & Mobs into DST.

Like my now archived “Redesign the Oasis” thread from several years back..

I can promise you that given enough thought put into it they can find places to put the content of those other expansions into DST.

Volcanic biome of Shipwrecked? Magmatic biome of Forge? Seems like a perfect spot somewhere deep deep underground.

Plus I really just want Palm Trees, and those pink Sugar trees from Gorge to exist somewhere within the game so I can build those types of trees into my worlds.

The new Kitcoon designs are also a great example of new content in old areas.. each Kitcoon has a biome design, but.. what if the adult versions behaved differently too? Such as having Forest Catcoons sleeping in forest trees and.. when you chop down their homes they pounce out hostile?

There’s a lot of fun ideas Klei could bring to dst to really make it feel like a 2022 game- because in my opinion it still feels like it’s playing “catch up” to Shipwrecked & Hamlet.

Archived