What would you change about / add to farming?

On 11/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I don't really like how some veggies that are superior to others also share the same nutrients stats or even season making the weak veggies pointless in most of the cases

Klei really did the eggplant dirty.

RWYS was one of the best updates to the game, and farming right now is in a great state, so I don't have too many suggestions. Actually, everything I can suggest is currently handled by the mods I have installed:

• Better Seed Pack-it. I just want to be able to use it instead of ice boxes.
  • Snapping Tills. I'm not suggesting snapping should be added, but an alternative might an auto-tiller that sets up a nice neat 3x3 square when it's used on a tile.

The only other thing I can think of is a balance issue: the friendly fruit fly is a very powerful reward for defeating a not-so-powerful mob. This seems to be the result of combining two game mechanics into one:

1. A successful harvest can spawn a miniboss, so farming isn't a completely risk-free endeavor and...
  2. Defeating a miniboss should give you the friendly fruit fly as a reward.

The problem is, spawning a miniboss from a successful harvest drops a hostile mob into the middle of your base. You *have* to kill the Lord of the Fruit flies. This in turn means the Lord can't be too tough or new players won't have any chance of surviving their first spring. But the reward is very high for a fight that doesn't even measure up to your average hound wave at that point in the game.

The answer: split up these two mechanics.

1. Reskin the current lord into a Giant Fruit Fly, that behaves pretty much the same but just drops crop seeds and leafy meat when killed. 
  2. Restore the Lord of the Fruit Flies to glory, giving him stats and abilities about on-par with a spider queen, and provide a specific way to summon him so that he doesn't just show up randomly in the middle of people's bases. For example, a "fly weed" plant that spawns the boss if it grows to full, but can be dug out before that.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, Duck986 said:

Edit: ok, maybe a use for scarecrows would be good, but that'll be enough, in my opinion

I've been gone for a while so my memory is a bit foggy, but I think Scarecrows are used to generate Canaries, which are then used to spawn Misery Toadstool and multiply ShroomSkins. Not really farming related I know. Well, not the kind of farming discussed in this thread.

26 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I've been gone for a while so my memory is a bit foggy, but I think Scarecrows are used to generate Canaries, which are then used to spawn Misery Toadstool and multiply ShroomSkins. Not really farming related I know. Well, not the kind of farming discussed in this thread.

No, I meant that Scarecrows can get their direct use which is, well, scare crows from your crops.

4 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

No, I meant that Scarecrows can get their direct use which is, well, scare crows from your crops.

someone suggested that crows would affects in a negative way the tending while canaries will tent the crops with their singing

i liked the suggestion (and klei might though about it according to the trailer)  but i guess it was annoying until you get a pupkin and after getting it becomes an useless mechanic

8 minutes ago, DajeKotlyar said:

I want lunar version of crops, which should be grown on the lunar island. They should restore more sanity

I wanted specific areas you needed to grow something in, I mean you can still grow it.. (probably) but it’ll require a lot more work and effort then if you just grew it in the biome or climate it prefers to be grown within.

Like real plants & farm crops.

A few more uses for the giant crops;

A) Giant Dragonfruits and Giant Carrots being incubate-able near bath-bombed hot springs of the Lunar island, after a while giving birth to a saladmander and carrats respectively, adding some renewability to both mobs on the island.

B) Giant CrPlantarator.png.767f4136194d9788355537d99ac92895.pngop generator: A third type of generator for Winona that can only power two machines at a time (would have an vide oval range rather than a circle) but with a very long lifetime, working as long as the giant crop's spoilage. Upon spoiling, the socketed giant crop would be open to be replaced by another. This'd buff the spotlight as the biggest problem with this building is that it eats power too quickly to be any useful, making catapults Winona's only good machine.

i literally dont farm at all during speedruns despite having a lot of rot laying everywhere. i think this system is just for casual players.

by the way, i think dst's farming is weird, in the real world, harvesting is joyful, planting is annoying.

however, in dst, harvesting is a real pain, the joy is in planting.

47 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

To grow special sea crops or at least to be able to farm Succulents as shrubs or something.

Do you mean like creating some form of farm on the ocean for plants that only grow there? That could help if you try to live in the open ocean and you need a form to maintain your food supplies when fishing isn't enough, I just wonder if it would be a tile like the farms on land or if it could be something like a boat platform whit spaces for planting and harvesting ocean life. 

Archived