What would you change about / add to farming?

personally I would like for till weeds to be rebalanced a bit. I think having them as an alternative source of rocks/stone/gold through garden detritus would be interesting, but the current drop chance for those resources is absurdly low (like 70% chance for each one to drop Nothing), so you're more likely to have a net loss of resources from digging them up X_X

an alternate way to water crops would be nice too since there's like 10 different ways to "talk" to crops but you can only rely on rain, water balloons, and watering cans for watering (maybe an automated sprinkler system for Winona?)

and some more Unique non-food based crops would be cool to see too as more high-end / high maintenance options, like gem plants that freeze or burn the area around them if they aren't satisfied.

Personally? Just more threats to farming, honestly.
Originally during RwYS I imagined there'd be hostile weed creatures that'd spring up that you'd have to fend off. Something a bit more interactive than the current weeds.

You're gonna want to put effort into your farm for good harvests, but there still is the option to just plant and forget that I don't entirely like. 
Which is personally my opinion I guess, but I'd enjoy more threats. Things like birds pecking at crops you can fend off with a scarecrow, or something like having weeds sprout into aggressive monsters if you just don't tend to them. Nothing super chaotic.
6e4b4352289817.5baf9e4d7f199.jpg
image.thumb.png.4cc576fc8bae352b8b1655e69310a552.png

I don't really like how some veggies that are superior to others also share the same nutrients stats or even season making the weak veggies pointless in most of the cases

and is so damn effective when you know how to do it, but i guess is fair with all the things you have to learn but still feel like you never will starve xD

best update since ANR

24 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Seeds planted by Wormwood should start with a couple of negative stress points :apple:

What about if he got a new craft that took his HP and other fertilizers to ''specially'' fertilize plants to lower stress?

I think farming is fine as it is right now. If anything should be changed it would be the crock pot dishes that crops can make, since some of them are not very balanced with others.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

Originally during RwYS I imagined there'd be hostile weed creatures that'd spring up that you'd have to fend off. Something a bit more interactive than the current weeds.

You're gonna want to put effort into your farm for good harvests, but there still is the option to just plant and forget that I don't entirely like. 
Which is personally my opinion I guess, but I'd enjoy more threats. Things like birds pecking at crops you can fend off with a scarecrow, or something like having weeds sprout into aggressive monsters if you just don't tend to them. Nothing super chaotic.

Wouldn't be opposed to something like this, though. As long as it just lowered your harvests instead of got rid of them completely. I wouldn't want planting and forgetting to be removed completely since it still does require a decent bit of effort to hoe the ground one by one, plant the seeds one by one, then tap a one man band and put some water on them.

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

me neither but feels weird to foeget the plots 1 year and still getting the food

is like this system has 0 real punishmemts. They even nerfed the firenetles

After you plant the plants you need to return in a few days. If they stay ready to harvest for 4 days (6 as Wormwood) they'll turn into a rotten plant. Eventually that rotten plant will restart the cycle as a sprout again, but now it's not being cared for so it's probably not going to give you any seeds and lower your seed supply. Whenever I mess up and get rotten plants I just harvest the rot or burn them and try again, losing everything I put into that attempt.

Also worth noting is that other food sources (pigs, goats, bees, kelp, stone fruit) are even lower effort and even less punishing. Farms are some of the higher effort and riskier food sources, even a farm that's only attended to at its creation and its harvesting.

Farming music requires over 5 farm-related activities to play, stops playing and cannot start durring dusk and night.

Only winter crops grow in winter, the rest are halted. Different farming music for winter since... I mean come on, it's winter, you no longer have the 'happy farming time, one with nature' stuff. It's more of a 'good god I hope this will be enough to last me till spring'

Waterfoul can can be refilled in the ocean and every 3 refills produces 1 salt crystal

20 hours ago, -Variant said:

Yes! And also rework existing mob A.I so that Rabbits, Gobblers, Pigmen etc will try to get into your crops (they make fences and walls for a reason.. use them) 

I always saw don’t starve as being a game about well.. not starving- that doesn’t just apply to you the character, it SHOULD apply to all mobs in the game.

They don’t need to actually starve, but when a spider reads “Starving Spider” maybe it becomes a lot more aggressive in trying to obtain food.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, Cheggf said:

If anything should be changed it would be the crock pot dishes that crops can make, since some of them are not very balanced with others.

Completely agree. It sucks to have some crops that are just used to either combo with others for nutrients and rot in the ice box, or that you just get through random seeds and, again, rot in the ice box. Being basically just filler that occupies more space.

I would love to have useful recipes for the currently less useful crops, making every crop at least slightly worth growing. But, for now there's almost no incentive for variety.

Of course if you're playing Warly, some crops get way more worth your time, but others, like pumpkins, become useless.

There are a few things which my friend and I wish they could add.

A sprinkler sytem for watering, or even an upgrade to the flingomatic. We have the Friendly Fruit Fly to help keep the crops happy, it would be great if we had a sprinkler to help with watering through the year when it isn't raining.

Tilling farms feels needlessly clumsy and tedious, especially on larger farms. It can be difficult to keep within the farm plot unless you're being careful and accidentally tilling close to an existing spot becomes frustrating when it removes the previous one. I know there are mods to help with tilling neatly but I feel this sort change should come from the game itself. Perhaps the tilling action could be done in rows rather than individual spots where the character creates a channel across the width/length of the farm in which you can plant a row of 6 seeds. Alternatively a tilling machine similar to the Digamajig which can be left to till the soil, or even a friendly mole which can be dropped onto a farm to burrow rows in the soil for your seeds.

11 minutes ago, Orangex said:

A sprinkler sytem for watering, or even an upgrade to the flingomatic. We have the Friendly Fruit Fly to help keep the crops happy, it would be great if we had a sprinkler to help with watering through the year when it isn't raining.

You don't need to repeatedly water the crops unless you want giant crops, and you don't need to get giant crops for no effort. 

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You don't need to repeatedly water the crops unless you want giant crops, and you don't need to get giant crops for no effort. 

Obviously it would need some effort to begin with, similar to flingomatics, they would need to be created for a cost and maintained and not fully automate the watering process completely, just remove some of the need to repeatedly check up on them.

11 minutes ago, Orangex said:

Obviously it would need some effort to begin with, similar to flingomatics, they would need to be created for a cost and maintained and not fully automate the watering process completely, just remove some of the need to repeatedly check up on them.

Needing to repeatedly check up on them is the only thing stopping giant crops from being totally bonkers. Flingos are dirt cheap and giant crops are made from cheap dirt. If you could automate the process then all you'd need to do is spend 2 minutes tilling a quadruple farm patch then be rewarded with an insane 288-432 crops and 288-432 seeds. 2 minutes of effort to receive 8,400-12,600 hunger and 2,976-4,464 health. 2 minutes of effort to make it so that for the next 1,344 minutes you don't have to worry about hunger any more, even ignoring the hunger restoration of all the excess seeds you got.

Of course that's theoretical since the fruit fly's AI turns off when he's unloaded and he stops working.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Needing to repeatedly check up on them is the only thing stopping giant crops from being totally bonkers. Flingos are dirt cheap and giant crops are made from cheap dirt. If you could automate the process then all you'd need to do is spend 2 minutes tilling a quadruple farm patch then be rewarded with an insane 288-432 crops and 288-432 seeds. 2 minutes of effort to receive 8,400-12,600 hunger and 2,976-4,464 health. 2 minutes of effort to make it so that for the next 1,344 minutes you don't have to worry about hunger any more, even ignoring the hunger restoration of all the excess seeds you got.

Of course that's theoretical since the fruit fly's AI turns off when he's unloaded and he stops working.

As I said, it wouldn't automate them. With how easy it is to get large amounts of food in the game already, removing some of the tedious parts of farming isn't a big deal.

2 minutes ago, Orangex said:

As I said, it wouldn't automate them.

Automatic watering is the only thing that's stopping automatic giant crops since everything else is already automated (but tending requires a player nearby).

3 minutes ago, Orangex said:

With how easy it is to get large amounts of food in the game already, removing some of the tedious parts of farming isn't a big deal.

If it's so easy to get large amounts of food why do you need automatic giant crops?

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Automatic watering is the only thing that's stopping automatic giant crops since everything else is already automated (but tending requires a player nearby).

If it's so easy to get large amounts of food why do you need automatic giant crops?

Yet again, they don't need to be automated. You have your opinion, and it hasn't changed mine. This was simply my responce to the OP's question. You don't have to panic about the game changing.

2 minutes ago, Orangex said:

Yet again, they don't need to be automated. You have your opinion, and it hasn't changed mine. This was simply my responce to the OP's question. You don't have to panic about the game changing.

You don't need to panic about your bad suggestion getting constructive criticism.

maybe there could be a new kind of lureplant bulb that could be planted in the farm soil that would grow and have the ability to defend the player against hounds and hostile creatures or even an invasion of possible crop-destroying rats.

something like that

Carnivorous plant.jpg

Archived