Game needs more chaos.

I have been playing this game for quite a long time now, and I have made a lot of mods for it. I can very much say I really love this game, but for everything I appreciate in it, I can also say what I feel like its missing from it. When I start a new colony, I already knows exactly what I need to do to archive something, I have the best way and methods to do it; this is so much true for the entire game play, from the beginning to the end. This is so because the game don't have any form of unpredictability, aside the duplicants stupidity sometimes. It lack local or global events that challenge your colony in short or long run. When this sort of game has unpredictability events, you have to either quickly adapt to it, or prepare for it beforehand, with risks that it may even not be enough.

What I mean is that the game lacks treats to your colony, be it diseases (which are pretty much not a real thing to be weary of atm) or external world treats. The game lacks danger from events that come outside the player control, at any time, that can make your colony a true nightmare. Please Klei, add a pinch of chaos to this game!

My ideas:

• Radiation Storms: huge waves of radiation that could kill everything not protected from it.
  • Solar Storms: solar storms would fry your base electronics if they are activated during this time.
  • Random Meteor Seasons: many times of meteors that could happen in your asteroid.
  • Radioactive Mass: a fallen comet lands a big radioactive mass on your base, making it a hell hole until you remove it.
  • Eldritch Abomination Hellspawn: a massive creature that appears outside your base in the space, and literaly eats anyone outside, and make havoc of your space buildings. Lovecraft style!
  • Asteroid Quake: this would damage your buildings and require a lots of repairs around your base.
  • Botton Magma Surge: this would make a massive magma eruption in the botton of the asteroid. Could add some radiactive contaminated magma too, just to spice it a bit.

Some sort of threat would be really cool to fight against as long as it`s toggleable. Some people prefer to just build without some random thing destroying their stuff.

Radiation storms sound cool. I`d combine them with solar storms. They`d need a warning system and a way to keep dupes from going outside when it`s incomming. I`d imagine it could overheatheat stuff like solar panels but make them create more power. Other buildings would need to be protected via doors.

As for meteors i`d love to see meteor fields randomly wander around the starmap. Astronomer dupes would have to analaze each one to predict it`s movement. When one gets near a planetoid it will cause periodic meteor storms for the time it`s near. It could be also mined by rockets which could reduce the intensity.

A while ago there was an idea for a monster that would consist of a bunch of tiles that are super hard to dig out (highest level digging required) and would grow out towards your base (the growing branches would be a bit easier to mine) then it would start stealing your resources and blocking parts of the base. You`d need to keep digging out parts of it to get rid of it.

45 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

As for meteors i`d love to see meteor fields randomly wander around the starmap. Astronomer dupes would have to analaze each one to predict it`s movement. When one gets near a planetoid it will cause periodic meteor storms for the time it`s near. It could be also mined by rockets which could reduce the intensity.

Can we just plant a nuclear bomb and destroy it? (Sounds like the movie.)

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

As for meteors i`d love to see meteor fields randomly wander around the starmap. Astronomer dupes would have to analaze each one to predict it`s movement. When one gets near a planetoid it will cause periodic meteor storms for the time it`s near. It could be also mined by rockets which could reduce the intensity

I had a similar thing on my wishlist.  Rogue planetoids that pass through the system.  They would move through the system so you would need to spot them, and carefully plan an intercept, then the race is on to land and mine out some rare resources before it gets too far away and the dupe becomes stranded.  One of the most exciting parts of SO for me is landing on a new planetoid for the first time - this would be a good way to reexperience it in an established save.  Moving around the system means you would be encouraged to have some dupes and bases on distant planetoids to detect and intercept more quickly, and would be a great way introduce some rare resources that require taking a risk to acquire.

What is the purpose of a threat when you have a proper way to deal with it.

Also, what is the purpose of a threat when you DON'T have a proper way to deal with it.

As i can see you mastered the game a long long time ago .... If you still want to play, create some challenges for yourself.

100% agreed on the topic that things in the game are predictable and experienced player can follow optimal buildorder that makes things repetitive and more boring than they should be.

However, applying chaos should be done carefully. Simple random event that kills your dupes or buildings wouldn't be fun in the end, it would be either annoing things that only slows you down or frustration trigger that makes you quit the game.

One way to properly adjust balance of those would be adding difficulty setting option - that worked really well for suit durability. People who loved the idea can play with even more difficult settings, people who hate the idea as boring and tidious can turn it off. It seems that diseases could be next in line for similar settings - if you want easier game turn them off, if you want fear the death - max it out.

Another way to make things challenging but not punish players too much would be adding positive events locked behind some task. Like side quests given you by your dupes. Failing the quest could trigger dupe's stress reaction - little spicey, but not game-crashing - but what's more important it would deny you rewards. When quest appeared, player would need to drop everything to complete it in time to receive cool prize, there would be a challenge to complete, but your base wouldn't burn down in case of failure.

Yet another way would be to encourage players to take the risk for some bonus effect. Radiation is the good example - it can kill you, but you are willing to take the risk to get more research/power/mutated plants.  Zombie spores are the opposite side of the spectrum - yes, they are severe, but nothing stops players from ignoring it by quick sporechid removal. Klei, give us more encouragement to play with fire!

10 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I think it would be great as a new DLC add-on for Vanilla and Spaced Out :-D

I was thinking the same thing. I really hope Klei finds it economically viable and content-wise interesting enough to make more DLCs, and a "Cosmic Catastrophes" DLC would certainly be a good idea.

56 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I was thinking the same thing. I really hope Klei finds it economically viable and content-wise interesting enough to make more DLCs, and a "Cosmic Catastrophes" DLC would certainly be a good idea.

Strange times we live in when people would gladly pay to see cosmic catastrophes destroing their buildings and killing their friends

11 minutes ago, pether said:

Strange times we live in when people would gladly pay to see cosmic catastrophes destroing their buildings and killing their friends

That is the advantage of fantasies: you can explore things you would never do in reality. 

When I first thought about this kind of addition to the I viewed it as an optional tweak-able option, like any other in-game condition you can tweak. Also would be interesting that if such dangerous events were ever present, they would be tied to the asteroid. This was a suggestion of mine, and I'm glad many find it interesting too. The only kind of danger I would very much appreciate right now from Klei is a fix in the game diseases, since they are like not like something you need to worry.

I think the perfect disaster to sell the DLC could be fire!

Having to worry about chemical reactions and fires consuming your base could add some very interesting gameplay dynamics, it'd be cool to make your own combustion engine!

Having to worry about smoke and designing airlock shutoffs with irrigated sprinklers to prevent spread of fire could also be fun.

I would love it if every welding job of a dupe, like building a ladder, has a 0.01% chance of starting a fire :black_eyed: The % chance of a fire could vary, depending on the welded and used construction materials. It also could depend on the materials in adjacent tiles of the construction and the types of existing gas, fluids and solids.

Depending on surrounding gas, solids or fluids types the dupes welding could also directly ignite an explosion, which instantly causes multiple tiles to burn and results in lots of spreading fire tiles at once.

Also, it is possible to build a fire sprinkler system with pipes, smoke/fire detectors can be placed, it is possible to place a spark igniter ( electrical operated and broken down buildings also spit sparks ) and there is a new dupe job:

Firefighter :p

image.png.bbff5c11af7c9e2728b4d9ba7428e772.png image.png.7f989284bcd5b62dadf799ccd872eeb8.png

You guys... :lol: I get enough chaos from things like forgetting that Abyssalite debris can transfer a lot of heat to fluids, or that high pressure water can break salt and other soft tiles.  My base had the Great Flood of 836, when my main power plant got flooded because a reservoir with a salt border collapsed.

I've said this before about the need for more "dangerous" and random effects, but the game is still "settling down" because since the dlc was created it was basically made from a sketch and gradually added both new and new content. original to be ported to dlc, so I believe we're still in this transition phase, when it's all settled, chaos is needed.

Just yesterday I was thinking how fun it would be if volcanoes spat out random spurts of carbon dioxide, sulfur, steam and such, to throw a giant monkey wrench in your craftily engineered volcano tamer that relies on perfectly well behaved volcano mechanics.

Archived