Is Wurt an abandoned character?

Even if Wurt has a zilliion bugs, thats just the tip of the iceberg IMO. Her really problem is that she has not a clear direction as a character. She has so many bells and whistles, but she wont excell or struggle at anything. She is supposed to be a Merm but she doesnt even feel like one. (Receives same dialogues as other survivors before feeding them, they wont turn aggressive when Wurt gets hit, etc)

Wetness mechanic and fish affinity were very nice steps. I think going further on her Wetness immunity and giving her more tools to develop in the sea are great ideas to mark a clear path for her. Wether its giving her a real downside or a more noticeable upside.

I love wurt, but pointing out that shes "low priority because no one uses her!" is stupid as hell... Do you know what happens when characters have frustrating bugs? People stop using them, and then all that's left is the the people who are either really dedicated to them or those who figured out solutions. Major issues in design ENCOURAGE people to drop characters they would otherwise really like playing.

I think Wurt's gameplay needs work, but that's not what this thread is about. This is about a selection of long-persisting errors or immensely frustrating things that were not accounted for that have not seen correction in over two years. It is perfectly reasonable to be upset about that, especially on a character you did spend money on (regardless of if free is achievable, she is one of the characters you can purchase directly) and can't fully enjoy due to things not working as intended for two years- these aren't new. People would not have issues with them if they were new. It's solely the fact that things haven't been fixed that have been a long standing frustration with the character.

Shes already a high effort low reward character just by design, and then she also has some really frustrating "quirks" that people are upset haven't really seen any tweaks or fixes. I really do think she needs a bit of a soft-rework overall, but unless that's actually on the table for anytime soon (and isn't something scheduled for years from now) they really do need to take a hot minute to adjust these things somewhat finally. Or at least let people know they have been actively tracking these issues to clear them out all at once or something. 

Regardless of how good you think a character is, at the bare minimum all characters should be kept in as working of a condition as possible. It really does feel like she's been neglected on that aspect. In a game that updates and changes as much as DST does their will ALWAYS be new bugs to fix, constantly. Some of them are more significant than others- I'm sure most of them are more significant than Wurt's hat bugs... but does that really mean that hat bug deserves to never, ever be fixed?

Wurt is a terribly-designed character, out of all the new characters we've gotten, she is the worst designed by a long margin for me. It's not just the bugs that make her terrible to me, the way her entire workset plays now is just horrible in my opinion.

She is the opposite of a pick and swap character in that you have to stay as her if you don't want to make the entire gosh-darn server groan when the Merm King dies and all merms go hostile. On one endless I've seen merm houses placed everywhere by Wurts and it bothers me to no end, I can't really blame the Wurts either! They can't be bothered to stay on the server 24/7 having to feed their king. The Merm King is supposed to be the solution to merms being hostile to non-Wurt characters but it works absolutely horribly as a solution due to the fact you aren't always going to have a Wurt on the server. Not to mention the fact that there is no special interactions between the Merm King and the different types of ocean fish in the game. Oh you got a regular pond fish and a extremely heavy dandy lionfish? The Merm King will give you the same loot table for each.

And then there's winter.

For some god awful reason, someone thought it was an okay idea to completely stop Merm houses from spawning merms, and increase the spawn rate for Guard Merm houses by 12x from 0.5 days, to 6 days.

For 15 days of the 70 day year, you are essentially locked out or extremely limited from all the merm houses you've built.

I can understand some complaints against Walter, another usually disliked character. But I don't think he'll ever compare to the terrible disaster that Wurt is designed as a character.

Here is me hoping that Klei sees all these complaints and suggestions and some day comes up with a solution for her QoL rework that will please every... uhm .. most Wurt players out there and even encourage non Wurt players to try her out.

(I know there are few other characters that need this treatment but this topic is about Wurt specifically so i'm just keeping on topic and in no way suggesting that she needs high priority "fix" over other characters.)

58 minutes ago, Hornete said:

She is the opposite of a pick and swap character in that you have to stay as her if you don't want to make the entire gosh-darn server groan when the Merm King dies and all merms go hostile

i know that for pupbs is asking so much but for private or dedicate but serious players you can bundle a groucho fish glasses to feed the king or hire merms with every character

20 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Being designed poorly is very different from claiming "paid dlc $$$ character DOESN'T WORK AND IS BROKEN"  Which is what I'm calling out.

Nothing about Wurt makes her a higher priority for dev labor.

So what I'm understanding from this is having ongoing bugs that directly negatively impact her core gameplay ongoing for 2 years without a word on if it's even being worked on is not good enough reason to take some issue with how the devs are handling the situation and expect alittle priority over other characters who to my knowledge don't have such bugs? On top of this you seem to mainly be focusing on the fact this is a paid/craftable character as the reason people don't have a right to voice their opinions about this calling it entitlement but are you saying selling a product with a messed up core feature and refusing to atleast acknowledge it for 2 years is ok? People shouldn't atleast expect that much and should be perfectly content instead?

42 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

people don't have a right to voice their opinions

Never said that, but okay.  What I did say what that her being a dlc character doesn't give her automatic priority, and ppl thinking *possibly* spending $6 on a game means they deserve priority are feeling too entitled if they think so.

So uhh I decided to play Wurt again last night to see if there was something I may have missed in my original playing of her, Wurt is OP bugs and all..

Maybe not in Public or Dedicated Servers, but playing alone in Solo worlds she is one of (if not THE) Best characters you can play

She has so many perks that are a bit all over the place but they work well (at least in Solo Play) I’m willing to bet that 99.9% of your Wurt complaints are based on Klei Pubs/Dedicated servers- Which the Xbox platform does not and has never had At ALL..

Now what this means: is there’s a whole platform the game is sold on that isn’t getting this Pub/Dedicated “Worse Wurt Experience” 

Giving Wurt much of anything new to her kit will make her just way too good.. she already has so many perks and one easily manageable downside.

Having Merms lose followership shouldn’t ever be happening when you can literally rehire them with the seeds random birds will drop on screen near you ALL THE DARN TIME..

The only thing I really have a serious problem with Wurt about is the Royal Tapestry/Merm King- The rewards you get from that are TRASH and more importantly… When you have a “King” all Merms in the entire server become PASSIVE (which means they won’t protect you or each other if they’re being attacked) 

Without a elected King they remain HOSTILE and will punch anything that harms Wurt/Them/Steps near their homes.

I would love an ability to be able to command the entire kingdom of Merms to be Offensive/Defensive like Wendy Soothing/Riling Up Abigail.. perhaps as a Button prompt you get when stand NEAR your Royal Tapestry??

If your playing Wurt and Building that Tapestry for a King…. you won’t have a fun time.. but an Army of Hostile Merms makes Wurt one of the Best solo characters you can play.

Not to mention some of her OTHER Perks like being able to hold a pet fish and wear a top hat to completely stop any negative sanity drain from happening to her at all while down in caves.

Being able to reach 100% Wetness in Spring Season and due to her “strong grip” perk not having her tools slip out of her hand when using them.. no negative Sanity drain while Wet..

Shes Good… not Broken- Florp.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So uhh I decided to play Wurt again last night to see if there was something I may have missed in my original playing of her, Wurt is OP bugs and all..

Maybe not in Public or Dedicated Servers, but playing alone in Solo worlds she is one of (if not THE) Best characters you can play

She has so many perks that are a bit all over the place but they work well (at least in Solo Play) I’m willing to bet that 99.9% of your Wurt complaints are based on Klei Pubs/Dedicated servers- Which the Xbox platform does not and has never had At ALL..

Now what this means: is there’s a whole platform the game is sold on that isn’t getting this Pub/Dedicated “Worse Wurt Experience” 

Giving Wurt much of anything new to her kit will make her just way too good.. she already has so many perks and one easily manageable downside.

Having Merms lose followership shouldn’t ever be happening when you can literally rehire them with the seeds random birds will drop on screen near you ALL THE DARN TIME..

The only thing I really have a serious problem with Wurt about is the Royal Tapestry/Merm King- The rewards you get from that are TRASH and more importantly… When you have a “King” all Merms in the entire server become PASSIVE (which means they won’t protect you or each other if they’re being attacked) 

Without a elected King they remain HOSTILE and will punch anything that harms Wurt/Them/Steps near their homes.

If your playing Wurt and Building that Tapestry for a King…. you won’t have a fun time.. but an Army of Hostile Merms makes Wurt one of the Best solo characters you can play.

Not to mention some of her OTHER Perks like being able to hold a pet fish and wear a top hat to completely stop any negative sanity drain from happening to her at all while down in caves.

mike at it again with the "top hat and fish in caves" strat

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Fish and Tophat?

Try Star-Sky + Tam

My favorite combo to never go insane in Caves even when traversing through areas with nightamre lights / fissures.

Just now, ALCRD said:

Fish and Tophat?

Try Star-Sky + Tam

My favorite combo to never go insane in Caves even when traversing through areas with nightamre lights / fissures.

Tam has really ugly skins- I have bought several top hat skins… and yes: I use items purely because I have skins for them..

I bought them, I’ll use them… I don’t care if there’s a superior item, if I paid real money for skins, I’m using my skins. Period.

(which is why I beg Klei every single day for a way to upgrade basic Spears.. they have lots of skins but quickly get outclassed by better weapons)

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

Tam has really ugly skins- I have bought several top hat skins… and yes: I use items purely because I have skins for them..

I bought them, I’ll use them… I don’t care if there’s a superior item, if I paid real money for skins, I’m using my skins. Period.

(which is why I beg Klei every single day for a way to upgrade basic Spears.. they have lots of skins but quickly get outclassed by better weapons)

I love the Tam. Can't stop using it.

On top of big sanity boost it's very durable and stylish (Yea i like it's default look, every character i play eventually turns Scottish.)

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

What if klei made them cost 3× the materials, but they did 1.26× the damage during waxing moons.

12 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Never said that, but okay.  What I did say what that her being a dlc character doesn't give her automatic priority, and ppl thinking *possibly* spending $6 on a game means they deserve priority are entitled to think so.

Well right now the actual game costs $6. So following your logic if there are bugs that negatively affect the base game (and your enjoyment) they shouldn't be a priority to fix, even if it's been 2 years, even if people frequently bring them up and beg for fixes. You would have to be really entitled to ask that the devs at least acknowledge said bugs instead of turning a blind eye...

1 minute ago, Geo95 said:

Well right now the actual game costs $6. So following your logic if there are bugs that negatively affect the base game (and your enjoyment) they shouldn't be a priority to fix, even if it's been 2 years, even if people frequently bring them up and beg for fixes. You would have to be really entitled to ask that the devs at least acknowledge said bugs instead of turning a blind eye...

The actual cost is $6 OR 2700 spools...  Which isn't that much really considering how many skins you can earn a week, the good rate on rare skins, bonus points for update links, etc etc...  Really if you spent money on anything to play this game consider it a donation to Klei, the game is so f2p friendly no one is twisting your arm to buy anything...

3 minutes ago, Geo95 said:

I’m pretty sure they already know the bugs exist, (Klei Devs lurk the forums all over everywhere.. they sometimes even react to peoples posts as a way of letting them know they SEE the posts, but there’s nothing they can “Officially” comment on about them at this time.) And also as I said before: During new game content updates and QoL updates- They actually DO improve old characters.

Webber got Nurse Spiders during his rework and then also got Water spiders with the Water Logged update.

Wormwood got the ability to use the Fertilizers added in Reap What You Sow and the ability to not lose sanity during spring rainfall (along with Wurt)

They do “touch-ups” every now and then- but they’re not going to just halt their planned roadmap to fix issues with Wurt.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Never said that, but okay.  What I did say what that her being a dlc character doesn't give her automatic priority, and ppl thinking *possibly* spending $6 on a game means they deserve priority are feeling too entitled if they think so.

Ok but who specifically said that?

58 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

The actual cost is $6 OR 2700 spools...  Which isn't that much really considering how many skins you can earn a week, the good rate on rare skins, bonus points for update links, etc etc...  Really if you spent money on anything to play this game consider it a donation to Klei, the game is so f2p friendly no one is twisting your arm to buy anything...

This is a character with a broken core mechanic tho doesn't matter how fair it is to unlock it devs will be bashed for a broken character they have no intentions(made known atleast) to fix whether the character is free or not is besides the point but when you add the possibility of earning money off it it may come off as scummy so it's hard to ask someone to not be upset about it also not everyone arguing this point actually paid actual money for her.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Being able to reach 100% Wetness in Spring Season and due to her “strong grip” perk not having her tools slip out of her hand when using them.. no negative Sanity drain while Wet..

How about being immune to wetness and not having your gear efficiency lowered while also giving this to your team I believe there's a character without bugs who does this.

Just gotta hope you travel with only afew merms or remember to feed them on time because sometimes they'll take off at the speed of light never to be seen again.

Your not wrong....if your ignore Webber, Winona, Pigs, and Bunnymen and this is just considering it from a follower stand point.

Based on what you've read how exactly did you come to this conclusion.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would love an ability to be able to command the entire kingdom of Merms to be Offensive/Defensive like Wendy Soothing/Riling Up Abigail.. perhaps as a Button prompt you get when stand NEAR your Royal Tapestry??

If I had a dollar for every time you made a post reminding everyone that you're on console and then coming to wildly inaccurate conclusions I'd be able to refund everyone who bought wurt.

The problem with you doing "testing" is you have a poor grasp of game mechanics and where that is a problem in this specific situation is you don't even understand the bugs we're discussing or why they make wurt significantly less enjoyable to play.

Then how about actually explaining the bugs?? Because minor awkward looking hat placement just isn’t enough- and in fact MANY other characters suffer this same problem

just look at WES and almost all head items, some of them Cover his eyes and look like he’s wearing a blindfold instead..

if the bugs are instead about Merms getting lost in the world after they’ve lost their loyalty then that’s a problem with all Follower A.I. And not just exclusive to Wurt or her Merms.

Give me a very specific WURT ONLY  GAME BREAKING PROBLEM, otherwise- Let Klei do their thing and fix things as they feel the need to fix them.

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Then how about actually explaining the bugs?? Because minor awkward looking hat placement just isn’t enough- and in fact MANY other characters suffer this same problem

just look at WES and almost all head items, some of them Cover his eyes and look like he’s wearing a blindfold instead..

if the bugs are instead about Merms getting lost in the world after they’ve lost their loyalty then that’s a problem with all Follower A.I. And not just exclusive to Wurt or her Merms.

Give me a very specific WURT ONLY  GAME BREAKING PROBLEM, otherwise- Let Klei do their thing and fix things as they feel the need to fix them.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:44 PM, lakhnish said:

Here's your Wurt/follower bugs. I'm missing ~two bugs I want to report (one where merm's mining works differently than merm chopping and maybe the one on Wurt + hats, but Peter has tried to fix that before and it doesn't seem like an easy fix).

Reveal hidden contents

1346424764_wurtbugs.thumb.PNG.785372606da556b4e93828ed9725e886.PNG

10 hours ago, Hornete said:

Wurt is a terribly-designed character, out of all the new characters we've gotten, she is the worst designed by a long margin for me. It's not just the bugs that make her terrible to me, the way her entire workset plays now is just horrible in my opinion.

this is such a scathing critique of Wurt that i do not think like... understands that there is more than one way to play her and her character perks have more than one use, and that...perhaps, like, Wurt is simply Built Different, so to speak??

She is the opposite of a pick and swap character in that you have to stay as her if you don't want to make the entire gosh-darn server groan when the Merm King dies and all merms go hostile.

i just... do not understand this at all... On pubs, Endless Dedicated Servers, servers with a specific group of friends, there is not a single situation i can think of in which the merm king dying would be any more than an inconvenience to wurt, lest the wurt is trolling or is misguidedly placing merm houses literally right on top of base/where the human players are, or right at portal. the concept of "merm king dying means merms go hostile" is only an issue in literally, as you said it,

On one endless I've seen merm houses placed everywhere by Wurts and it bothers me to no end

literally one singular endless server experience  that you have seen in which the wurt was cruddyenough to not mind her merms.

I can't really blame the Wurts either! They can't be bothered to stay on the server 24/7 having to feed their king. The Merm King is supposed to be the solution to merms being hostile to non-Wurt characters but it works absolutely horribly as a solution due to the fact you aren't always going to have a Wurt on the server.

This is because...the merm king isn't solely for keeping merms non-hostile, and it feels dishonest of you to type this as if it is...the merm king's notable perks are that he allows warrior merms to spawn, he buffs wurts stats, and giving you various loot for fish (which Mind you, You can get incredibly easily by killing merms or fishing en masse at shoals). At risk of sounding rude, Did you ever stop to think that as sad as it is that fish don't give you special loot per fish, you could set up a fun thing with wurt where you grab a bunch of inedible-to-wurt fish, and then give it all to the merm king for seeds for growing crops, tentacle spots for growing merms, and kelp just for sanity/food?  It frustrates me that many people will look at a mechanic like the merm king solely from the angle of "this is something to pacify merms!" and then when its not necessarily the best at doing that, they do not even consider the million other things that the merm king does. You get what i mean? This is a sandbox video game, things will have multiple uses with various outcomes depending on how you use it, for a very rough way to put it. To be honest, I expected better from you after having read how much you enjoy the ocean.. :sad:

For some god awful reason, someone thought it was an okay idea to completely stop Merm houses from spawning merms, and increase the spawn rate for Guard Merm houses by 12x from 0.5 days, to 6 days.

For 15 days of the 70 day year, you are essentially locked out or extremely limited from all the merm houses you've built.

This, I can absolutely understand the frustration for. It feels like a needless limitation  on whats already like, fine. Its something that can definitely get in the way of strategies that involve... "harvesting" merms  for better or for worse. In spite of that, I raise you that perhaps Wurt as a character is not completely demolished solely from not necessarily being able to constantly kill off merms 15 days out of 70 days in the year, that perhaps wurt doesn't necessarily need to literally constantly be using merms for bosses/fish recycling, and that perhaps perhaps an effort could be made on wurts part to preserve some leaky shacks  that while don't necessarily produce merms in the winter either, still hold 4 merms each for various gathering/harvesting activities.

But I don't think he'll ever compare to the terrible disaster that Wurt is designed as a character.

this frustrates me because throughout your entire rant about how wurt sucks so badly and is designed so poorly, you never cared to mention how unbelievably convenient it can be to utilize wurt's perks that aren't specifically merm minion related, like how Wurt can use fish unbelievably well, it takes 2 ice breems/sunfish to just...almost completely nullify the respective season they combat, and that is not to be undestated as a Comfy As Hell character perk. Or how Wurt only suffers eventual cold damage from wetness & can jump off of boats for free, leading to only the hottest days of summer bothering her if you just have a boat on hand, and spring being 10x less bad as her. These things may seem small on paper but they are incredible late-game conveniences to a character that already has many perks that help her the most during a stereotypical late game.

2D26BC73-2655-4A8C-8E67-6205CD6A16A6.thumb.jpeg.fa3132a2c91656e5b160d115ead61fff.jpeg

My point is that these bugs aren’t tied exclusively just to Wurt or to Merm follower A.I. Several other mobs are impacted by these so called “Bugs” 

The only thing that is in this list that actually IS tied exclusively to Wurt- Is all the Merms in a entire server becoming passive once a King is elected.. Klei really should add a way for Wurt to interact with the Royal Tapestry to CHOOSE if she wants the entire Kingdom of Merms to be Aggressive or Passive.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My point is that these bugs aren’t tied exclusively just to Wurt or to Merm follower A.I. Several other mobs are impacted by these so called “Bugs” 

You realize that mobs can use the same components as one anther right? 

Like how beefalos and volt goats use the same herd component for them to make herds?

And that a large part of Wurt is to use the follower AI mainly though merms, even if other mobs use the same logic, right?

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

2D26BC73-2655-4A8C-8E67-6205CD6A16A6.thumb.jpeg.fa3132a2c91656e5b160d115ead61fff.jpeg

The only thing that is in this list that actually IS tied exclusively to Wurt- Is all the Merms in a entire server becoming passive once a King is elected.. Klei really should add a way for Wurt to interact with the Royal Tapestry to CHOOSE if she wants the entire Kingdom of Merms to be Aggressive or Passive.

Yet these bugs affect Wurt as a character.

3 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

You realize that mobs can use the same components as one anther right? 

Like how beefalos and volt goats use the same herd component for them to make herds?

And that a large part of Wurt is to use the follower AI mainly though merms, even if other mobs use the same logic, right?

The thing I’m trying to point out, people create these mega bases relying upon that mob A.I. To keep them inside their pins, if Klei suddenly starts changing that behavior: it will also break those farms.

If the majority of Wurts problems are in Mob A.I. And their A.I. Share the same programming with other like minded mobs then Klei will have to add whole new strings of code to the game that separates Merms from the other mobs it shares code with.

Im no game program designer- but even I know that if Klei suddenly makes Merms smart enough to walk around walls and open doors and If Pigs share that same programming- People who once had Werepig farms are going to be in for one nasty Halloween surprise once that update comes out.

Its not a simple problem with a simple solution: which is what other people in this thread have been trying to tell you guys.. and it’s also why I suspect the Klei Devs haven’t chimed into the thread yet.

However… to proclaim Klei is just “sweeping the problems under a rug” is just plain blasphemy- I’ve actually been here long enough to tell when Klei wants to sweep something or Someone under a rug.

They will usually lock &/ or hide the threads from existence.. And that hasn’t happened yet..

so for goodness sake man, have just a little bit of faith?

Archived