What pair of characters would you say have the least synergy?

Maybe Maxwell + Woodie, because apart from the fact Woodie is one of the few characters shown to still actively hate Maxwell, having two characters that specialize in gathering just sounds redundant. Maybe a fighting oriented Woodie would help, but I can't see the duo working.

I mean... I guess Wilson + Anybody Else? 

It's just that Wilson doesn't really... do anything. You could argue the only synergy Wilson has is maybe making one less winter hat (because of his beard) if the group is somehow low on resources?

Either that, or WX-78 who actively impedes everyone else by eating gears, though he does have that singular synergy with Wickerbottom.

10 minutes ago, CodexCorporis said:

Maybe Maxwell + Woodie, because apart from the fact Woodie is one of the few characters shown to still actively hate Maxwell, having two characters that specialize in gathering just sounds redundant. Maybe a fighting oriented Woodie would help, but I can't see the duo working.

Well tbf, Maxwell could get rocks while Woodie gets wood.

11 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I mean... I guess Wilson + Anybody Else? 

Wilson has the benefit of very easily making Meat Effigies, one of the more powerful resurrection tools since they actually teleport you to them without you having to fly there manually. Everyone else has to farm Beardlings/lords, and even then beard hair is the more uncommon of three different drops they may have. Also, Willow benefits massively from being able to make an entirely new Bernie with beard hair instead of having to make sewing kits. 
Point being, Wilson isn't a bad pick, since his lack of distinct powers doesn't make him useless, it rather means he has zero downsides. 

14 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Either that, or WX-78 who actively impedes everyone else by eating gears, though he does have that singular synergy with Wickerbottom.

I'm much more inclined to pick this one, since his ravenous cannibalism is a handicap upon everyone else. Wickerbottom making him be a bit faster with "The End is Nigh" isn't enough of a justification for him to essentially sabotage the lives of everyone else, including Ms. Wickerbottom. 

2 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Point being, Wilson isn't a bad pick, since his lack of distinct powers doesn't make him useless, it rather means he has zero downsides. 

Good point about the meat effigies, I totally forgot to include those! I hardly ever see them anymore and I can't believe I didn't make the connection with his beard hair. :eagerness:

Wurt and Webber?

Despite den decoration sets i still seen Merms going after the Spiders if they went too close and that seemed to instantly remove the decoration if spider associated with that den got hit ..provoking an all time war.

5 hours ago, CodexCorporis said:

I respectfully disagree. Of course it depends on the knowledge of the players but Woodie is actually a mediocre gatherer, whereas Maxwell is the best one. Having a Maxwell releases Woodie of wood and rocks gathering, which he’d do slightly faster than the average player anyway, and allows him to focus entirely on moose and Goose activites: bringing avocado bushes/kelp/dragonfruit/glass cutters I the first days, rushing celestial portal (via moon island), start doing pearl’s quests early so they can be finished the first summer with minimum navigation time, locating waterlogged biomes to bring trees and get their protection and figs early, locating the archives and the ruins, and Moose activities which include killing mobs that are easier killed by AOE: Spiders and queens, treeguards, loads of nightmare creatures, monkeys, etc. he can also tank more damage for Maxwell in the early fights, getting the enemies aggro off him. 
Also the combo will make them superior summoners of treeguards (Maxwell passively, and Woodie if he chooses to) which they can use to fight things, or to cover all their living logs needs quickly and abuse that. 

Its actually a pretty strong and fun combo in the right hands.

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

Wurt and Webber

I agree this is a bad synergy, both these characters rely on swarm attacks and chaos, and having both of them, even though it seems powerful on pen and paper, can end up being a huge mess (lag Included.) Also Wurt has little to no benefit out of the trillions of monster meat Webber can get, which adds up to all the meat Wurt brings passively (because killing happens). I mean Webber will never starve for sure, and Wurt will never be lacking of gold, but they can do these things with any other character companion anyway. I guess the Webber player can benefit from the gathering power of the merms but eh, still not worth it IMO. 

As it was mentioned before, WX + most characters except wicker is just not good, but he’s still due for his rework, so it’s probably unfair to tell now.

Walter + Maxwell, or Wanda. I mean they are not a horrible combo, but beyond the initial benefit of Walter’s mapping, with Maxwell they would both rely on fighting on a beefalo, and with Wanda on avoiding damage/staying at range which can be tricky for 2 characters to do, specially against bosses like bee queen. Also as soon as Wanda starts getting quick travel to places, Woby’s usefulness both as a mount and as a chest will decrease. I think in both these cases the problem is that Walter doesn’t really have much going for him to add to the team.

The good thing is that after the reworks there aren’t many bad synergies, as most of the characters are much more versatile.

5 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

and Wurt will never be lacking of gold

What do you mean? Neither Wurt or Webber can amass gold as easily as human characters or Wormwood can. (Cause both can't trade with Pig King)

2 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

What do you mean? Neither Wurt or Webber can amass gold as easily as human characters or Wormwood can.

Wurt is the only one who can't trade with pig king, because her downside has nothing to do with monsters - it's a specific mutual hatred between pigs and merms. Webber can trade with pig king, as can Wortox, and webber's ability to amass eggs with the help of spiders means he can rack up plenty of gold.

I also disagree with @ShadowDuelist on wurt not having use for monster meat - eggs are actually a nice way to increase the potency of a berry to a fistfull of jam, turning the normally 12.5 hunger berry into a 37.5 hunger dish at the cost of a very disposable 3 monster meats.

Wigfrid and Wormwood from firsthand experience.

The latter creates tons of food the latter cannot directly benefit from

Apart from armor, helmets and combat, which can be handled by any other average character (slightly less efficiently) the former has nothing to directly offer the latter. I suppose songs, especially the vamp song, are useful, so thats a point against mine i guess.

10 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

What do you mean? Neither Wurt or Webber can amass gold as easily as human characters or Wormwood can. (Cause both can't trade with Pig King)

Weeber can trade. All monster characters can, wurt is the exception and not because she is a monster, she isnt since she is a merm, but for lore reasons

9 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

eggs are actually a nice way to increase the potency of a berry to a fistfull of jam, turning the normally 12.5 hunger berry into a 37.5 hunger dish at the cost of a very disposable 3 monster meats.

True but Wurt can gather her own monster meat in tons as well by passively leaving merms together with spiders. Also you can get eggs from killing your own merm warriors and turning the frog legs, they will respawn super fast regardless. I mean I just see the extra meat from webber being redundant just as filler.

I suppose they can use all that to make gunpowder and rush some boss fights, but the Nitre usage goes against webber getting spitters, and also the two characters that have specialized raid boss killing powers, blowing up raid bosses, also sounds meh.

7 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Apart from armor, helmets and combat, which can be handled by any other average character (slightly less efficiently) the former has nothing to directly offer the latter. I suppose songs, especially the vamp song, are useful, so thats a point against mine i guess.

This whole point is why Wormwood + Wigfrid is a good combo. Plus him being able to get Living Logs whenever he desires is great for Dark Sword spam.

Also the average Wigfrid player will just eat Meatballs all day so Wormwood gives good Meatball filler for her.

6 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Wigfrid and Wormwood from firsthand experience.

The latter creates tons of food the latter cannot directly benefit from

But wigfrid songs helps wormwood having to waste less resources for healing during combats

And wormwood's armor helps wigfrids that play holding F x)

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Weeber can trade. All monster characters can, wurt is the exception and not because she is a monster, she isnt since she is a merm, but for lore reasons

18 minutes ago, Masked Koopa said:

Wurt is the only one who can't trade with pig king, because her downside has nothing to do with monsters - it's a specific mutual hatred between pigs and merms. Webber can trade with pig king, as can Wortox, and webber's ability to amass eggs with the help of spiders means he can rack up plenty of gold.

What the actual ... It works fine now was that changed recently or is this because of Hallowed Nights?

Cause i distinctly remember trying to trade a Gnome to Pig King as Webber and he was like "Nuh uh!" when i clicked "give"

16 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

This whole point is why Wormwood + Wigfrid is a good combo. Plus him being able to get Living Logs whenever he desires is great for Dark Sword spam.

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

But wigfrid songs helps wormwood having to waste less resources for healing during combats

And wormwood's armor helps wigfrids that play holding F x)

Fair points, though i suppose the latter applies to most characters, the fact that Wig is a combat char should be another point against my argument

16 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

Also the average Wigfrid player will just eat Meatballs all day so Wormwood gives good Meatball filler for her.

apart from there being other accessible sources of meatball filler (e.g. Ice, Berries) it still stings to see 60 potential hp from Tomatoes and Potatoes all used as meatball filler. easily the modt painful part of my run lmao neither of us could benefit fully from my giant crops.

I suppose what i really am trying to emphasize is that Wig doesnt benefit from Womwood's biggest team synergy (crops) as much as any other character does, bar Wanda.

Now that I mention it, Wanda and Wormwood should be a worse synergy......?

Fair points, though i suppose the latter applies to most characters, the fact that Wig is a combat char should be another point against my argument

apart from there being other accessible sources of meatball filler (e.g. Ice, Berries) it still stings to see 60 potential hp from Tomatoes and Potatoes all used as meatball filler. easily the modt painful part of my run lmao neither of us could benefit fully from my giant crops.

I suppose what i really am trying to emphasize is that Wig doesnt benefit from Womwood's biggest team synergy (crops) as much as any other character does, bar Wanda.

You are right. We are being picky

Wormwood+wig, even when there could be some good psinergies, isnt as worth or fun as many other combinations

Totally xD

Actually wanda doesnt offer much psinergies. She is just useful because of her perks more than potential combos. Kinda like wigfrid or woodie

50 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

True but Wurt can gather her own monster meat in tons as well by passively leaving merms together with spiders. Also you can get eggs from killing your own merm warriors and turning the frog legs, they will respawn super fast regardless. I mean I just see the extra meat from webber being redundant just as filler.

I suppose they can use all that to make gunpowder and rush some boss fights, but the Nitre usage goes against webber getting spitters, and also the two characters that have specialized raid boss killing powers, blowing up raid bosses, also sounds meh.

Well regarding the nitre - merms also make for excellent petrified tree/boulder miners, so nitre's actually pretty easy to amass.

Pretty sure Wilson synergies well with Willow- as he can passively give her ingredients for Bernie.

Wendy & Wes also synergies well- He deals less damage on average and has trouble managing sanity- Wendy’s ghost gives him a damage boost and top hats/tents for the rest of eternity.. And because Wendy is helping that Wes: He is one less character plucking all the flowers for Sanity so Wendy can instead use them in the Sisturn.

I really can’t think of a single character in the game that doesn’t work well with others- unless they have as obvious of a synergy as Wilson+Willow- You can’t count non-reworked characters because they’re literally a “Yet to be seen Work in Progress”

Archived