Change bee mine cost or mechanics?

It's been forever now how it's existed and barely anyone even bats an eye on that thing on how impractical and COSTLY it is to make it. Unlike a tooth trap - it's one use and costs a whole BOARD to one log to make one of them. 

Their practical use? - Close enough just to being an expensive distraction than anything. It takes costly steps and time to make those for practically nothing when you can just carry some bees in your pocket to feed them and use them whenever you want a distraction.

From the things atop of my head of what it could do - it could summon 4 bees without destroying the bee mine itself, leaving a husk of it while bees go out fighting baddies. As soon as they're done fighting they would return back to the mine and the player could replenish the mine-husk with new bees.

Anyway - discuss.

My guess is the intent behind the item was to be able to place down bees in advance to then have mobs trigger the mine and receive damage from them. Bee mines were already very under utilized in ds, understandably so to be honest. Having to catch 4 bees for a one time use trap is already fairly annoying, but couple that with bees being slow, dealing low damage (on their own) and attempting to kite inbetween attacks and then I think most people can understand why bee mines are almost never used in practise.
Not to mention bees particularly in dst being even less reliable as their attack range is really small.

It's kind of a shame since the bee mine is a really interesting concept for a trap in my eyes that could also be fairly effective, if the trap wasn't so "expensive" to make. 4 Bees attacking something at once has the potential to deal 40 to 30 damage per attack, which is around the damage output of the seasonal hounds (their attack period is the same, but bees kiting could lower it a tiny bit). That damage can really add up if the fight goes on for long enough. But then the trap is used up entirely and if you want to use it again, you need to catch 4 more bees, which means using a bug net. Unless you have a huge surplus of materials needed for a bug net this can eat through your silk, grass and twigs pretty quickly just to reuse a bee mine. Not to mention that should a single bee of the batch die, you will need to go out of your way to catch a bee from somewhere else entirely, which is even more annoying.

There are probably dozens of ways the bee mine could be looked at and updated for players to find some more enjoyment in using it, but that's probably best saved for the feedback and suggestions forum.

uhh i hope beemine is like reuseable trap that will generate new killer bees after some cooldown .. it would be really good distraction for hound wave if far from killbox .. 

maybe add downside if u want pick the bee mine back all the killer bee need to be killed. 
3 days cd would be fine tbh 
make bee mine drop bp randomly from grumble bees ? 

lmao i dont know .. i just wish the item is more flexible to use .. since the skin for it is super cute 

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Outdated items are outdated. Why care when as you said, you can just carry bees if you want to have bees. 

outdated items for an outdated game? kekw

Some items in this game do really need a small rework or something, if they exist then might as well give some bit more use for them.

We got a bee jar skin that exist and it's an elegant which is a bit silly I feel when the item iteself ain't very useful.

45 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

outdated items for an outdated game? kekw

Some items in this game do really need a small rework or something, if they exist then might as well give some bit more use for them.

We got a bee jar skin that exist and it's an elegant which is a bit silly I feel when the item iteself ain't very useful.

There is a ton of "outdated" or "pointless" items

Belt of hunger

Bee mine

Waterballon

Strident trident 

Scale armor

Fire darts

Fire staff

Body slot clothes items

Fireproof falsetto

Klei normally doesnt refresh items like these, and in the last qol we can see that they have no interest in making items more fun to use.

I respect their decision but its just a damn shame, they would unlock a lot more paths to play instead of what we have now, items that you only craft once and they arent even fun using.

Honestly I think they’re more useful than fang traps as a hound and worm defense, even if the mine disappears, the bees still live, and they aggro on anything that attacks a bee from a fresh mine. They scale very well in moderate and high numbers.

But ultimately they are redundant to any weapon/armor if you regularly murder things.

15 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Belt of hunger

Bee mine

Waterballon

Strident trident 

Scale armor

Fire darts

Fire staff

Body slot clothes items

Fireproof falsetto

Klei normally doesnt refresh items like these, and in the last qol we can see that they have no interest in making items more fun to use.

I respect their decision but its just a damn shame, they would unlock a lot more paths to play instead of what we have now, items that you only craft once and they arent even fun using.

Half of that items are very useful but ok

6 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Without counting the strident trident, none of them are, and be honest, no one uses them for how pointless they are.

Without counting bee mines and fire darts (and even darts are useful for noob players...) all of the listed items have useful uses

Maybe what makes these items is the lack of creativity that their players have when comes to beat the game. If some items isnt used for a youtuber is because is useless...

Edit: i forget to add the falseto from wig to the few trully useless items

ahh bee mine, I only get them from the fallen survivor 

I wish they did a bit more damage, and an easier way to trigger them (A button of sorts?)

But otherwise I feel like changing it would still be redundant due to weapons and armor, you could do a lot more damage in time than a single bee mine that does 15-30 damage per bee because to tanking or just better kiting tactics than the bees (bee suck at kiting) 

And how often do you use bee mines? How often would you after a change? I've only seen bee strat for krabking, but that really is just a lazy way to fight him. I never see any other uses, due to most bosses doing AOE, plus mob mentality of most mobs combined with the low health of the bees, Id say the bees will die in a matter of moments.

So, it would be a nice welcoming change, but a sort of useless one at that...

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Maybe what makes these items is the lack of creativity that their players have when comes to beat the game. If some items isnt used for a youtuber is because is useless...

Or what if they are just useless, no one uses belt of hunger but not because "some youtuber" doesnt uses it, its just because its bad, i dont see what you are trying to say here.

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

all of the listed items have useful uses

No, they dont. Maybe you use them but you have to recognise they are not good.

6 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

and then they start attackin you because you were closer

they will land(float?) first, that time u can just go back to another boat and they will wake up attacking crabking 

done that cheese alot . never happen to me 
but probably we do different cheese 

:3 ididnt do anything to ck killerbee do all my dirty works

58 minutes ago, prettynuggets said:

they will land(float?) first that time u can just go back to another boat and they will wake up attacking crabking 

done that cheese alot . never happen to me 

but the thing is killer bees attack in a full bunch at once makin it difficult to even catch them in the first place and not forget it they "spoil" at some point makin it somewhat annoying too alsol placing the mines first and then givin in the last gem to crabking is alsol in a way a more save way of doin it

8 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Or what if they are just useless, no one uses belt of hunger but not because "some youtuber" doesnt uses it, its just because its bad, i dont see what you are trying to say here.

hi, I'm a no one.

BoH is great. Having to eat less means you have to go get less food, which is just super convenient. Food is never an issue, but having to make less of it makes the game more comfortable for sure. Worth sacrificing a backpack for that. 

1 hour ago, Capybara007 said:

Belt of hunger

Bee mine

Waterballon

Strident trident 

Scale armor

Fire darts

Fire staff

Body slot clothes items

Fireproof falsetto

belt for wolfgang 

idk AG or something, otherwise kinda meh

for desperate fire extinguishing and wetting self or others cuz funny

for picking up bottles, clearing sea stacks, destroying unneeded boats

fire stunlock to deal with bee queen's bees

idk no use

idk bishop stun? cheaper than firedarts i guess

pretty useless, true. Well, unless you're fine going around without a backpack and just kinda hang out

that song doesn't exist in my playlist

4 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

BoH is great. Having to eat less means you have to go get less food, which is just super convenient. Food is never an issue, but having to make less of it makes the game more comfortable for sure. Worth sacrificing a backpack for that. 

Depends on situation and character

for trivial use, Its moderate

for Wolfgang its alright

but for other uses and sacrificing your chest slot, its not that worth it (depending on your current situation in game of course)

4 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

hi, I'm a no one.

Seriously, Belt of Hunger is amazing. Food isnt a challenge of course, but it makes it so much less annoying with lower hunger drain. Add the fun cap with it and it's even more great. More than half hunger drain cut in half is nothing to scoff at, and it's something I always really like going for if I'm playing Walter or Warly.

Scale armor and other body clothing items in general I like too.

So uhh.. I can create bee boxes in my base, why can’t (much like upgrading or shaving Webber’s dens) I just take an empty bee-mine to one of these to replenish its Bees?

Instead of having to create a new bee mine- Just make them able to be refilled at a controlled honey producing Beebox with new bee’s.

I will use these to kill Walter for telling the same annoying hook hand story every night at the camp cookouts.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I will use these to kill Walter for telling the same annoying hook hand story every night at the camp cookouts.

"Wait you weren't supposed to know that yet, let me start over..." - Walter the annoying child with a bee allergy for some reason

Archived