Change bee mine cost or mechanics?

Just now, Nettalie said:

I dont know about you, but my swamps often just have sacks lying around due to mobs attacking mosquitos. Not just that, but being able to fill them on a pond without any upcost is pretty solid. And you mentioning the craft recipe only makes waterballoons sound better because you can literally double the amount you get out of your sacks.

Watering can is the same, but with more uses and cheaper, the excuse of "you have to move to use it" is dumb

Just now, Nettalie said:

Also this is false. They don't have more than 50 uses, in fact they have even less at only 40 per watering can. Granted a waterfowl can has 160, but that requires a malbatross bill.

Compare that to the 4 uses of waterballon, per craft

I think you guys lost the topic of this thread somewhere a long time ago…

my opinion on Water Balloons is they would be more effective (yes even for console players) if you can hold in the throw button to determine how FAR you throw the Water Balloon, or at the very least: let you target lock things to have the game auto throw it there.

As far as BEE MINES go- I can put literal STACKS of Bee’s inside a bundling wrap, and the crafting of these items just aren’t worth it..

Now as far as my suggestion on how to Improve Bee Mines: Let them be refillable with Bees by just going to a Beebox (the type you put in your base to produce honey) and put some new bees over into it.

OR wear the highly useless beekeepers hat to do the same thing to naturally spawning bee nests by just walking up to it and much like upgrading Webber’s den or shaving it- tapping over on the D-Pad to gather Bees. (Maybe as a downside it could also prevent the Beebox from producing honey for a few days)

I ALSO Think instead of them being stationary planted Mines… (and assuming Water Balloons get reworked) they should be THROWABLES instead of placed traps 

I mean.. even Winona’s skin for it looks like it should be some type of Ninja Grenade.

Just now, Capybara007 said:

Watering can is the same, but with more uses and cheaper, the excuse of "you have to move to use it" is dumb

Moving up to the fire and playing a somewhat long extinguish animation can be pretty bad in certain situations, but you have not once actually replied to that at all and instead only focus on the moving part exclusively. Again, using a watering can while being chased by fire hounds is not a good idea.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I ALSO Think instead of them being stationary planted Mines… (and assuming Water Balloons get reworked) they should be THROWABLES instead of placed traps 

Hey that actually sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Just now, Nettalie said:

Moving up to the fire and playing a somewhat long extinguish animation can be pretty bad in certain situations, but you have not once actually replied to that at all and instead only focus on the moving part exclusively. Again, using a watering can while being chased by fire hounds is not a good idea.

First, watering the fire from the hounds is a bad idea even for waterballon, just fight them somewhere where nothing burns

Second, you need 20 sacks and 10 ice to make 40 ballons, for the can you just need ropes and wood, plus you can reload

3 minutes ago, Nettalie said:

Hey that actually sounds like a pretty cool idea.

I don’t deserve credit for that, I’m pretty sure Klei plans to update lots of weapons and maybe even combat as a whole for this game and what I do is I look at their Official art work- Because that is how KLEI imagines their worlds, their biomes, and their characters to play..

I feel like they COLOSSALLY missed the mark on Wigfrids Rework- Klei official art shes seen always engaged in battle there is even one seen from the forge vigenettes where she is leading the charge against enemy mobs by leaping through the air spear first.

Now as far as I know- Klei may have plans to make me Eat My Own Words and this upcoming Wolfgang Rework will give him that exact kind of team interaction with Wigfrid.. 

But since that’s yet to be seen- we can only go off Klei’s official vignettes and art work.

And for the Bee-Mine in Particular- It looks like a throwable grenade both the default skin and the skin for it look like they weren’t meant to be placed mines, but instead hand thrown projectiles.

Water balloons are good cause they are fast and rapid, quicker to extinguish more things but they take charges and more preparation to make them.

Watering cans are reliable but slow, they'll do the job well but requires you to be close to fire.

In conclusion: you're all wrong and bad at the game - get a damn luxury fan fan with a watering can. If things are going to hell - might as well do water balloons.

now - let's talk about bee mines

Yes let’s talk about Bee-Mines that’s what the topic of the thread is about.. I can put multiple stacks of bees in a WinterFeast bundle wrap, Bee Mines suck.

Now.. let’s come up with ways to make them NOT Suck.. being a thrown projectile would be tons of fun, having it hold more bees would be even more fun, and being refillable like watering cans would be max levels of fun.

Unfortunately that all ties into how Awful Water Balloons are on an Xbox Controller, so that would have to be reworked before throwable Bee-Mines can be exciting.

But mostly I want Bee Mines to not suck.. I might would actually buy skins for them if they were made more fun.

The End.

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Come to think of it.. in my entire time playing this game online with others I have not ONCE seen other players use Water Balloons or for that matter even the actual Topic of this thread- Bee Mines.

If that’s not a massive indicator that they are BOTH Bad Items… then I don’t know what else would be.

The reason is that, people usually don't bother with these sort of shenanigans, since there are already better ways to counter certain phenomena / mobs. I do agree that bee mines are just too expensive to make, and not really have any particular usefulness in day-to-day survival.

3 hours ago, Nettalie said:

By that logic the time it takes to refill the watering can isn't worth it because with mosquito sacks, you can just gather them on the side whenever you grab reeds from the marsh and fill them right there, while with a watering can you have to go all the way to a pond and then back when you could be doing something else.

In my longest played world there are two swamp ponds close to the main base and they are typically littered with mosquito sacks. As you mention, it doesn't take long to pick them up once in a while (when there are more than > 10, in one go) and fill them from the pond. I definitely deem it worth it. There is little reason or need to spend time fetching ice from the fridge to get more water balloons. I totally agree that it can be considered a nice added bonus.

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

this is hilarious. A cheap item that stops fires and can stack up to 20. If i need to explain why this items isnt useful im not surprise that you dont see good uses in the other items

I mean why would you ever use it over alternatives other than specific cases worth not mentioning you seem to have low standards when something is considered useful and not just meh

9 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

First, watering the fire from the hounds is a bad idea even for waterballon, just fight them somewhere where nothing burns

Second, you need 20 sacks and 10 ice to make 40 ballons, for the can you just need ropes and wood, plus you can reload

1) Do you play this game in multiplayer? Even if you fight hounds somewhere safe, other players might not. "Just fight them somewhere when nothing burns" is out of your control.
2) You don't have to craft the balloons, in fact you don't have to prototype them. The game offers them to you on a silver plate. I usually walk past the swamp before summer lategame hits, so i just fill up the sacks lying there. It's usually enough for situational fire extinguishing.

Funny story: Just last week i saved the base from a griefer. He was running around our base and putting things on fire. The server had no kick nor rollback option, so i was just hopelessly putting out the fires he made. I was lucky i had the balloons on me, because i was able to put it out quicker AND I wasn't taking any damage putting out the fire, while the griefer did. I did ran out of the balloons, but then the whole base wasn't on fire so I could just follow the griefer and use a watering can and ice flingo. And while it was unexpected, i managed to save the base & with it the whole ~day 80 world, because the griefer burnt to death :lol:. I managed to save everything except a single crock pot.

20211005103826_1.thumb.jpg.c8755028ea58de6e04aa97f0946e3fa1.jpg

20211005104027_1.thumb.jpg.1458bbe742b1050b75f77f13ef3058bb.jpg

20211005104255_1.thumb.jpg.144c561b3ab6ecab33d37576e7aa1ce0.jpg

So when you say that water balloons are bad or maybe even worthless item, I remember my experience when this "bad" item saved the whole pub world for another 20 days worth of nice experiences with other players. There are not many items - not even tier 2 ruins items, that can do that.

And also, this "bad" item gave me one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in DST ever.

12 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

There is a ton of "outdated" or "pointless" items

Belt of hunger

Bee mine

Waterballon

Strident trident 

Scale armor

Fire darts

Fire staff

Body slot clothes items

Fireproof falsetto

Klei normally doesnt refresh items like these, and in the last qol we can see that they have no interest in making items more fun to use.

I respect their decision but its just a damn shame, they would unlock a lot more paths to play instead of what we have now, items that you only craft once and they arent even fun using.

Belt of Hunger is actually pretty good, sitting in caves and just farming NF fuel it was my go to cause I was just smacking shadows

Bee Mine is kinda boring, but anything to cheese Krab king is pretty cool

Waterballoon is fine tbh, it's fast and is the only use for those mosquito sacs besides 8 health

Idk how to feel about strident trident, It's def way to expensive though...

Scale armor is cool in concept, but because of the way fire works against enemies, it's pretty bad

^

Fires from range are cool (If you don't use a controller lmao)

Body slots are underutilized and I wish people would see the use in things like the raincoat(100 wetness resistance btw!) and belt of hunger

I have no words for how bad the Fireproof Falsetto is. None.

26 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

Body slots are underutilized and I wish people would see the use in things like the raincoat

I always use a raincoat, myself. I don't need the extra inventory slots a backpack gives, and I like being able to wear a tam and hold a walking cane while also being both waterproof and lightningproof.

On topic, I may have never once even crafted a bee mine. If they got changed to be more useful, I'd be curious to try them out.

Archived