How do YOU deal with hounds late game?

Curious to see how more experienced players deal with late game hound waves. Of course there is the tooth trap and beefalo methods. Part of my curiosity is me looking for a low maintenance way to deal with hound waves in my later game. Tooth traps would be a much better method imo if they had more than 10 uses.

1 minute ago, RoseAppraiser said:

Bush hat and dragonfly, bring light/healing/food/insulation as season demands

Never heard of this one. Interesting. This is the reason i made this thread to see things like this. I imagine this often depends on base location and how quickly you can reach dfly with your bush hat.

I just deal with them as how head-on combat expects you to. Even if it's the 500th time.

abuse road speed bonus, blue hounds and red hounds.

If everything goes wrong keep running forever and eventually they'll lose interest.

ornery beefalo with a glossamer saddle and just kite them when im away from base. easy and free 

at base i have 6-9 bramble traps that take care of late game hordes. i group the hounds up before running them into the brambles, requires very few traps that way. 

with weapons with +50 damage and always having armor on hand. Bone armor helps alot since you can hit for free 1 time before they stunlock you

if im near base i usually plant few anennemies to help me that would be replaced for few eye turrets (well that is the plan, the reallity is that i always let it for later and never build it...)

1-2 uses of a Weather Pain. The first use kills the majority of the hounds, particularly the Elemental Hounds, The 2nd one gets most of what the 1st one missed. Any straggles are one hit with a decent weapon.

With the Weather Pain, you're not forced to stay near your base where your tooth traps are but rather you can deal with hounds anywhere on the map (so long as it's not on a boat).

1 minute ago, lakhnish said:

1-2 uses of a Weather Pain. The first use kills the majority of the hounds, particularly the Elemental Hounds, The 2nd one gets most of what the 1st one missed. Any straggles are one hit with a decent weapon.

With the Weather Pain, you're not forced to stay near your base where your tooth traps are but rather you can deal with hounds anywhere on the map (so long as it's not on a boat).

Been binge watching your content recently. Still going through all the twitch vods lol. If you didnt have weather pains what other methods would you consider? Thanks for the response.

I'd say tooth traps. With enough grass and logs, you can have 50 of them pretty early on. Later, you can add a houndius shootius (protect it). However, that still requires you to stay close to your base. I'm intrigued by laknish's weather pain method.

4 minutes ago, filipsperl said:

I'd say tooth traps. With enough grass and logs, you can have 50 of them pretty early on. Later, you can add a houndius shootius (protect it). However, that still requires you to stay close to your base. I'm intrigued by laknish's weather pain method.

As am i. Yet i still wonder if there is a method like pig/bunny men that is a greater one time cost but doesn't require any maintenance. What would be the best way to protect a houndius? Statues?

I like the weather pain idea as it doesnt matter where you are and only takes a single inventory slot. But ideally if im at base, id have an option that would save uses on the weather pain.

2 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

As am i. Yet i still wonder if there is a method like pig/bunny men that is a greater one time cost but doesn't require any maintenance. What would be the best way to protect a houndius? Statues?

I like the weather pain idea as it doesnt matter where you are and only takes a single inventory slot. But ideally if im at base, id have an option that would save uses on the weather pain.

Yeah, protect the shootius with statues and don't let it aggro on bosses.

I don't like reseting the traps either, but at least you don't pick them up when you hold space.

I've never tried pig traps, as I usually play with wortox, but it might be a good idea. I guess you'll need about 15 houses for the later waves. Or maybe you can have more and make a few werepigs from the survivors. I'll try that in my future Wanda run.

3 minutes ago, filipsperl said:

I don't like reseting the traps either, but at least you don't pick them up when you hold space.

I've never tried pig traps, as I usually play with wortox, but it might be a good idea. I guess you'll need about 15 houses for the later waves. Or maybe you can have more and make a few werepigs from the survivors. I'll try that in my future Wanda run.

I was thinking maybe 5 pig and 5 bunny. That way there is even more protection during dusk/night and I can always help.

Since lakhnish's weather pain idea was so interesting im curious to see what method besides weather pain they would consider.

2 minutes ago, filipsperl said:

You actually only need 5- 8 houses (if you're contributing) and its my preferred method. The pigs either gang up on one hound and kill it or they distract enough of them for you to kill them. 

Wanda doesn't even need a flingo as she can ditch them somewhere by quickly teleporting back to base and then come back with an a few pigs/bunnymen.

5 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

I was thinking maybe 5 pig and 5 bunny. That way there is even more protection during dusk/night and I can always help.

That might be too little. Bunnymen are good for non-stop protection, but I hate them because they aggro when you have meat. But I guess you can have a fridge nearby.

Two more advantages in using toothtraps - they won't break under clops and they don't burn ;)

27 minutes ago, filipsperl said:

I'm intrigued by laknish's weather pain method.

Here's an example of me using it here. I learnt the technique from Clwnbaby, who doesn't play DST anymore.

37 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

If you didnt have weather pains what other methods would you consider? Thanks for the response.

It sometimes depends on the distribution of the elemental hounds and how fast the hounds come (all at once or trickle in).

If there are some Ice Hounds I can safely kill, I kill those and it'll freeze all the regular hounds for easy picking. Fire hounds do something similar where the hounds will panic in the fire and take damage, also making it for easier pickings.

If I have speed boosts available (cane + magi +road), you can kite the hounds but it takes longer.

Otherwise, mobs like Beefalos or Killer Bees are good for defense too.

Don has some tips for hound waves as well here.

Archived