Is it possible to kill crab king with only bugnets? The answer may shock you.

Alright, we've all wondered this at some point. Is it possible to kill Max Health Crab King in vanilla* DST by only using one attacker and bugnets, without the usage of console commands? Yes. You may now stop reading.

For those of you still determined enough to press onward with me into this, good luck, and here's how YOU can kill crab king (with only nets, one person attacking, and an ungodly amount of players)

*Vanilla includes client side mods, including those that can increase player limit. For the purpose of this theorem, I'm going to assume 100 player limit.

Character Composition

We're going to either need 1 Wolfgang/Wigfrid since their damage multipliers are great. Wolfgang exceeds at pure damage while Wigfrid can use Weaponized Warble to make the most of the bugnets. I'd suggest Wolfgang since you're going to be spoon-feeding him spiced food anyway, which we'll need 3-10 Warlys for optimum cooking.

1-2 Wormwoods, 3 Wickerbottoms and 3 Maxwell will do wonders on farming, getting the required grass and twigs for the unholy amount of nets you will be crafting, along with getting wood.

1-70 Webbers will help with silk, meat, and healing. No, that's not a typo, the more silk beards are growing, the better, and you will need a ton of spider dens.

3 Winonas for the fastest crafting of nets and boat kits, which either 5 Woodies or 3 Maxwells can deal with.

3 Wendys to cover frog legs, honey, and butterfly wings, which will be used as meat and filler (and as an attempt to help feed the gigantic team you have solely for the purpose of killing this one goddamn boss)

3 constantly overcharged WX78s to ferry items back and forth between a boat bridge to crab king and the main area where all the things are being made.

2 Wurts to optimize getting reeds from the reed trap that you will have to have for wickerbottoms books and if you don't have this you might as well start over and the rest of the wurts in the swamp, as well as to help chop the ungodly amount of trees required for this. Any bit helps.

This totals out to 100 after my quick maths. If you have 100 people, this is the team comp to go with probably ive never killed crab king like this, yes, i know im a loser.

World Generation Settings

Winters feast for discount bundling wrap, Large world (dude just trust me you're going to want a large world), multiple regenerations for Crab King close to land for optimum effenciency as well as a reed trap in the same world and a NASA supercomputer to run all of this.

Yes, this is all well and good, but how do I, a humble Wolfgang player, kill crab king with only one attacker and using only bugnets?

Hold CTRL+F. Keep placing boat kits before your current one breaks. Keep eating spiced VGCF along with any sanity foods you might need. Keep using a dwarf caller staff (it's not a weapon) to negate freezing.

Begin praying.

Yeah, but I have a life. How do I, someone with a life and without 100 friends, kill the guy?

Get one sea strider as webber, pack a bunch of food and logs, and wait for your spider to whittle down CKs health as you boat kit around while holding a bug net. You're doing it "with" a bug net, and there is only one attacker, so that seems like a W to me.

Math in the replies.

6 hours ago, kuroite said:

Yeah but how long the fight will last ? That's the important number i want to see !

It doesn’t matter, you set it up and go to sleep.

Spoiler

And call a friend to stop playing competitive CSGO and come do the next best thing: keep your idle character in a boat fed for hours.

Spoiler

You can also task your friend to do the math for you, if she or he is into math stuff.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

The forums' quality of posts is going up (up-up & awaaaay) by each passing day ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, this tends to happen between content updates: I think it’s kind of funny to be honest.. what kind of crazy wacky threads pop up here and there. Everyone’s just sort of waiting for Klei to do their thing..

Alright, so given that you can give CK a total of 11 red gems using the Pearl's Pearl, and since every red gem increases Crab King's health by an arbitrary amount, I'm going to resort to the wiki to get the max health of 95,000. Our damage modifier is 2 * 2.5 * 1.2 for Mighty Wolfgang, VGCF, and chili flakes respectively. This leads to an x6 damage multiplier if we are in a spring rainstorm. If we are not, our multiplier is a more humble x3.6

Using the bugnet's damage of 4.25, and multiplying it by our damage multipliers, we get 15.3 damage per hit if we are not in a rainstorm, and 25.5 damage per hit if we are. 

Dividing out the numbers gives us a whopping 6209 hits needed to kill Crab King when he is not wet, and 3725 hits if he's not.

think you attack twice in every second, but if I'm wrong it would be grand if someone could correct me. 

Given the attack speed of 2 per second, we get 30.6 damage per second from the bug net when CK is not wet, and 51 DPS if he is. This leads to an egregious 3725 AND A HALF SECONDS to kill this boss when he is not wet, and a slightly less disgusting 1863 seconds given CK being wet the whole time.

This, of course, does not account for eating, placing new boats, getting frozen, summoning dwarf stars, or bugnet breakage and reequipping.

Regardless of all that, with this setup, CK takes 1 hour and 2 minutes to kill if he is not wet the whole time, and 31 minutes if he is.

Since every in game day is 8 minutes, this is 7.75 in game days to kill when not wet, and 3.875 in game days to kill him if he is. That's not even a seasons worth of time.

You do have to be there for all of it, though, to eat, attack, light up the area, and keep changing (or repairing) the boat.

BUT WAIT!

There's ANOTHER aspect of this I don't even want to think about: Crab King can self heal. This is an absolutely horrifying fact and it means that real-time, it could take more than a day to kill him. If it's even possible in the first place!

I will leave you with this terrifying thought, and vanish into the night.

Special thanks to Klei Fourms for restoring my post every time I went to check my math on a calculator, saved me a lot of time.

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

now do one about 9 pearled crab king

I hate you forever.

527,000 health.

God damnit.

15.3 DPH (damage per hit) when he is not wet, and 25.5 DPH when he is.

DPS of 30.6 when dry, 51 when wet.

34,444 hits needed when dry, 20,666 hits needed when wet.

At 10 hits per bug net, we need 3,445 bug nets to kill him when he's dry, and 2,067 bug nets when he's wet.

This calculates out to 6,890 silk, 13,780 twigs, and 10,335 grass required to kill him when he's dry. When he's wet, it's 4,134 silk, 8,268 twigs, and 6,201 grass.

For the amount of time to deplete this guy's health pool, you'll need to clear your day, because this god damn crab takes 17,222 seconds, otherwise known as ALMOST FIVE  GOD FORSAKEN HOURS spent SOLELY on hitting this crab with bug nets.

But good news! When he's wet, this only takes 10,333 seconds, which, in layman's terms, translates to 2.87 hours, just shy of a clean 3.

This, of course, does not account for the fact that it is probably actually genuinely IMPOSSIBLE to kill him, due to the healing. Even disregarding this, the time it would take to kill him when factoring in the freeze stunlock would probably bump this up to maybe a month in real time.

I hate crab king. 

Archived