Any tips on how to introduce new players to the game?

Dont saturate your friend with info

Let him experience stuff

I usually only guide them with questions like "do you have armor? did you checked your stats?, do you prefer exploring, fighting sailing?" And then proceed to guide them with the activitie they want.

I try to avoid crafting them things so they get used to craft it

If is a 0h player i just join with him in a world and only help answering their questions, sometimes with a "try and see" so they experience as much as possible how to figure out how to survive 

One thing I’ve noticed is that what you NEED to do if you want your friends to not quit the game in frustration is to at least explain the In’s & Out’s of the characters and their abilities.

Its OKAY to learn things at your own pace (I enjoy that most about the game) but- it would also be super helpful if your friend knew things like: dropping their Teddy bear on the ground when low on Sanity and playing as Willow will cause him to grow large and kill those pesky shadows for you.

Your friends are NEW to the game and likely haven’t watched any YouTube videos or guides right? So small things like that- would help both YOU and that friend better enjoy the game TOGETHER- Maybe tell them they can use that lighter they have for more then just being feared as a base burning griefer like instantly cooking foods without needing to build a campfire to cook them over would help too.

But as far as giving them a step by step guide on what to do, how to do it, where to get food sources how to catch animals or fish or etc- maybe let them discover all that for themselves..

But knowing the BASICS of the character they choose to play as would be helpful.

I remember that when I was first dragged into the game along with several friends, the one who attracted us, and who at that time was the only one who knew anything about the game... Well, he told us WHAT to do, but he didn't tell us WHY. And because of this, much of the game remained unclear and his advice made little sense. The simplest thing is that he said not to go to the swamp, never and under no circumstances. But he didn't say that there were tentacles there, and that the real thing you should't do in a swamp is to stand still if you're not sure that this place is safe. As a result, almost everyone died there, trying to pick up each other's things from the same tentacle. What I want to say is that if a beginner doesn't understand the reasons, then even if your advice is effective, they are unlikely to listen to it, and at the same time they will most likely be afraid to try something different, something that you, as a mentor, didn't tell them about, because they simply doesn't yet know that this is a possible option in the game.

It's not necessary to explain everything in great detail, many will argue that this is against the genre, but if a beginner has questions, answer them, and not just "do this, because I already know this game and I said so". This doesn't add to their understanding. If you advise to find and fight with a certain mob, tell how a drop from it will be useful. If you advise to build something - again, give a reason to build it. Otherwise, they will not have their own motivation to do it, except that you said that it is necessary. And sometimes they may not even realize that this is optional. 

Also, it depends on the type of player. Some people, like me, like to read everything about the game that is possible before trying it themselves. While one of my friends, on the contrary, likes to dive into games completely blind and appreciates when they are intuitive. It depends on the person, and you should find out where your friend is on this spectrum in order to understand how much advice to give them. Some may be interested after watching the review, some - the gameplay, some - after a full-fledged trip to the wiki. And some people just need to be thrown into the world and see after which death they will begin to understand at least something.

But even so, DST is not friendly to those who don't know anything about it at all, so first you can explain the basic mechanics - darkness, sanity, hunger, crockpot, armor, kiting in battle, seasonal conditions, character abilities. It seems like a minimum, to make a first impression about the game. And then see how it goes.

Try to pick a character for them that suits their playstyle, give them a general goal such as "explore, and pick up grass, twigs and flint" 

Let them experience the game as they please, and just give them some small tips, or answer any questions they ask.

I recommend doing all of that on a Wilderness Mode world. In that, if he dies he will instantly be able to choose a different character and respawn at a random spot on the map.

So no need for you to keep reviving him, and no need for him to keep waiting for you as a ghost. Plus, spawning at a random spot is pretty fun!

Wilderness mode is so good for new players that I wish it either didn't have a scary name for newbies or that it was straight up recommended by the game if it was your first time playing.

1 hour ago, sinisterrkid said:

I recommend doing all of that on a Wilderness Mode world. In that, if he dies he will intantly be able to choose a different character and respawn at a random spot on the map.

So no need for you to keep reviving him, and no need for him to keep waiting for you as a ghost. Plus, spawning at a random spot is pretty fun!

Wilderness mode is so good for new players that I wish it either didn't have a scary name for newbies or that it was straight up recommended by the game if it was your first time playing.

I use wilderness mode for PvP.. killing people and respawning somewhere random after being killed, best way to play if you want to straight up PVP, me and my friends even come up with our own “Elimination” mode where- once we die as a character we can’t re-pick them and we go through the entire list till the last man standing.

Yes we get bored when most the map itself has no hostile mobs to fight. :lol:

I highly recommend Endless- personally I have bladder problems and have to go pee like every 30-45 minutes and without a pause button: PEEING IS DEADLY!!

But on Endless- you at least get to experience becoming a ghost, and/or getting revived as a ghost/being able to revive others who are a ghost.

so it teaches importance behind things like Touchstones, Telltale Heart or Wanda’s new Second Chance Clock.

Now if only I could get noobs who keep dying to freaking stop floating away from me while I’m trying to use Wanda’s revival clock on them… ffs!

(I was in a game last night where they kept trying to “haunt” tell-tale hearts to revive themselves.. yeah um, I don’t think that works.)

If your friend dies, drop what you are doing and revive them right away. The least fun thing to do as a new player is float around frustrated while your experienced friend is doing "more important things".

Also, carry a compass with you both. Being able to find each other on the map is really important for new players who may not know where important landmarks are.

If you are hosting the game I suggest endless.  You are the host so you can make the base at the portal. They can revive themselves at the portal without your help.  Autumn is easy they will learn how to craft. You can explore the world get them a map. I just suggest you do not play on a public server until they have survived the whole year.  Good luck.  

Lot of good tips in this thread. I would add that picking Wes so you can give them balloons and run around with balloons in your hand is also very important. Make sure it's cool balloons like the bunnyman and hound. Don't get lame balloons like the circle one.

If your a complete jerk like me: You could tell you best friend that using a hammer on the gigantic beehive gives endless free Honey.

(technically it does… but it also does something else if you get too greedy :lol:)

Or you could tell them to stand on the bubbling spot in a swamp biome and something cool and unexpected will happen.

Hey- don’t judge me my friends know I was just goofing off with them! I call it Revenge for them telling me I can hold a grenade in my hand as long as I want to to line up the throwing arch in a shooter -_- 

But.. make sure your friend also doesn’t get annoyed with your playful antics either- it’s fun watching them die in funny noob-ish ways.. as long as they’re enjoying the experience.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

If your a complete jerk like me: You could tell you best friend that using a hammer on the gigantic beehive gives endless free Honey.

(technically it does… but it also does something else if you get too greedy :lol:).

Ask them first if they know about the greedy cup, if they do/don't give them a hammer and say "hammer that beehive, it gives honey with no danger".

Then flee as soon as they see the consequences of their actions, remember to bring a telltale heart.

Archived