The Wolfgang Rework coming in December!

Another thing we have to take into account is Harsh crippling downsides are going pretty much obsolete with each rework- So it’s not entirely out of the question that “Puny” Wolfgang will completely get the Axe and he will only have his Normal and Mighty forms left.

And in THAT Scenario he would absolutely have to take a nerf/balance somewhere.

Klei’s intentions with these reworks were to make the characters easier to pick up and play as and enjoy without their downsides becoming complete “turn always” from playing the Character-

Case in Point Wendy still HAS a Downside but it really only comes into play when you are careless enough to get Abigail killed.

Willow still has a downside but it’s negated by keeping Bernie’s in stock.

Not to mention Wes’s blackhole of a stomach got the Axe when he got his refresh.

So as an example: Maybe Wolfgang can be Mighty on a 75-50% full stomach.. but he would also need to do strongman tasks to keep his strength up or something.

@Blaze- I don’t want to be rude, but based on what you’ve said about Wolfgang you really don’t understand how he works well enough to make the claims you’ve made.

I’ve been playing Wolfgang since October of 2012, and I want him actually reworked.  Not just given the Wigfrid treatment.

His hunger drain is *not* a significant downside for a moderately skilled player.  Passive food generation options are plentiful, and if you grab a belt of hunger the maximum hunger drain is only 1.8x

Moderately skilled Wolfgangs *do* stay mighty all the time because it’s easy to do so and the speed boost is worth it.

Wolfgang doesn’t just have high damage, high health, and a speed boost, he can also get up to 100% bonus from healing items (closer to 50% in practice) by taking damage while fully mighty and healing in wimpy (or more realistically normal) form.

Yes, other than the speed his only perks are combat related, but combat is the hardest part of the game.  Surviving indefinitely is a lot easier than taking down all the raid bosses in terms of knowledge and skill.

However, his gameplay is not remotely unique and he is generally considered to be boring but powerful.

That’s why on the front page of this thread my rework mod for him was linked, I put a lot of time toning down his base stats and making him more interesting and fun.

I’m not sure what Klei has planned, but he currently doesn’t have any significant downsides, his gameplay is very bland, and he has a lot of potential to be a lot more fun.

I’ll start off by admitting I don’t like Wolfgang, and besides trying him out during rework, I may not play him out much after (this may change depending on the quality of the rework, of course)

That said, for someone like me (if there are any others) it would be more interesting if he got new utility perks that could benefit the other non-wolfgangs.

EG:

- Tossing heavy objects, like sculptures, giant crops or fig tree seeds, at an area causing a big AOE that stuns smaller enemies. If anyone knows the asterix comics, it would be much like Obelix style.
Maybe even tossing allied pigs/bunnymen/merms too (who wouldn’t like to yeet a pigman at spiders?)

- Tossing other players across rivers or cave gaps, allowing them to also deal a smaller AOE stun damage when they land.

- Rowing much stronger and faster, as it was mentioned before

- Maybe being able to move on his own, already placed structures? Like misplaced crock pots or alchemy engines.

- Giving CrossFit lessons to the other survivors.

Just now, Well-met said:

but is this really necessary anymore now that rowing is a dozen times more powerful now

True.

But It may be a just a smaller buff, like remember after the first boat mechanic improvement patch and for a little while rowing was better than sails? Maybe only for Wolfgang it could still be like that.

I really hope we get more circus-related abilities. Imagine the potential! Juggling torches, lifting massive weights, being launched out of cannons through rings of fire, etc. I’m not sure exactly how these concepts could be incorporated into the gameplay, but there’s so much to work with to make Wolfgang more unique and enjoyable. if Wolfgang goes back to his circus roots and doesn’t just have his combat abilities tweaked to be slightly worse, this may be one of the best reworks yet.

22 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Something like being able to Merm-Punch boulders with his bare fists While in Mighty Form

Okay if Wolfgang needs to work out and maintain his mighty form with something more interesting than 'Fud gud', then I extra want to see this because the image of Wolfgang punching a boulder in half is not only hilarious but would actually be a legit useful perk. As long as Mighty isn't mighty easy to maintain, I'm all for Mighty becoming even more useful. 

But that's the big thing with Wolfgang. I'd like him to be more interesting. Right now he is very, very boring. Implementing his phobias, the idea of needing to work out, adding other strength-related things like carrying heavy stuff and cracking rocks with fists, all sound much more interesting than just stuff face and kill things.

Which is why I'm excited to see his rework, despite knowing how much the forums are going to RAGE no matter what happens. I just wanna see what happens.

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Case in Point Wendy still HAS a Downside but it really only comes into play when you are careless enough to get Abigail killed.

Gonna be honest, as someone who's played Wendy since around 2017? This isn't really true anymore.

As it stands, Abby- Especially with the sisturn- Recovers very fast. And it may be just me, but the damage downside hardly makes a difference when you're good enough at kiting. Abigail will likely be recovered enough to deal with things again in a few seconds, especially if you come prepared and have the healing potion for her.

I mean, I personally will not complain with seeing my favorite character be performing so well, but I personally find her to be pretty powerful, almost as much as what people say the Big Three are. 

4 hours ago, goblinball said:

What is this, Resident Evil?

Sorry I don’t quite get this reference.. I’m only suggesting it based on what the mobs in the game already do, Particularly Wurts Merm Followers- They chop trees AND Mine Rocks with their bare hands.

Taking Wanda as an example- I love how Klei made her gameplay even further unique by having Catcoons try to attack her and steal away her Shiny Clocks- That is absolutely ADORABLE..

And when it comes to Wolfgang- His compendium description reads as- Becomes Mighty, Has a Myriad of Phobias.

I think an Interesting Phobia for him would be “Fear of lack of Strength” meaning- He is a MAJOR Show-off wanting to show What all he can do with just his BARE-HANDS.

Buff his Bare-Hand damage to be better than most weapons completely obsoleting the need for simple tools or weapons like Axe, Pickaxe, Shovel, Spear, Hambat etc..  in fact I would even Opt for the removal of allowing him to craft or hold any of those items… 

Why? You have a Muscle bound Meathead who wants to proudly show off his physical prowess “I am Mighty there is no one who is Mightier!” Not only does this change up Wolfgang’s Gameplay beyond just Combat- but imagine all the flint Wolfgang can just leave laying around everywhere for someone else who actually NEEDS it.

Like I said I would even advocate to have him punch HARDER doing MORE DAMAGE if Klei would turn him into the classic definition of a Tank character from SMITE- Moves Slightly Slower, but has Higher Health and Damage.

Why did he even need a speed buff to begin with?? 

Currently the big guy has nothing unique or interesting about him and that’s a Shame I genuinely WANT to like Wolfgang.. but looking at all the Klei vignettes, artwork etc- Wolfgang’s a Muscle Bound Scaredy Cat & that needs to show in his Gameplay SOMEWHERE.. Even if it something completely stupid and Irrelevant like “Fear of Cactus” He won’t pick Desert cactus because he doesn’t want to be poked.

The TL:DR- If Catcoons STEAL Wanda’s Watches, the Big Guy needs more he can do with his Raw Strength and some mobs or Content that his gameplay plays differently towards.

Archived