Taffy... useless... or no?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like taffy as a dish?

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

then what was the point of making a thread if you aren't open to discussion

YoU cAmE uP wItH LiKe 10 ReAsOnS oN wHy I sHoUlD uSe TaFfY

But I wasn't convinced

Just now, Friendly Grass said:

I am confused. Are you just saying that you personally don't like taffy? Or that it is objectively a useless dish? Or that those two things go hand in hand (you not liking it means it's useless)?

It's useless, because there is a ton of better sanity foods

Just now, ShadowQueen said:

Cuz cactus can't be beaten

It's such a good sanity food!

yet i gave reasons why taffy is better such as

1.can be farmed anywhere
2.should already be making bee boxes due to honey being one of the best food sources
3.is faster to gather honey and make some taffy than gather cactus

6 minutes ago, Dextops said:

yet i gave reasons why taffy is better such as

1.can be farmed anywhere
2.should already be making bee boxes due to honey being one of the best food sources
3.is faster to gather honey and make some taffy than gather cactus

Why would you want to eat a food that lowers your health when you literally can get the same amount of hunger and sanity back from eating cooked cacti? When you harvest it with a helmet, it costs only 1 hp, when cooked, it restores that 1 hp you lost. And making a lot of dishes is wasting time when you could straight up make a campfire and cook all of your cactus without spamming left click! Plus, taffy takes 40 flippin seconds to cook it!

It's easy and quick, there's no reason to want taffy, even as Wigfrid, she can kill easy mobs for sanity restoration, for Wormwood it must seem better due to him not being able to lose health from food, but he ALSO doesn't have to waste time cooking because of his husks which make you take 0 damage from picking cacti, although you will have to lose 20 health to make a husk unless you're using living logs from the world, like treeguards and totally normal trees

2 minutes ago, ShadowQueen said:

Why would you want to eat a food that lowers your health when you literally can get the same amount of hunger and sanity back from eating cooked cacti? When you harvest it with a helmet, it costs only 1 hp, when cooked, it restores that 1 hp you lost. And making a lot of dishes is wasting time when you could straight up make a campfire and cook all of your cactus without spamming left click! Plus, taffy takes 40 flippin seconds to cook it!

losing 3 health isn't close to the end of the world and you are able to cook more dishes at once and picking cactus uses up durability which i'd rather not do

3 minutes ago, ShadowQueen said:

It's easy and quick

its also nonrelocatable and nonrenewable

1 minute ago, ShadowQueen said:

How is it non-renewable? Cactus is available year-round while honey can't be farmed in winter, there's another reason!

non renewable-if something happens to it like burnt or ect its gone forever
not being accessible in winter doesn't matter when you already have a surplus of it

1 hour ago, ShadowQueen said:

A. You lose three health. For comparison, eating a piece of honey (which if you are making taffy, you likely have an excess of), restores 3 health. You can offset the downside by swapping the 4th piece of honey for a twig and eating the 4th piece by itself instead.

B. Taffy actually restores a fair amount of hunger, at 25. If you are eating an additional honey to offset the HP loss, you essentially restore 34.375 hunger, which is fairly good at keeping you fed.

C. Cactus is biome exclusive. If you are at the opposite end of both deserts, you are likely not going to walk all the way to one to pick up some cactus for sanity.

D. It does take a long time to cook, but you also are not limited to one crock pot to cook it in. I’m not saying you should make 40 crockpots to binge make a stack of taffy, but getting 5-6 crock pots will significantly boost your cooking speed to a reasonable level for dishes like taffy.

E. Taffy has a respectable shelf life at 15 days, while cactus only has 10. Considering foods that go stale will void the sanity bonus entirely, it’s important for a sanity food to stay fresh for as long as possible, which taffy provides.

1 hour ago, ShadowQueen said:

Cactus is available year-round while honey can't be farmed in winter, there's another reason!

While you can’t farm honey during winter, bees also won’t come out to attack you when harvesting the honey during winter. It’s actually pretty nice if you have a large apiary consisting of 40+ beeboxes, as harvesting in other seasons means you constantly get harassed by bees. In fact, because honey has an exceptional shelf life of 40 days (which is boosted to 80 in an icebox!) it’s actually entirely possible to just harvest once per year during winter and never return until the next winter.

Taffy is good for when you have multiple players, especially less skilled ones. The fact it's so braindead easy to get, the recipe is so easy to remember as a newbie, and the sanity regen, it's a perfect dish for those that haven't quite cracked fighting sanity monsters. I usually make a bunch (Also because there's nothing else to use honey on) and let people pick at it when their sanity runs low, otherwise they shred my tents to pieces.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:47 PM, Masked Koopa said:

It's alright if you need sanity as wigfrid for FW.

Maybe you should use jelly salad? because you have that honey and Lureplants are easily accessible 

On 8/31/2021 at 10:00 PM, LinknAllie said:

I mean,  if you have an overabundance of honey what are you gonna use it on?

food, especially for exploration

honey is used for better things, such as honey ham, good healing and hunger food

Since big meat isn't hard to farm (honey isn't either), I love that dish, I'd prefer making a stack of honey ham than a stack of taffy when I could gather cacti instead for easy sanity.

Sure! It takes the same amount of time to cook as taffy, but honey ham is always my go to, and it's an efficient hunger/health food for Wolfgang during boss fights, and it's also best being used by pretty much every other character (except wurt)

7 hours ago, Grim the said:

Just eat one honey and you negate the -3 HP from the taffy 

True, but same goes for cacti, when picking it with armor, you only take -1 hp, then cook it, then it restores the health you lost

You really think I want to wait 40 seconds for one taffy when I can get a stack of cooked cacti in less than 30 (when cooking it, it doesn't take 30 seconds to gather)

8 hours ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Wigfridge can't eat cactus. As Wigfrid main, can I say, that cactus is useless?

yes, if you are a wigfrid main, it doesn't matter, but for other characters it's a bit useless

Archived