Wanda, who is she? Theory

With the release of the waterlogged update, Klei revealed the shadow of a new DLC character called Wanda.There was a lot of discussion and theories around her, but I also want to suggest who this character might be.

1318799597_DST_Wanda_Silhouette(1).png.7802a8a1a7679d552f50c9d9657225b2.png 

There were many theories about what she is holding in her hand and the most similar to the truth, I think, is the theory from Dr. Medic. The thing she holds in her hand is very similar to a pocket watch. (Picture by Dr. Medic).image.png.3ad55187f1a076c43a547f6b2cd88b29.thumb.png.a636b0387a97e79ded765628117f99b2.png 

This suggests that she may have something to do with time. Maybe she will be able to slow down the day or increase the speed of some things. But I would like to pay your attention to her glasses. Notice that they are too big for her. We saw similar glasses at Robert Wagstaff. But how could they end up with her? First of all, we know that not only Wagstaff wore these glasses, they can be found in the short film "Along Came A Spider" on Webber's father's desk. This could indicate that she may have the same glasses mechanics as Wagstaff.

2021-08-20_17-09-43.png.ad01b248ff19ab8c001104648cafe6a1.png863812326_DST_Wanda_Silhouette(1).png.094908f0d81d03f0bb882749641f4156.png

If the watch she is holding really has the ability, this may indicate that she either knows Wagstaff or watch was made by Wagstaff, in any case, this watch and glasses can connect Wanda and Wagstaff. Let's talk about the character canon, how she could get into Constant. It sounds strange, but I still think that the character in the short film "Next of Kin" that got into the portal before Winona is not Wagstaff. Let's talk first why it's not Wagstaff. In the Hamlet Roadmap it is said that Wagstaff got where he wanted to go, the character in the portal, on the contrary, is trying to escape from the portal. From the quotes of Wagstaff, it can be understood that he did not get there by chance, he studies Constant itself, the physics of this world and the creatures that live there. Most likely from this portal he got a spider for Webber's father.

107103078_2021-08-20(8).thumb.png.f2114a1f9a059b3e7d3dd1702a58efda.png 

And after Wagstaff appears in Constant in the form of a hologram because the portal was destroyed and it is only able to get to another world in this way. If you look closely at Wanda's height and hairstyle, you will notice that she is very similar to the silhouette in the portal. 25058852_2021-08-20(7).thumb.png.a9b8ebb3cb824c7d2bd9c844df13c55a.png219093344_2021-08-20(7).thumb.png.1bf1aebb79e685dda5eddfa7ebc9a407.png

If you remember that she has a strange watch and maybe glasses like Wagstaff, then that she got into the portal is not surprising. Moreover, the silhouette in the portal is in no way similar to Wagstaff. However, even before Wanda was announced, Jeff Aglan published a raw animation a long time ago with the note "Winona tries to save Wagstaff from being sucked into a portal of his own design. Rough animation done in Adobe Animate." In the first place, this does not mean that Klei cannot change their minds. Secondly, Jeff is an artist and Creative Director, most likely she does not come up with a plot, she, like everyone else, most likely simply assumed that the drawn silhouette in the short film she drew is Wagstaff. However, the glove can also contradict this. There are two gloves on the silhouette, although one was accidentally taken by Winona. However, characters in the game cannot have two different hands, separating the texture of the character using ktools, we will notice that only one folder with the hand files appears, and when creating the animation, the second hand has the same texture as the first, only turned to the other side. In the canon, this can be explained by the fact that Winona got into the portal with the glove, and Wanda then accidentally find it in Constant.  1872411374_2021-08-20(9).thumb.png.d47132dffffdbf3b824963db99b4c6fa.png

If she's related to Wagstaff, which would be interesting, she could be his wife, or his daughter (There were a couple of fan sketches that show that she may not be an old lady. I mean wearing glasses is not an old lady thing), or a more common theme around the game, his sister (perhaps even twin sister).

Spoiler

I doubt they would go all the way to make it so it's his time travelling mother, but eh.. who knows...

Part of me is saying now is the perfect time for a character related to Wagstaff since he's in the spotlight, but the other half is saying we already have WX-78 and Winona so ehhh?

I'm curious to see where Wanda goes either way.

3 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

the frikin devs confirmed the figure in the portal was wagstaff, please stop saying it wasnt

but to be fair that shadow REALY dont anything like wagstaff at all alsol wagstaff dont have yellow gloves alsol if thats realy is wagstaff then why does he look like he trys to get out of the portal? like wagstaff wanted to go there so why is he holding trying not to go there?

12 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

but to be fair that shadow REALY dont anything like wagstaff at all alsol wagstaff dont have yellow gloves alsol if thats realy is wagstaff then why does he look like he trys to get out of the portal? like wagstaff wanted to go there so why is he holding trying not to go there?

yet, it was confirmed by someone in the dev team, and no one else has said its not, so theres no reason for us to think they lied

14 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

yet, it was confirmed by someone in the dev team, and no one else has said its not, so theres no reason for us to think they lied

I'm personally going to believe it's Wagstaff until proven otherwise, however at the same time I would not be surprised if it's been changed.

14 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

if thats realy is wagstaff then why does he look like he trys to get out of the portal? like wagstaff wanted to go there so why is he holding trying not to go there?

Maybe he was taken to the Constant by force or he didn't planned to go there yet.

4 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Maybe he was taken to the Constant by force or he didn't planned to go there yet.

My theory on why he fought to stay is pretty simple:
He didn't expect to be pulled in. 

He built the portal on purpose, and expected to just walk through. Instead, Charlie welcomed him by harshly pulling him through

51 minutes ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

Моя теория о том, почему он боролся за то, чтобы остаться, довольно проста:
он не ожидал, что его втянут. 

Он специально построил портал и рассчитывал просто пройти через него. Вместо этого Чарли поприветствовал его, жестко вытащив его.

This is also possible. It is possible that during Maxwell's reign, Wagstaff calmly passed through the portal and studied the world, but when Charlie sat on the throne, she unexpectedly pulled him into Constant and destroyed the portal, which is why Wagstaff remained in Constant, and a very long stay in the portal (on the border of our world and Constants) distorted it due to the fact that time in both measures flows in different ways and turned it into what we see now in DST

Okay so what we know as facts- Wagstaff created WX78 to explore the constant with, Wagstaff sold constant Spiders to Webber’s Dad, Wagstaff was playable in DS Solo as a HOLOGRAM and shows up during the Moonstorm event in DST still as Hologram.

So: From that Information we can gather that BEFORE Wagstaff built the portal in Winona’s short and got sucked in by Charlie he had various methods of already going to and exploring the Constant.

So my take away from all that is: WAGSTAFF BAD! (Just Kidding.. Maybe?) But we also know dev team confirmed that Wagstaff is who was pulled into the constant (for real this time) in Winona’s Short.

OR that’s what the Dev team SAYS (they’ve been known to change their minds & throw puzzles at us so I wouldn’t treat them saying it’s him as FACTS)

And here’s my reasoning behind that- IF Wagstaff was yanked in for real during Winona’s Short.. Why is the dude still a flickering Hologram in the current story arch for the game where Klei left us with sort of a “Season Cliff Hanger Ending” to Return of Them??

There are three possible conclusions I could come up with.

1- Winona THOUGHT she saw Wagstaff being pulled in, but What she ACTUALLY saw was WANDA (someone who may have been related to Wagstaff, Wife, Twin Sister.. Maybe even just a willing human participant to go into the portal for him?! Who knows..)

2- Winona DID See Wagstaff get pulled in but it wasn’t the real Wagstaff and was Instead yet another of his Hologram versions of Himself (probably the same one we see now in the Moonstorm event)

Or 3- That really WAS Wagstaff that got yanked in for real this time and he is in the constant SOMEWHERE in his real form while using Holograms of himself in the Moonstorm.

At the END of Winona’s Short the entire factory explodes so anyone who was still within the factory (which includes the real Wagstaff sitting in a monitor room sending his Hologram self into the portal which also accidentally snags Winona..) Did not live to tell the events of what happened.

What I still have not figured out is WINONA’S short shows her fully repair an already exploded portal door, so then.. why once she got into the Constant itself- has she suddenly become too dumb to build herself an exit??

With Winona having ties to Wagstaff, Wagstaff sending holograms of Himself into the constant, Wagstaff building WX78 to further explore the constant and Wagstaff having a lot to do with “accidentally creating” Webber- The guy is starting to sound like the BAD GUY in this Story..

But from the ABOVE FACTS he Had ways of not only sending things Into the constant, (WX78) but also pulling them OUT (Spider in Webber’s Short) 

So why did he need a full scale portal and get himself sucked in for real?? And WHY is he still a Hologram in a Moonstorm right now if he got sucked in for real??

I hope someday Klei clears up all these questions I have with some actual juicy mouth watering lore.

Perhaps Wanda is an employee of Wagstaff's and then one day, her curiosity got the best of her and she got sucked into the Constant, meanwhile grabbing the closest thing to her before she was taken. Which happened to be a customized pocket watch capable of time manipulation, although it's still quite unstable and she'll rely on it for her survival in the Constant, even after she meets the other survivors.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay so what we know as facts- Wagstaff created WX78 to explore the constant with, Wagstaff sold constant Spiders to Webber’s Dad, Wagstaff was playable in DS Solo as a HOLOGRAM and shows up during the Moonstorm event in DST still as Hologram.

Nobody said if exactly he created WX. If we consider the things that were not included in Winona's short film just an understatement, then we can assume that WX was somehow created by Wickerbottom, because it does not have the Voxalo label on it, which is present on all Wagstaff and WX related with Wickerbottom. Possibly WX was found in a burned-out library and was completed by Wagstaff, and then sent to Constant for study, but never returned. Because of this, when meeting Wagstaff, WX is so angry with him.

Spoiler

RWP_229_Conspiracy_Board_Behind_The_Scenes.thumb.png.23270b0c33fe4f47a136d8a07aef4449.png

And here’s my reasoning behind that- IF Wagstaff was yanked in for real during Winona’s Short.. Why is the dude still a flickering Hologram in the current story arch for the game where Klei left us with sort of a “Season Cliff Hanger Ending” to Return of Them??

He also says that everything he does in DST is an experiment. He would hardly have thought about experiments if he had not had a way home. For comparison, quotes from playable characters in DST say more about that they want to go home, Warly has a lot of quotes related to maman, and others often talk about how much they miss different things.

2- Winona DID See Wagstaff get pulled in but it wasn’t the real Wagstaff and was Instead yet another of his Hologram versions of Himself (probably the same one we see now in the Moonstorm event)

That sounds interesting.

What I still have not figured out is WINONA’S short shows her fully repair an already exploded portal door, so then.. why once she got into the Constant itself- has she suddenly become too dumb to build herself an exit??

Wagstaff most likely created the portal anonymously, since the blueprint for the portal only weighs in his office. Winona, as a technician, was able to figure out how to repair a slightly broken portal, but she does not know how exactly Wagstaff created the portal since she did not see the blueprints. Wagstaff also has a poster on his wall with a shadow "Do evil shadow monsters". I'm not sure what it should mean, but Wagstaff clearly knew about the shadows from Constant, which means having information about them, he could build a portal.

Spoiler

RWP_229_Wagstaff_office_wall_texture2.thumb.png.08103eccf0121c1cb3555966509ec344.png1390927935_2021-08-21(2).thumb.png.d2bdc9f8356711553957225e449988f7.png

But from the ABOVE FACTS he Had ways of not only sending things Into the constant, (WX78) but also pulling them OUT (Spider in Webber’s Short) 

I think that he could have used the portal even before the incident with Voxola in 1919. They still had a gap from the day of their founding, perhaps during this period he built a portal and could take a spider from the portal. Wagstaff is the only one to pass through the constructed portal in DS. Wilson got into a portal built differently and was helped in this by Maxwell, who knew enough to help make a working portal, the more that he got with the help of shadow hands, and not directly through the portal. Perhaps the portal was not built correctly by Wagstaff due to lack of information and every time it passes through it, its physical form is distorted. In DS we see a little distorted Wagstaff, but in DST he is already able to even pass through objects.

27 minutes ago, Anthony_L3hr said:

Perhaps Wanda is an employee of Wagstaff's and then one day, her curiosity got the best of her and she got sucked into the Constant, meanwhile grabbing the closest thing to her before she was taken. Which happened to be a customized pocket watch capable of time manipulation, although it's still quite unstable and she'll rely on it for her survival in the Constant, even after she meets the other survivors.

This also seems to be true

WANDA (someone who may have been related to Wagstaff, Wife, Twin Sister.. Maybe even just a willing human participant to go into the portal for him?! Who knows..)

I think she might actually be his sister.

313671371_DST_Wanda_Silhouette(2).png.81be885d2ecf705509278a45d85a9d8e.png

We also need to remember that all DLC characters do not have the same goals as free characters. Wilson, Willow, Warly, Webber and the rest want to go home, while Wortox, Wurt and Wormwood did not appear in our world and it makes no sense for them to get into our world. I think Wanda, like Wagstaff, will be studying Constant rather than trying to get out of there. The division of characters is in such a way that free characters are important for the general and their own lore, and we play DLC characters just to see what kind of survival it is for him in such a world. A good example would be Wortox's quote on Battlemaster Pugna from the game files: "I have no real quest, I'm just here to jest!" Wortox it makes no sense to be in the world of The Forge, but the rest are trying to get into their own world through this world (but they end up in The Gorge)

Maybe because is safer

To me her silhouette looks like an explorer who spent a substantial amount of time in the jungle or other type of wilderness, holding a calabash and donning a fluffy and unkempt haircut. At first glance I was about to disagree about the glasses, but upon closer inspection it looks indeed as if she is holding a  looking glass / monocle / lens between two fingers. xd

The short sleeves and skirt also has some lab assistant vibes. Wanda might have had her whereabouts where it is warm and dry and such attire makes sense (including the high heels), or in a place that wasn't exposed to harsh weather. On a second thought, the latter makes more sense considering the high heels.

Or could the shoes be of any clue? Is it even indoor shoes...? Perhaps it is outdoor footwear with heels.

EDIT:

Of course, you guys (namely @Dr.Medic) were right. Look at this:

image.thumb.png.23efc8c01c2614da04882eba6fdbbe1f.png

'Time' is written in italic. Clocks, pocket watches and other chronometers pertain to time.

Wanda also seems to be wearing protective gloves and an apron. Aprons seems to be one of the classical apparels of watchmakers (although not necessarily - it seems to have differed throughout different periods, or maybe it was worn according to personal preference):

Spoiler

Clock maker busy — restoring, Small Business - Stock Photo | #119162454Clockmaker working in his studio — workwear, caucasian ethnicity - Stock  Photo | #119162010

Clockmaker working in his studio — handmade, england - Stock Photo |  #119161874

(Images from Google)

The lens / loupe also fits. Protective gloves does not seems to have been a 'thing', though, although it feels likely that they could have been used for either protecting the hands of the wearer  (if working with hazardous materials) or the object the wearer was working on (if it was a very delicate piece of equipment or a precision instrument that mustn't be contaminated).

Archived