Since using toilet will purge all rads absolved, there is hardly any situation that will cause radiation sickness.

I have let my duped wear nothing but an atmo suit to clean up a meltdown, and they came back only have mild sickness, which went away after a toilet use(-60). I don't see how a dupe could die from "extreme hazardous" radiation in a normal playthrough.

I my opinion radiation exposure should have some lasting effect, just like the chernobyl incident did to local residents. Something like: decrease athletes or strengh or max vitality FOREVER, that would make the game more chanllenging

7 hours ago, arvenil said:

As a starter maybe using toilet shouldn't lower radiation.  

On the max disease setting, it shouldn't, or should maybe only lower things by like 5 rads/cycle.  I don't actually know how it behaves on max disease. 

Remember folks, you can crank up the difficulty when you start a new game.

3 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

On the max disease setting, it shouldn't, or should maybe only lower things by like 5 rads/cycle.  I don't actually know how it behaves on max disease. 

First of all, there is no disease severity setting. There should be, but there is none. There is only the setting how fast the disease will spread, and it doesn't really fit that category.

But those are just a details. I agree that radiation should be rebalanced before final DLC release. Currently there is little application for the reactor, you make all your research with single wheezewort, and even if you used the reactor you don't really care about the radiation because you will heal in no time.

I agree that the 1st day after radiation release it was a little too hard when it was permanent and single shinebug would kill all your base. But now the sickness is never there, and that is sad :(

4 hours ago, pether said:

Currently there is little application for the reactor

Wrong.  It makes a lot of nuclear waste (about 1 full tile per cycle) which can be compressed in infinite storage to make a decent radbolt source for diamond presses and interplanetary launchers and radbolt engines, or frozen into radioactive tiles for pip planting of mutated seeds.  If you don't like infinite storage, an 8x5 tank of waste can power 4 radbolt generators that in turn feed a diamond press operating about once per cycle.  In my case, I only had 3 wheezeworts on my starting asteroid.  

Literally the only reason I made one was for the waste.

9 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Literally the only reason I made one was for the waste.

That akward moment when the waste has more use than the product ;)

Thanks for the input, I wasn't aware of this strat. But it doesn't change my opinion that the radiation need rebalance in the future

On 8/2/2021 at 12:00 AM, ISS Proxima said:

I my opinion radiation exposure should have some lasting effect, just like the chernobyl incident did to local residents. Something like: decrease athletes or strengh or max vitality FOREVER, that would make the game more chanllenging

Absolutely terrible idea.

The problem isn't that there is no lasting effect, but that it's way too easy to not get any effects ever.

Your idea would only catch noobs off guard, while doing nothing to players who know what they're up against. Basically, trial and error gameplay, which is widely recognized as bad design and just plain unfun.

We don't need worse radiation effects, we need more common radiation sources and effects, reasons to get into the reactor chamber while it's irradiated, reasons to feed certain dupes specifically seafood and have them wear lead suits.

There should be a way to make radiation more dangerous, and I mean significantly more dangerous, not just a little. I suppose someone will eventually create a mod for this if the developers don't (assuming that behavior can be modded into the game).

I feel like this is part of a broader set of problems with the game. (As an aside, I've played around 130 hours, but haven't launched a rocket or seen the end game. I tell you this to let you know that I'm not remotely good at the game, but have played enough that I'm not just firing comments from the hip.)

Stated bluntly, too many things in the game are hidden mechanics problems. Things that are entirely unintuitive, like heat, etc. that cause creeping surprise base deaths in part because the game doesn't really do a good job of explaining the mechanics (and, I believe in some cases, is actually kind of misleading, like with the purpose of aquatuners, tempshift plates, and such).

Meanwhile, and to the point you made on radiation, with other things the game has these big systems in place that feel relatively meaningless. You said it with radiation, and I would add that with disease, effects of gasses, etc.

When I first started out, I spent so much time trying to make sure I wasn't getting food poisoning, slime lung, etc. I was terrified of going into chlorine pockets, etc. I'd set up my base with a med center, sure I would need to be treating upcoming pandemics, etc.

Then I realized they were basically relatively pointless minor debuffs, and really had a pretty minimal effect on everything. 

In my opinion, there's a bit of a Chekov's Gun problem with this game. The game doesn't really do much to tell you about the mechanics that have a giant, outsized effect on the game or the solutions to it (e.g. water conservation, using polluted water for things, heat and the accompanying use of various gasses like hydrogen for cooling, not wasting water on meal lice, tons of little things like that). But meanwhile, it has these big flashy systems in place (disease, radiation) that it is almost screaming at you to pay attention to, only for you to later realize they really don't matter.

The solution to these things, in my opinion, isn't to go all "raaawwwrrrr hardcore!" and make all of the systems unsurvivable. Instead, it would be to put some teeth into the systems that are in place, but also give better in-game descriptions and tutorials, and make fair (and reasonably intuitive) methods to survive them.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, Coolthulhu said:

Absolutely terrible idea.

The problem isn't that there is no lasting effect, but that it's way too easy to not get any effects ever.

Your idea would only catch noobs off guard, while doing nothing to players who know what they're up against. Basically, trial and error gameplay, which is widely recognized as bad design and just plain unfun.

We don't need worse radiation effects, we need more common radiation sources and effects, reasons to get into the reactor chamber while it's irradiated, reasons to feed certain dupes specifically seafood and have them wear lead suits.

I agree that we need to give dupes more reasons to get irradiated.

However the trail and error gameplay is exactly what some of the hardcore players (include me and several of my friends) would liked.

1 hour ago, SlyFrog said:

The solution to these things, in my opinion, isn't to go all "raaawwwrrrr hardcore!" and make all of the systems unsurvivable. Instead, it would be to put some teeth into the systems that are in place, but also give better in-game descriptions and tutorials, and make fair (and reasonably intuitive) methods to survive them.

actually many slightly experienced players would think "(e.g. water conservation, using polluted water for things, heat and the accompanying use of various gasses like hydrogen for cooling, not wasting water on meal lice, tons of little things like that)" aren't that problematic at all.

For instance I would tweak most of the starting difficulty to the highest, even though the game in recent builds feels way too easy compares to that of in early development.

For instance I remember a time we would use ATEN for heat deletion, and the slimelung in highest difficulty could accumulate the infection progress,and would kill dupes if untreated.

To be honest the game then wasn't as "fun" as the current build, obviously because of all the big systems that were added to the game, I just hope those big systems later on would pose some chanllenges.

And, there is a obvious way to ease the game for new players: JUST ADD MORE DIFFICULTY SETTINGS, I WANT THEM ALLLLLLLLLLL MAXed

2 hours ago, helium3 said:

There should be a way to make radiation more dangerous, and I mean significantly more dangerous, not just a little. I suppose someone will eventually create a mod for this if the developers don't (assuming that behavior can be modded into the game).

the mods are there for this

The rad amount seems to be balanced for constant exposure not occasional like it is currently. A single zone og 100+ rads is a "slight hazard" but it won`t do anything unless a dupe is in that zone for like 3 cycles. Passing through it will add 5 rads max which is nothing. Even huge rad events like going inside a reactor room or standing under a radbolt engine will only add 20-30 rads cause the exposure lasts just a few seconds.

Realisitcally radiation sickness should start at 10-20 rads absorbed rather than 100 and second stage should be at like 40 rather than 500. Either that or the current radiation generators should cover 10x times the area so dupes wouldget contaminated from afar. Also consuming stuff contaminated with radiation should add massive amounts of rads to the dupe and being covered with contaminants should spill rads inside the dupe quickly.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:40 AM, Sasza22 said:

The rad amount seems to be balanced for constant exposure not occasional like it is currently. A single zone og 100+ rads is a "slight hazard" but it won`t do anything unless a dupe is in that zone for like 3 cycles. Passing through it will add 5 rads max which is nothing. Even huge rad events like going inside a reactor room or standing under a radbolt engine will only add 20-30 rads cause the exposure lasts just a few seconds.

The current linear scale would work very nicely with large areas of radiation, so that most of the dupe time would be spent in ~10 rad zones. But with tiny, contained spots, it would be better if radiation depended on dupe's current radiation and worked faster if the dupe is clean.

Realisitcally radiation sickness should start at 10-20 rads absorbed rather than 100 and second stage should be at like 40 rather than 500.

One of the problems with radiation is that it is very easy to contain. Having it start hurting more would make the problem even worse, because you would HAVE to contain it, which would still be very easy to do.

Either that or the current radiation generators should cover 10x times the area so dupes wouldget contaminated from afar.

This sounds much better. Radiation would be stopped primarily by terrain rather than distance.

Though it wouldn't work for mobile critters, since moving radiation sources most likely cause lag proportional to the area irradiated by them.

7 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Though it wouldn't work for mobile critters, since moving radiation sources most likely cause lag proportional to the area irradiated by them.

They could rework how critters produce radiation though. Shinbugs aren`t too practical for radiation, maybe they could release it in pulses instead of continous (not sure if that would be less laggy though) or just remove the minisule radiation and move it to later morphs to add more incentive to use them.

As for beetas son`t they release radiaiton when immobile now? I remember some change on them. Radiating only when sleeping (consuming CO2) would make sense for them imo.

I hope this isn't going to be the final version, being left so simple to deal with radiation, same with germs. It makes these aspects of the game boring and almost like they're not even there. The flushing could be % based and only a small amount, like 5% of the rads being disposed of, which would mean that a couple cycles of sitting into radiation your duplicants would start getting radiation sickness.

12 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

I hope this isn't going to be the final version, being left so simple to deal with radiation, same with germs. It makes these aspects of the game boring and almost like they're not even there. The flushing could be % based and only a small amount, like 5% of the rads being disposed of, which would mean that a couple cycles of sitting into radiation your duplicants would start getting radiation sickness.

If radiation is to be buffed, I would like for it to be like this, but perhaps with some kind of "if rads are lower than X, just get rid of them all" rule applied as well. This way, radioactive environments (especially near research reactors) would still prove rather hazardous and warrant the use of lead suits or rad pills, however things like (low levels of) shine bugs or rocketry wouldn't become super cumbersome as a result.

Archived