Things I like about DLC

In order to counteract the pessimistic sounding "I don't like DLC", I'll list things I like about DLC:

• No meteors. This alone is worth a lot. A LOT
  • Space limitations on smaller planetoids, like the resin one. New challenge, without being so extreme you need droppers and other tedious maybe-exploits. I wish there was a mode where all planetoids are of comparable size.
  • Small colonies in general. Those scattered 2 dupe planets with tighter skill requirements are more interesting than one 20+ dupe blob of everything.
  • Sulfur geyser+plants. Amounts are a bit excessive, but I like how it's a food resource that doesn't compete with water in any way. Wish sulfur had more uses so it wouldn't be all food, but it's still something new.
  • Wheezeworts being useful even after aquatuner turbine deletes all heat.
  • Super coolant pushed further away. I don't like the way it is done (every extra planetoid lags my computer), but I like how I had to deal with not having Obviously Best Option and instead had to rely on aquatuning pwater (for "just cool") and ethanol (for "actually cold").
  • Guaranteed geysers. No more disappointment when I roll a chlorine/CO2/pO2/hydrogen slot waster.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:
  • No meteors. This alone is worth a lot. A LOT

not agree with you, i to like meteors. by disable that game feels like too easy and bunker doors is complete useless with bunker tiles

that makes also me fonder why to i even need make metal.

but

i to like the radiation stuff.

i to like the rocket stuff in general

Definitely agreed, especially on sulfur. The geyser just spits out such a ridiculous amount that there's nothing to do with it all and makes dealing with it wonky, but then it just obsoletes all other plant-based food.
I do have a bit of a problem with it though on balance, as it just seems like a no-brainer to use it. Bristle Blossoms especially seem like they're a noob trap for anything but Berry Sludge for rocketry, which is a bit of a problem on Terra, which is supposed to be the easy starting place. Reduce their water requirement a bunch and make them turn some oxygen into carbon dioxide and they might be okay.

Super coolant in my opinion should just be removed and we should get a new low-temperature coolant. Nuclear waste pretty much supplants it for high temperatures...almost, the whole "ejected once a cycle from any container" is very dumb.

I agree with pretty much everything, especially on the first 3 points and the last one.

I have only a couple of personal consideration:
-the grubfruit farming is maybe to powerful. Sulfur is very abbondant on the map and sulfur geysers provide an easy infinite source, grubgrub can give their growth bonus without needing to ranch them, as you can just leave wild sweetle and/or grubgrub and they will, over time, automatically end up in 100% grubgrub at each new reproduction. On top of that grubfruit preserve is super easy to make and provide as much morale as barbeque/cooked fish and spoils more slower.
-I really like supercoolant and other advanced materials, so I would prefer them not pushed too far.

4 hours ago, Nebbie said:

the whole "ejected once a cycle from any container" is very dumb.

Is this an intended mechanic or just a bug? If yes, I agree is very dumb.

I also love the DLC and I would like to add one more reason:

• Duplicants can actually be stressed in DLC and are not 200%  happy 100% of the time

17 minutes ago, Padishar said:

-the grubfruit farming is maybe to powerful. 
[...]
-I really like supercoolant and other advanced materials, so I would prefer them not pushed too far.

So... more difficult early game and easier late game? ...why?

19 minutes ago, Padishar said:

I agree is very dumb.

Nuclear waste is spilling everywhere like it should. They should probably describe it as "unstable" somewhere (and maybe create a way to make it stable?). The "fountain" still works by the way... but buildings get a little damaged now, every time nuclear waste decides to spill.

12 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

Wheezeworts being useful even after aquatuner turbine deletes all heat.

I'd prefer to have radiation-specific plant and leave wheezworts for cooling only. 

I 100% agree with everything else

Funnily enough the list mentions mostly things i don`t like about the dlc.

Can`t say i loved meteors but i hate when tech branches are useless and that`s what happened to bunker doors and tiles in the absence of meteors.

I never actually used all the available space, even in the dlc i find myself not digging up everything.

Wheezeworts being radioactive seem weird. But i guess it works.

Guaranteed geysers are fun but i liked the surprise element.

Anyway enough with the negativity. There is a lot of things i like about the dlc as well:

The multiple planet experience requiring you to redo basic tech on each for your dupes to survive. Also allowing for different approaches to oxygen generation and power production (unless we just rush solar panels everywhere which is a valid strategy too).

Moving dupes to different worlds can cause them to stress out. I didn`t have stress reactions in the base game after earlygame. Now it`s a challenge to keep your skilled dupes unstressed.

Different possible strategies: You can make your main colony a hub and transfer all resources there for refining with minimal crew on other planetoids. You can make each planetoid self sufficient with a healthy crew of dupes and it`s own industry. You can even make a specialized group of dupes that you send for one planetoid to another just to build a base and then send different ones to manage it (trying that approach now).

Finally all the biomes are available in one game. That`s pretty cool.

Space travel despite all it`s current flaws is still more fun than in the base game. I had a few near death scenarios for dupes as well. I know not everybody likes when everything goes wrong and stuff breaks but i like those rare scenarios where the game requires you to find a solution to fix your previous mistakes.

I like the multi planet gameplay, because the mid and early game is the most fun to me, so it's fun to be able to have essentially a new game + version of the early-mid game on new planets, while working on late game stuff on my home planet. 

I also really enjoy the food storage nerf. There are so many interesting builds that can be made to solve the problem, and the C02 pit was way over powered as it was before.

For me the main thing I like about the DLC is it tickles my restartitis itch without actually having to restart, going to a new asteroid is kind of like new game+ where your dupes start with more skills and you can bombard the destination with supplies from other asteroids using the interplanetary asteroid.

What I don't like: lag when many asteroids are colonized. Gets bad even with only 10 duplicants.

29 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Super coolant in my opinion should just be removed and we should get a new low-temperature coolant. Nuclear waste pretty much supplants it for high temperatures...almost, the whole "ejected once a cycle from any container" is very dumb.

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I completely 100% agree. Super coolant is dumb, I don't want a late game reward that makes everything easier, I want a late game reward that enables new hard builds. Give us something which can be used at low temperatures but isn't stupidly OP (seriously there's not need for SHC so high it results in near-unity ST/AT and a liquid range a mile wide is also unnecessary), helium would an obvious choice, helium gas could be made to simply not condense into a liquid (instead staying a gas at -273 K) so it could be used in Thermo Regulators without condensing. We "need" late game power sinks, and expensive cryogenics that uses Thermo Regulators for deep cooling would be one way to achieve this.

1 hour ago, blakemw said:

For me the main thing I like about the DLC is it tickles my restartitis itch without actually having to restart, going to a new asteroid is kind of like new game+ where your dupes start with more skills and you can bombard the destination with supplies from other asteroids using the interplanetary asteroid.

What I don't like: lag when many asteroids are colonized. Gets bad even with only 10 duplicants.

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I completely 100% agree. Super coolant is dumb, I don't want a late game reward that makes everything easier, I want a late game reward that enables new hard builds. Give us something which can be used at low temperatures but isn't stupidly OP (seriously there's not need for SHC so high it results in near-unity ST/AT and a liquid range a mile wide is also unnecessary), helium would an obvious choice, helium gas could be made to simply not condense into a liquid (instead staying a gas at -273 K) so it could be used in Thermo Regulators without condensing. We "need" late game power sinks, and expensive cryogenics that uses Thermo Regulators for deep cooling would be one way to achieve this.

Well, there is a way to use thermoregulators to make liquid hydrogen, it just requires exploiting an intentional thing where 1/10th pipe amount fluids don't phase change (so supercooled hydrogen gas can do the last few degrees for liquid hydrogen). Since this uses the same 120W anyways, it uses much more power per temperature change, as well.

But yes, helium would be nice.

On 7/2/2021 at 2:25 PM, sakura_sk said:

So... more difficult early game and easier late game? ...why?

Well, in my opinion food was a bit more challenging before grubfruit, which made that part of the game maybe more interesting. I am not like I absolutely hate grubfruit though, I just think this type of food is maybe too powerful compared to other source of early and mid-game food.

I don't get why people complain about super coolant being op. It is only twice as much efficient as using water or polluted water in cooling/time, while in comparison an acquatuner is about 15 times more efficient than a thermoregulator. Yes, acquatuner filled with supercoolant are about 10 times more power efficient than using water, but it doesn't really matter to be honest since in mid-late game producing enough power is not an issue at all in oni. For this reason, I use a lot acquatuner filled with pwater in my games, but I would like to have a not too hard access to supercoolant in order to build methane condeser and liquify oxygen and hydrogen. Using thermoregulator to do such things is just too painful in my opinion.

On 7/3/2021 at 4:42 AM, Sasza22 said:

The multiple planet experience requiring you to redo basic tech on each for your dupes to survive.

This is probably the most frustrating part for me. I feel like I spend too much time building things I've already built. I feel like the interplanetary launcher is meant to be the solution for this, but it's so dupe labor intensive to open packages that it doesn't feel quite right for an endgame resource management system.

9 hours ago, troyandabed said:

This is probably the most frustrating part for me. I feel like I spend too much time building things I've already built.

I like it beacause i like the early game where you have to use the basic stuff and got all the freedom to dig and build everywhere without having to consider a large existing base. That`s also the reason i keep starting over and never get to the lategame. Now i can start over without starting over which is cool for me. But i understand some people might not like that.

15 hours ago, 515905_1452787397 said:

This! I've been quitting the game out of lag frustration too often in the DLC. I really sucks the fun out of it :(

I guess lag is a good thing, If it wasn't for rage quitting due to lag, i'd probably be playing ONI instead of going to work. Then again I still have factorio, this game will get big and complex way before it starts to lag. I love game where your brain gives up before your game lags out.

On 7/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, Coolthulhu said:
  • Guaranteed geysers. No more disappointment when I roll a chlorine/CO2/pO2/hydrogen slot waster.

I actually don't like this. At least not when it comes to cool slush and cool salt slush geysers. They dump way too much cold into the world. Yea I know, I can just not use them...but still. I liked the mystery of not knowing what I was going to get and having to adapt my playstyle depending on what was and wasn't on the planetoid.

I really hope meteors are fleshed out and reimplemented, I really enjoy the challenge of dealing with them. I think solar panels are way too powerful right now and make the other power sources with trade-offs and builds irrelevant.

I think all of the power generators have a nice balance where each one up the tech tree gets increasingly more complicated and lead into each other. The coal generator gives a small amount of exhaust and heat generation and runs off of a resource that requires industry to get. The natural gas generator increases the challenge by outputting a lot more exhaust and liquid and it runs off a resource that's harder to manage. Then petroleum generation was the accumulation off all the past challenges, while hydrogen and steam exist to help generate extra power. Right now solar panels have no other challenge except making glass and getting the surface so I think meteors should be reimplemented to give them interesting builds.

12 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

I think meteors should be reimplemented to give them interesting builds.

What was "interesting" in having to build the same setup again and again in order to get them to work and not get destroyed? Now you can choose what your preferred power plant will be and not build a power plant in order to open bunker doors in order to build a power plant. Meteors will not only cripple solar panels but the whole space biome and surface if implemented to all planetoids. New rockets are not destroyed by meteors but rocket platform does.

5 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

What was "interesting" in having to build the same setup again and again in order to get them to work and not get destroyed?

It`s the same as with other power types. Building more generators means repeating the same setup. Less so for coal gens that hardly need any but petrol gens need a place to collect the water so it doesn`t spill all over the base, some CO2 management as they produce a lot and cooling as those things will overheat eventually. It`s not that different from doing a protective setup for solar panels. It`s just that you can`t dealy the protection for solar panels or you will get punished right away.

I think we could get a middle of the road implementation of meteors. Instead of the giant storms we had in the past maybe a mild rain. 5-10 meteors every 4-5 cycles. They might damage your solar panels but you can get lucky where they miss. The surface won`t get trashed every time but protection will be needed after a while.

53 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

you can get lucky where they miss.

My past experience says: meteors specifically target whatever is structured on the surface and miss any empty spots :p

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s not that different from doing a protective setup for solar panels.

But that's my point. It is totally different. You can build generators in cold or hot environment with certain setups and it will work fine. You can ignore heat completely and let an ice biome melt. You cannot build solar without protection (and all the infrastructure surrounding that) and expect it to work fine. The first meteor that hits a solar panel, will overheat it. Even if you just build a row of airflow/mesh tiles and let dupes dig them from time to time, it needs too much micromanagement to do that and also watch all asteroids of DLC.

Also, solar panels are only one aspect. Heat and damage of meteor showers for SO clusters would be devastating. The classic big start cluster could maybe handle it but I don't think the smaller ones would.

I would be happy if the current way, is how meteors will be re-introduced. (spoilery topic here) We are still missing the space scanner though for anything to work during meteor showers.

I love love love rocket platform tech. Late game handling multiple fluids/gasses became a giant pain in the ass prior to rocket storage. But port loaders/unloaders give a great way of scaling storage in a very satisfying way. Previously I would resign myself to an infinite storage glitch, but now even though rocket-less rocket platforms feel a little unintended it actually feels like it should be an explicitly allowed mechanic. Solar power towers might need tweaking though.

image.thumb.png.f47508f20e4f37c89b36056174747dc2.png

6 hours ago, hackcasual said:

I love love love rocket platform tech. Late game handling multiple fluids/gasses became a giant pain in the ass prior to rocket storage. But port loaders/unloaders give a great way of scaling storage in a very satisfying way. Previously I would resign myself to an infinite storage glitch, but now even though rocket-less rocket platforms feel a little unintended it actually feels like it should be an explicitly allowed mechanic. Solar power towers might need tweaking though.

image.thumb.png.f47508f20e4f37c89b36056174747dc2.png

I feel solar panels in general need some balancing. Without the need to build setups capable of protecting the panels they just print electricity and the research to get them isn't that difficult to begin with. Maybe they should produce less power...maybe like 120W per panel or something.

EDIT: and yea, solar towers are a bit ridiculous albeit amazing and hilarious.

Archived