[Oxygen Not Included & Spaced Out! Update] - 469668

• Developer

Hello everyone!

Welcome, one and all! It's a whole new testing branch for both Spaced Out! and the ONI Base Game!

Base Game: The Mergedown is Happening!

There's been a big project going on over in Spaced Out!, to unify the code-bases between the original and Spaced Out! versions of the game. Now on public_testing, both versions of the game will be running on the same code. This mergedown has been a pretty epic process, and this is the second last step before all versions of the game are running on the same code-base. When this update goes live in 2 weeks, mergedown will be complete and everyone will be running on the same code!

For those who haven't been following along with the Spaced Out! forums, here's what's been happening:

While our attention has been mostly on the DLC lately, our desire has always been to improve and evolve the game as a whole. There are a number of changes we've made in Spaced Out which are just general good improvements to the game, or that we had planned for the base game all along but finally got the opportunity to implement during Spaced Out development.

Of course, this includes the many bug fixes and minor improvements we've made during Spaced Out's development, including fixing several major simulation bugs and countless typos. It also means modding should be simplified because there is only one version of the game to mod against.

This patch includes some major code updates, including a new Modding API and an upgraded version of the Unity engine. There will be pains in the short term while mods are updated (please give modders a chance to catch up!) but these will increase the stability and growth of the game into the future.

There are several features that we began work on during Spaced Out which are now going to be part of the Base Game, for all players! These include:

• New traits, including traits that grant skills to Duplicants right out of the printing pod
  • Some shuffling of the tech tree, notably moving most of the Conveyor Rails techs one tier earlier
  • Updated food storage mechanics, making refrigeration easier and more effective, but removing exploits and creating a natural progression for fully preserving food
  • Meter Valves allow sending precise amounts of material down a pipe, manually or using automation
  • Oxygen Masks are a new low-tier suit, allow Duplicants to work for longer in low-oxygen areas but not protecting them from harsh environments
  • Suit durability mechanics will be available in the base game (off by default), which add some upkeep costs for suits so they aren't so overpowered
  • "Stinging eyes" and related debuffs give more reason to be cautious with chlorine and other gasses and liquids
  • The Diagnostics panel, updated Resource screen, and other UI improvements make it easier to stay on top of what's happening in the base
  • Demolition skill allows Duplicants to destroy those Gravitas ruins once and for all

All other new content (in particular, the new rockets and multi-asteroid starmap, and radiation buildings and overlay) will remain in Spaced Out only.

We're still working through a long list of things to separate between the two versions of the game, so if you see something in the base game that doesn't look like it belongs, please report it in the bug forums.

Spaced Out: Continuing Polish and Fixes

As the Spaced Out! DLC gets closer to launching, we're continuing to focus on polish, bug fixes, and tying up loose ends.

We're continuing to refine worldgen tuning, and have added a "Classic Forest Start" cluster to play on. There's lots of finalized animation and sound effects coming down the pipe, including new art and leak mechanics for nuclear waste barrels. We're also spending more time looking at performance and have some promising leads.

There is a new Artifact Analysis Station, which will allow Duplicants to remove "encrusted" artifacts they discover, to display them in their full glory (and maybe gain a little something special along the way). We also added a few new Spaced Out!-exclusive artifacts.

Thanks for sticking with us through this large technical challenge. If you notice anything that seems to be amiss between the two versions of the game, please report it as a bug! And as always, we'd love to hear any other feedback you have. Take care!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Here are the changes we've made so far in this update, loosely categorized:

Spoiler

Features

• Merged from Spaced Out! to base
    • Meter Valve buildings.
    • Oxygen Mask, Oxygen Mask Station and associated buildings.
    • Demolish skill and POI demolition.
    • Gas/Liquid Irritation effects on Duplicants.
    • Suit durability and adjustable game setting (defaults to "Indestructible" in Base Game)
    • New Diagnostics and Resources UI panels
    • Skill-granting traits
  • Spaced Out! specific
    • Added Classic Style Forest Cluster. 
    • 5 new artifacts added to Spaced Out!
    • Added Diamond Press sounds.
    • Added Material Research Centre hammer strike sound and Artifact Analysis Station Sound & hammer strike sound.
    • Added sounds to rocket doors opening/closing.

Changes

• Base
    • Printing Pod sidescreen Colony imperative information includes progress tooltips.
  • Spaced Out! specific
    • Increased Sandstone biome size in Rusty Oil Asteroid found in the Forest and Swamp Spaced Out Style clusters.
    • Duplicants can now traverse the space below the top of a Rocket Platform. They can no longer be entombed by the platform.
    • Nuclear Waste no longer dumps out of storage or completely reverts back to liquid all at once after decay is finished. Instead, it slowly drips nuclear waste over time. If in a sealed storage, the nuclear waste will deal damage to that storage and drip waste regardless of the storage (Duplicants & Nuclear Reactor are immune to this effect)
    • Artifacts in Spaced Out! are now discovered in a neutronium entombed state that must be cleared by the Artifact Analysis Station.
    • Updated codex entries for Beeta, Divergent, Plug Slug, Rover, Experiment 52B.
    • Updated Missing Radbolts status item on fabricators with Radbolt recipes.
    • Rockets in the starmap now play an animation when harvesting from space POI.

Fixes

• Base
    • Prevented problematic ‘.’ character from appearing in colony names.
    • Attempted fix for crash related to super productive trait. 
    • Fixed issue causing worker/building animation desync. 
    • Fixed Russian translation not loading correctly.
  • Spaced Out! specific
    • Worldgen: Irradiated Swampy Asteroid accidentally had its Cobalt Volcanoes swapped with Aluminum ones. Now it's back to Cobalt.
    • Worldgen: Fixed an issue where sometimes Radioactive Swamp Asteroid would fail to generate with minimum surface biome counts.    
    • Fixed bug where Beeta Larvae were not triggering weight plates.
    • Fixed bug where Beetas were not detected by critter sensors.
    • Fixed bug where Plug Slugs stopped generating power if hanging from an open door.
    • Fixed bug where follow cam would break if the duplicant you were following entered a rocket.
    • Solar Panel and Drillcone module meters now move with the rocket during launch/land.
    • Corrected some critter codex names that gave the appearance of duplicate entries.
    • Fixed recipe radbolt requirement formatting in fabricator side screen.
    • Fixed issue preventing Diamond press meter from showing correct value load.
    • Fixed some animation and selection bugs with rockets in the starmap.
    • Fixed crash that could occur when taking first timelapse screenshot

Known Issues

Some users are experiencing a graphical error causing "ghost tiles" to appear on screen. The issue is discussed here.

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 2

• Developer
18 hours ago, degr said:

Great news, but is it backward compatible? Can I play with my old savefile?

Absolutely! If you encounter any issues please let us know.

To clarify, Spaced Out saves can only be played with Spaced Out, and base game saves can only be played with the base game. You can't play base game saves in Spaced Out and vice versa. However, you can easily toggle between the base game and Spaced Out from the main menu.

• Like 1

Some users are experiencing a graphical error causing "ghost tiles" to appear on screen. The issue is discussed

there is more than some players, just atm players play the dlc game and not everyone notice that yet inside base game, also there missing one info in here, game have also ghost animations. but like i tell its happens in base game not inside dlc, what makes it odd as both uses same code

Edited by gabberworld

I can happily report that my old save file is loading. I still have to wait on modders for a couple more updates (small reservoirs & omni flora are still pending) before I continue playing on this branch.

I still have an absurd amount of sleet wheat stored in a biome of its own so some of the 14 million+ calories could rot but my colony won't go the way of the dodo. (Coincidence, I had done this before the change) All the berry sludge will help me pull through too.

Still, it's somewhat annoying that edible material cannot be loaded into an automatic dispenser for sweeping purposes. Nosh beans count as seeds so there's also that...

Spoiler

1821465191_nonoshyet.thumb.png.0c56727af872c886555e52a4935c44d4.png

Also noted that some biomes have different lighting schemes in base game now (tide pool shining bright now), I thought that a lot of CO2 had been lost for a second, though. Looks purdy nonetheless!

• Developer
3 minutes ago, JRup said:

Also noted that some biomes have different lighting schemes in base game now (tide pool shining bright now), I thought that a lot of CO2 had been lost for a second, though. Looks purdy nonetheless!

Could you share a screenshot? It sounds like a Linux rendering issue similar to OSX.

• Thanks 1

My colony has similar issue on Linux (It is running Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa). On another computer running Windows 10 with same colony does not have this issue.

They are brighter at the bottom than close to surface. Not sure if that helps.

1199821885__cycle_0680.thumb.png.8ce708b064defdd1b747a644a528c199.png

Edited by DolphinWing

20210629213406_1.thumb.jpg.9e5187650a67a2eb43555fbe9091db3e.jpg

Noticed what appears to be a bug or functionality change at the very least.  Dupes do a pause and think after washing their hands at the handwashing station.  This prevents any other dupe from being able to use the handwashing station for a longer period as it does lock out the station.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Will gas/liquid weights remain the same in vanilla?

For what I hear at least steam has been made lighter in the DLC, so just wanted to make sure you didn't accidently port this over to vanilla and break builds that rely on passive gas separation.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

7 hours ago, dacio_ultanca said:

Noticed what appears to be a bug or functionality change at the very least.  Dupes do a pause and think after washing their hands at the handwashing station.  This prevents any other dupe from being able to use the handwashing station for a longer period as it does lock out the station.

I had an even worse instance of this with the Neural Vacillator, the dupe was left "permanently" (I didn't test until the end of time) stuck in an animation and unable to jump or do most other things. Reloading the game fixed it.

1 minute ago, degr said:

oxygen disappear from all jet suit stations.

Disappeared from the dock or the suit? Oxygen disappears in all idle suits in docks (bug report here). Even in atmo suit docks. In order to fill suits again, you'll need to un-dock and request the suit again

If the moment you load the save all dupes wear their suits you will not notice anything wrong.

13 minutes ago, degr said:

check screenshot

Yes. I can see :rolleyes: 

Should I ask if you have any oxygen going to the docks? Or if it run out after filling the suits? Also, is it the moment of load of an older save file in the testing branch or is it after playing several cycles? (It is the testing branch right?)

11 hours ago, dacio_ultanca said:

bug (..) Dupes do a pause and think after washing their hands at the handwashing station.  This prevents any other dupe from being able to use the handwashing station for a longer period as it does lock out the station.

Same bug here (space out, dev build 469668)

image.png.b36b6a95d6edc578c3021c0400b7c080.png

Even the statue is wondering how someone can be so still for so long... :)

14 hours ago, EricKlei said:

while we're at it, newly solidified metal (iron debris) does not exchange heat in vaccum but will happily cool down after game restart !

image.png.83c8afc133ba868cfae00a78a0e3a880.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Should I ask if you have any oxygen going to the docks?

Yes, sure

7 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Also, is it the moment of load of an older save file in the testing branch or is it after playing several cycles?

I load savefile "2 cycles ago", situation same, also I notice my dudes have no oxygen in suits as well

Spoiler

1525906677_.thumb.jpg.65b07f10227101d32a0c3d728042c3de.jpg

You may found save file here, (think one hundred cycles ago, but pretty sure issue will persist)

26 minutes ago, degr said:

You may found save file here

My potato pc cried a little... but it seems it is as I mentioned above. Every suit is empty of oxygen and cannot be filled unless it is undocked and requested again (or left in the dock when a dupe returning it passes the check point).

The docks have oxygen but cannot fill the suits for some reason.

• Like 1

Thx, I undock suit and dock it back, and it charge pretty quick. In description I found 2 types of oxygen

712420400_.thumb.jpg.4f5958ccad779a7f5c5c9786a93ccf81.jpg

First one (190 kg) pretty fast disappear, second one grow with same speed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, degr said:

Thx, I undock suit and dock it back, and it charge pretty quick. In description I found 2 types of oxygen

712420400_.thumb.jpg.4f5958ccad779a7f5c5c9786a93ccf81.jpg

First one (190 kg) pretty fast disappear, second one grow with same speed.

This was always there (I think?).

You have Oxygen in station and then oxygen in suit.

13 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

This was always there (I think?)

Don't know, I never check it before.

Unfortunately, I rollback game to stable version, because dock-undock work only sometimes. I have too many dock stations, I'm afraid it is a big problem for me. Also, issue with "bypass jetsuit checkpoint" still persist, and it become too panful, because more than half of base population sit nearby beds.