Why walking on top of the rocket platform has problems

Rocket platform itself says it has an overheat temperature of 2000C (if made out of copper 2050) but that doesn't really matter.

image.png.8096897331d79052926e0b24f3c362fb.png

The Rocket platform as a building doesn't really change temperature. If you build a platform in the sandbox's default temperature of 20C, when changing to temperature overlay, it always shows the default built temperature of 20C.

image.png.5c57111b1d292a65afeb62e4e30d305a.png

But it still melts!

image.png.f7317addbbfa7f6de2f6a698d2a1e0cc.png image.thumb.png.d540558ab05680f4b3d575b057c6735b.png

What I observed is that the 7 walk-on-top tiles of the platform change temperature although there is no visual indication of that in the temperature overlay.

image.png.427cf29579104096fee816ed7c3e76be.png

Even if the actual temperature of the building doesn't register, its material (for some reason...) changes temperature and melts. The result is rocket platform melting without any indication or warning it is possible to do that (unless you specifically know the melting point of every refined metal and hover over the upper row of tiles of the 2x7 rocket platform building to check if melting point is going to be reached :rolleyes:).

Although... if the platform actually registered its temperature, after one launch of a sugar engine rocket, no dupe could stand on top of it even with atmosuit on.

Another problem having platform as a building is pressure damage. Platform being solid, prevents liquids from passing through so pressure damage is applied. That becomes a problem in water moonlet and its massive quantities of water.

image.thumb.png.0c1418e8ca780c9f6b227aa3192e5a23.png

So here is a question:

Why platform is considered as 7 solid tiles and not mesh tiles? Could the properties of mesh tiles, solve some of these problems?

@sakura_sk

Isn`t it that the engines kind of pulse the temperature per second ( fraction?) ? So lets say spike pulses of 800,1200,1000,1000 etc. and it all adds together and the heat has no where to go ? So the temperature reading one sees just reflects a spike of 1 moment ? I can just tell how temperature readings seemed to me in base game last year with rocket exhausts, with all my fresh dlc map restarts I still haven`t got back to proper rocket launches, my current base still has not rockets and I`m building my base basic in the first 5000 cycles on a big map.

The engine heat distribution is all over the place anyway :lol: Maybe the mouse cursor location only shows a spike in a confined section, instead of the total object size temperature ? Are we really seeing an indication of the entire platform heat ? ...and maybe its just a temperature spike of that particular moment ? Is it the true object heat reading ? If anybody has the detail game engine view of the simulation on this, more insight would be great :ghost: If someone has facts on the topic, that would be great.

@nakomaru@mathmanican ...any clues ? :p:confused:

Kind regards, dr.babba noob

Thanks for the report/info sakura. Overheat / max working / melting temps have always been different things. I don't think it should be a surprise that a copper platform melts well below it overheats. The same is true for a lead turbine.

For buildings that have tiles, the melting temp doesn't use the "building facade", which is bugged for the platform at 20C, but the individual solid tiles underneath.

For doors, the facade does some really weird stuff with temp. It only shows the temp of the root tile while closed. When closing, it copies the temperature of the facade to both tiles. When opening, and the tiles have different temperatures and it is conducting with something... it does a calculation that I don't understand (deleting or creating heat).

For the rocket platform, each tile is 800kg thermally, but if any tile melts (*only left tile tested), everything else is deleted. I wonder if it is possible to duplicate mass by melting all tiles at the same time.

You can see the individual tiles by hovering over them and observing their behavior as ordinary 800kg tiles. For doors, the tiles are hidden, but you can click twice to select them.

LMZ1aJdpPQ.thumb.gif.a5246025d13d4ea78c73fc3a8f50a58c.gif

Hopefully the facade can be changed to show the temp of the hottest tile, but it will probably just show the temp of the root tile when they fix it.

Regarding the OP's comment about meshes: meshes can melt too, and wouldn't provide a shield against rocket exhaust which is kind of the point of the platform. I would consider adding cooling to your silo.

@sakura_sk @nakomaruHere's a fun fact:  The temperature of the backing material resets itself to the temperature of the facade on reload.

And the facade doesn't exchange heat with anything so it never changes temperature.  So anytime your platforms get close to melting just reload the game.

I this puts it squarely in "bug" territory. Is there are report in the bug tracker?

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

@sakura_sk @nakomaruHere's a fun fact:  The temperature of the backing material resets itself to the temperature of the facade on reload.

And the facade doesn't exchange heat with anything so it never changes temperature.  So anytime your platforms get close to melting just reload the game.

I this puts it squarely in "bug" territory. Is there are report in the bug tracker?

I agree. This clearly is a bug.  

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The temperature of the backing material resets itself to the temperature of the facade on reload.

I saw some weirdness but I was doing too many thing at the same time so I wasn't sure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for confirming my (unwritten) suspicions :D

Archived