The way you obtain Webber in DS finally makes sense (sorta)

I'm not sure if this is really obvious, or if somebody already pointed it out, but just in case I'm gonna post this.

I was wondering why, instead of showing up as some shadow apparition or something, maxwell (well, his head) showed up in the trailer in the form of lightning during a storm. And then I remembered

"To unlock Webber one must be playing in a Reign of Giants save game. The player has to find Webber's Skull as a drop from Spiders, then bury the skull inside a dug up Grave mound. After that, Lightning will immediately strike the grave. Webber will rise from the mound and become unlocked." 

a09884db8d822742c82ba3da053f133d.thumb.png.e349dd3291798922ea5f5dbae94a5a18.png

60019d9a90c2a75534cba51907bdf8d1.thumb.png.c4b9c42c8b5d8459fa5c5c48d1c5f2ee.png

There has to be a link between the two - no other character in DS is unlocked this way. It's unique to Webber. Perhaps lightning Maxwell made a deal with webber (by saying "if you come with me you can join your family again" when he means the spider's family?) And then struck him with lightning, and which point he wakes up in a grave in the constant. But hey, it's just a theory. A GAME THEORY.

Anyways, sorry if this is really obvious or something, just wanted to put this out there in case it's not really.

Back when Dont Starve didnt shy away from macabre themes, his unlock always said to me that he was a boy eaten by a spider in the constant hence why you need to kill the particular spider who has his skull inside his body. I kinda prefer that to the spiderman radioactive spider bite klei went with in his cinematic. But i understand that for a commmunity who constantly debates whether or not Mutilated Hounds is too much cartoon gore, that backstory was never gonna become canon so spiderman webber is much more in line with current Dont Starve.

7 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Back when Dont Starve didnt shy away from macabre themes, his unlock always said to me that he was a boy eaten by a spider in the constant hence why you need to kill the particular spider who has his skull inside his body. I kinda prefer that to the spiderman radioactive spider bite klei went with in his cinematic. But i understand that for a commmunity who constantly debates whether or not Mutilated Hounds is too much cartoon gore, that backstory was never gonna become canon so spiderman webber is much more in line woth current Dont Starve.

I don't know why you call it Spiderman way, he was literally eaten. He just didn't die, which actually is quite a bit more 'macabre', as Webber had to be at least somehow conscious while his whole body changed and adapted to being merged with a spider. Which also makes his nickname, The Indigestible, make sense. 

4 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I don't know why you call it Spiderman way, he was literally eaten. He just didn't die, which actually is quite a bit more 'macabre', as Webber had to be at least somehow conscious while his whole body changed and adapted to being merged with a spider. Which also makes his nickname, The Indigestible, make sense. 

He didn't get eaten. The narrator even says it was just one bite

Just now, DaZoul said:

He didn't get eaten. The narrator even says it was just one bite

He also says "Now one, no longer two". The part about the bite is obviously meant to rhyme, and means the spider basically swallowed him whole. Afaik that counts as eating. 

10 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Hmm i guess i was thrown off by the purple energy all over the spider and the narrator using the word bite. He still has the purple energy even after the "transformation" when hes lying on the ground. So rather than eaten it just gave me immediate spiderman vibes 

Maxwell is usually literal to a fault with his baiting so I'm thinking he promised Webber to "End his existence as a monster", took him to the constant where he died in the wilderness, took pity on him and buried him in the grave. How he got resurrected by a lightning is beyond me as Maxwell might have set it up so that he'd only wake up to encounter other desperate survivors that's accept him but this is DSA and he couldn't have known about the events of DST where all the survivors would be working and surviving together.

21 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Back when Dont Starve didnt shy away from macabre themes, his unlock always said to me that he was a boy eaten by a spider in the constant hence why you need to kill the particular spider who has his skull inside his body. I kinda prefer that to the spiderman radioactive spider bite klei went with in his cinematic. But i understand that for a commmunity who constantly debates whether or not Mutilated Hounds is too much cartoon gore, that backstory was never gonna become canon so spiderman webber is much more in line woth current Dont Starve.

I don't think this is the case of Klei "softening the story to appease a hypersensitive fanbase" or whatever you wanna call it.

It has always been implied that Webber became a spider before he came to the Constant. His overall description has never really lined up with this idea that he came to the Constant as a normal kid, got killed and revived as a spider-boy. And his quote on Maxwell's Statue (back in RoG) straight up says he was lured into the Constant by Maxwell promising "he could help us".

35 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I don't think this is the case of Klei "softening the story to appease a hypersensitive fanbase" or whatever you wanna call it.

It has always been implied that Webber became a spider before he came to the Constant. His overall description has never really lined up with this idea that he came to the Constant as a normal kid, got killed and revived as a spider-boy. And his quote on Maxwell's Statue (back in RoG) straight up says he was lured into the Constant by Maxwell promising "he could help us".

Okay, fair enough. I will admit im not the deeply versed in the lore, especially in the DS days, so my head cannon was filling in the blanks. I did love the Webber short overall, i was just thrown off by thst one scene and misinterpreted it.

Although that quote is ambiguous, Webber could have wanted help with anything. 

Actually after some more thought im sticking to my guns on this. Perhaps webber was lost and needed help finding his parents, that quote about needing help could have referred to anything. The transformation really did seem to me in ROG being that you killed his spider murderer and revived him Frankenstein style, hence the lightning. Why else would they make him dead in ROG to begin with? Wigfrid wasnt, and it was already established that skull unlocks are dead survivors with Wes. It seems more like Webber changing before entering the constant is more of a way to shoehorn Wagstaff into his lore.

1 hour ago, sudoku said:

Hmm i guess i was thrown off by the purple energy all over the spider and the narrator using the word bite. He still has the purple energy even after the "transformation" when hes lying on the ground. So rather than eaten it just gave me immediate spiderman vibes 

id say that weird energy is something related to wagstaff cage, to make sure the spider would have no way to get away

55 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

id say that weird energy is something related to wagstaff cage, to make sure the spider would have no way to get away

It could be.. But the energy persisted even after the two merged, making it seem like their was something special about this spider, especially with the narrator saying these two were never meant to meet. Kind of like the spider was unstable in our reality so biting webber allowed the two to merge and co exist. I dont really like Wagstaffs inclusion in Webbers lore because it feels pretty heavyhanded. Webber, instead of being lured into the constant and eaten by a spider, was now turned into a monster indirectly by Wagstaff. Maxwell now doesnt seem as evil and irrideemable with the orignal backstory and Wagstaff continues to carry the theme of curious inventor causing trouble that the forum loves so much.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Wardin25 said:

8 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Kind of like the spider was unstable in our reality so biting webber allowed the two to merge and co exist.

ShadowDuelist actually had a plausible theory regarding what that energy was over in the Webber lore thread.

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The spider is from another dimension, let’s say wagstaff teleported creatures to this world, but the time flow of our universe, being so different to the constant, makes them age incredibly fast and die within a few days. So he figured an electronic device to keep it alive for longer and took it to an entomologist for further studies (Particularly someone eccentric enough who is not afraid to work in the very limits of science, as seen that he has an alchemy station).

When Webber broke the container he probably not only set the specimen free, but also contaminated the spider with the cage’s mysterious containment energy, which may or may not have helped the fusion of both.

20 minutes ago, fierysage1 said:
  Hide contents

ShadowDuelist actually had a plausible theory regarding what that energy was over in the Webber lore thread.

Not only that but lets dive deeper. The energy is purp!e. What else in the constant is purple? Monster meat. What does monster meat do? Mutates Woby into big Woby and Woodie into his wereforms. And lets not forget that the rework introduded switcherdoodles which literally mutate spiders into other types. So i dont see how the spiderman comparison is considered so off base, considering the radioactive spider literally mutated Peter Parkers genes with its bite. It looks less like Webber was eaten insead of only being bitten and instead mutated with this spider. The narrator even states at the end Webber begged to be changed back, implying a transformation or a mutatuon that can be possibly be undone.

Considering Spiderman's backstory is ******** and radioactive stuff doesn't work like that we really shouldn't even make comparisons. 

In this universe, we're dealing with scientists messing with magic. If there's one thing I would consider the purple thing to be is either just plain out electricity, or the creatures from constant can only survive in a magical world by containing magic themselves. Which reacts pretty aggressively with the non-magic world around them.

8 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Considering Spiderman's backstory is ******** and radioactive stuff doesn't work like that we really shouldn't even make comparisons. 

In this universe, we're dealing with scientists messing with magic. If there's one thing I would consider the purple thing to be is either just plain out electricity, or the creatures from constant can only survive in a magical world by containing magic themselves. Which reacts pretty aggressively with the non-magic world around them.

Umm. Huh? Its not too difficult of a comparison, nor is it exact, but the general idea is the same.

Spiderman bitten by radioactive spider (a spider with special properties)

Webber bitten by a spider with curious energy ( a spider with special properties)

Spidrerman gains spiderlike abilities, he is considered a mutant.

Webber gains an affinity for spiders ( quite literally becomes a spider), he is considered a monster.

Substitute magical spiders for radioactive spiders who cares, its the same premise.

13 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Webber bitten by a spider with curious energy ( a spider with special properties)

This is what I'm talking about. It's just a spider. And it ATE HIM, not bit. I doubt the purple electricity was of any significance. 

I guess this is the moment I stop talking, bc I really can't handle people's headcanons at times. Have fun figuring it out. 

23 minutes ago, BezKa said:

This is what I'm talking about. It's just a spider. And it ATE HIM, not bit. I doubt the purple electricity was of any significance. 

I guess this is the moment I stop talking, bc I really can't handle people's headcanons at times. Have fun figuring it out. 

Yeah, if you arent willing to let people have their own interpretation of lore that is purposefully ambiguous to generate mystery and discussion then you really shouldnt participate in said discussions.

Archived