ᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠ

My Wagstaff senses are-a tingling

ᵂᵃᵍˢᵗᵃᶠᶠ

Klei has fueled my obsession once again.

Wagstaff pulled a spider out of the constant and caused Webber to fuse with it.

Wagstaff's goggles, the top of his lunar extractor, what appear to be lunar moths and of course an alchemy engine are in Webber's father's lab.

The compendium says: 
"Once upon a time, there was a young boy who lived with his family on a small farmstead. Though they lived humbly, the boy's home was filled with love, and he grew up happy and kind. They boy might have lived contentedly for the rest of his days if not for the sudden arrival of an old acquaintance, who came to the house beseeching the boy's father for his expertise on a strange and secretive project..."

The father and Wagstaff know each other, etc.

I am very happy and satisfied with just the animation alone, but the update itself makes it all even better. Thanks Klei!

21 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

just to add, wagstaff doestn mention knowing webber if he finds him one the throne

I think it would rather Webber mention knowing Wagstaff, considering that he was still a human when Wagstaff was around

4 minutes ago, VirgilEngineer said:

There you are!

I too was excited seeing Wagstaff in the animation, it sure was a surprise! What are your thoughts?

I'm not really sure actually.  All I can think about is Wagstaff being in another animated short.

speaking of wagstaff: im going to share a crackpot theory

so webber's short reveals that wagstaff is able to bring things out from the constant and to the real world

in winona's short, on the very right of her conspiracy board is an image of clockwork bishops, showing that they were spotted in the real world

wx has very similar coloration to clockwork bishop's cape, they even undergo similar lighting and effects (i.e. when the player is insane) 

i think that wagstaff dragged clockworks out of the constant and took them apart to create wx

4 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

speaking of wagstaff: im going to share a crackpot theory

so webber's short reveals that wagstaff is able to bring things out from the constant and to the real world

in winona's short, on the very right of her conspiracy board is an image of clockwork bishops, showing that they were spotted in the real world

wx has very similar coloration to clockwork bishop's cape, they even undergo similar lighting and effects (i.e. when the player is insane) 

i think that wagstaff dragged clockworks out of the constant and took them apart to create wx

Yeah, makes sense. But in shipwrecked, with the floaty knight says "I too had problems waterproofing my automaton"

So Shipwrecked happened after the creation of WX-78?

Just now, VirgilEngineer said:

Yeah, makes sense. But in shipwrecked, with the floaty knight says "I too had problems waterproofing my automaton"

I think Wagstaff had not discovered the shipwrecked part and only the normal part of the Constant.  So he only found the normal clockworks for WX's construction.

50 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

just to add, wagstaff doestn mention knowing webber if he finds him one the throne

I mean,  he only knew Webber before he was turned into the spider hybrid.  

Just now, VirgilEngineer said:

yeah most likely

always seemed like wx was sent into the constant before wagstaff projected himself in, though exactly how i cant say

this theory is based more on personal observation and my own logic rather then quotes, but i think wx was created to see if a human could survive the constant. they have robotic parts equivalent to human organs, like a chemical engine acting as a stomach, optical sensors acting as eyes, etc. 

if wagstaff wanted to create a machine to dominate or last as long as possible, why give wx human limitations? 

wx was most likely sent in before wagstaff found the shipwrecked islands

1 minute ago, LinknAllie said:

I mean,  he only knew Webber before he was turned into the spider hybrid.  

now that you mention it

Id say wagstaff would have been told by webbers dad that the spider ate his child, or if he didnt quite catch that that the spider escaped or that it grew a frikin torso and limbs.

Id say that if wagstaff traveled to the constant regularly, he would have noticed the humanoid spider and maybe keep tabs on it

Just now, SkyistheGround said:

yeah most likely

always seemed like wx was sent into the constant before wagstaff projected himself in, though exactly how i cant say

this theory is based more on personal observation and my own logic rather then quotes, but i think wx was created to see if a human could survive the constant. they have robotic parts equivalent to human organs, like a chemical engine acting as a stomach, optical sensors acting as eyes, etc. 

if wagstaff wanted to create a machine to dominate or last as long as possible, why give wx human limitations? 

wx was most likely sent in before wagstaff found the shipwrecked islands

My theory is... WX-78 is a drone. Kind of a camera for Wagstaff to see the constant. But at some point something went wrong and WX-78 developed awareness and will. Seeing that failure, Wagstaff decided to do things on his own. Perhaps the reason why WX-78 starts with such low stats is because most of its mechanisms were lost between the change of dimensions or something

1 minute ago, Wardin25 said:

now that you mention it

Id say wagstaff would have been told by webbers dad that the spider ate his child, or if he didnt quite catch that that the spider escaped or that it grew a frikin torso and limbs.

Id say that if wagstaff traveled to the constant regularly, he would have noticed the humanoid spider and maybe keep tabs on it

That would make sense.  Unless, Wagstaff entered the constant fully (Winona's short) before visiting Webber's father again.  But if he didn't or managed to "escape" somehow then it would make sense that Webber's dad told Wagstaff the situation.

4 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

Well, I mean... Webber looks a bit different from the last time Wagstaff visited his father to give him the darned spider, now doesn't he? 

On 6/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, GrMcGillacactus said:

"[...] the sudden arrival of an old acquaintance, who came to the house beseeching the boy's father for his expertise on a strange and secretive project..."

"An adequate replacement for the insect collecting tools I left at home." - Wagstaff, exam. Bug Net

Not too relevant for the lore, but these two might have been old Entomology-Buddies

Something I find more interesting is that Webber's Father was not only a farmer, but also an Entomologist. 
And he seemed to be a very successful one, at that; judging by the valuable research materials in his lab. 
He was SO successful at his research in fact, that Wagstaff considered him a sufficiently masterful entomologist that he entrusted him with an alien arthropod-like creature from another universe, information the government would literally kill for

Also, 
Teleporter.png.dc87d2d111ba5d56fdadd0958fb39981.pngTelipad_Build.png.ec2efd2a11f82a3f2f32fba90f174cca.png
"The receiver pad for my short range teleportation device" - Wagstaff, exam. Telipad

What's that doing in his study? Does Webbers Dad own a Telebrella? Is it a random gift from Wagstaff? Is it a emergency-route to his old colleague? Is it just a random hidden prop to please Wagstaff fanboys without deeper intend?

1 hour ago, Tim S. said:

Also, 
Teleporter.png.dc87d2d111ba5d56fdadd0958fb39981.pngTelipad_Build.png.ec2efd2a11f82a3f2f32fba90f174cca.png
"The receiver pad for my short range teleportation device" - Wagstaff, exam. Telipad

What's that doing in his study? Does Webbers Dad own a Telebrella? Is it a random gift from Wagstaff? Is it a emergency-route to his old colleague? Is it just a random hidden prop to please Wagstaff fanboys without deeper intend?

I don't think it's the entire telepad.  Since the item itself is pretty large and I doubt it could fit there.  It's more than likely just that one part of the telepad.  Perhaps a prototype.

On 6/25/2021 at 12:36 AM, GrMcGillacactus said:

Wagstaff pulled a spider out of the constant and caused Webber to fuse with it.

There are no teleportation portal appear when webber run, maybe webber's family was living in the constant all along. So what wagstaff did is just capture a live spoder.

Archived