Webber changes and some potentially unnoticed potential

I want for the Webber players, to highlight some potential "Hidden upsides" that may come from the webber rework, because it's unreleased, anything I say here is purely speculative, but I sure do love to speculate. The second thing i want to do is mention to any klei developer reading this to be careful with being able to pick up spiders and hats. Because I know this community, the first thing they'll do is mutate the spiders, then they'll put helmets on them, then they'll trap them and bundling wrap them for later, because they bundling wrap and save literally everything that exists. You may want to extensively test that to make sure no bugs arise from using a bundling wrap on spiders, as no other creature that can be turned into an item naturally can wear equipment. /bug warning over/

Webby whistle - possibly able to tend to crops as it would be an instrument, also calling out spiders from a tier 3 den and shaving it may lead to large amounts of homeless spiders that would be ASLEEP when morning comes.

Den decorating set - It says it pacifies spiders in range, not the spiders from that den itself, so you could theoretically base even in a queens gathering setpiece safely so long as theres a few decorated dens covering your base, Also if it pacifies spiders you may want to make a pen for spiders with a decorated den in the middle to provide spiders to mutate

Healing glop/nurse spider (if healing) - Very possible it heals webber as well

switcher doodles - We don't know what types we'll be able to make, will moon spiders be available? what about this new nursery spider? I think many times simply trapping the spiders will be far more cost effective than gathering the materials to mutate, now that we're able to transport spiders so easily that is.

Spider changes - A cookie cutter cap would be the ideal helmet for spiders, with higher durability, and the lower protection meaning much less when you take tougher spiders health pools into account,

picking up spiders when asleep would allow you to easily amass large amounts of spiders with a pan flute/wickerbottom and simply dropping spiders while your tamed ones are already in combat would allow you to effectively increase your army without paying these new spiders, as they'll fight anything that hits a spider.

Everyone seems to be assuming the nurse spider is a healer, but its possible it spawns spiders similar to a spider queen but at a slower rate: aka a nursery spider, until its released we cant be sure.

I partly wanted to express my own thoughts, but mostly I want to hear what you guys think of each individual change, and how it may affect playing webber as a whole.

32 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Spider changes - A cookie cutter cap would be the ideal helmet for spiders, with higher durability, and the lower protection meaning much less when you take tougher spiders health pools into account,

Cookie Cutter caps are horrible to try and farm though, it takes on average 16 cookie cutters killed to get just one cap.

Cookie cutters used to have a 100% drop rate for their shells but that was reduced to 25% because a lot of people complained about the 100% drop rate for some reason. I wish theyd revert that.

I do like the thought of the cookie cutter cap being a hat to give to followers though, if it was much more mass producable I think itd be fantastic for that.

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

Den decorating set - It says it pacifies spiders in range, not the spiders from that den itself, so you could theoretically base even in a queens gathering setpiece safely so long as theres a few decorated dens covering your base, Also if it pacifies spiders you may want to make a pen for spiders with a decorated den in the middle to provide spiders to mutate

you could always do this, the queens gathering set piece is just a free inability to lose

small but very important (at least in my server)

the ability to shave down spider dens makes it a lot easier to reset bunnymen silk farms. easier to leave it ongoing at all times (and stay with the number of spiders tier 2 dens have) without worrying abt a queen breaking walls and fences

5 hours ago, Copyafriend said:

so you could theoretically base even in a queens gathering setpiece safely so long as theres a few decorated dens covering your base

That is assuming that a spider queen doesn't leave behind a normal tier 1 den when she spawns, which would mean you would need to either destroy the den and re-decorate them (which only Webber can decorate) or shave the den down a couple stages before a queen spawns (also something only Webber can do).

Unpopular opinion, but I personally am in favor of the above outcome. I like the idea that you can't just simply get cool decorated dens and bail on Webber for any other character, you actually have to put care and dedication into tending the spiders and dens. Plus I'd really hate to see another awesome character be used as a swap character for their perks.

5 hours ago, BoySyrup said:

Yeah...? That's what bug fix patches are for. Klei can't catch everything in testing.

They still haven't fixed LOST MERMS thingy. And its been 2 years already since Wurt release. And this stupid "feature" just makes Wurt unplayable for people that try use them every day at 100%

I think the helmet of choice for spiders would be the good old reliable football helmet, or Wigfrid’s helmet in a wigfrid-Webber team.

Spoiler

Webber can mass produce pig skins early game in a tedious but solid system of mass producing monster meat and then turning to werepig the unfortunate pigs one by one. Bonus points of course, for a late game pig farm using the mooncaller staff event or the moonstorm. 

If a Wigfrid is nearby they don’t even have to raid the ruins to get a million helmets, and can even delay that for summer, so long as Webber keeps producing MM, turning them to eggs and feeding PK for the gold, stone fruits will keep flooding your team in rocks. (This is a synergy that already exists, but it was better used by Wendy since she currently is a decent MM farmer as well, and an overall more versatile character than pre-rework Webber

Filthy rich Webbers will probably flex with their thulecite crowned spiders, of course.

I think decorated dens is aimed towards making Webber bases more team friendly.

I’ve run tests in the past many times, of spawning myself 20 or more spitters, befriending them all at max loyalty time and taking them for different fights. They are indeed amazing, as it is basically a mobile turret that follows you around, stays out of range of danger and adds a huge DPS to webber while he fights normally as any other character. Even with helmets and healing I still have doubts it will be as cost effective to keep other spiders types around, besides spitters (but of course we’ll have to wait and see how helmet spiders with healing backup fare against their nemesis: AOE damage).

The whistle seems aimed not only to call spiders but to stop their mindless civil wars, which when you handle a lot of spiders tend to accidentally happen, and are a big problem if you needed those spiders for something.

Edit: they made a big emphasis on spiders using “normal” hats in previews and images. Currently hats on mobs are just decorative, but what if on spiders they aren’t? What if a top hat spider has a sanity aura. Or a bush hat spider can hide when sleeping? Or a rain hat spider protects an area from lighting, or you know… you get the idea, different hats giving different perks.

6 hours ago, Hornete said:

Cookie Cutter caps are horrible to try and farm though, it takes on average 16 cookie cutters killed to get just one cap.

Cookie cutters used to have a 100% drop rate for their shells but that was reduced to 25% because a lot of people complained about the 100% drop rate for some reason. I wish theyd revert that.

Personally. I feel like it would almost be faster to just get the shells from sunken chests. Because its a 30% chance to get 4-6 shells from them.
And i find whenever I go on treasure hunting trips, I will usually end up with 2-3 stacks of them (In about 1 season).

But the issue with this is I feel webber wont be THAT good of a sailor (at least not as good as Wendy or Maxwell)
so you may want to ask your local sailor rather than going sailing yourself as a Webber

though just from reading it so far, the being able to sleep in nests could be useful on a boat depending on if he can do it endlessly or if it breaks the nest at all. (Assuming webber would still be able to upgrade nests and be able to upgrade nests on boats)

2 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

But the issue with this is I feel webber wont be THAT good of a sailor

Heh, this reminds me, I really wanna see a water spider in DST like the ones you see irl that sort of skate on the water. Could be a neat addition in the future when they keep adding onto the ocean!

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

Heh, this reminds me, I really wanna see a water spider in DST like the ones you see irl that sort of skate on the water. Could be a neat addition in the future when they keep adding onto the ocean!

I believe they are either called raft or fishing spiders. Would be neat. Spoiler if you dare.

Spoiler

2002576103_fishingspooder.jpg.14d646fe1495bec4e2a706f0eee26a0a.jpg

7 hours ago, Hornete said:

I do like the thought of the cookie cutter cap being a hat to give to followers though, if it was much more mass producable I think itd be fantastic for that.

I actually hardly ever mess with cookie cutters/salt, so much so tjat I thought they WERE 100% still

1 hour ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Personally. I feel like it would almost be faster to just get the shells from sunken chests. Because its a 30% chance to get 4-6 shells from them.
And i find whenever I go on treasure hunting trips, I will usually end up with 2-3 stacks of them (In about 1 season).

But the issue with this is I feel webber wont be THAT good of a sailor (at least not as good as Wendy or Maxwell)

An interesting alternative source, but i’m not sure what you’re talking about on the sailor portion, no ones really a good sailor other than wendy, and wendy is only a “good sailor” because of abi fighting ocean threats. But most characters do fine, and webber will have ranged assistance if he brings an ice staff to direct spitters

To be honest I would hope to see the decorated spider den becomes a decorated spider queen. If it becomes a neutral mob due to, it would be great if not it's fine at least we get a good looking spider queen. 

I also would like to see if the spiders decoration are standard or othey differences and variations 

7 hours ago, Articestone said:

To be honest I would hope to see the decorated spider den becomes a decorated spider queen.

I also would like to see if the spiders decoration are standard or othey differences and variations 

I hope not, i hope it prevents queens, otherwise it could get annoying, but i guess shaving helps, and id likebto see some variation, it said decoration set, so it implys some customization maybe. 
one other thing ive thought of is cave spiders with armor, will their defense be innate like wigfrid and apply separately before armor (75% damage reduction THEN the armor benefits stacked). If thats the case they’ll become one of the toughest mobs in the game while inctheir shell. I think it should work like that because they cant fight back while in their shell anyway, so their goal is to be a wall. But even if it doesnt work like that and its a separate armor piece, it’ll still double durability of the armor while in the shell. 

On 6/18/2021 at 6:38 PM, Copyafriend said:

An interesting alternative source, but i’m not sure what you’re talking about on the sailor portion, no ones really a good sailor other than wendy, and wendy is only a “good sailor” because of abi fighting ocean threats. But most characters do fine, and webber will have ranged assistance if he brings an ice staff to direct spitters

well there are things like Winona being able to make her tape which can be used as boat patches. as well as putting catapults and stuff on boats (Not recommended)
And Wurt is able to hold fish for sanity and hold thermal fish for even longer. As well as she doesn't have a penalty for drowning.
Same kinda happens with Wes, being able to use his life vest balloon to not lose health.
Walter is like a 'budget' Wendy, being able to shoot things from a distance with his slingshot.
Willow having bernie to take care of terror claws and cook with her lighter on a boat can be a lifesaver (but always having wavy jones sucks)

Basically its about who's abilities are still useful out at sea 

On 6/18/2021 at 2:08 PM, Hornete said:

They should really amp it to 75% at least, you'd still need to go out of your way to a brine shoal and kill the annoying cookie cutters to make em. 

Just being able to slap a couple stickers on the dens in the spider-and-gold-infested rocky biome will be a game changer.  Last I tried, neither Wendy nor Wigfrid could clear that mess solo.  (Maybe Moose!Woodie can?  I haven't tried that.)

2 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

Just being able to slap a couple stickers on the dens in the spider-and-gold-infested rocky biome will be a game changer.  Last I tried, neither Wendy nor Wigfrid could clear that mess solo.  (Maybe Moose!Woodie can?  I haven't tried that.)

spider queen hat works like a charm in that situations

Archived