[Spaced Out! Update] - 467765

• Developer

Hello everyone, today's update fixes a few more mergedown issues, as well as has an experimental change to the modding API, please see this thread for details. Thanks!

Changes and Improvements

• Plug Slug codex
  • Work-in-progress laser beam fx for Demolish tasks

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue where loading a save file with a rocket with multiple Solar Panel Modules would not produce power.
  • Made several more gravitas objects demolishable
  • Several DLC-only diagnostics no longer show up in vanilla game

Modding

• Experimental update to the mod API. Full details in the mod forum. This is work-in-progress and may change in the next couple days, feedback appreciated!

View full update

• Like 4
  • Ninja 1

Ooh, so that's why my latest little colony had dupes running all the time, the rocket was no longer providing power... Hoping for a few more fixes though, as I'm really having issues opening the consumables menu, tech tree, or plumbing overlays lately in my nearly-700-cycle save.

I was just thinking yesterday the demolition effect using construction stuff was weird, glad to see the little things are being improved too.

Feedbacks:

Is it really needed to measure gases in mcg? why not mg only? less than 1mg should be vacuum and it would make things more interesting.... Ok, I can't even imagine how many stuff would break by that change, but even so, please give it a thought.

Also I believe it's way past the time to absorb pliers into the game code (even if it needs dupe labor and/or a new tier 3 skill to enable it). The mod developer is nowhere to be seen, and a new fixed version has been thankfully uploaded by someone else just to make it compatible again.

The demolition skill is a great improvement. It's position in t3 is also well thought. Well done!

New Ideas:

Eletric wires could have a property to warm up according to the material it is made of (proportional to the power consumption in the circuit). Would make copper and cobalt (and other materials stated as "suitable for power systems" very desirable for wires.

Very quick improvement: 

Could you make the ESC key exit the rocket interior view while it is landed? I keep hitting it everytime, seems the obvious way to exit that view.

Can't wait for the next updates, please keep up the good work.

Oops I found a bug: the pumps are still working even after their lead wires melted... I had already ordered their replacement for steel ones, but the vent surprised me. Guess the ghost steel wires kept the circuit connected, even though it is not graphically clear.

image.thumb.png.1e1eb6ae02bd4b30b5aa854148851656.png

Edited by MrGuga
  • Like 1

Hmm...

I'm seeing some ghosting of build errands in the new version of the base game - it's always mirroring the same patch of map, so until I cancel the build orders or my dupes build it, I'm going to have that HI! stuck on my screen...

20210615171639_1.thumb.jpg.8dd0830ac745f7dbf3fd8b67c6fe0987.jpg

Speaking of, this is my first time playing Oasisse, and it got me wondering what types of worlds are still to come for Spaced Out‽ (not looking to rush you, just wondering if there are any teasers you can give us)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MrGuga said:

Also I believe it's way past the time to absorb pliers into the game code (even if it needs dupe labor and/or a new tier 3 skill to enable it).

IMO dupe interaction would destroy its usefullness as a great planning tool. But to balance the things, I could propose that it would require some late-game technology to be unlocked.

12 hours ago, MrGuga said:

Could you make the ESC key exit the rocket interior view while it is landed? I keep hitting it everytime, seems the obvious way to exit that view.

Oh yes! Or right click, I use it every time to exit "rocket layer view" the same way I use it for other layers. It just doesn't work :(

Or even bether, either esc or right klick.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pether said:

IMO dupe interaction would destroy its usefullness as a great planning tool.

It would make it less useful certainly, but it's still better than having to deconstruct pipe segments that may contain stuff

Just now, Steve8 said:

It would make it less useful certainly, but it's still better than having to deconstruct pipe segments that may contain stuff

Oh, thats for sure! Pliers are a must in this game

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Steve8 said:

The only way I would personally want the pliers to be integrated in the game is IF and only IF they require dupe interaction and perhaps a skill - doesn't have to be a late game skill, something like plumber skill, tier 1 or 2, would be fine.

I simply do not like the idea of having some kind of "divine intervention" where pipes or wires get cut randomly out of thin air. Everything that is built or deconstructed is done through our duplicants' actions and I think it should stay that way. It would still save up on a few tasks (deconstructing, delivering new material, reconstructing). It might even make the plumber skill less useful, since sometimes it is better to empty pipes before reconfiguring the piping network to avoid the liquid spilling all over the place - this would not happen with the pliers skill.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

The only way I would personally want the pliers to be integrated in the game is IF and only IF they require dupe interaction and perhaps a skill - doesn't have to be a late game skill, something like plumber skill, tier 1 or 2, would be fine.

I simply do not like the idea of having some kind of "divine intervention" where pipes or wires get cut randomly out of thin air.

Why though? That's already exactly what happens for connecting pipes and wires. Why should the inverse be any different? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Why though? That's already exactly what happens for connecting pipes and wires. Why should the inverse be any different? 

You got me on that one - perhaps we shouldnt be able to connect them without duplicant interraction! Perhaps the plier skills should do exactly that in addition to disconnecting? :-O

Edit: There is also a downside to connecting as it is not reversible without deconstructing and reconstructing. So, if you make a mistake (who has never misconnected pipes?), it requires duplicant interraction. This wouldnt be necessary with the pliers if they dont need duplicants at all. Overall, it is not just a QoL thing, but it changes the workload of your dupes, and that is a very important resource in a game like ONI - it needs to be well thought out and balanced. This is pretty much why I have stayed away from that mod.

Edited by NeoDeusMachina
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, pether said:

Don't you get pips from 3rd asteroid? The radioactive one

For the classic start, the 3rd and 2nd asteroid were combined into one, but it looks like forest biomes were excluded.. so no pips and the only other potential source for an arbor tree is the one that can spawn on the water world.   

Truly though, short of putting forest biomes back into the mix on the warp planet (classic start), I think the fix to this should be making biological sources available from the space POIs.   It'd be nice to source more seeds for wheeze worts, and beyond the pips off a classic start, not having access to voles off of the other starts is a roadblock to the critter whisperer achievement.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MrGuga said:

Eletric wires could have a property to warm up according to the material it is made of (proportional to the power consumption in the circuit). Would make copper and cobalt (and other materials stated as "suitable for power systems" very desirable for wires.

This would be impossible to ballance. Either it'd give free heat which could be used to generate infinite power, or you'd need to introduce power loss at each electrical wire segment, which would be annoying and laggy.

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

Current balance requires the presence of a dupe at least somewhere in the vicinity to disconnect things. A skill would be appropriate to keep things from spilling (plumber) but still be able to re-route pipes. 

A lot of this game requires forethought. Pliers sorta removes the need for forethought in steam room builds or off-colony automation. If something breaks on a far away planetoid and you didn't add a toggle switch or a sensor for you to adjust and turn it off then you need to send a dupe there to fix it or disconnect it manually. Pliers removes that need for dupe interaction or player forethought.

• Like 2

Oh, it's demolish that uses laser beam effects, not deconstruct. Can we please get like, reverse-direction animation for deconstruct?
The WIP effects are...definitely lacking right now, needs more sound and something coming from the dupe:ONI_WIPBeamFX.thumb.png.edc1c39dec4f8211a4db792ac9119810.png

On the pliers subject, I agree that I think both attaching and severing should be dupe tasks, not just for balance reasons (avoiding things like using them to toggle things on and off rather than having to build an automation switch), but also so that it's less easy to accidentally connect two systems that shouldn't connect.

1 hour ago, n_t_p said:

Pliers removes that need for dupe interaction or player forethought.

Pliers should be a standard part of sandbox/debug as a minimum though. I'm also for a dupe dependent functionality of pliers in regular gaming.

Talking about switches, they still have a priority for dupes even though they are now usable by gamers... I guess that is an artifact of its previous design...

On a different note, we haven't received the "empty pipes" (toggled by insert key) for conveyors yet, right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JRup said:

Pliers should be a standard part of sandbox/debug as a minimum though. I'm also for a dupe dependent functionality of pliers in regular gaming.

Talking about switches, they still have a priority for dupes even though they are now usable by gamers... I guess that is an artifact of its previous design...

On a different note, we haven't received the "empty pipes" (toggled by insert key) for conveyors yet, right?

I tried emptying some conveyor rails recently and it didn't work, despite showing conveyor rails in the options when issuing the command, and it actually putting if I remember right the empty pipe thing on the rails. It just didn't create an errand.

Checking again, it doesn't give the indicator on the rails.

Edited by Nebbie

If you build pipes of different types and want to connect them you have to build them separately then link them (then cancel any constructions) because the UI will rebuild with a different material any other way.  This doesn't seem fixable, I can't see how a ui would work that could fix it, so forcing dupe presence to connect pipes seems very bad to me.

19 minutes ago, Lacero said:

If you build pipes of different types and want to connect them you have to build them separately then link them (then cancel any constructions) because the UI will rebuild with a different material any other way.  This doesn't seem fixable, I can't see how a ui would work that could fix it, so forcing dupe presence to connect pipes seems very bad to me.

A special button to issues commands for connecting/disconnecting pipes, similar to the harvest designation command having two opposite states in the options.

I actually greatly dislike having to paint over pipes like that. It works the opposite way when trying to connect planned pipes to existing ones, in that canceling isn't right, and instead you must switch to the existing pipe and plan it into the planned pipes.

Edited by Nebbie

48 minutes ago, Lacero said:

One way this could work:

Drawing over disconnected pipes with a pipe, just connects the pipes without ordering replacement. If you actually want to replace the pipes, draw a second time.

• Like 1