Autumn is boring

I don't like the idea of seasons changing throughout the years. I also don't think autumn is necessarily any more boring than spring or especially summer. Spring is just autumn but it frequently rains so you probably want some way to stay dry, and summer is just autumn but either every ~6 minutes you eat an asparagazpacho, you swap thermals out of snow chester, you wear a piece of clothing and every once in awhile tap bamulet for a second / use a luxury fan, or you go in the caves and it's completely indistinguishable from autumn.

If autumn is boring then every season, except maybe winter, is boring. If any season were to get more things added to it I would want it to be spring or summer, non-starting seasons that currently don't have much. Autumn is the last season that should get updated.

7 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I like that autumn can be as hard as you want to make it. Autumn is probably not a relaxing time for me in the early game as time is my biggest obstacle.

I wouldn't be apposed to more content though. Id like to see a harvest time type of event. Maybe a jack-o-lantern type boss that summons jack-o-lantern hounds. Decorate giants pumpkins etc.

We have a Summer Cawnival, now prepare for a.... Autumn Harvest Festival!

Show off your prize winning Pumpkins/Toma Roots/Dragon Fruits/etc. (Similar to how Pearl judges and weighs the fish you give her, putting your biggest veggies on a competition scale brings judgment and rewards!)

But wait, there's more!

Now included, the ability to tame animals! Tame a volt goat, a no-eyed deer, that cute, but oh so shy Koalaphant! Enter them in best of show (Similar to Beefalo customization/decoration.) or enter them in for largest land animal to hit the shores of the Constant! (Basically fatten up your furry friend to be weighed.) 

But wait! There's even more!

Not all in the constant enjoy the Autumn festivities, for on a full moon, Jack rides! The Jack-O-Lantern boss! Oooooooooooooooo. 

Honestly i don't know how feasible any of this is, but i do like your idea of a harvest type event, either a once you click this, it starts a 15 day timer, goal is to grow as many crops as possible and turn them in for points. At the end of the 15 day timer, your scored for how many crops you turned in and given prizes. I do also like a jack-o-lantern type boss, that just sounds like fun. 

I like how autumn gives me breathing room to actually do stuff. Summer is the "boring" season. Also people wouldn't complain about smoldering as much if Klei simply added things like reeds, bushes, tufts etc. to regrowth mechanic. Not worthless gekkos that destroy said non-renewables and serve no purpose beyond that.

2 minutes ago, Smife said:

I like how autumn gives me breathing room to actually do stuff. Summer is the "boring" season. Also people wouldn't complain about smoldering as much if Klei simply added things like reeds, bushes, tufts etc. to regrowth mechanic. Not worthless gekkos that destroy said non-renewables and serve no purpose beyond that.

Kind of a shame the cawnival didn't help summer out compared to yotb that was a qol for Beefalos.

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Grass geckos let you make a grass gecko farm which is a lot better than a grass tuft farm (maybe unless you're Wickerbottom). 

Most of the time gekko farms are built to prevent more spawns. It's not right when you can't simply have a traditional tuft plantation and must resort to cheese. I'm not saying using gekkos to farm grass is bad. Players should have the freedom to decide how they want to approach this.

The leaf stacks shouldn't slow down beefalo IMO. The Wholeworm sounds problematic, but not because of the enemy itself, no, but because of the wormholes it spawns. Is there a limit to how many can spawn? If you're killing it every year to avoid being sucked up (also probably prevent by beefalo), you're gonna have a lot of wormholes, especially in long term megabase worlds. That brings up another problem, what if you decided to megabase in a deciduous? Would the leaves spawn even though all the trees and turf is gone? I don't fancy having mini bee queen honey piles scattered about my base, and the only ways to get rid of them cause destruction ( the fire burst explosion hurts walls, weather pains break everything, bearger is bearger). Obviously most people proably won't megabase, let alone in the deciduous, but for the small percentage of people who do, having to break your base every autumn sounds like a feature I'd turn off right as it's implemented.

The idea of hunting down the wholeworm is kinda cool, I think. Really I'll take anything to do lategame outside of mindlessly killing bee queen/dragonfly/fuelweaver/whatever other enemy has items I want. Maybe instead of spawning a wormhole, you get a staff that can spawn a linked pair of wormholes, but only 1 pair can exist at a time.

An actual suggestion for autumn could be breezes. These wouldn't push items around like in shipwrecked, they'd just be breezes that bring a variety of items with them. Similar to what you said with tumbleweeds, but less items and you not having to go to the desert to get them.

Any content added to autumn should be purely optional, similar to mactusk in winter, something that is there, but you can ignore entirely if you want (unless you base next to his camp).

7 hours ago, Smife said:

Most of the time gekko farms are built to prevent more spawns. It's not right when you can't simply have a traditional tuft plantation and must resort to cheese. I'm not saying using gekkos to farm grass is bad. Players should have the freedom to decide how they want to approach this.

Most of the time this farm is made because generates grass. Is way better that picking grass from grass tufts since you dont need to do the picking animation and, if is in a loaded zone, generates tons of grass passivaly instead of needing a lot of minutes to pick the grass from the turf everytime it grows

The only best alternative is having a wickerbottom and a lureplant set up

On 6/16/2021 at 4:35 AM, Smife said:

Also people wouldn't complain about smoldering as much if Klei simply added things like reeds, bushes, tufts etc. to regrowth mechanic.

I'm pretty sure most people complain about smoldering because they don't want to build fling-o-matics everywhere in their megabase in the late-game just to prevent wildfires and their entire base from going down in flames.

I know that's why I complain about wildfires personally :p

its both really - whether its nonrenewable resources, especially something as important as reeds, or whether its all the logs / stone / gold / time / ect you used to craft the perfect kitchen nook lol.

People have said it before - and its true - Nothing in DST is really that hard.  Smolder isn't hard, dfly isn't hard, hounds aren't hard... in a vacuum.  But once you have many things going on at once, you overlook a hound bark, or a little puff of smoke, forget to grab an extra armor piece and BAM it all collapses in on you.  The threat of what wildfire CAN do if you miss it is pretty devastating.  ppl can post all day about "Just use water balloons / ice staff / lux fan / build 1000 fligno" all they want, it doesn't stop it from being a MASSIVE moral hit when you get set back by losing your reed trap, pig farm, or kitchen nook all b/c someone left the base a day late, or boated by the oasis, or w/e :\  feelsbadman

I'm the type of player that enjoys designing bases, and find very little interest in combat and/or exploration. Which is why autumn is so nice. Nothing to disturb you while you're just building away. Hounds and giants are pests, but snow is the worst of them all.

Infact if I could suggest anything it'd be the ability to remove snow temporarily with a shovel so the player can see the ground. But we all can't have nice things.

But yeah. No offense but your suggestions sounds very annoying.

Autumn to me looks like is meant to be a "respite season" among the madness and shenanigans of the rest (default settings), no matter how old the world gets, even in Endless mode. More-so if host wants new players of all skill levels to pop-in over the course of respective session. Sure, some form of progression would be desirable now we have that 1-macro-event-triggered-by-player (Celestial Champion fight after Moon Storm quest) that can "up the stakes" generally by ushering-in something akin to Terraria's "hard mode" (to certain degrees). Yet a respite period is still needed, since game's not only Survival but Sandbox as well (meaning building-and-decorating leisure time).

Archived