ingame art style

I wonder if we got any new artists recently.

After all, Klei 'partnered with' Tencent to not have to worry too much about the money and to grow as a team (gotta love capitalism).

I'm sure Tencent had some artists to spare.

17 hours ago, Atkvin said:

I haven't seen much of the Cawnival ingame yet, but the carpet/yard in particular does look off to me.

I think this angle of the carpet just doesn't look quite right because of how asymmetric the design is(looking at how the larger semicircles align, the stars) and its colors especially stick out on this turf. I can imagine the colors working much better on lighter grassy turf, and not having turf mixing under it on top of that.

They should probably have worked with thinner lines and added more detail and glossy textures - normal turfs where all structures are placed on are detailed as heck, the yard being a place for decor isn't much of an excuse, and stands out too much without it even if intended for prominence. That and allowing the yard to adapt to turf it's on, or more simply adding a chunk of bright green turf around and inside the yard should hopefully easily solve the color issue.

As is you can see the lower lines are thicker than the player character's, despite the carpet not having the gameplay importance or visual detail to back it up its prominence, and again, it's too inflexible on dark turf.

I haven't played DST in a while, but looking backwards I certainly do see the startling lack of detail, textures and disarmingly more vibrant colors when checking out the Year of Beefalo costumes in particular.

I don't think it's some big, moral problem we need to petition to the devs but I do hope for those assets that were rushed or not iterated properly, they take note of it and amend the artstyle/advice the artist of these elements to fit with the rest of the game better

Reveal hidden contents

673806745_preview_8072ba1146001d648b2fc94b.png.ee35d53d20251f34d78b33c74d077682.png.031ae38a7e5ea5d04fafd17e747aeb7b.pngfc781dfe9a4ec33323c1420b21233ae6.thumb.png.9e86c3e16796ce287ece31072cdb5c89.png

(*cough* forreal though, whatever happened to some of the skin portraits starting from like the Magmatic set onwards)

iirc for the Magmatic skins portraits, they are done by the animators not the character portrait artists, hence the drastic art style change. Still not my favourite cos of the obvious style clash (less sketchy line art details, more saturated colours etc., which are suited more for the animated shorts), though I wonder what actually happened during that time: staff shortage?

Also I didn't pay much attention to art style changes over the years, though I also noticed the cawnival tree turf's cyan-ish (looks more green) colour doesn't look cyan as opposed to the announcement art, other than looking a bit too clean.

As for the asymmetrical turf, thanks to the aerial view mod, here's the turf in top view and another angle, so you can see how it looks like and judge:

20210605194841_1.thumb.jpg.63c62495f6ae9627a5d42ea05479b8e7.jpg

20210605194918_1.thumb.jpg.0e38fe3deed5e55a9aca8f3ab10aa622.jpg

12 hours ago, Atkvin said:

No professional here, and I'm not sure I've ever paid much attention to the intricacies of DS's style - but felt like giving a shake at prettying up this screenshot.

image.thumb.png.4a1eafa08211825c1183c4f1e2b2c206.png

807386392_cawnivalredrawnonsmokinchips.thumb.png.c963b04d1d0471542a0fe37955123718.png

Thanks dude! Especially the tree is looking way cooler with a little more shading. Now maybe just a few more scribbly lines on the carpets outline or something. Please, someone make a mod for this. Also, we maybe just all need to send our applications to Klei (not kidding, I would have done this long ago, if I weren't sitting at the other fricking side of the ocean, sigh. (Not as artist though)). Btw, is there a thread already where people show of their own art or gameplay ideas? Wanna see more of this!

unpopular opinion apparently; tree is great and so is the carpet, especially that we have to put lotsa deco on it for the tree to evolve

it is the carnival after all, fun and splashes of colour, it doesn't need to fit in the landscape, carnivals stand out and that's fine

12 hours ago, Szczuku said:

After all, Klei 'partnered with' Tencent to not have to worry too much about the money and to grow as a team (gotta love capitalism).

I understand your concerns, but it seems that everytime something negative about the game is mentioned you bring Tencent into the conversation. 

That skins in every update are just for easy money, although some updates from last years also included skins, you even speculated this summer festival will just be an excuse for a skin collection; that the lack of creepy stuff is to appeal Tencent's regulations, which while it has a little cohesion, can also be coincidence for the lack of content; and now claiming that it could be from Tecent artists, maybe it could be from a new artist not Tencent related or maybe from the ones who usually use more saturated colors for other promotional material.

I can't assure if Tencent doesn't major influence in Klei, even if Klei said they don't we cannot reassure that it's true. However you imply these negative events are because of Tencent and not considering this could be Klei themselves that did poorly direction decisions.

While we're at it, I'm also curious to know if there were any designs in recent updates, that you all did like especially. I'd like to point out the lunar island backgrounds in the last shorts and the burning fuelweaver transition in the gameplay trailer. Smooth af, the last one with some mysterious "oldschool" trailer aesthetics that made the community go insane in search for a puzzle. ((Just stop drawing Wickerbottom this way though, pls.))

16 hours ago, Atkvin said:

807386392_cawnivalredrawnonsmokinchips.thumb.png.c963b04d1d0471542a0fe37955123718.png

I love it. Give it to me now.

The edges of the tapestry could use a couple extra touches and the trunk's shading hits my eyes as being too two-tone plain, but this is very much improved.

For a positive note, I'm generally pleased with the majority of Cawnival's art. Those large flat coloured blocks are the only sticking point. Same with the carpets of Year of the Beefalo.

I thought you were right for a while, then I played the event with friends and filled the carpet with so much decor it doesn't look plain in the slightest. Same with the tree that got decorations as we advanced. I don't know if I don't know art or something, but wouldn't the decorations feel stuffy if the carpet itself was really detailed? Because idk about you, but the trees always looked stuffed for me when I put Winter Feast decorations on them. 

But yes, the carpet on it's own does look pretty weird. Good thing I don't plan on leaving it like that. 

18 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Friendly reminder that partial ownership does not allow either side to provide free services or products to the other party, other than dividend payments sent to Tencent and the other owners.

Other than licensing fees from New Home, Klei is probably done getting money from Tencent.

Yeah as many have sadly stated, the OG artists of DS/T have abandoned the ship, thus leading into the slow but somewhat noticeable change of style in their game, sure, simplicity really sticks out like a sore thumb but who knows? Maybe the new artists will surely improve over time and deliver us the good old burtonesque look we all know and adore

Archived