Endless mode | Resource Sink | Game Objective

Oni is a space simulation game that is lacking on the end-game objective front. During the early game, the goal is to survive. But in the end-game, we have almost unlimited resources without any actual use for those. 

You can build something for the sake of making it, not because it will help your colony's progress.

To solve that, I created a scenario for an endless mode:

The game starts with three dupes. There will be no printing pods (you can make the setting optional). But there will be a few refrigerated dupes in the starting planet that you can find after exploring the map (randomly generated, so you must deal with them). There will be several other neutral planetoids that the player can get more dupes from. 

The rest of the planetoids and dupes are captured by aliens, and to release them, the player should overcome their defense systems on the captured planetoids. 

If a player initiates the attack, that means the alien can attack your other planetoids as well (something like meteor showers, nothing more), so you need to have a defense system before initiating the war (resource sink).

To free a new planetoid, the player needs to add fighting modules to rockets (another resource sink). 
The fights can be as simple as a chance game based on the power of your space fleet vs alien defense system. You also need to have maintenance for the rockets after every battle (resource sink).

After the player freed the planetoids, they will find more refrigerated dupes on those planetoids. 

Results:  

1. A noble game goal (freeing slaved dupes) 
  2. An excellent resource sink (e.g., needs constant 2000kwh for defense system (anti-rocket system) that protecting the space of each planetoid)
  3. Endless mode with tangible progress 

pezuwoB.pngk60sUoa.png

Painting by Ellilea

@minespatch In colors below, perhaps @Ellilea allows you to integrate here nice frame picture in to your artwork...As artist collaboration :confused:

Happyness and peace, the symbol of the nice Ellilea picture, could be the dream of the fighting scenario parties :congratulatory:

In that way your not competing with the nice :distracted: "Mommy hatchling picture" :bee:

Never compete with a fighting scene against loving mother emotions :lol: Inclusion...

21 minutes ago, minespatch said:

What do I need to draw?

52 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

Below has been edited by babba for art request :p

...There will be several other neutral planetoids that the player can get more dupes from. 500DUPES! babba fun note :concern::victorious:
The rest of the planetoids and dupes are captured by aliens, and to release them, the player should overcome their defense systems on the captured planetoids

If a player initiates the attack, that means the alien can attack your other planetoids as well (something like meteor showers, nothing more), so you need to have a defense system before initiating the war (resource sink).
To free a new planetoid, the player needs to add fighting modules to rockets (another resource sink). 
The fights can be as simple as a chance game based on the power of your space fleet vs alien defense system. You also need to have maintenance for the rockets after every battle (resource sink).

...needs constant 2000kwh for defense system (anti-rocket system) that protecting the space of each planetoid)

A large power and resource sink? Maybe dupes could start mining cryptocurrency. Dupecoins. The more they mined the more power and machines they need to mine more. [insert coin image with Meep`s face on it]

Or something more scientific. The technological singularity. Tech so advanced that it advances iself further faster and faster on it`s own. It would demand an increasing amount of resources but in return it would improve various in game systems based on how long you can maintain it running. The goal is to keep it running forever and all your systems getting to infinite efficiency.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:53 PM, evilcat19xx said:

Oni is a space simulation game that is lacking on the end-game objective front. During the early game, the goal is to survive. But in the end-game, we have almost unlimited resources without any actual use for those. 

You can build something for the sake of making it, not because it will help your colony's progress.

To solve that, I created a scenario for an endless mode:

The game starts with three dupes. There will be no printing pods (you can make the setting optional). But there will be a few refrigerated dupes in the starting planet that you can find after exploring the map (randomly generated, so you must deal with them). There will be several other neutral planetoids that the player can get more dupes from. 

The rest of the planetoids and dupes are captured by aliens, and to release them, the player should overcome their defense systems on the captured planetoids. 

After the player freed the planetoids, they will find more refrigerated dupes on those planetoids. 

Results:  

1. A noble game goal (freeing slaved dupes) 
  2. An excellent resource sink (e.g., needs constant 2000kwh for defense system (anti-rocket system) that protecting the space of each planetoid)
  3. Endless mode with tangible progress 

pezuwoB.pngk60sUoa.png

Painting by Ellilea

I don't think you realized that ONI is a sandbox game (i.e. DOES NOT HAVE AN END GAME)

1 hour ago, Unfawkable said:

Don't think aliens you should fight are a good theme for ONI, but I like the idea of only getting new dupes via unfreezing them and not having the printer at all. Would like to see this as a gameplay variant.

I like it!

4 hours ago, Unfawkable said:

but I like the idea of only getting new dupes via unfreezing them and not having the printer at all. Would like to see this as a gameplay variant.

It is more natural and creates more challenges for players. Players reject undesirable dupes, but if you have no other option, you need to work with what you have.

4 hours ago, Unfawkable said:

Don't think aliens you should fight are a good theme for ONI

I personally like to see more intelligent life in the universe. But this is only a suggestion to solve those issues. It does not need to be aliens. 

3 hours ago, TuxSam123 said:

I don't think you realized that ONI is a sandbox game (i.e. DOES NOT HAVE AN END GAME)

I do, and that is my(and a group of Oni players) issue . I copied one of my older comment here:

"I think this is the difference between two groups of Oni players^^^^

First group: most of the people you see on this forum are looking at the game as Legos (sandbox mode/ creative mode). 

Personally, I always looking for a set of objectives. That is where Oni lacking. "

11 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

I personally like to see more intelligent life in the universe. But this is only a suggestion to solve those issues. It does not need to be aliens. 

The game does not need a end game if there's more life as we explore in the universe.

19 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Or something more scientific.

'Call home' project: drop a lot of sattelites around the map till your signal reaches home

Astroforming: nudge a bunch of asteroid fields into forming an asteroid to call a home

SS13 resort: asteroids are good and comfy, but surely dupes will prefer having windows in their bedrooms aboard large resort space station over mood-walls.

2 hours ago, evilcat19xx said:

Personally, I always looking for a set of objectives. That is where Oni lacking. 

I don't think you understood. Think of ONI as minecraft, which is same genre as ONI, (sandbox game). If you want objectives, go play some other game. Sandbox type games should not have a set of objectives (ending), it's the opposite of what sandbox stands for.

2 hours ago, TuxSam123 said:

...If you want objectives, go play some other game. Sandbox type games should not have a set of objectives (ending), it's the opposite of what sandbox stands for.

Condescending comment dear TuxSam. Other forum users will not tell you what to do in life or what to play. There is players which like to maybe have developers set objectives in games ( in ONI ). Also, in my opinion, any game can be an endless series of own set personal objectives. :p

Game achievements can also be seen as a form of set developer achievement, perhaps depending if the player likes to complete them intentionally. This thread just made me open the colony summary :beguiled:, I find it very cool to see the graphics and sounds of completed achievements.

36 minutes ago, babba said:

Condescending comment dear TuxSam. Other forum users will not tell you what to do in life or what to play. There is players which like to maybe have developers set objectives in games ( in ONI ). Also, in my opinion, any game can be an endless series of own set personal objectives. :p

Game achievements can also be seen as a form of set developer achievement, perhaps depending if the player likes to complete them intentionally. This thread just made me open the colony summary :beguiled:, I find it very cool to see the graphics and sounds of completed achievements.

ok

Sandbox and more goal oriented modes are also in no way mutually exclusive. Plenty of games out there do both (e.g. Factorio). If something like this were to get implemented it would just be an option.

Still don't see why we would need to fight aliens. I get that there's a group of people who think oni should have an endgame (IMHO i don't think that should be a thing), but  I just don't think that aliens are the way to do it. It just doesn't fit ONI's style.

Defrosting dupes in other planetoids to force you to have another way of playing (yes)

Aliens?! (no, just no)

Even if its just "Visitors" to the colony, I would be glad to welcome space tourists to my asteroid hotels and to trade with new parties. :p

I find the game currently a bit lonely - My opinion.

image.thumb.png.9ce006cdd934842276e100cbde14ad44.png Receiving ice skates from visitor gang "Wilson", as pedestal trophy

Archived